ADVERTISEMENT

Women vs WV

Nov 18, 2016
The team came out sluggish tonight. SMS waited unitl the team was down 12-0 in the first six minutes of the game before any adjustments were made. They rallied back in the 2nd quarter. They managed to close the gap some going into the half. SMS started the 3rd quarter with the same [deficit] line-up but made a quick adjustment when WV started scoring again, widening the points. Overall, the team fought, but could not capitalize from the first quarter deficit. The three top players were Diop 18pts, 7 rbs; Nelson 14pts, 3rbs; and Bradley with 9pts with 6 steals, 4 assists, and 3rbs. It was mentioned that Gribble is out with a concussion. Walter was in early foul trouble but ended the game with 4 points. Final score WV 73-Pitt 52

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I was kind of following along on the game tracker and it sure got ugly early.

There were some awfully bad stat lines from the Panthers tonight, even from the top scorers. Diop had 18, but that was only because she went 4-5 from the field in the 4th with the game long decided. Until then she was 4-12. Nelson scored 14, but she was only 5-13 from the field. Bradley scored 9, but she was only 1-7 from the field. And then you have some of the others. Garvin, 0-4 from the field, 0 points, 1 rebound, 0 assists, 4 turnovers, 4 fouls. Magette Sall played 18 minutes and did almost nothing, 0-2 from the field, 0 points, 0 rebounds. 1 foul, 2 blocks. As a team we were out rebounded 39-29. We had 17 turnovers and only 7 assists.

The Hoopies are the best team we've played so far (undefeated and ranked in the top 20) so I wasn't expecting much. Good thing, because Pitt didn't deliver much.

One interesting note from the game. Even with how good the Hoopies are, they do not play many people. Even with the big win tonight they only played seven players, and one of them only played 5 minutes. Another played only 11 minutes. Their starters played 40, 40, 36, 35 and 33 minutes. And that's on a night that they won by 21 points. I don't know how they will be able to keep that up.

There were some awfully bad stat lines from the Panthers tonight, even from the top scorers. Diop had 18, but that was only because she went 4-5 from the field in the 4th with the game long decided. Until then she was 4-12. Nelson scored 14, but she was only 5-13 from the field. Bradley scored 9, but she was only 1-7 from the field. And then you have some of the others. Garvin, 0-4 from the field, 0 points, 1 rebound, 0 assists, 4 turnovers, 4 fouls. Magette Sall played 18 minutes and did almost nothing, 0-2 from the field, 0 points, 0 rebounds. 1 foul, 2 blocks. As a team we were out rebounded 39-29. We had 17 turnovers and only 7 assists.

The Hoopies are the best team we've played so far (undefeated and ranked in the top 20) so I wasn't expecting much. Good thing, because Pitt didn't deliver much.

One interesting note from the game. Even with how good the Hoopies are, they do not play many people. Even with the big win tonight they only played seven players, and one of them only played 5 minutes. Another played only 11 minutes. Their starters played 40, 40, 36, 35 and 33 minutes. And that's on a night that they won by 21 points. I don't know how they will be able to keep that up.
Without sounding like a song on repeat. Until there is a strategic coaching staff in place to develop, strategize and make the other team uncomfortable this will more than likely be the result.

Reactions: jctrack

WV does not have much depth right now. By far their best player, Tynice Martin (All Big 12 First Team) is out with a foot injury. When she returns, that will help their depth a great deal although the young players have to start showing up to provide even more depth. Mike Carey has the program in a great place. His upcoming recruiting class is ranked 19th and that does not include a 5* transfer from Michigan that averaged nearly 15 a game as a freshman.

Reactions: jpoppa
I don't think playing 36 minutes is unreasonable in the four quarter format women's basketball is in now and with the amount of limited game time and practice hours per year. I bet we see average minutes per starter start to go back up.

I think Berenato beat the hoopies and there isn't any call for losing to them. Selling a city life in hoops is a better sale than morganhole. It doesn't take many players to make up a good team. I was willing to give SM some time but when your best scorer and local product leaves the team it calls for concern. I would have Shea Ralph on speed dial if I were Heather. Berenato was successful here due to her assistants Ralph and McCombs. After her assistants left Agnus didn't have the success and was let go after 2 losing seasons.

Last edited:
WV does not have much depth right now. By far their best player, Tynice Martin (All Big 12 First Team) is out with a foot injury. When she returns, that will help their depth a great deal although the young players have to start showing up to provide even more depth. Mike Carey has the program in a great place. His upcoming recruiting class is ranked 19th and that does not include a 5* transfer from Michigan that averaged nearly 15 a game as a freshman.
Sorry for not being competitive but we have to make a change on the men's and women's programs. This isn't called for or should be accepted.

Last edited:

And that's sad, shouldn't be like this. Calling Heather

there isn't any call for losing to them

They are ranked 10th in one poll this week and 11th in the other. If you can't see how even a good team could lose a game to a team like that I don't know what to say. Almost every team in the country would have been an underdog in that situation yesterday.

The disconcerting thing is that the game wasn't close, not that we didn't win.

I don't think playing 36 minutes is unreasonable in the four quarter format women's basketball is in now and with the amount of limited game time and practice hours per year. I bet we see average minutes per starter start to go back up.

There are actually less media timeouts now in the woman's game with the switch to four quarters than there are in the men's game. They are playing the same amount of game time in a little bit shorter time frame. In other words, if the women playing 36 minutes is no big deal then it would be even less of a big deal in the men's game. And there are very few players in the men's game that average more than 36 minutes per game.

They are ranked 10th in one poll this week and 11th in the other. If you can't see how even a good team could lose a game to a team like that I don't know what to say. Almost every team in the country would have been an underdog in that situation yesterday.

The disconcerting thing is that the game wasn't close, not that we didn't win.
Well that's what I'm getting at the game wasn't competitive

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT