ADVERTISEMENT

Would Dan Hurley have had similar success at Pitt?

No. He would’ve gotten us to the tournament much faster and built a more sustainable foundation. UConn in the Big East has a ceiling that only a handful of teams in the country can reach

Reactions: HailToPitt725
They've brought in like a dozen top 100 players since they hired him. 4th best class overall last year. Pitt hasn't recruited as well as Hurley had been able to with UConn since 1988.

He'd probably do well most places including Pitt because he's a good coach but UConn is at another level for recruiting connections, money, infrastructure.

Pitt was coming off 0-19. UConn had a down year at 7-11 in conference and 14-18 overall. UConn could sell 4 titles including one within last 5 years. Pitt could sell an elite 8 the same year UConn also went to final four. Stop comparing the two programs. Hurley would have had a taller task. Not impossible, but he did have an immediate edge to turn around UConn.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
All those boosters and donors for UConn don't really have football to distract their funds. So......schools like UConn, Xavier, Marquette, Creighton have a tremendous advantage than those mid range schools who also play P4 level football.

All those boosters and donors for UConn don't really have football to distract their funds. So......schools like UConn, Xavier, Marquette, Creighton have a tremendous advantage than those mid range schools who also play P4 level football.

This puts schools like Pitt at a disadvantage because we have to allocate funds to marginal football players like Gavin Bartholomew, Nate Yarnell, and Donovon McMillon instead of going all in on hoops for a year or 2. Not saying we need to have a basketball payroll of Kentucky but every now and then, you need to go all in. But paying marginal football players so we can go 6-6 prevents that. I'd rather us go 2-10 in football next year if that meant we can have a very competitive basketball salary pool.

This puts schools like Pitt at a disadvantage because we have to allocate funds to marginal football players like Gavin Bartholomew, Nate Yarnell, and Donovon McMillon instead of going all in on hoops for a year or 2. Not saying we need to have a basketball payroll of Kentucky but every now and then, you need to go all in. But paying marginal football players so we can go 6-6 prevents that. I'd rather us go 2-10 in football next year if that meant we can have a very competitive basketball salary pool.
Yep. Unfortunately we still have a decent portion of booster/donors who think we can be some kind of football power again. We can't. 2021 was a perfect confluence of events.

Sorry to say I told ya so but I was pushing Hurley on here as a possible "get him
before he becomes too famous" when he came in to the Pete with his Wagner team and
knocked off Dixon's ranked Pitt team. Of course his brother was the more famous
player because he played at Duke instead of Seton Hall. His father was a h.s.
coaching legend in Jersey City, N.J. When I say"coaching legend" I'm talking national
legend. Son Dan oviously is becoming a legend of his own in a short amount of tiem.

Last edited:
Yep. Unfortunately we still have a decent portion of booster/donors who think we can be some kind of football power again. We can't. 2021 was a perfect confluence of events.

I'm not even sure they believe that. They are paying for the hope for another magical ride to El Paso. That's about as good as its gonna get for Pitt football....so fund basketball and then whatever's left give to football and enjoy 6-6/7-5.

You could say the same thing about our football coach.
Narduzzi has had one of the better records among all ACC coaches since he came here despite the fact our revenue, spending, and attendance leans towards the lower half of the conference. I find him very frustrating but his record is quite good for Pitt post 1982.

Narduzzi has had one of the better records among all ACC coaches since he came here despite the fact our revenue, spending, and attendance leans towards the lower half of the conference. I find him very frustrating but his record is quite good for Pitt post 1982.
I get what you are saying but bottom line is his overall record averages out to 7-6 a season. That 3-9 last year belongs to him just as much as Cignetti and Jurkovec. I wish I could say he is a very good head coach but I can’t based on his record here in 9 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT