UNC
VT
ND

Road Only
BC
GT
Miami
UVa

Pitt really has to put a lot of thought and effort into scheduling now that we appear to have a program that has turned the corner a bit.

- Do we continue to schedule WVU? I am leaning towards no but if we do, we certainly have to play the game later than Halloween. There's no juice for that game that early and I dont think its a good idea to be playing a HOF coach that early especially when you will always have somewhat of a new team. If you are going to play them, it has to be in December. I just think its a bad matchup and one we should avoid.

- Quad 4 home games: The NIT will give us 2. The Mountain West only plays 2 or 3 per year and I think we need to look at what they do. Those games dont help you. Now I get it, if you play Kent State or Akron, you could lose and that hurts more than a Q4 home win. So its a delicate balance.

- Penn State/Duquesne? Should we play these teams instead of WVU? PSU is always going to have a respectable NET since they are in the B10 but will almost never beat us at home as The Pete will always be amped for that one and its a program where you could win on the road. We arent going to beat WVU in Morgantown very much. Duquesne could help our NET.

Generally, I think you need to minimize the Q4 games and play more MAC, CAA, A10, SoCon, CUSA teams or the better teams from the Ivy, MAAC, Patriot, or AE. No more NEC or HBCUs.

Last edited:
I’ll leave it to the NET experts for debate but from a fan perspective I’d like Duquesne, WVU, and another old Big East team every year. Rotate through UConn, Nova, Georgetown, St John’s, Seton Hall, and Providence.
I’m with you, Duquesne and WVU should be on the schedule every year, add in PSU or an old BE team.

I’ll leave it to the NET experts for debate but from a fan perspective I’d like Duquesne, WVU, and another old Big East team every year. Rotate through UConn, Nova, Georgetown, St John’s, Seton Hall, and Providence.

Need to look at what the MWC does. It works. Here's Nevada's. Only 3 Q4 games. 1 D2 game.

Don't schedule any home games lol

I do think we should minimize Q4 home games but not sure what the alternative would be. I think if you let me schedule it, I would do

Florida, Baylor, or TBD
Florida, Baylor, or TBD
NIT Q4
NIT Q4
Duquesne at The Pete
RMU at The Pete
SEC Home
At Penn State
Home vs Fordham (buy game)
Home vs Kent State (buy game)
Home vs Towson (buy game)

Reactions: Drew1208
I do think we should minimize Q4 home games but not sure what the alternative would be. I think if you let me schedule it, I would do

Florida, Baylor, or TBD
Florida, Baylor, or TBD
NIT Q4
NIT Q4
Duquesne at The Pete
RMU at The Pete
SEC Home
At Penn State
Home vs Fordham (buy game)
Home vs Kent State (buy game)
Home vs Towson (buy game)
Duquesne at their place would have been a quad 2 game this year. I’d do that. But it’s a moot point, JC would never even consider it.

SEC game replaces B1G game. And I think we have the hoopies one more year down at their place. So bunch of buy games left.

I would think they have a good shot at being paired with Miss State for a rematch in the SEC challenge. Or maybe Auburn or Vandy for a rubber match. No one cares about Pitt and Calipari except for probably 2-3 fans. Well more do, but not when money can be made with Kentucky vs. Duke or UNC.

So that gets us four Q1-2 attempts:
Florida/Baylor or TBD Q1-2
@WVU Q1-2
SEC Q1-2
I would do neutral site with Duquesne

I would think they have a good shot at being paired with Miss State for a rematch in the SEC challenge. Or maybe Auburn or Vandy for a rubber match. No one cares about Pitt and Calipari except for probably 2-3 fans. Well more do, but not when money can be made with Kentucky vs. Duke or UNC.

So that gets us four Q1-2 attempts:
@WVU Q1-2
SEC Q1-2
I would do neutral site with Duquesne

UNC and UK played in the regular season every year from 2000-14 except 2012. The game was moved from campus to NBA arenas from 2016-21 as part of the CBS Sports Classic. They did not play in 2019 or 2022. But clearly this is a game that does not need the ACC/SEC Challenge to occur.

So Duke/UK would make the most sense but are you going to do that every single year? Sometimes they play in that opening week event. With the SEC getting very good at basketball, a team like Bama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn, etc could be picked higher than Kentucky anyway. Duke-Auburn doesn't have the same cache but if they are Top 10, it might be a good idea to do that for 1 year so Calipari can go to Pitt in his last season at UK.

Duquesne at their place would have been a quad 2 game this year. I’d do that. But it’s a moot point, JC would never even consider it.

I think home and away with Duquesne makes sense. Maybe they play it at PPG Paints and make it even easier for Pitt fans to readily attend.

I was ok not playing this game when we were bad….it was kind of a lose/lose proposition. Still kind of is.

Just curious why is JC against playing the Dukes ?
No idea. But with NET being as significant as it is, I’d do it for sure.

Even on a neutral floor, Duquesne would have been a Quad 2 game for us.

To me it makes all the sense in the world.

Well that and the game has great tradition and with the dukes getting better can be a nice rivalry again. It’s what makes college sports so great

Reactions: Parkview57

How often is Duquesne going to be Q2? He doesn't want to risk a Q3 or Q4 loss in an early season rivalry game. Clemson's loss to South Carolina kept them out of the NCAAT.

How often is Duquesne going to be Q2? He doesn't want to risk a Q3 or Q4 loss in an early season rivalry game. Clemson's loss to South Carolina kept them out of the NCAAT.
As long as they have that coach, I think they will be. When they turn into a terrible program again, don’t schedule them. And we don’t lose very often to Duquesne. Nothing to be afraid of.

I wonder if our success this year opens us up to some of the Nike events.

IMO Capel needs to play the easiest OOC schedule he can while still retaining some respect. I think most commenters in this thread are going to be disappointed that most of those holes end up being cupcakes.

Pitt loses a lot next year, even though expectations are up. Pitt would've been ranked and much more respected this season if they hadn't lost some head scratchers early. What Pitt needed this year was wins over Vandy and VCU, not losses to PSU or Villanova.

Even with a COY award, Capel's seat still deserves to be warm, and falling back to 10th place next year is unacceptable. Pad the OOC win total, develop your young players, build the chemistry, and go out and try for an ACC double-bye next season.

IMO Capel needs to play the easiest OOC schedule he can while still retaining some respect. I think most commenters in this thread are going to be disappointed that most of those holes end up being cupcakes.

Pitt loses a lot next year, even though expectations are up. Pitt would've been ranked and much more respected this season if they hadn't lost some head scratchers early. What Pitt needed this year was wins over Vandy and VCU, not losses to PSU or Villanova.

Even with a COY award, Capel's seat still deserves to be warm, and falling back to 10th place next year is unacceptable. Pad the OOC win total, develop your young players, build the chemistry, and go out and try for an ACC double-bye next season.

We were 1 game away from missing the NCAAT. We need to devise a scheduling plan that allows us our best chance to make it. And I dont want to hear that we lose a lot. So does everyone. Have you seen the NCAAT? Starting lineups are all seniors and graduates. We return Hinson, Federiko, Dior, the twins, and maybe Jeffress is improved. That's more than a lot of ACC teams. We also are in a position to get some good transfers. The expectation is to make the NCAA Tournament next year. Anything less is a disappointment

I would think a tougher OOC would help chances of a double bye given practice against competition. You really don’t think those early games helped them win at NC State and Cuse early on?

We were 1 game away from missing the NCAAT. We need to devise a scheduling plan that allows us our best chance to make it. And I dont want to hear that we lose a lot. So does everyone. Have you seen the NCAAT? Starting lineups are all seniors and graduates. We return Hinson, Federiko, Dior, the twins, and maybe Jeffress is improved. That's more than a lot of ACC teams. We also are in a position to get some good transfers. The expectation is to make the NCAA Tournament next year. Anything less is a disappointment
What was the biggest knock against Pitt at the end of the season? We had bad losses. We had plenty of Q1 wins, and at one point we had way more than any other similar bubble team. Q1 opportunities were not an issue for us this year. Does it really make any difference at the end of the season if Pitt's Q1 record is 4-4 or 5-5 or 10-10?

Scheduling Villanova or someone and losing in early November doesn't advance our cause in any way. It's like we've completely forgotten the Dixon Era already. Nobody cares what you do in November. This was arguably the first season in ages when Pitt was actually playing their best basketball of the year in February or March. I think Capel could do that again. It is far more likely that we have bad early OOC losses than we might go out and beat Villanova. This team was very lucky to not get crushed by the weight of that 1-3 start. There is no reason to willingly repeat that.

I would think a tougher OOC would help chances of a double bye given practice against competition. You really don’t think those early games helped them win at NC State and Cuse early on?
Losing games teaches you how to lose games. IMO, Pitt learned to win games against UVA or UNC by beating NC State and Cuse, not by losing to WVU. Pitt beating NC State was a total shock, and you are rewriting history.

What was the biggest knock against Pitt at the end of the season? We had bad losses. We had plenty of Q1 wins, and at one point we had way more than any other similar bubble team. Q1 opportunities were not an issue for us this year. Does it really make any difference at the end of the season if Pitt's Q1 record is 4-4 or 5-5 or 10-10?

Scheduling Villanova or someone and losing in early November doesn't advance our cause in any way. It's like we've completely forgotten the Dixon Era already. Nobody cares what you do in November. This was arguably the first season in ages when Pitt was actually playing their best basketball of the year in February or March. I think Capel could do that again. It is far more likely that we have bad early OOC losses than we might go out and beat Villanova. This team was very lucky to not get crushed by the weight of that 1-3 start. There is no reason to willingly repeat that.

Our bad losses were vs 2 ACC teams. I fear that we wont get enough Q1 opportunities in the ACC. What if we played ND at home instead of Miami and lost to UVa. We would be 13-7 and in the NIT.

Our bad losses were vs 2 ACC teams. I fear that we wont get enough Q1 opportunities in the ACC. What if we played ND at home instead of Miami and lost to UVa. We would be 13-7 and in the NIT.
Yeah but if we got ND at home they aren’t celebrating Brey’s last home game and we win by 20.

Reactions: levance2
Or what if you replace the win over Northwestern with a loss at Indiana? How does that help us?

Losing games teaches you how to lose games. IMO, Pitt learned to win games against UVA or UNC by beating NC State and Cuse, not by losing to WVU. Pitt beating NC State was a total shock, and you are rewriting history.
They had beaten NW by 30 and came within a few of Vandy and VCU.

I couldn’t disagree more. This sounds a lot like Clemson’s scheduling, which put them in the NIT. Same with Rutgers. We scheduled well, and didn’t have any bad OOC losses. It was a huge advantage for us in Selection Sunday.

On the other hand, UNC was on the bubble because they played a great OOC schedule. Nobody’s saying that we should schedule as tough as they did. But the schedule next year should look a lot like this year’s, with maybe some of those games in the 300’s closer to the 200-250 range instead.

I couldn’t disagree more. This sounds a lot like Clemson’s scheduling, which put them in the NIT. Same with Rutgers. We scheduled well, and didn’t have any bad OOC losses. It was a huge advantage for us in Selection Sunday.

On the other hand, UNC was on the bubble because they played a great OOC schedule. Nobody’s saying that we should schedule as tough as they did. But the schedule next year should look a lot like this year’s, with maybe some of those games in the 300’s closer to the 200-250 range instead.

Your ACC schedule is 20 games plus some number of conference tournament games. That is double or maybe more than your total number of OOC games. Our ability to earn a bid is ALWAYS going to come down to the ACC record. Pitt would have to schedule like Gonzaga to have an OOC that could compensate for a bad ACC record.

Unless you are worried about your actual seed line, the quality of your OOC is not all that important. I am much more interested in Pitt getting a bid in 2024 than I am in what number their seed is.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Schedule tougher I say. I just hope we play our tougher OOC opponents in late December vs early November.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT