ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: PSU v Iowa

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
I watched the match on television, and I don't think Iowa is much better than us, if they are better at all.

They didn't wrestle their top guy at 125, but I think Zanetta would beat the guy who did wrestle.

At 133, Ramos is a beast and pinned Guilfullon. I think he would beat Mack but hopefully not pin him

The key matches were supposed to be at 141 and 149 and Iowa lost both. Relleford, who barely beat Bright, pinned the Iowa wrestler, and PSU won pretty easily at 149. Mikey pinned their 149 pounder although it was a close match.

At 157, St Johns won but didn't get any bonus points. At 165, Taylor toyed with the Iowa wrestler who is ranked #4. He took him down at will, then let him up and took him down again. He couldn't pin him but he got a technical fall.

At 174 and 184, Brown and Ruth were totally dominant. At 197 the PSU wrestler hardly worked up a sweat before pinning the Iowa kid. Iowa won its 3rd match at HWT.

I think Iowa would be favored at 133, 157, 165 and Hwt. I think Pitt would be favored at 125, 141, 174 and 184. 149 and 197 would be tossups. Iowa didn't look like the number 3 team in the country and don't look like a great tournament team either because they have at least 4 guys who I don't see going very far in the consolations and they aren't likely to rack up a lot of bonus points.

I haven't seen Oklahoma State but I doubt they or any other team can make a run at PSU. They have no weak weight class. They will be stronger at 149 and 157 when the Alton brothers come back. Their HWT is good but not great. However from 165 to 197 they have what is a Murderer's Row of guys who not only win but rack up bonus points. At one time their incoming class had 4 of the top 7 recruits in the country but then Marstellar flipped to Oklahoma State. So unless they flip him back, they will have to settle for 3 of the top 7.

Disagree totally. Pitt would be underdog at 125,141,174, and 184 also. That Iowa 2 nd stringer at 125 was undefeated and ranked #4 seed at Midlands. At 141 Iowans was undefeated until Retherford(#1 ranked). At 174Iowa is ranked # 3 in NCAA and was first loss of season. Match was close. At 184 Iowa is ranked #2 in country, but Ruth beats everyone easily. 149 is toss up, but at 197 Iowa has ranked guy who did not wrestle. They used back up at 184 for match.

Going by who wrestled for Iowa against PSU. If two ranked guys didn't wrestle, I can't judge them. For a team wrestling at home in a big match in front of a huge crowd, I thought they were very unimpressive. They weren't aggressive and took very few shots. It was not the kind of performance I expected from a Brands' coached team. I thought we were more competitive in all but three weight classes. If you had taken the name Iowa off their singlets, I would have thought I was watching Lock Haven.

You are correct. Iowa did not look good, but Pitt is still not close to them. Iowa fans are really down on the Hawks. Lots of complaining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT