ADVERTISEMENT

Women losing to Duquesne

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
At the half down 40-28.

I know Duquesne has had good teams. Nevertheless, if we are going to compete in the ultra strong ACC, we need to be beating Duquesne and beating them regularly instead of the reverse which has been the trend for several years.

Maybe 2nd half will be better today?

Final was 81-62. Watched 2nd half. Duquesne had excellent offensive execution and shot very well. We did not do either well. Our vertically challenged guards had problems driving to the hoop and our bigs lacked offensive skills around the hoop compared to their Duquesne counterparts.

Just saw the final score. Didn't expect that, especially at home. DC is right. Duquesne has a nice program, and are very competitive in the A10, but it's not like they're a top 25 type program dominating a smaller league, they've only been to the NCAAs once. No way should they be dominating the series the way they are, and it's going back nearly 2 decades, with only the high point under Agnus going against this. It's too early to judge coach White, but to be dominated at home by a Dukes team that lost their best players from last year is very concerning. This is not the veteran squad with Omogrosso, they have a bunch of new players as well. Very sad result. I don't want to hear the "it's their Super Bowl" excuse either. When a team beats you year after year like this, it shouldn't be too hard to make your team see this as a big game, and approach it accordingly. :mad:

Actually, Pitt won at Duquesne last year.

Go Pitt.
I know they did. It snapped something like an 8 out of 9 streak. Until they can string a few wins together, last year means about as much as the Dukes men winning the City Game a few years back. It's really not the loss itself that's troublesome, it's how easily they beat us. Forgive me for being cranky, I just watched Pitt football lay another egg. :mad:

Last edited:
Our old turnover bugaboo killed us today. When your point guard scores 22 you think that's great, and then when you see she had 0 assists and 7 turnovers, well, not so great.

Our old turnover bugaboo killed us today. When your point guard scores 22 you think that's great, and then when you see she had 0 assists and 7 turnovers, well, not so great.

I wasn't aware of her stats, but watching the game I'm not surprised. She's
talented, but really needs to learn how to play in control.
Duquesne was very well coached IMO. They executed their offense
very well, played with discipline, and had us playing raggedy ass
on offense.
We were more athletic, but it didn't matter, Duquesne played basketball
the way it should be played. They worked the ball on offense, didn't
rush, and found the open player for often wide open looks. It didn't
hurt that they could hit threes like they did.

We looked like the multi freshman team that we are.

I wasn't aware of her stats, but watching the game I'm not surprised. She's
talented, but really needs to learn how to play in control.
Duquesne was very well coached IMO. They executed their offense
very well, played with discipline, and had us playing raggedy ass
on offense.
We were more athletic, but it didn't matter, Duquesne played basketball
the way it should be played. They worked the ball on offense, didn't
rush, and found the open player for often wide open looks. It didn't
hurt that they could hit threes like they did.

We looked like the multi freshman team that we are.
Patience will be needed. Hopefully there will be some high points to balance out the low points during the season.

Patience will be needed. Hopefully there will be some high points to balance out the low points during the season.

Very true about patience. I just don't like seeing them go backwards
discipline wise. They were very undisciplined on offense today.
Harris the pg led the way. She has talent, but the coach really has
to get her to settle down. Her play affected the others around her,
and IMO they all rushed and forced it throughout the game.
They need a lot of help inside. I want to see what the two bigs
bring us.

Very true about patience. I just don't like seeing them go backwards
discipline wise. They were very undisciplined on offense today.
Harris the pg led the way. She has talent, but the coach really has
to get her to settle down. Her play affected the others around her,
and IMO they all rushed and forced it throughout the game.
They need a lot of help inside. I want to see what the two bigs
bring us.

Don’t know who their post player was but she must have scored 3-4 baskets while closely guarded using post moves we can only wish Judkins or Igbokwe could execute. And there was one tall Duquesne player who made several corner 3 pointers in the 2nd half. That is at least two players they had that appeared to have more talent than any of our players.

I know they did. It snapped something like an 8 out of 9 streak. Until they can string a few wins together, last year means about as much as the Dukes men winning the City Game a few years back. It's really not the loss itself that's troublesome, it's how easily they beat us. Forgive me for being cranky, I just watched Pitt football lay another egg. :mad:

The TV broadcaster said Duquesne has won 9 of the last 11 meetings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT