ADVERTISEMENT

WVU HC

you know who would do well at wvu? Charlie Strong. that would be a great hire for them. think he's like co - coordinator at Miami so a HC at WVU would be an easy sell.

I liked him a lot but felt like texas was a bad fit for him. he was sweet at L'Ville, has great ties to florida recruiting. they should make that call after Brown's next loss..

I just think that's a tough - albeit not impossible - place to win. They've had good pockets of success here and there, but you'd think they were a college football elite stalwart for decades if you heard them talk. I agree they need to hit Florida hard (them and every other school on the East Coast). I assume they already do to some level.

His hair would just look wilder and wilder by the end of every game. It was like watching Bill Murray in Kingpin.
he's just the mad genius coordinator that you keep up in the booth and watch your passing game do wonders. a spot where he really cant embarrass you, on the field or off of it. he just didnt have that "face of the program" demeanor that you want from a HC. but in wvu, you dont really need that.

I just think that's a tough - albeit not impossible - place to win. They've had good pockets of success here and there, but you'd think they were a college football elite stalwart for decades if you heard them talk. I agree they need to hit Florida hard (them and every other school on the East Coast). I assume they already do to some level.
with oklahoma gone, and texas, i really dont see why a good program cant win the big 12. i really think Neal Brown is the issue there. A new hire that excites the fanbase, in that conference, can easily be a top 3 team in the big 12..

in a year, you'll be competing against OK state, houston and Cincy. Solid programs but far from blue blood programs.

with oklahoma gone, and texas, i really dont see why a good program cant win the big 12. i really think Neal Brown is the issue there. A new hire that excites the fanbase, in that conference, can easily be a top 3 team in the big 12..

in a year, you'll be competing against OK state, houston and Cincy. Solid programs but far from blue blood programs.

Yeah, that's basically the old Big East. For as much as people rag on the ACC, it'll be the third best conference by a seismic margin pretty soon.

you think the new big 12 will be better than the ACC by a "seismic margin"? You see, i dont agree.

No. I think the ACC will be better. Third as in behind only the SEC and BIG. I'd put the new Big 12 at 4th, and I'm not even sure if the PAC 12 gets to be 5th. I'd have to look at what the Mountain West is doing these days.

Ten years from now, the WVU fans will bring up the fact they got ripped off and the incompletion near the goal line was actually a catch. So save this pic in your archives (not that it would do any good...)
Fbq2UXLXEAAn7jK

For the sake of all Pitt fans and the Pitt program, WVU had better be up at least 3 TDs n Kansas by halftime.
🤔
I think you’ve got it backwards. For the sake of the WVU program what you are stating needs to happen. Pitt is done with them for 2022.

They had an entire fall camp to focus on Pitt. Came out and gave it their absolute best shot, but still lost.

They could be very ripe for a letdown as demonstrated by their own HC still dwelling on the game they just lost instead of what lies ahead. But that’s at Brown’s discretion. 🤷‍♂️

Yep. Replay certainly got that one correct. Clear, incontrovertible video evidence in that photo. Just surprised how the Big XII crew managed to miss that ball skidding on the grass from that close of a view on the field? 🤔

On top of that (for the fans who say it's allowed to touch the ground if he has control of it), it bounced into his shoulder after he finally got his hands around it (i.e. picked it out of the grass like an Easter Egg). If this was basketball, he'd have been whistled for double dribble.

All that said, Battle couldn't have played the ball much worse. Should have been a pick.

WVU was always a place where they get kids that fell through the cracks....for various reasons. Major Harris and Pat White, because most schools were recruiting them for other positions than QB. Marc Bulger because we were stupid and ND didn't recruit him. Steve Slaton was really overlooked. But guys like Pac Man and Chris Henry, Steadman Bailey, even SEC schools wouldn't touch them. So they are always in the margins, and have done quite well considering.

WVU was always a place where they get kids that fell through the cracks....for various reasons. Major Harris and Pat White, because most schools were recruiting them for other positions than QB. Marc Bulger because we were stupid and ND didn't recruit him. Steve Slaton was really overlooked. But guys like Pac Man and Chris Henry, Steadman Bailey, even SEC schools wouldn't touch them. So they are always in the margins, and have done quite well considering.

Oh no doubt they are the Cincinnati Bengals of college football. Like I think Pitt could have had Lynn Bowden, but Narduzzi would have rather recruited a bucket of radium. Places like WVU or Kentucky, on the other hand...

If it was any other coach, you'd have to say that coach made a fool of himself. But with Brown, he's already a known fool and it goes without saying it.

True - but the implication there is that they dont think it should have been overturned. Otherwise, why say it.
I don't agree.

The target audience was WVU fans. He was telling them that a win was close because it came down to an overturned call. He didn't say the review was wrong. In the context of sending a message to fans, it was perfectly fine.

I don't agree.

The target audience was WVU fans. He was telling them that a win was close because it came down to an overturned call. He didn't say the review was wrong. In the context of sending a message to fans, it was perfectly fine.

I kind of agree with this. If he thought it should have been a catch, I feel like he would have said that. I think he did after the game, but I assume he hadn't seen the replay at that time... or at least I hope so.

Still, this entire thing is weird. I'd be cool with making this at the end of the season if you were inches away from winning something of significance (like, a national championship). But they were inches away from winning a single game, and it's only week one. Not exactly the time to be somber and reflective, in my opinion.

Reactions: NCPitt
He's just playing to the fans. It wasn't a catch, which anyone who saw the replay knows.

Reactions: NCPitt
I kind of agree with this. If he thought it should have been a catch, I feel like he would have said that. I think he did after the game, but I assume he hadn't seen the replay at that time... or at least I hope so.

Still, this entire thing is weird. I'd be cool with making this at the end of the season if you were inches away from winning something of significance (like, a national championship). But they were inches away from winning a single game, and it's only week one. Not exactly the time to be somber and reflective, in my opinion.

inches from a chance to tie it. Still would have had to punch it in and kick the PAT

Reactions: DruidTM

No they were inches away from tying a game…

Yep. The on field call was wrong. So the call on the field - that Brown for some reason unnecessarily chose to reference - was correctly deemed irrelevant.
I don't think the point was that he thought it necessarily a catch, it just pissed him off that his wasn't and pitt's was a catch when it looked like it hit the ground as well. Also, hardly anyone on the WVU 247 board thinks ours was a catch. Only a few.

And the targeting call against us was correct but the forearm to the head of our guy was not. A shot the head is a shot to the head and should have been called, but not necessarily kicked out of the game. But if you're trying to eliminate all head shots, call them all.

I don't think the point was that he thought it necessarily a catch, it just pissed him off that his wasn't and pitt's was a catch when it looked like it hit the ground as well. Also, hardly anyone on the WVU 247 board thinks ours was a catch. Only a few.

And the targeting call against us was correct but the forearm to the head of our guy was not. A shot the head is a shot to the head and should have been called, but not necessarily kicked out of the game. But if you're trying to eliminate all head shots, call them all.
Both plays were video reviewed. The difference from what I saw was that Bartholomew’s hands were UNDER the ball. Your guy’s hands - as the conclusive photo shows - WEREN’T. Hands on top of the ball is clear evidence of a trapped ball and NOT a catch.

But then let's also remember the ridiculous "cut block" call on our DEFENDER and the taunting call in the end zone that could have easily been let go.

But all in all, I hated all of the reviews but they pretty much got it right.

However, let's face it.........that catch wasn't close. I mean Bartholomew's was close, it was also an innocuous 7 yard gain on a 1st down. The last play the ball obviously skipped into the WVU WR's hands off of the ground. And it was the game.

Meh!!! Sounds like a whiny baby. I was able to totally ignore this guy the past 3 years. Now I officially despise him.
Three months from now you can revert to ignoring him. They’ll finish around 6-6 and he’ll be out. Last week was his Super Bowl and he failed.

Do you know that the ball can hit the ground and it still be considered a catch? Because it most certainly can.

The distinct difference between the two plays was that our TE had the ball secure in his hands when the ball hit the ground. He never bobbled it or lost possession. Your WR never had the ball secure, he trapped it against the ground, and the ball rolled. They aren't similar at all.

I can buy that someone who doesn't understand the rule thinks the Pitt play wasn't a catch because it hit the ground. But that's only because they don't know the rule, or in your coach's case, doesn't want to acknowledge the rule for his own benefit.

Do you know that the ball can hit the ground and it still be considered a catch? Because it most certainly can.

The distinct difference between the two plays was that our TE had the ball secure in his hands when the ball hit the ground. He never bobbled it or lost possession. Your WR never had the ball secure, he trapped it against the ground, and the ball rolled. They aren't similar at all.

I can buy that someone who doesn't understand the rule thinks the Pitt play wasn't a catch because it hit the ground. But that's only because they don't know the rule, or in your coach's case, doesn't want to acknowledge the rule for his own benefit.
I know it can hit the ground and be a catch. The thing is, I don't think the ball went between Reece's hands, he got it under the ball but I think it went sideways but he recovered so quickly you couldn't quite tell in live time. But I don't think it was so telling that the pitt guy made his catch tho. There was one angle where it looked like it moved. But overall, screw it, we messed up and lost. It's over.

I know it can hit the ground and be a catch. The thing is, I don't think the ball went between Reece's hands, he got it under the ball but I think it went sideways but he recovered so quickly you couldn't quite tell in live time. But I don't think it was so telling that the pitt guy made his catch tho. There was one angle where it looked like it moved. But overall, screw it, we messed up and lost. It's over.

If you look at it through funhouse mirror while upside-down...

Nah, never mind...

Okay, I'll say it...

Norwood's kick was right down Broadway, baby...

But I mean they called it wide right, so...

Eh, whatever. It was most likely good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT