ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL Championships this week at The Pete

Ah, but you realize woke is the new four-letter word.
It’s the only thing he knows how to post

I need to get my car inspected today since it expired Jan 2022- thanks woke culture

went to physical therapy for knee pain because even my body is woke now

And the modern woke/PC attitude is to not keep score with younger kids and give everyone trophies, I remember my daughter's 1st soccer team, they where all 6 year olds, and it was rec and they gave everyone a trophy and thought that the kids don't care anyways, her team finished 5-0-1 and one kid on her team says, "But we won every game, we should get a bigger trophy", another replied, "No, we tied one" :) No, they don't notice :)
It’s so funny that boomed blame participation trophies on younger generations…yet do you think 10 year olds in the 90’s came up with the idea or their boomer parents?

Here's a great example:

2A Final:

OLSH vs Fort Cherry

Fort Cherry is not known as a good sports school, certainly not basketball in rural Washington County. I don't remember them ever being good at anything other than a few years in football in the 90s when they had the all-time WPIAL rusher. So, I guess they have a generational basketball team this year. My guess is its a bunch of kids from the same small town who grew up dreaming for this moment. Now they're there. And who is their opponent? Well, its an all-star team from Allegheny County who can pull kids from anywhere they please. How in the world is this fair?

Schools which arent bound by geography should play 3A, at a minimum. The neighborhood schools like Fort Cherry deserve an equal shot.
But I will give you another example. Tiny St Joseph in Natrona Heights PA. They are 1A, graduate no more than 45 kids a class. They have been capped at that number since my mom graduated there like 100 years ago.

Why should they play up? The majority of kids who go there are Catholics who otherwise would be in the Highlands, Freeport, Burrell or Valley school districts. And here is the thing, Catholic kids in those districts also attend Central Catholic, and if you are really a good athlete like say John Petrishen, you go to Central. So they should have to play up 2 levels? They would get crushed.

I remember when I was in HS, St Joes had a kid averaging 20ppg for them. He lived in my neighborhood, he was like the 4th pick amongst neighborhood kids.

Reactions: PeetWeet2
But I will give you another example. Tiny St Joseph in Natrona Heights PA. They are 1A, graduate no more than 45 kids a class. They have been capped at that number since my mom graduated there like 100 years ago.

Why should they play up? The majority of kids who go there are Catholics who otherwise would be in the Highlands, Freeport, Burrell or Valley school districts. And here is the thing, Catholic kids in those districts also attend Central Catholic, and if you are really a good athlete like say John Petrishen, you go to Central. So they should have to play up 2 levels? They would get crushed.

I remember when I was in HS, St Joes had a kid averaging 20ppg for them. He lived in my neighborhood, he was like the 4th pick amongst neighborhood kids.

I hear you and I don't have a good answer other than it is what it is.

If it were me, I'd have 2 classes for privates and charters and 4 classes for publics but if they're going to insist on grouping them together, I'd still put your St. Joseph in 3A but when making the sections, I'd make 1 section comprised of the private schools which are not superpowers so a few of them get bids to the 3A tournament. They'll get blown out in it but that's life. They werent winning 1A or 2A anyway

It’s so funny that boomed blame participation trophies on younger generations…yet do you think 10 year olds in the 90’s came up with the idea or their boomer parents?
That's assuming that all people within an age group think the same way. You're right on this one, but like today, so many things are just forced on the average person that they don't agree with, that's why we have these "culture wars".

And yet -
You’re a cog in a machine working for the government and shit pointing anonymously on the internet
I consider what I've done WINNING, never work over 40 hours per week, almost $200K salary, 6 weeks paid vacation every year, don't see how that isn't winning when compared to the average schmuck?

I consider what I've done WINNING, never work over 40 hours per week, almost $200K salary, 6 weeks paid vacation every year, don't see how that isn't winning when compared to the average schmuck?

Bet you don't own a waterbed (no financing) and have a DVD collection of over 200 titles

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Bet you don't own a waterbed (no financing) and have a DVD collection of over 200 titles
I never liked how it felt laying on a waterbed. Is that still a thing? I do have a CD collection with over 200 titles, but I accumulated that mostly from those deals where you get 13 CDs for 1 cent when you buy 3 or 4 later, or from Walmart's $5 bargain bin, when you're old your favorite music is on clearance :)

I never liked how it felt laying on a waterbed. Is that still a thing? I do have a CD collection with over 200 titles, but I accumulated that mostly from those deals where you get 13 CDs for 1 cent when you buy 3 or 4 later, or from Walmart's $5 bargain bin, when you're old your favorite music is on clearance :)

lol, if you spend enough time on twitter you would have got my joke.

FWIW, the Trib website is streaming all the championship games.
Yea, I looked on my Roku to see if there's a Trib Live app so I can watch on my TV but there's little chance I will watch these on my phone. I may watch a little of LH/NC but mainly to see what a full Pete (well at least lower level) looks like in that place.

Yea, I looked on my Roku to see if there's a Trib Live app so I can watch on my TV but there's little chance I will watch these on my phone. I may watch a little of LH/NC but mainly to see what a full Pete (well at least lower level) looks like in that place.
You, YOU don't have AIRPLAY on your TV? Even I stream stuff from my phone to my 58" TV

You, YOU don't have AIRPLAY on your TV? Even I stream stuff from my phone to my 58" TV
I do but I cant sit there and watch a HS basketball game. I have to be on my phone with it on in the background. Might do it for some of LH/NC

Why not? If you're interested in the game, why not sit there and watch it?

Lol so SMF says in one post that he went and looked if there was a TV app to watch the games and then you give him a solution to get the games on his TV and he says he’s not that interested???

This guy really is something.

Lol so SMF says in one post that he went and looked if there was a TV app to watch the games and then you give him a solution to get the games on his TV and he says he’s not that interested???

This guy really is something.
I don't get it? Either you want to watch or you don't?

the WPIAL championships at the Civic Arena bring back great memories. I loved watching the games on, I think it was channel 13 back then, with, I think, Chlly Billy Cardill as announcer ?

watching those games , and also watching the state champiionships in Hershey, was inspiring. Had the good fortune to be part of the Fox Chapel team that won the WPIAL and State in 1977. We blew out a good Norwin team in the Semi Finals, that team was led by 6'9" Doug Arnold who then played for Duquesne and Ben Bailey (who became a friend over the years). we beat Beaver Falls in a close game in the finals. Fox Chapel will be in the finals with a chance to win the first WPIAL since our win in 1977. We also won the State in Hersey, no Fox Chapel team other than ours has won a state mens basketball tourney. They have a chance this year, but North Hills is going to be really hard to beat.

Alas, my adapted mother will not be in the finals as they were beaten by Laurel Highlands last night. But they really don't have any Seniors so Highlands (not the Laurel) kind should be one of the top 5A teams next year again. One thing I give them credit for, they play anyone anywhere.
Do they have any backups in search of playing time? If so, they should consider going across the street, for religious or academic reasons.

We blew out a good Norwin team in the Semi Finals, that team was led by 6'9" Doug Arnold who then played for Duquesne and Ben Bailey (who became a friend over the years).

That's not right. That game went into overtime. Or was it double overtime?

That's not right. That game went into overtime. Or was it double overtime?
Hey Joe, I think I recall you went to Norwin. We played Norwin twice. in the semi's of the WPIAL, we shockinglhy won by 20. We played Norwin again in the State semi finals, one of the best games in WPIAL history according to some people. we won the second game in double overtime, with Norwin missing a half court shot at the buzzer. the most stressful game of my life !

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Wait, do you mean the WPIAL semi-final or the state semi-final? It was the state semi-final that went to overtime. IIRC, Bailey got hurt late in regulation.
It was the semi's in the state what went to double OT. I remember Ben pulling a calf muscle, I think.

I hear you and I don't have a good answer other than it is what it is.

If it were me, I'd have 2 classes for privates and charters and 4 classes for publics but if they're going to insist on grouping them together, I'd still put your St. Joseph in 3A but when making the sections, I'd make 1 section comprised of the private schools which are not superpowers so a few of them get bids to the 3A tournament. They'll get blown out in it but that's life. They werent winning 1A or 2A anyway
Why? St Joe’s and Aquinas aren’t all-star teams. They don’t even play football. They don’t recruit for sports. I suspect several 7th/8th elementary school girls bball teams from tiny schools would beat either one of them. If you want pro/rel for all - go for it. Otherwise, please leave them alone.

Why? St Joe’s and Aquinas aren’t all-star teams. They don’t even play football. They don’t recruit for sports. I suspect several 7th/8th elementary school girls bball teams from tiny schools would beat either one of them. If you want pro/rel for all - go for it. Otherwise, please leave them alone
They can pull from anywhere and aren't bound by geography. Put them in 3A. I won't shed any tears for them.

Reactions: JRPITT
LH vs NC in 2OT right now.
I watched the end of the 1st half and the 2nd OT. Seemed like an epic game. The lower level non-zoo sections seemed 95% full. Biggest crowd of the year at The Pete besides Duke, which is so sad.

I've been wondering about the DeShields kid from LH. I saw what I needed to see. The kid is DEFINITELY D1. What level of D1, I'm not sure. But at 6'3 with athleticism, he reminds me a little of DJ Kennedy. Kennedy had a cup of coffee in the NBA so I'm not saying he'll be that good but I think he can be an upper mid-major or A10 level player. Maybe better if he has a good AAU season.

It was the semi's in the state what went to double OT. I remember Ben pulling a calf muscle, I think.

Yeah, why I read your post originally for some reason I though the semifinal game you were referring to was the state semifinal, and then I reread it and thought that I was probably getting it wrong.

I was at both of those games. That state semifinal game was a real heartbreaker as a 7th grade Norwin fan.

ADVERTISEMENT