ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s final four

Dointhatrag

Sophomore
Sep 3, 2017
This is hard to watch. Layups and threes is all that happens around a bunch of turnovers. Kaitlin Clark may be a great womens player but she is overrated and wouldn’t come close to making a men’s p5 roster for perspective. If I could change the channel at the bar I would.

I hope UConn wins. I guess

We got next. Haha. Yet the nba continues the wnba losing money every year in the name of equity

This is hard to watch. Layups and threes is all that happens around a bunch of turnovers. Kaitlin Clark may be a great womens player but she is overrated and wouldn’t come close to making a men’s p5 roster for perspective. If I could change the channel at the bar I would.

I hope UConn wins. I guess

Who on earth thinks that Clark, or any other women's college player for that matter, would make a men's P5 roster?

Based on all the commercial money you’d think she would be good enough but it’s all perspective. Smartest kid on the short bus I guess

As (I assume) a fan of a basketball team that typically plays lots of guy who would have no chance at all of playing at a higher level, what difference does it make? Are Pitt's players also the "smartest kids on the short bus"?

If you don't want to watch women's college basketball because they aren't the highest level of the game, why do you watch men's college basketball, which is obviously no where close to the highest level of the game?

The WNBA lost about $12 million last year. Tesla lost over $14 billion last year. Shut it down!
So let’s find dei and electric because it doesn’t make money but makes us feel good. Got it
As (I assume) a fan of a basketball team that typically plays lots of guy who would have no chance at all of playing at a higher level, what difference does it make? Are Pitt's players also the "smartest kids on the short bus"?

If you don't want to watch women's college basketball because they aren't the highest level of the game, why do you watch men's college basketball, which is obviously no where close to the highest level of the game?
the men’s game is at least entertaining. I’m just sick of all the propping up of this crap like it is something great and should get the same respect.

Can’t say I disagree but Clark is a badass and so is Buckets.
Clark's performance against LSU was spectacular. She was breaking ankles and then draining 27' - 28' 3's, many of them off balance or falling away. The game does lack the uber-athlete element that makes the men's game so enticing, but it's pure basketball and tends to be more old school/fundamentally sound.

So let’s find dei and electric because it doesn’t make money but makes us feel good. Got it

the men’s game is at least entertaining. I’m just sick of all the propping up of this crap like it is something great and should get the same respect.
The point is that your financial analysis is flawed. A business can lose money and still have value.

Interesting defensive strategy from Iowa in this fourth quarter. Seems the plan is to leave someone wide open and hope they miss

Clark's performance against LSU was spectacular. She was breaking ankles and then draining 27' - 28' 3's, many of them off balance or falling away. The game does lack the uber-athlete element that makes the men's game so enticing, but it's pure basketball and tends to be more old school/fundamentally sound.
Her passing ability is sick too. Plus she’s a dawg. They’re doing everything to try to deny her but she just doesn’t stop.

I am not a women's hoops fans but 12 million people watched Iowa vs LSU in the Elite 8 which was the highest rated college basketball game EVER on ESPN (men's or women's). So, the people have spoken. They like it. And Iowa/South Carolina will pull in NFL style ratings. It may even beat the men's final, which is basically playes at midnight on a Monday.

So we can all agree that women’s college basketball is about the equivalent of boys high school basketball
Who cares? Let the girls/women play.
Without going into detail I can tell you, it was a sad time when many high schools had few opportunities for girls to enjoy a high level of competition.

Reactions: rockypanther
Wow what a shockingly pleasant thread.

Whatever, in the real world, the TV ratings were sky high for this game and will be for the finals as well. UConn had a much better defensive plan than LSU fwiw.

Bad call by the ref.

It’s not as athletic but still exciting and the strategy and fundamentals are just as good as many men.

So we can all agree that women’s college basketball is about the equivalent of boys high school basketball

I can agree that Iowa would be close for about the first three minutes against Canevin, and then it would be a blowout for Canevin.

But I enjoyed the women's games this tourney for what they were. Its not the same as the men's game, nowhere near the athleticism. But the ball movement/cutting can be fun to watch, you don't see that with the men as much. So I take it for what it is and enjoy watching it.

I can agree that Iowa would be close for about the first three minutes against Canevin, and then it would be a blowout for Canevin.

But I enjoyed the women's games this tourney for what they were. Its not the same as the men's game, nowhere near the athleticism. But the ball movement/cutting can be fun to watch, you don't see that with the men as much. So I take it for what it is and enjoy watching it.

That's what I don't get. I mean if the Pitt men were playing the Celtics Pitt would lose by 60 or 70 points. Maybe more. So what? We still watch the Pitt men play all the time. If the Pitt football team was playing the Stillers they would get completely blown off the field. So what? We watch the Pitt football team all the time.

If you want to argue that you can't watch some sporting event because it's not the highest level of the game a college sports message board seems to be an especially stupid place to do it.

There isn’t a player in the men’s game who I feel like I have to have my eyes on at all times so I don’t miss what they do next like I do when watching Caitlin Clark.

There isn’t a player in the men’s game who I feel like I have to have my eyes on at all times so I don’t miss what they do next like I do when watching Caitlin Clark.

really reminds me of watching Larry Bird when he played for Indiana State. Plus the same local kid elevating the hometown school angle at a place that isn't a traditional power in the sport.

Reactions: PITTstorm

That's what I don't get. I mean if the Pitt men were playing the Celtics Pitt would lose by 60 or 70 points. Maybe more. So what? We still watch the Pitt men play all the time. If the Pitt football team was playing the Stillers they would get completely blown off the field. So what? We watch the Pitt football team all the time.

If you want to argue that you can't watch some sporting event because it's not the highest level of the game a college sports message board seems to be an especially stupid place to do it.
Those people must really hate the half time games at Pitt, where a 6th grade team is playing. I love them, because I know I could compete at that level!

The top NCAA women's team would win some of the WPIAL boys classifications fairly easily? Canevin? Are they even good? The Iowa ladies would beat them by 30. Lincoln Park would beat Iowa and a few other WPIAL boys teams.

This thread… Jesus H..,

Reminds me of a video I saw of some idiot 5’9” dude who was somewhat athletic claiming he’d “destroy” Clark in a one v one…

No he wouldn’t.,, his silly ass would get smoked 100%…. Put down the booze ya blowhard.

TV ratings are mind-boggling. Iowa/UConn was highest rated basketball broadcast ever on ESPN, topping Cavs/Celtics Game 6 a few years back. Highest rated non-NFL, non-college football broadcast on ANY network in years

Reactions: DruidTM
The top NCAA women's team would win some of the WPIAL boys classifications fairly easily? Canevin? Are they even good? The Iowa ladies would beat them by 30. Lincoln Park would beat Iowa and a few other WPIAL boys teams.
That’s not reality. The women would get shot after shot blocked and have trouble getting any rebounds at all.

They’re essentially two different sports, you should just appreciate each one for what they bring.

The Central Catholic 9th grade team would win fairly easily also. It's a stupid discussion, appreciate the woman's game for what is is.

Reactions: Parkview57
Fundamentals are something you focus on when you don’t have the athletic ability. You have to run plays when you can’t score on your own or make a layup or three pointer consistently.

The Central Catholic 9th grade team would win fairly easily also. It's a stupid discussion, appreciate the woman's game for what is is.

No they would not. The Iowa women would beat the CC 9th graders by 30. You dont realize how bad WPIAL basketball is. They'd beat a good amount of 6A teams.

Fundamentals are something you focus on when you don’t have the athletic ability. You have to run plays when you can’t score on your own or make a layup or three pointer consistently.
The most fundamentally strong and skilled men's players I ever watched were mostly also really good athletes: Jordan, Kobe, Kareem, CP3. Bird and Duncan pre injuries I guess you can debate but they were still probably more athletic than they got credit for.

This is true in many sports. Floyd Mayweather, George St Pierre, Griffey Jr, Ohtani, Jerry Rice, Anthony Munoz.

If you lack key fundamentals you're just leaving wins on the table (Shaq or Wilt on the foul line etc.)

Anyway you play against your opponents which for women are other women. Theyre not going to play against LeBron. Paige Bueckers is a very good athlete in addition to being skilled. So was Diana Turasi and so on.

I enjoy watching women’s sports While it’s not high level basketball it’s still entertaining much like watching lower level men’s sports or high school sports. In some ways it’s more pure in that it’s a more team oriented game and is not as corrupted by big money

I think where people get turned off (and maybe that was the OPs point) is the hype around Clark and the woman’s tourney. Some are comparing it to men’s hoops (I heard someone comparing Clark to Pete Maravich). The truth is Iowa and South Carolina would get beaten by most boys highschool teams like the women’s national soccer team got curb stomped by a boys high school team. I think it’s interesting to compare level of dominance in their sport but that’s where the comparison ends. They are two different games period, to be enjoyed for their own unique qualities (or not if that’s not your thing)

Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT