ADVERTISEMENT

Would you agree if the ACC offered this as a settlement?

What are you talking about? For BC, its ONLY about cable dollars. The only value they bring is getting in-market rates for ACCN. Nationally, they are a no-name. Even in Boston, they are an afterthought. And go 10 miles outside of Boston and no one ever heard of them.
You really don't get it.

Explain it then. Are viewers all over New England buying services from ACC sponsors and watching large amounts of ACC content because BC is in it?
On average, more people watched BC games last year than Baylor, Arizona State, Cal, Arizona, and Va Tech, to name a few. It's almost like being in a large metropolitan area is super beneficial.

On average, more people watched BC games last year than Baylor, Arizona State, Cal, Arizona, and Va Tech, to name a few. It's almost like being in a large metropolitan area is super beneficial.

Those numbers dont mean a lot. For 1, ACCN games literally arent rated by Nielsen so you they dont have lower-rated games to bring their average down. I'm sure they played FSU & Clem on ESPN or ESPN2 and that brings them up.

I cant believe this is even an argument. BC brings 0 value to the league. They'd be better off eliminating them or replacing them with UConn whose men's and women's bball programs bring value

If Pitt weren't in the ACC, the Pittsburgh market wouldn't likely have the ACCN.

I'm in the Pittsburgh market and I have the ACCN, the Big Ten Network, the SECN and even the PAC12 Network.

It's 2024. You can have any pretty much any channel you want.

I mean not if you are dumb enough to hitch yourself to the Comcast wagon, and only the Comcast wagon. But everyone else has no problem getting those other channels if they really want them. Heck, I don't even really care about the other three conference networks, and yet I still get them all.

I'm in the Pittsburgh market and I have the ACCN, the Big Ten Network, the SECN and even the PAC12 Network.

It's 2024. You can have any pretty much any channel you want.

I mean not if you are dumb enough to hitch yourself to the Comcast wagon, and only the Comcast wagon. But everyone else has no problem getting those other channels if they really want them. Heck, I don't even really care about the other three conference networks, and yet I still get them all.

While you are correct, to actually defend NCPitt, when ESPN did their new deal with Comcast a few years ago, they lumped all their channels together and assigned a value. Just for arguments sake, lets say it was:

ESPN: $6
ESPN2: $2
ESPNU: $1
Conference networks $1 in market, $.25 out of market

So the fact that BC is in the ACC probably gets the conference $1 per month per subscriber in Massachusetts (certainly not out of Massachusetts as no one in Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, or RI care about BC sports). So they do have a little more than the $0 value that I exaggerated. That said, they are a 0 nationally. No national appeal whatsoever and their team suck. So the league would almost certainly be better off kicking them out and eating the Massachusetts Comcast money or replacing them with a more valuable team.

Also, a disclaimer, ESPN could have charged Massachusetts Comcast customers whatever they wanted for their channels. Its all one package so the value they assign to each channel is like when Pitt used to print the ticket cost on each basketball ticket. It was meaningless. It would say like $20 for Pitt vs Monmouth and then $25 for Pitt vs Syracuse. Basically, ESPN charges what they can get. BC being in the ACC meant very little since it was 1 package.

Those numbers dont mean a lot.
You want to choose popular fanboy ideology over facts so it's not shocking that you would dismiss what's right in front of your face. You're blinded by the one or two night games a year that people show up to jump up and down at for VaTech and you think that makes them more valuable than the team that does better on TV, which is what is actually paying the bills.

You want to choose popular fanboy ideology over facts so it's not shocking that you would dismiss what's right in front of your face. You're blinded by the one or two night games a year that people show up to jump up and down at for VaTech and you think that makes them more valuable than the team that does better on TV, which is what is actually paying the bills.

I dont think you understand. BC's numbers are skewed because they played FSU and Clemson. Their other games were on ACCN which isnt rated. How do you not get this?

And yes, VT is more valuable than BC. I cant believe this is even a discussion.

I dont think you understand. BC's numbers are skewed because they played FSU and Clemson. Their other games were on ACCN which isnt rated. How do you not get this?

And yes, VT is more valuable than BC. I cant believe this is even a discussion.
VT played FSU, Virginia, and NC State, who we all know are hot programs that are desperately sought after by the B1G and SEC. Keep going.

One game...do you know how averages work?

So, I looked at BC's TV schedule and they actually didnt play Clemson. I forgot the divisions were eliminated. But I can easily explain why their TV numbers look good:

7 of the worst games on ACCN or CBSSN. Not rated so cant bring down the numbers.

- only 2 Saturday games on rated networks. Saturdays have a ton of competition so you get lower ratings. One of those games was against FSU on ABC so you get a bump.

- 1 Thursday night, 1 Friday night, 1 Black Friday game which get better ratings than Saturday due to lack of competition

I dont even what you are trying to say. Are you saying that BC is a really valuable member? Perhaps the Big Ten will be coming after them?

So, I looked at BC's TV schedule and they actually didnt play Clemson. I forgot the divisions were eliminated. But I can easily explain why their TV numbers look good:

7 of the worst games on ACCN or CBSSN. Not rated so cant bring down the numbers.

- only 2 Saturday games on rated networks. Saturdays have a ton of competition so you get lower ratings. One of those games was against FSU on ABC so you get a bump.

- 1 Thursday night, 1 Friday night, 1 Black Friday game which get better ratings than Saturday due to lack of competition

I dont even what you are trying to say. Are you saying that BC is a really valuable member? Perhaps the Big Ten will be coming after them?
Nope. Just saying they're not as worthless as you are blathering about.

You know, there is one fix to all the ails the ACC. And, I say this recognizing it won't happen. If the ACC could add ND and WVU (those two for different reasons), I believe the majority of their problems would be solved. ND would immediately bring the leverage to negotiate a much better TV deal (which would then appease FSU, Clemson, et. al.) and WVU would bring 2-3 appealing rivalry games, which is another thing that ACC is lacking. In addition, both of those schools add passion that is more football centric and the ACC badly needs more passionate football centric schools.

You know, there is one fix to all the ails the ACC. And, I say this recognizing it won't happen. If the ACC could add ND and WVU (those two for different reasons), I believe the majority of their problems would be solved. ND would immediately bring the leverage to negotiate a much better TV deal (which would then appease FSU, Clemson, et. al.) and WVU would bring 2-3 appealing rivalry games, which is another thing that ACC is lacking. In addition, both of those schools add passion that is more football centric and the ACC badly needs more passionate football centric schools.

This is a fantastic idea that nobody ever thought of. Quick, get Charlotte on the line and tell them to add Notre Dame.

This is a fantastic idea that nobody ever thought of. Quick, get Charlotte on the line and tell them to add Notre Dame.
Always at least one dick in the crowd...and usually SMF. Offering FSU & Clemson triple the pay and incorporating some ridiculous pay scheme that isn't equitable for all is the exact opposite of what being a member of a conference is supposed to be.

ND wants nothing to do with the ACC and will only join the B10 someday. I wasn't suggesting ND & WVU as some novel solution, just stating that those two would immediately solve the issue...and would be TONS better than your ridiculous un-equal revenue sharing idea.

Reactions: NCPitt
Always at least one dick in the crowd...and usually SMF. Offering FSU & Clemson triple the pay and incorporating some ridiculous pay scheme that isn't equitable for all is the exact opposite of what being a member of a conference is supposed to be.

ND wants nothing to do with the ACC and will only join the B10 someday. I wasn't suggesting ND & WVU as some novel solution, just stating that those two would immediately solve the issue...and would be TONS better than your ridiculous un-equal revenue sharing idea.

ND & WVU????

The ACC would add ND and CCAC as long as it meant getting ND. WVU doesn't do much for the ACC. Now would they be better off kicking out BC or Wake and adding WVU, sure.

ND & WVU????

The ACC would add ND and CCAC as long as it meant getting ND. WVU doesn't do much for the ACC. Now would they be better off kicking out BC or Wake and adding WVU, sure.
The ACC doesn't have a single rivalry game that is worth a damn. Of course ND and any / or no other program would help save the ACC from implosion. But adding WVU would also give the conference a few much needed rivalry games that fans can look forward too.

Sadly for the ACC, ND sees the ACC same as most others around the country. They'll continue to take advantage of the conference as long as the dipshits in charge allow them too. Then they will leave the conference and join the B10.

The ACC doesn't have a single rivalry game that is worth a damn. Of course ND and any / or no other program would help save the ACC from implosion. But adding WVU would also give the conference a few much needed rivalry games that fans can look forward too.

Sadly for the ACC, ND sees the ACC same as most others around the country. They'll continue to take advantage of the conference as long as the dipshits in charge allow them too. Then they will leave the conference and join the B10.
While it would undoubtedly be better for the conference if Notre Dame was a full football member, the ACC still comes out positive from the existing arrangement. It’s been mutually beneficial for both sides.

While it would undoubtedly be better for the conference if Notre Dame was a full football member, the ACC still comes out positive from the existing arrangement. It’s been mutually beneficial for both sides.
Not sure I see how. ND has done nothing to enhance the image of the ACC (in fact, most probably still think or consider them an independent....especially since they have drifted off the radar in basketball, They added no additional revenue, as evidence the per school payout for the ACC is essentially the same as the B12 and woefully below the P2. And, their semi-inclusion has done nothing to tamp down the desire of FSU and others to leave the conference.

ND has done to the ACC exactly what they did to the Big East a little over a decade ago. They used the conference for their and only their benefit. And, eventually, they will ditch the ACC if ever pressed to REALLY join a conference and it will be for the B10.

Not sure I see how. ND has done nothing to enhance the image of the ACC (in fact, most probably still think or consider them an independent....especially since they have drifted off the radar in basketball, They added no additional revenue, as evidence the per school payout for the ACC is essentially the same as the B12 and woefully below the P2. And, their semi-inclusion has done nothing to tamp down the desire of FSU and others to leave the conference.

ND has done to the ACC exactly what they did to the Big East a little over a decade ago. They used the conference for their and only their benefit. And, eventually, they will ditch the ACC if ever pressed to REALLY join a conference and it will be for the B10.
They present a national pull that I’m confident was helpful in the ramp up of the ACC Network. ESPN needed to convince the various cable providers to agree to buy and pay for the ACC Network, and having one of the few national schools in the conference for the types of games that the ACC Network broadcasts (meaning, the channel devotes most of its bandwidth to non-football sports) almost certainly was a positive factor in the ACCN ramp up.

Also, while Notre Dame has their own television deal for home games, Notre Dame also plays 2-3 games per year at ACC venues, under the ACC’s television contract. Nearly every single one of those games from the beginning have been on ABC, indicating that they’re highly valued by ESPN. Having that inventory adds value to the ACC/ESPN deal, especially combined with the long-term security of the scheduling arrangement and the media contract.

Reactions: TerryD44

ND wants nothing to do with the Big Ten, either, if that means surrendering football independence,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT