ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling attendance

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Is it our 3rd highest attended sport behind football and basketball? I know they've lowered capacity in the Field House since the bball teams moved out but it seems that fairly often, most seats are filled.

I don't know exactly what the women average per game, but we draw pretty well in wrestling, especially for the name opponents. I think capacity at the Fitz is 3,500 currently on both sides with the bleachers in the mezzanine pulled out.

Women's hoops attendance has crashed the last couple of seasons. In 2007, it was over 4K per game. Last year, it had dropped to just over 1.6K. At its height, the women's team was filling the bowl of the Pete for weekend games and bigger games. If Suzie gets it going, I can see them filling up the lower bowl of the Pete regularly....getting up to maybe 5K.

They could pretty easily add seats in Fitzgerald where it used to have pull out risers along the baselines of the court. They certainly could have sold out those extra seats for PSU last year.

Originally posted by bwh05:
I don't know exactly what the women average per game, but we draw pretty well in wrestling, especially for the name opponents. I think capacity at the Fitz is 3,500 currently on both sides with the bleachers in the mezzanine pulled out.
I thought the only available seating is the lower level sections at the Field House now. I thought the upper level on the one side was a weight room for olympic sports and the other side were offices. But I havent been in there since the hoops teams moved out.

It is also interesting that wrestling is the 3rd largest money maker for the NCAA for their championships.

One side is the Olympic Sports Weight Room, the other side still has the capability to become bleacher seating if needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT