ADVERTISEMENT

WVU vs. Pitt...Backyard Brawl week---------

eer2000

Prep
May 29, 2001
Very happy that WVU and Pitt are once again meeting on the court...rivalry is too good to discontinue. There have been so many good ones over the years, from the days of Gale Catlett leading WVU to double-OT wins over a Brian Shorter led Pitt team in '90, to the Big East days as you always seemed to get Kevin Pittsnogle's best efforts, to the triple OT Pitt upset win over a top ten ranked (and eventual Final Four) WVU team in 2010, to Ramon's dagger to beat WVU in '09...so many good memories.

A WVU primer for you: Last year was a hot mess in Morgantown. Huggins kicked two starters off the team (Esa Ahmad, Wesley Harris), and had two other part-time starters (Beetle Bolden, Lamont West) leave via transfer portal. Sags Konate left to try the NBA waters. But, WVU has returned a really nice nucleus, including preseason Big 12 First Team PF Derek Culver, who averaged a double-double last season. Add five-star recruit and McDonald's All-American Oscar Tshiebwe to our front line, and WVU is pretty imposing inside.

That said, Bob Huggins is still figuring things out with this roster. In the Exhibition game vs. Duquesne, and in the opener vs. Akron, Huggs toyed with lineups continually. Our starting PG Jordan McCabe, who is a lethal shooter and a Sean Miller-esque ball-handle, only played 9 minutes. Tshiebwe only played 12 minutes. So, really, other than Derek Culver being WVU lynchpin inside, and Emmitt Matthews Jr., a 6'8" swingman, being WVU's main scoring option, WVU fans really don't know what to expect Friday night. No idea at all. I could see WVU losing, I could see WVU winning. It should be a great atmosphere.

The one major change for WVU from last year to this year, is that Huggins went out and brought in scorers. He picked up the top two JUCO scorers in the country last year - two guards named Taz Sherman and Sean McNeil. McNeil is your typical three-point assassin, but has nice size at 6'4", and Sherman is a versatile scorer who can score off the bounce or from the outside. WVU has the aforementioned Jordan McCabe who can fill it up from beyond the arc, as can Matthews, Chase Harler, and backup point guard Brandon Knapper. So, WVU has three-point capability this year, unlike last.

As for Pitt, you will have a wide variety of open looks from three-point land. WVU and Bob Huggins still employs a denial-man defense, which looks to trap often in half-court, which leads to wide open looks from "3" on ball reversals. WVU was susceptible to the dribble-drives often last year as well. Supposedly they are better this year, but I'm sure we'll find out Friday night. WVU only presses now as a token change-up during the game. "Press Virginia" is no longer a 40-minute meat-grinder.

Keys to victory for WVU? Win the rebounding margin significantly and hope that Pitt does not get hot from the outside.

Keys to victory for Pitt? Knock down your open outside shots -- you'll have plenty. Ryan Murphy will be a key figure Friday. Force turnovers. WVU's guards can get sloppy with entry passes. If Pitt keeps this game close throughout, or holds the lead throughout, I have a feeling that the fact that Pitt has played four games to WVU's one will give Pitt an edge.

Either way, going to be a fun watch Friday...

Well that was definitely non-bias LOL. I wouldn't call McCabe a lethal shooter. He does handle the ball like Sean Miller, but more like a Sean Miller halftime show back in the day. Huggins says he needs to pass the ball if he wants to play. Luckily McBride, the true freshman, has looked really good at the point. WVU has the potential to be good on the inside. Just haven't been there yet after playing the Dukes and Zips. The big picture WVU has the piece in place to have a big year. Its just if they can all come together. Posting on a Pitt message board I'm sure everyone could care less. But as far as the game Friday, Emmitt Matthews and Culver will be the biggest factors for WVU. Matthews has shown to be their most consistent shooter so far and Culver is the most consistent inside. Beyond that, Miles McBride and Taz Sherman having big games wouldn't surprise me.

My God Hoopie fans are coming out of the hollars and off the mountaintops for this one.I'd bet good money that Mr2000 wrote that essay while sitting in a treestand looking for HIS Buck!Oh well I have my own opinion of Wvu and their team and it differs somewhat.One thing I agree with is we can't stop a straight line drive. We're not good on ball defenders and don't have a rim protector. Lots of foul shots and open 3s for Pitt.bwdik

My God Hoopie fans are coming out of the hollars and off the mountaintops for this one.I'd bet good money that Mr2000 wrote that essay while sitting in a treestand looking for HIS Buck!Oh well I have my own opinion of Wvu and their team and it differs somewhat.One thing I agree with is we can't stop a straight line drive. We're not good on ball defenders and don't have a rim protector. Lots of foul shots and open 3s for Pitt.bwdik
Hunting season doesn’t start until the 23rd!

Nope to the ESP chants. Concerted efforts are being made to sing TMH, CR IF we win. Only a win. Think this is about a 50/50 game. If Culver plays hard, then maybe 55-45 game.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Maybe if Culver makes more of those 5' shots he takes Wvu has a chance. What was he against Akron like 4-15?

Maybe if Culver makes more of those 5' shots he takes Wvu has a chance. What was he against Akron like 4-15?
He missed a lot of easy bunnies that he usually makes around the paint. Hugg's said he was going to fast. Early in the season will do that to you

Culver vs. Terrell Brown is going to be a hell of a matchup. I'm really curious to see how Huggins plays the lineups in this one. I would imagine he's going to give Oscar Tshiebwe a lot of run, as Pitt doesn't seem to have another big with that type of bounce and muscle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT