ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s World Cup

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
When Spain beat England 1-0 to win the competition, there were 11 Barcelona Feminina players on the pitch: 9 for Spain and 2 for England. I wonder if that has happened before in any major soccer competition.

In 2012, Barcelona had 6 starters on the winning Spanish men’s’ team, and I think that tied a record set by Uruguay when they won their first World Cup.

When Spain beat England 1-0 to win the competition, there were 11 Barcelona Feminina players on the pitch: 9 for Spain and 2 for England. I wonder if that has happened before in any major soccer competition.

In 2012, Barcelona had 6 starters on the winning Spanish men’s’ team, and I think that tied a record set by Uruguay when they won their first World Cup.
Yeah no disrespect but for me there should be an asterisk beside this title because we simply couldn’t get our house in order. I’m just glad they beat England though because I wouldn’t be able to stand the World Cup “coming home” crap…when it’s home is really in the US of A. They may have invented the game 150 years ago, but the womens game is OUR game. We are the country of title IX and women’s opportunity in sport.

It would be cool though if 9 of our players could play on the same team and train together year round.

Back to England, I found it laughable that after one World Cup hat trick, English fans had Lauren James pegged as the best player in the world after one performance. Of course she then went out and took a red card and was suspended a day later. They are the most delusional people in sports.

Personally, I always have considered English fans delusional. They watch cricket for god’s sake. That has to kill a lot of brain cells.

Spain had never made a dent in women’s soccer until 2020. Now they have the U17, U20 and World’s Cup winners. Of the 8 who started today, only 5 regularly start for Barca. Putellas, who won the Balon d’Or, has been injured and came off the bench. The two English players usually start. So does Graham Hansen who plays for one of the Scandinavian sides. The other regular starters play for France and Germany and Brazil.

Also remember that 15 regular Spanish international players threatened to boycott the tourney if the coach wasn’t fired. Only 3 of them were named to the squad.

How has it happened so fast? La Masia went coed a few years back. This year, La Masia has its first American girls enrolled.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Spanish FA is doing it right.

There's also a picture that I saw that shows their coach, the one who the players rebelled against for his behavior, grabbing the boob of one of their female sideline people after they scored the goal in the final. Apparently he gave her a hug with his arm on her shoulder, and then as they were breaking the hug he slid his hand down and gave a squeeze.

There's also a picture that I saw that shows their coach, the one who the players rebelled against for his behavior, grabbing the boob of one of their female sideline people after they scored the goal in the final. Apparently he gave her a hug with his arm on her shoulder, and then as they were breaking the hug he slid his hand down and gave a squeeze.
Sounds like our Pres…err never mind.

And in the news today, Megan Rapinoe has weighed in on the issue. So glad about that. I didn’t know how I should think until we heard from her.

Reactions: joeypitt
The Rubiales story is not just the biggest story on Spanish television; it is pretty much the only story. I didn’t know who they guy was before this incident, but you now can’t turn on a tv without seeing his face.

I first saw the kiss live when he did it. My initial reaction was “what the fu**?” It so clearly was not consensual. You do not grab the back of a woman’s head forcefully and push it into yours in a consensual kiss. I think if he had immediately apologized for it and said it happened in the emotions which overcame him at that moment, he might have gotten through it. But, he exacerbated it with every statement he made. They have a habit of having 2 to 4 panelists briefly discuss news on some big stories after they show the stories. My Spanish isn’t good but doesn’t have to be to see none of them are defending him.

And, it’s carried over into other areas. Today the Minister of Public Works, a woman, had a press conference on some new project being built. The first question was about Rubiales. You don’t need to know much Spanish to tell she was disgusted by what he did and by him.

81 members of the National Team signed a letter stating they will not play again unless he is fired. That is every player in the national team and the U-20 team. The Sevilla and Cadiz men’s teams both wore anti-Rubiales shirts during warmups. It’s getting bigger every day.

Rubiales face doesn’t help. He seems to have this perpetual smirk on his face like “I can do what I want and no one can do anything about it.” He has the kind of face that needs to be punched. Hard.

He held a special meeting of his federation today where he gave what was described as a defiant speech. When he came into the room about 1/3 of the audience, sitting in the front, gave him a standing ovation. So did a few people on the stage. You got to figure those people in the front were his hand-picked supporters. But, if it was supposed to demonstrate an overwhelming show of support, it failed miserably

He is a dead man walking. The faster he realizes it the less painful the ultimate outcome will be. Spanish Federation presidents make a lot of under the table money. They vote on where the Wotld Cup gets played. Anyone not think Russia and Qatar paid big time for those votes. Rubiales doesn’t want to lose that cash flow. He hasn’t gotten to vote on a WC site yet. But, he won’t last out the month of September.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT