ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL Playoffs

Burgh15

All Conference
Jan 10, 2015
Anyone following the WPIAL playoffs?

1A
Maybe the deepest conference in terms of teams that can win it all. Rochester went on a run from I think the 15 seed last year. I like Fort Cherry to win 1A.

1 South Side
16 Monessen

8 Greensburg CC
9 West Greene

4 Clairton
13 Laurel

5 Union
12 Burgettstown

2 Fort Cherry
15 Jefferson Morgan

7 Cornell
10 Rochester

3 Bishop Canevin
14 Leechburg

6 California
11 Jeannette

2A
This classification has a few interesting teams, including Keystone Oaks with Syracuse recruit Clinton Robinson. I could see Washington losing relative early and have Steel Valley winning.

1 Steel Valley
BYE

8 Serra Catholic
9 Western Beaver

4 Imani Christian
13 Waynesburg Central

5 Mohawk
12 Burrell

2 Neshannock
BYE

7 Keystone Oaks
10 Beaver Falls

3 Washington
14 Ellwood City

6 McGuffey
11 Derry

3A
Belle Vernon has the best player in 3A, but I didn't think they were as strong as last year. I think Avonworth edges Elizabeth Forward in the semis with Belle Vernon winning it all again. The Deer Lakes-Soutmoreland game should be a good one as both are going for the first playoff win.
1 Belle Vernon
BYE

8 Deer Lakes
9 Southmoreland

4 East Allegheny
BYE

5 Knoch
12 South Park

2 Avonworth
BYE

7 Beaver
10 Shady Side Academy

3 Elizabeth Forward
BYE

6 West Mifflin
11 Mt. Pleasant

4A
The Parkway Conference was terrific this year with Aliquippa, Montour, Central Valley, and West Allegheny. Based on some dumb rules, 3-7 Chartiers Valley also made it. I'd argue West Allegheny should've been the 7 seed over North Catholic and we could've seen an all Parkway semis. Montour is a sleeper as they have maybe the best QB. Until proven otherwise, Aliquippa is the team to beat.
1 Aliquippa
BYE

8 West Allegheny
9 Greater Latrobe

4 Mars
13 Chartiers Valley

5 Central Valley
12 Highlands

2 McKeesport
BYE

7 North Catholic
10 Trinity

3 Montour
BYE

6 Thomas Jefferson
11 Kiski Area

5A
I still cannot believe an 8-2 USC is not in the playoffs while a 4-6 Bethel Park team is. I get the tiebreaking rules, but come on. Gateway is a weak No. 4 seed, but this bracket is setup for a Peters Township vs. Pine-Richland finals. Peters dominated everyone, but Pine-Richland is the defending champs and on a roll. I think the Rams do it again.
1 Peters Township
8 Franklin Regional

4 Gateway
5 Moon

2 Penn Hills
7 Penn Trafford

3 Pine-Richland
6 Bethel Park

6A
Yawn. Central Catholic over NA.
1 Central Catholic
4 Mt. Lebanon

2 North Allegheny
3 Canon-McMillan

Reactions: singregardless
Explain to me BP over USC. What stinks about 5A is they only have 1 less team than 3A, but that 1 team difference meant they can only have an 8 team playoff because their champ has to play a PIAA Quarterfinal whereas the WPIAL 3A Championship serves as the PIAA Quarterfinal.

Explain to me BP over USC. What stinks about 5A is they only have 1 less team than 3A, but that 1 team difference meant they can only have an 8 team playoff because their champ has to play a PIAA Quarterfinal whereas the WPIAL 3A Championship serves as the PIAA Quarterfinal.
In short it was a 3-way tie for second in this conference. Moon earned 2nd place due to tiebreaker points. Third place reverted to head-to-head, which Bethel Park beat USC.

By any other tiebreaking/playoff metric, USC makes the playoffs.

It does stink the PIAA puts the 5A WPIAL champ in the quarter finals. It’s usually the deepest and best conference.

I watched Julian Dugger for the first time. I was impressed, he stands out. He didn’t throw much, but you could see the potential arm talent and he was making plays with his legs. I really hope Pitt can develop him.

Reactions: singregardless
Anyone following the WPIAL playoffs?

1A
Maybe the deepest conference in terms of teams that can win it all. Rochester went on a run from I think the 15 seed last year. I like Fort Cherry to win 1A.

1 South Side
16 Monessen

8 Greensburg CC
9 West Greene

4 Clairton
13 Laurel

5 Union
12 Burgettstown

2 Fort Cherry
15 Jefferson Morgan

7 Cornell
10 Rochester

3 Bishop Canevin
14 Leechburg

6 California
11 Jeannette

2A
This classification has a few interesting teams, including Keystone Oaks with Syracuse recruit Clinton Robinson. I could see Washington losing relative early and have Steel Valley winning.

1 Steel Valley
BYE

8 Serra Catholic
9 Western Beaver

4 Imani Christian
13 Waynesburg Central

5 Mohawk
12 Burrell

2 Neshannock
BYE

7 Keystone Oaks
10 Beaver Falls

3 Washington
14 Ellwood City

6 McGuffey
11 Derry

3A
Belle Vernon has the best player in 3A, but I didn't think they were as strong as last year. I think Avonworth edges Elizabeth Forward in the semis with Belle Vernon winning it all again. The Deer Lakes-Soutmoreland game should be a good one as both are going for the first playoff win.
1 Belle Vernon
BYE

8 Deer Lakes
9 Southmoreland

4 East Allegheny
BYE

5 Knoch
12 South Park

2 Avonworth
BYE

7 Beaver
10 Shady Side Academy

3 Elizabeth Forward
BYE

6 West Mifflin
11 Mt. Pleasant

4A
The Parkway Conference was terrific this year with Aliquippa, Montour, Central Valley, and West Allegheny. Based on some dumb rules, 3-7 Chartiers Valley also made it. I'd argue West Allegheny should've been the 7 seed over North Catholic and we could've seen an all Parkway semis. Montour is a sleeper as they have maybe the best QB. Until proven otherwise, Aliquippa is the team to beat.
1 Aliquippa
BYE

8 West Allegheny
9 Greater Latrobe

4 Mars
13 Chartiers Valley

5 Central Valley
12 Highlands

2 McKeesport
BYE

7 North Catholic
10 Trinity

3 Montour
BYE

6 Thomas Jefferson
11 Kiski Area

5A
I still cannot believe an 8-2 USC is not in the playoffs while a 4-6 Bethel Park team is. I get the tiebreaking rules, but come on. Gateway is a weak No. 4 seed, but this bracket is setup for a Peters Township vs. Pine-Richland finals. Peters dominated everyone, but Pine-Richland is the defending champs and on a roll. I think the Rams do it again.
1 Peters Township
8 Franklin Regional

4 Gateway
5 Moon

2 Penn Hills
7 Penn Trafford

3 Pine-Richland
6 Bethel Park

6A
Yawn. Central Catholic over NA.
1 Central Catholic
4 Mt. Lebanon

2 North Allegheny
3 Canon-McMillan
1A - That is pretty open. There are quite a few teams who could win it.

2A - I’ll go Steel Valley

3A - Belle Vernon vs Avonworth in the Final

4A - This is going to be a war. 4A is tough. I’ll go with Quips.

5A - Peters vs PH (A lot of good teams)

6A - NA vs CC (Going to be a lot closer than first game imo)

In short it was a 3-way tie for second in this conference. Moon earned 2nd place due to tiebreaker points. Third place reverted to head-to-head, which Bethel Park beat USC.

By any other tiebreaking/playoff metric, USC makes the playoffs.

It does stink the PIAA puts the 5A WPIAL champ in the quarter finals. It’s usually the deepest and best conference.

I watched Julian Dugger for the first time. I was impressed, he stands out. He didn’t throw much, but you could see the potential arm talent and he was making plays with his legs. I really hope Pitt can develop him.
Dugger's not a QB at this level, in my amateurish opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the other side of the ball.

It's hard to feel sorry for any team that doesn't make the playoffs when it is so obvious that way, way too many teams make the playoffs as it is.

There were four 5A game on Friday. One game was 35-31. The other three games were decided by 35, 35 and 45 points.

There were five 4A games. The "closest" game of the bunch was 28-7. The margins of victory were 49, 32, 44, 21 and 25.

There were four 3A games. Margins of victory, 30, 17, 35 and 26.

There were six 2A games. The closest game was 12 points, 25-13. The other margins of victory were 17, 38, 42, 42 and 13.

There were eight 1A games. The Rochester - Cornell game ended 20-19 in overtime. The other margins of victory were 19, 39, 43, 37, 36, 38 and 14.

So in total, 27 games. The total number of one score games was two. The total number of two score games, meaning 16 points or less, was four. The average margin of victory was 29.2 points. And that doesn't even take into account that a few of the best teams that would have likely rolled up even bigger margins of victory didn't play because they got a first round bye.

What the WPIAL needs, pretty obviously, is a lot fewer teams in the playoffs, not any more.

Reactions: Farnox
It's hard to feel sorry for any team that doesn't make the playoffs when it is so obvious that way, way too many teams make the playoffs as it is.
I want to see an 8-2 team in the playoffs over a 4-6 team.

Did anyone see the end of the Gateway game? Birch ran in a touchdown with under a minute left but it was called back on what looked like a questionable holding call. He was picked off on the next play.

There are some potentially fun games this week.

1A
Fort Cherry may be the team to beat, but Rochester is always a threat.

2A
Neshannock seems like it should be an easy favorite over Beaver Falls. Beaver Falls made the finals last year and will be looking for a second straight upset.

3A
South Park played a tough schedule and will looked to keep the momentum going against East Allegheny. EA has played 3 straight one-score games.

Elizabeth Forward is going up against a hot West Mifflin team. However, EF did beat WM earlier this year 24-7.

4A
Latrobe spanked West A and Aliquippa will be a clear favorite, however, I'm interested to see how Latrobe holds up against such a great team.

Mars vs. Central Valley should be a good one.

Montour vs. TJ - TJ has the playoff history and Montour has one of the best players in the WPIAL with QB Jake Wolfe.

5A
Penn Hills vs. Pine-Richland. PR looks very good and has proven it can beat an elite team with a win over Central Catholic. Penn Hills had a slow finish to the season yet looked dominant against Penn Trafford in the first round.

It doesn't have to be either/or. The 4-6 team shouldn't even be in contention. If a team goes 8-2 by finishing 3rd in their conference, they shouldn't make it either.

This seems pretty easy to me but the WPIAL is run by gym teachers. Why 3 conferences and a wild-card? Should be:

South Hills/North Hills Conference
Peters
BP
Moon
Baldwin
USC
SF
NH
Shaler
PR

East Conference
PH
WH
Gateway
FR
FC
Hempfield
Plum
Penn-Trafford
Norwin

Those are nearly perfect geographical alignments other than there being only 2 North Hills schools (NH, PR) having to go south. Shaler/FC can be considered North Hills and would be split in 2 conferences but they barely have teams.

Play 8 league games and 1 game vs a 6A. Top 4 teams in each conference make playoffs. No seeds. 1A plays 4B. Winner plays the winner of 2B vs 3A. Etc.

CC plays PH, WH, Peters
Lebo plays USC, BP, SF
NA plays PR, NH, Gateway
CM plays Moon, Hempfield, Baldwin
SV plays FC, Shaler, Penn-Trafford

Norwin, FR, Plum dont play a 6A but can play a 4A school.

This seems pretty easy to me but the WPIAL is run by gym teachers. Why 3 conferences and a wild-card?

Because if there are three conferences then there can be three section champions, and there can be more teams with a chance to be a section champion longer into the season.

Because if there are three conferences then there can be three section champions, and there can be more teams with a chance to be a section champion longer into the season.

Is this an "everybody gets a trophy thing" because that sounds ridiculous to me. Winning a 6 team conference is not a big accomplishment.

Those are nearly perfect geographical alignments other than there being only 2 North Hills schools (NH, PR) having to go south. Shaler/FC can be considered North Hills and would be split in 2 conferences but they barely have teams.
WPIAL teams (correctly) didn't want long travel and eliminating rival games in larger conferences. However, it would've worked out well in 5A with geographic alignment. They simply won't do something different in one classification as well as it would work out.

Is this an "everybody gets a trophy thing" because that sounds ridiculous to me. Winning a 6 team conference is not a big accomplishment.

No one will ever know or care that the conference only had six teams in it.

"You were the coach of the 2023 5A Big East conference champions? Wow, that's great. By the way, how many teams were in your conference that season?"

Said pretty much no one, ever, anywhere.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
No one will ever know or care that the conference only had six teams in it.

"You were the coach of the 2023 5A Big East conference champions? Wow, that's great. By the way, how many teams were in your conference that season?"

Said pretty much no one, ever, anywhere.

That's fine but I dont care. I wonder if coaches would have preferred 4 out of 9 getting in instead of 2 out of 6 with 3rd place wildcard. I think the WPIAL has to look at each class differently. 5A was going to be a challenge because its pound for pound the best class but just missed out on having its champ advance to the state semis. So you have the issue of a deep class with only 3 rounds of playoffs.

6a is getting two more football teams next year. Hempfield and someone else. forget who though, think it's a westmoreland school.

Really think wpial could reconfigure the 4a and 5a classifications and get rid of 6A. that limited number of programs in 6am makes the playoffs a tad silly, only 2 rounds..

6a is getting two more football teams next year. Hempfield and someone else. forget who though, think it's a westmoreland school.

Really think wpial could reconfigure the 4a and 5a classifications and get rid of 6A. that limited number of programs in 6am makes the playoffs a tad silly, only 2 rounds..

Hempfield and Norwin will give 6A 7 teams. Butler is considered rejoining. BTW, I didn't realize Butler had a great soccer program. That is really weird team since lower middle class to poor communities typically dont have kids who gravitate towards soccer. I am assuming the best athletes in Butler play soccer instead of football.

Hempfield and Norwin will give 6A 7 teams. Butler is considered rejoining. BTW, I didn't realize Butler had a great soccer program. That is really weird team since lower middle class to poor communities typically dont have kids who gravitate towards soccer. I am assuming the best athletes in Butler play soccer instead of football.
Butler has been good in basketball as well, but I’m sure you knew that already since you are the all knowing SMF.

Dugger's not a QB at this level, in my amateurish opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the other side of the ball.

I don't think anyone knows if he'll be a QB at this level, however I'm pretty confident he won't end up on the other side of the ball.

He's gonna need time to develop, and he needs to be in an offense that is going to use his legs.

I don't think 5A teams will voluntarily elected to play against Central and NA.

I don't think anyone knows if he'll be a QB at this level, however I'm pretty confident he won't end up on the other side of the ball.

He's gonna need time to develop, and he needs to be in an offense that is going to use his legs.
I would like to see Pitt with a mobile QB. There's too much value in being able to move around in the pocket to extend plays or scramble for first downs.

Last night was a pretty good slate of games and a lot of them delivered.

6A
Central Catholic 42 Mt. Lebanon 7
North Allegheny 49 Canon-McMillan 7

No surprises here. It's the rematch everyone was expecting and NA will hope to keep it closer in round 2.

5A
Peters Township 41 Moon 18
Pine-Richland 16 Penn Hills 9

I heard Moon had a 20+ play drive that resulted in 3 points. It sounds like something the Steelers would do. A heartbreaker for Penn Hills, leading the entire game only to give it up with 2 seconds left. Props to the freshman QB for PR to lead the game-winning drive.

4A
McKeesport 28 Trinity 14
Mars 24 Central Valley 14
Montour 51 Thomas Jefferson 21
Aliquippa 37 Latrobe 29

Latrobe came to play. They nearly erased an 18-point first quarter deficit and had the ball down 31-29 late. Great effort on their end. Trinity made a mind boggling call to go for a ridiculously long FG that wasn't even close and returned for a TD. Game changer. TJ seemed to struggle against better teams this year and Montour delivered. Central Valley was in business after a big pass down 17-14, but an illegal man downfield called it back and Mars did a great job closing out the game. Kasperowicz has his team in the semis in year 2..

3A
East Allegheny 28 South Park 21
Belle Vernon 49 Deer Lakes 6
Avonworth 41 Beaver 21
Elizabeth Forward 42 West Mifflin 21

South Park kept it pretty close, just not enough. Blowouts the rest of the way.

2A
Washington 18 McGuffey 7
Beaver Falls 14 Neshannock 13
Mohawk 17 Imani Christian 12
Steel Valley 21 Western Beaver 18

A competitive conference. Beaver Falls pulls the big upset, but a team that has been in the finals recently, there was potential there for a run. They won on a blocked punt return for a TD and two-point conversion.

1A
Bishop Canevin 34 California 8
South Side Beaver 48 Greensburg Central Catholic 21
Forth Cherry 42 Rochester 0
Clairton 18 Union 6

Another classification with blowouts, but things should get interesting in the semis. It feels like it could be a tossup at this point.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Last night was a pretty good slate of games and a lot of them delivered.

6A
Central Catholic 42 Mt. Lebanon 7
North Allegheny 49 Canon-McMillan 7

No surprises here. It's the rematch everyone was expecting and NA will hope to keep it closer in round 2.

5A
Peters Township 41 Moon 18
Pine-Richland 16 Penn Hills 9

I heard Moon had a 20+ play drive that resulted in 3 points. It sounds like something the Steelers would do. A heartbreaker for Penn Hills, leading the entire game only to give it up with 2 seconds left. Props to the freshman QB for PR to lead the game-winning drive.

4A
McKeesport 28 Trinity 14
Mars 24 Central Valley 14
Montour 51 Thomas Jefferson 21
Aliquippa 37 Latrobe 29

Latrobe came to play. They nearly erased an 18-point first quarter deficit and had the ball down 31-29 late. Great effort on their end. Trinity made a mind boggling call to go for a ridiculously long FG that wasn't even close and returned for a TD. Game changer. TJ seemed to struggle against better teams this year and Montour delivered. Central Valley was in business after a big pass down 17-14, but an illegal man downfield called it back and Mars did a great job closing out the game. Kasperowicz has his team in the semis in year 2..

3A
East Allegheny 28 South Park 21
Belle Vernon 49 Deer Lakes 6
Avonworth 41 Beaver 21
Elizabeth Forward 42 West Mifflin 21

South Park kept it pretty close, just not enough. Blowouts the rest of the way.

2A
Washington 18 McGuffey 7
Beaver Falls 14 Neshannock 13
Mohawk 17 Imani Christian 12
Steel Valley 21 Western Beaver 18

A competitive conference. Beaver Falls pulls the big upset, but a team that has been in the finals recently, there was potential there for a run. They won on a blocked punt return for a TD and two-point conversion.

1A
Bishop Canevin 34 California 8
South Side Beaver 48 Greensburg Central Catholic 21
Forth Cherry 42 Rochester 0
Clairton 18 Union 6

Another classification with blowouts, but things should get interesting in the semis. It feels like it could be a tossup at this point.

I was wondering today, what were some of the biggest upsets in WPIAL playoff history? And I dont mean a 2 seed beating a 1 seed at Heinz as some huge perceived underdog. I mean like an 8 over a 1. A 15 over 2. Stuff like that

Reactions: Burgh15
I was wondering today, what were some of the biggest upsets in WPIAL playoff history? And I dont mean a 2 seed beating a 1 seed at Heinz as some huge perceived underdog. I mean like an 8 over a 1. A 15 over 2. Stuff like that
Just last year No. 10 Union beat No. 1 Bishop Canevin 26-0 for the A title. This same year, No. 14 Rochester beat No. 3 GCC 36-15 and No. 6 Fort Cherry 30-14.

6A
Central Catholic vs. North Allegheny

Central dominated the first game and should be the favorites again tonight, though there are some people who think NA will take the second meeting.

5A
Peters Township vs. Pine-Richland

Pine-Richland has the proven track record and a coach with two PIAA championships and Peters Township just dominated ever opponent they played this year.

4A
Aliquippa 47 Mars 24
McKeesport 28 Montour 14

Aliquippa left no doubt last night and completely dominated Mars. After seeing both Mars and Latrobe this year, Mars just didn't have the same type of roster to compete. An incredible run of 16 straight WPIAL championship game appearances for Aliquippa. McKeesport ran all over Montour. They have a great combination of power and speed which makes up for zero passing game. At one point McKeesport fans were yelling to quit throwing the ball. There was a brief period of time Montour looked to be in control, but couldn't sustain it. This probably should've been a one-score game if not for a missed opportunity for a TD. Next week should be a pretty good game.

3A
Belle Vernon 49 East Allegheny 8
Avonworth 21 Elizabeth Forward 10

Belle Vernon took care of business as expected. Avonworth-EF took awhile to get going with virtually no offense in the first quarter. Avonworth erased a 14-10 deficit behind a strong running game. Despite an undefeated season, it's hard to see a competitive championship game.

2A
Steel Valley 34 Mohawk 21
Beaver Falls 28 Washington 26

Steel Valley had an impressive first half, putting up 28 points. A blocked punt for a TD for Mohawk kept this game closer than it should've been. Beaver Falls run from the 10-seed continues. I saw some were calling this an upset, but at this point, Beaver Falls should've been the favorite. They've been to three straight title games and looked impressive in the playoffs. I read both teams turned the ball over 5 times and a couple of failed conversions after TDs proved to be the difference.

1A
South Side Beaver 28 Clairton 12
Fort Cherry 33 Bishop Canevin 21

South Side rolled past Clairton behind three TD passes. It was a good win over a Clairton team that had a chance to make a run from the No. 4 spot. Matt Sieg scored 5 TDs to lead a comeback win over Bishop Canevin. Fort Cherry was trailing 21-14 in the 4th quarter

6A
Central Catholic vs. North Allegheny

Central dominated the first game and should be the favorites again tonight, though there are some people who think NA will take the second meeting.

5A
Peters Township vs. Pine-Richland

Pine-Richland has the proven track record and a coach with two PIAA championships and Peters Township just dominated ever opponent they played this year.

4A
Aliquippa 47 Mars 24
McKeesport 28 Montour 14

Aliquippa left no doubt last night and completely dominated Mars. After seeing both Mars and Latrobe this year, Mars just didn't have the same type of roster to compete. An incredible run of 16 straight WPIAL championship game appearances for Aliquippa. McKeesport ran all over Montour. They have a great combination of power and speed which makes up for zero passing game. At one point McKeesport fans were yelling to quit throwing the ball. There was a brief period of time Montour looked to be in control, but couldn't sustain it. This probably should've been a one-score game if not for a missed opportunity for a TD. Next week should be a pretty good game.

3A
Belle Vernon 49 East Allegheny 8
Avonworth 21 Elizabeth Forward 10

Belle Vernon took care of business as expected. Avonworth-EF took awhile to get going with virtually no offense in the first quarter. Avonworth erased a 14-10 deficit behind a strong running game. Despite an undefeated season, it's hard to see a competitive championship game.

2A
Steel Valley 34 Mohawk 21
Beaver Falls 28 Washington 26

Steel Valley had an impressive first half, putting up 28 points. A blocked punt for a TD for Mohawk kept this game closer than it should've been. Beaver Falls run from the 10-seed continues. I saw some were calling this an upset, but at this point, Beaver Falls should've been the favorite. They've been to three straight title games and looked impressive in the playoffs. I read both teams turned the ball over 5 times and a couple of failed conversions after TDs proved to be the difference.

1A
South Side Beaver 28 Clairton 12
Fort Cherry 33 Bishop Canevin 21

South Side rolled past Clairton behind three TD passes. It was a good win over a Clairton team that had a chance to make a run from the No. 4 spot. Matt Sieg scored 5 TDs to lead a comeback win over Bishop Canevin. Fort Cherry was trailing 21-14 in the 4th quarter

Chalk.

No upsets in WPIAL football.

That's why I say they should have played 3A-6A today at Acrisure. 1A and 2A could have played at Norwin next weekend. This would have meant only an 8 team playoff and a bye week after the championship game but so what. There's no upsets and its better to have CC/NA and PT/PR at Acrisure instead of Fort Cherry/SSB and Steel Valley/Beaver Falls

There was a brief period of time Montour looked to be in control, but couldn't sustain it. This probably should've been a one-score game if not for a missed opportunity for a TD.
There was never a brief moment where Montour looked to be in "control." It shouldn't have been a 1 score game either. McKeesport easily could have won by 4 scores. They fumbled the 1st one on the goal line in the 1st quarter. In the 2nd quarter, the younger Spell kid scored that was called back. McKeesport absolutely dominated Montour. If it wasn't for Montour's QB pulling a few rabbits out of his hat, this would've been real ugly even with McKeesport playing sloppy.

Reactions: bschulter
There was never a brief moment where Montour looked to be in "control." It shouldn't have been a 1 score game either. McKeesport easily could have won by 4 scores. They fumbled the 1st one on the goal line in the 1st quarter. In the 2nd quarter, the younger Spell kid scored that was called back. McKeesport absolutely dominated Montour. If it wasn't for Montour's QB pulling a few rabbits out of his hat, this would've been real ugly even with McKeesport playing sloppy.
Right after the half the Montour offense was moving with relative ease. They also missed 0 wide open in the flat with blockers in front. Would've been an easy TD to tie it at 21.

6A
Last week, North Allegheny was impressive in a 44-41 shootout to bounce back from a big regular season loss to Central Catholic. QB Logan Kushner was excellent.

5A
Peters Township was for real dominating every game this season. They did so again against Pine-Richland, winning 43-17.

4A
Aliquippa is in its 16th straight WPIAL championship game and McKeesport will try to lean on its ground attack. Aliquippa has the better skill positions, but McKeesport has a pretty good line.

3A
Belle Vernon never looked quite as good as last year, but are still clearly the best tea in AAA. Avonworth had a great season and played a relatively close game against Elizabeth Forward, who Belle Vernon dominated. It's a rematch from last year.

2A
Another championship rematch between Steel Valley and Beaver Falls. BF is in a third straight title game after making a run from the No. 10-seed and building momentum. Steel Valley will look for a repeat, but has played closer games in the playoffs after dominating for most of the regular season.

1A
South Side is the 1-seed over Fort Cherry and it was a tossup. Fort Cherry has one of the best players left in the playoffs with QB Matt Sieg. He was excellent last week in the win over Bishop Canevin.

6A
Last week, North Allegheny was impressive in a 44-41 shootout to bounce back from a big regular season loss to Central Catholic. QB Logan Kushner was excellent.

5A
Peters Township was for real dominating every game this season. They did so again against Pine-Richland, winning 43-17.

4A
Aliquippa is in its 16th straight WPIAL championship game and McKeesport will try to lean on its ground attack. Aliquippa has the better skill positions, but McKeesport has a pretty good line.

3A
Belle Vernon never looked quite as good as last year, but are still clearly the best tea in AAA. Avonworth had a great season and played a relatively close game against Elizabeth Forward, who Belle Vernon dominated. It's a rematch from last year.

2A
Another championship rematch between Steel Valley and Beaver Falls. BF is in a third straight title game after making a run from the No. 10-seed and building momentum. Steel Valley will look for a repeat, but has played closer games in the playoffs after dominating for most of the regular season.

1A
South Side is the 1-seed over Fort Cherry and it was a tossup. Fort Cherry has one of the best players left in the playoffs with QB Matt Sieg. He was excellent last week in the win over Bishop Canevin.
Sieg's father is a huge nitter and they're enamored with Terry Smith.

Can I ask a serious question for all Pitt fans. (I follow Pitt because of my daughter)

Considering the QB play (or lack there of) why does Pitt only offer 2 QB in a class? I looked at the offer page it has listed for 2024 & only 2 in 2025.

Can I ask a serious question for all Pitt fans. (I follow Pitt because of my daughter)

Considering the QB play (or lack there of) why does Pitt only offer 2 QB in a class? I looked at the offer page it has listed for 2024 & only 2 in 2025.
I think QB recruiting is a very sensitive, tenuous thing. It is what it is.

Reactions: Hardslider21

They’ve offered more than two. Scroll down on the offer list and there are many listed under PRO and Dual.

Can Pitt get back in with the NJ QB, Miles ONeil or is A&M money too much regardless of who the next coach is?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hardslider21

who would have thought a Gottfried recruiting loss in 1985 would be such a thorn in our sides for almost 40 years. Maybe he slipped through the cracks if he was the class in between Foge/Gottfried, can't remember exactly.

Although their last WPIAL guy, Bradley, was also a big pain for many years.

Combo of good recruiters and an easy sell

who would have thought a Gottfried recruiting loss in 1985 would be such a thorn in our sides for almost 40 years. Maybe he slipped through the cracks if he was the class in between Foge/Gottfried, can't remember exactly.

Although their last WPIAL guy, Bradley, was also a big pain for many years.

Combo of good recruiters and an easy sell

His dad grew up by Beaver Stadium, very easy sell. Wonder if he hero worshipped craps-a-lot and Jerry?????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT