ADVERTISEMENT

Working from Home - 1st Cocktail

May 21, 2010
How early is too early? I used to have a cocktail or beer when I was done with work and home....around 6-7.

Now working from home, I get the urge to want to have a drink earlier. advice please

Reactions: jtbuba
Just don't get on any phone calls, or zoom meetings.

I was on a zoom meeting two weeks ago at around this time, and one of the participants was already happy. A couple of words were slurred, and EVERYTHING was GREAT!!!!!!!

This was wonderful. That was terrific. You are great. She is outstanding.
On, and on, and on.

How early is too early? I used to have a cocktail or beer when I was done with work and home....around 6-7.

Now working from home, I get the urge to want to have a drink earlier. advice please

I’ve been working at home for about 3.5 years. Personally I remain disciplined. Lots of potential distractions. I know people who remained in the office because they don’t trust themselves. I’d advise you act as you do like you did in your previous physical location. I don’t even turn the TV on unless there’s some major type of news. Don’t wanna get started in to any kind of bad habits. One thing may lead to another.

Reactions: Parkview57

3:30pm is the break even line, on weekdays. still think it's noon on weekends unless there is a sporting event with your team in it, then all rules are suspended..

is it me or are open container laws kind of lax during this? I feel like it's cool to go to the store with an open beer in your car now. like when you are up at your cabin in a rural area, you have no problem bringing a few beers for the drive when you'd never do this in and around Pittsburgh. that's how i feel now. of course don't drive drunk but a beer or two for the road, while you are running an errand, i feel like it's ok.

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking 3-4 so this confirms my thought. Not sure about the lax open container thing....best to not

3:30pm is the break even line, on weekdays. still think it's noon on weekends unless there is a sporting event with your team in it, then all rules are suspended..

is it me or are open container laws kind of lax during this? I feel like it's cool to go to the store with an open beer in your car now. like when you are up at your cabin in a rural area, you have no problem bringing a few beers for the drive when you'd never do this in and around Pittsburgh. that's how i feel now. of course don't drive drunk but a beer or two for the road, while you are running an errand, i feel like it's ok.

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking 3-4 so this confirms my thought. Not sure about the lax open container thing....best to not
Do not drink and drive, I agree. But if u have an open beer, your sober and you got somewhere to go, well it’s not too big a deal now if you just bring it with you. That’s all.

I’ve been working at home for about 3.5 years. Personally I remain disciplined. Lots of potential distractions. I know people who remained in the office because they don’t trust themselves. I’d advise you act as you do like you did in your previous physical location. I don’t even turn the TV on unless there’s some major type of news. Don’t wanna get started in to any kind of bad habits. One thing may lead to another.

"Lighten Up, Francis"

Hey man, we're in the midst of a global pandemic. Pal of mine is a major hospital president and even he joked to me a couple weeks back "drink the top shelf now... if it's the end times, no sense saving anything!"

The OP was trying to lighten things up during hard times... and btw, I don't trust people who don't have any habits.

I'm bending it earlier and earlier it seems.. craziest for me, I've lost over 15 pounds...

Chains, more booze and you're losing substantial lbs? Make sure your health is good, dude. Everywhere else I hear people are eating comfort food every day and boozing up to relax... and getting fat!

"Lighten Up, Francis"

Hey man, we're in the midst of a global pandemic. Pal of mine is a major hospital president and even he joked to me a couple weeks back "drink the top shelf now... if it's the end times, no sense saving anything!"

The OP was trying to lighten things up during hard times... and btw, I don't trust people who don't have any habits.

Yea I’m usually pretty quick on the uptake but a bit after I responded I got the feeling it went right over my enormous head.

And I didn’t say I don’t have any habits.

I have been doing this for years........but it has always involved travel.

My rule of thumb is never before 5. And as the days get longer, probably 6. However on Friday's, especially a crappy Friday like today weather wise, nowhere to go......you also notice less activity on Friday's....so 3:00PM is acceptable.

Which thanks to PA's liquor situation, I made my trip to Wigle's to pick up some goodies this afternoon and I am all set.

Do not drink and drive, I agree. But if u have an open beer, your sober and you got somewhere to go, well it’s not too big a deal now if you just bring it with you. That’s all.

Don't know how old everyone is but as many know we used to drink and drive all the time. Driver went slow and and only had one or two, while the rest of the car drank at normal pace and volume, especially on Fridays on the trip home with the crew of guys you worked with all week. That drive was one of the great things to look forward to. To top it off we would call ahead to one of the Pizza joints near home and pick up a couple pizzas for the wife and kids, In those days Dad was the hero when he brought those pizzas in, at least until the kids turned 14.

Back in late 80's I worked in NYC , commuted in on Metro North from CT which had bar cars.
Not sure they were a good idea on the 1 hr plus to 2 hr train ride depending where in ct you lived.
To save money guys stopped at liquor stores, bars , delis and loaded up with wine, beer, and packaged cocktails for the ride home.
Those were the days.
Beer in a brown bag.

Generally agree here. I worked 7-3:30 but since I’ve been home it’s more 6:30-3. So I say 3-3:30 on weekends. I would say 11 on weekends since I’m central time and that’s when Pitt games would usually start.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
If I do not have any meetings scheduled, I don't mind getting a glass of wine any time after 11. But I won't sip wine or drink without food if I have a meeting. Yesterday, we got some nice take out...pizzas, pasta, bread so it seemed appropriate to have some red wine since we are working from home. It was a great break. I had a meeting later, but it was short and small and on a Friday at 2 so people kind of checked out already.

Boss called me yesterday literally right after I reached for the bottle of vodka around 4, mostly to tell me about our annual bonus/evals (thankfully good news for me).

Trying not to drink much during the week outside of Friday, though I’ve strayed from that a bit in quarantine.

At my last job we kept a beer fridge and a few of us, big boss included, would have a few usually around 5-6 on Fridays when we were busy, plus Saturdays sometimes too. Different culture there though.

Reactions: PITTF2
Boss called me yesterday literally right after I reached for the bottle of vodka around 4, mostly to tell me about our annual bonus/evals (thankfully good news for me).

Trying not to drink much during the week outside of Friday, though I’ve strayed from that a bit in quarantine.

At my last job we kept a beer fridge and a few of us, big boss included, would have a few usually around 5-6 on Fridays when we were busy, plus Saturdays sometimes too. Different culture there though.
Did you make sure to drive home after?

My new job, retirement, has made it tough to set borders. My wife and I walk 3 miles every day minimum, and when we get back, I always have a cold one. After lunch we read, and everyone knows that reading and having another cold one goes hand in hand.
Appetizers 5ish, with a glass of white.....another with dinner at 6:30.
Two fingers at 10:00, sleep well.
Next day rinse and repeat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT