ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, ACC women's soccer got all four #1 seeds.

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
I wonder if that has ever happened in any NCAA championship before?

The ACC got 8 bids total: #1s FSU, UVA, Virginia Tech, and UNC along with Wake, Duke, BC, and Notre Dame. Louisville also got in. The Big Ten also got 8 bids.

That's really impressive. Just another example of what we are up against in a league whose many schools reside south of the MDL.

The Pitt womens team seems to have had an uptick in recruiting, but man are they "up against it".
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I said earlier this year.....

that we could be the 25th best team in the country and we wouldn't even finish in the top half of the league. Relative to the competition ACC womens soccer may be the best college sports league in the country.

Re: I said earlier this year.....

Originally posted by Joe the Panther Fan:
Relative to the competition ACC womens soccer may be the best college sports league in the country.

Since once conference has never gotten four #1 seeds in the history of NCAA post-season tournaments, I'd say that is probably true. We'll have to see how that actually plays out on the pitch though.

Update.....

through the first two rounds the eight ACC schools in the tournament are 16-0 and have won those 16 games by a combined score of 41-4. Florida State played their round of 16 game today (the rest of those games are tomorrow) and they won 4-0.

There will, however, be at least one non-ACC team in the quarterfinals, because Virginia plays Wake Forest tomorrow. But it is still possible for seven of the eight quarterfinalists to be from the ACC.

Further update.....

Six ACC teams make the quarterfinals. In addition to Florida State's win over Colorado, North Carolina beat Texas A&M, BC beat Illinois, Virginia Tech beat Santa Clara in a shootout and Duke beat Arkansas in a shootout. Virginia won the all ACC battle with Wake Forest. Notre Dame lost to Michigan 1-0. So ACC teams are now 21-1 in the tournament against non-ACC competition and have outscored their opponents in those games 54-9. UCLA joins Michigan as the only non-ACC teams in the quarterfinals.

Re: Further update.....

Just crazy. One conference has never dominated a tournament like this in any sport.

Elite 8

BC
Duke
Florida State
North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Michigan
UCLA

This post was edited on 11/24 11:14 PM by CrazyPaco

UCLA ruins it....

they upset North Carolina to keep the Final Four from being an all ACC affair. They join Virginia, Virginia Tech and Florida State next weekend to play for the championship.

Fsu vs ucla for title ucla beat Virginia on penalty kicks just seems like ucla has all the momentum with two upset wins hope Fsu pulls it out though
Posted from Rivals Mobile

0-0 Tie today in regulation.
UCLA beat FSU in the first overtime.
First time for both schools in the championship match. I thought that the flurry of activity in front of the UCLA goal near the end of regulation would do it for FSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT