ADVERTISEMENT

Yet Another OT Music Thread ... Best/Favorite Albums of the Millennium

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
It's tougher for some of us old farts to keep up with music. Fortunately, along with Sirius and the Internet, I've got an almost 19 year old kid with musical knowledge and taste that never ceases to amaze me. They are always introducing me to new things while I fill them in on some old things. Through it all, I managed to keep up OK I guess. We also get into plenty of debates about the best albums which was the inspiration for this thread.

Since this millennium is almost 25 years old, I thought it would be fun to put together a top 25 in that time frame. The list I've put below is somewhere between my favorite 25 albums (beginning to end) along with a touch of consideration of which have proven to be most acclaimed.

I hope others will join in with their own lists of 25, 20 or even just a few, using whatever top album criteria you wish. It certainly allows us to share with other some ideas of good new things to listen to. A little later, I'll post my kid's lists. They are offering two lists -- an overall list and another of one of just hip hop since they suggested that my list does not include enough (and I confess that generally I don't love hip hop a great deal personally).

And I also encourage fellow posters to offer their own lists if for no other reason other than to offer titles esoteric or obscure enough to irritate @ChiefJusticeMarshall .

First, some of those I considered, but didn't make the cut:
xx – The XX, Fetch the Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple, Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend, For Emma, Forever Ago – Bon Iver, Speakerbox / The Love Below – Outkast, Melodrama – Lorde, Teen Dream – Beach House, Future Nostalgia -- Dua Lipa, Teens of Denial – Car Seat Headrest, 808’s & Heartbreak – Kayne West, m b v – My Bloody Valentine, Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit – Courtney Barnett, Blue Rev – Alvvays. Run the Jewels 2 -- Run the Jewels, and Collapse Into Now – R.E.M. because every list I make has to include R.E.M.

From there ...

25. Demon Days – Gorillaz
24. The Glow Pt. 2 – The Microphones
23. The Money Store – Death Grips
22. E•MO•TION – Carly Rae Jepsen
21. Turn on the Bright Lights – Interpol
20. Vulnicura – Bjork
19. Punisher – Phoebe Bridgers
18. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea – PJ Harvey
17. Hail to the Thief – Radiohead
16. Random Access Memory – Daft Punk
15. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot – Wilco
14. Illinoise - Sufian Stevens
13. Art Angels - Grimes
12. Elephant – The White Stripes
11. High Violet – The National
10. Norman ****ing Rockwell – Lana Del Rey
9. Golden Hour - Kacey Musgraves
8. Is This It? - The Strokes
7. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Phoenix
6. Oh, Inverted World – The Shins
5. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
4. Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective
3. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy – Kanye West
2. Kid A – Radiohead
1. To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar

Eclectic list. I'll have to think hard about what would make my list.

It's tougher for some of us old farts to keep up with music. Fortunately, along with Sirius and the Internet, I've got an almost 19 year old kid with musical knowledge and taste that never ceases to amaze me. They are always introducing me to new things while I fill them in on some old things. Through it all, I managed to keep up OK I guess. We also get into plenty of debates about the best albums which was the inspiration for this thread.

Since this millennium is almost 25 years old, I thought it would be fun to put together a top 25 in that time frame. The list I've put below is somewhere between my favorite 25 albums (beginning to end) along with a touch of consideration of which have proven to be most acclaimed.

I hope others will join in with their own lists of 25, 20 or even just a few, using whatever top album criteria you wish. It certainly allows us to share with other some ideas of good new things to listen to. A little later, I'll post my kid's lists. They are offering two lists -- an overall list and another of one of just hip hop since they suggested that my list does not include enough (and I confess that generally I don't love hip hop a great deal personally).

And I also encourage fellow posters to offer their own lists if for no other reason other than to offer titles esoteric or obscure enough to irritate @ChiefJusticeMarshall .

xx – The XX, Fetch the Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple, Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend, For Emma, Forever Ago – Bon Iver, Speakerbox / The Love Below – Outkast, Melodrama – Lorde, Teen Dream – Beach House, Future Nostalgia -- Dua Lipa, Teens of Denial – Car Seat Headrest, 808’s & Heartbreak – Kayne West, m b v – My Bloody Valentine, Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit – Courtney Barnett, Blue Rev – Alvvays. Run the Jewels 2 -- Run the Jewels, and Collapse Into Now – R.E.M. because every list I make has to include R.E.M.

From there ...

20. Vulnicura – Bjork
13. Art Angels - Grimes
2. Kid A – Radiohead
I too would have to think about that one for a bit. But the first that came to mind for me was Vampire Weekend and I’m really digging their latest release this year.

Reactions: FireballZ
I too would have to think about that one for a bit. But the first that came to mind for me was Vampire Weekend and I’m really digging their latest release this year.
Vampire Weekend would have been the first concert I would have taken my Kid to had it not been cancelled in the summer of 2020.

As for the new album, I love a couple of the cuts a great deal. Just didn't like it overall as much as their first. But there's no questioning Ezra Koenig's sincerity.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This makes me feel really old. I’m stuck in 1965-1973.
Knew very few of the bands posted.
But I might listen to some recommendations.

I’ll add a few more in no particular order :
Green Day - American Idiot
RTJ3 and 4
Mos Def - The New danger
Drake - Take Care
Olivia Rodrigo - Sour
Bastille - Bad blood
Talib Kweli- Quality
Rise Against - the sufferer and witness
The Interruptors -fight the good fight
CharliXCX- Charli
AJR- The Click
Billie Eilish - when we sleep where do we go
Chvches- Every Open Eye
Black Thought & Danger Mouse - Cheat Codes

Musical tastes are so subjective. I probably can't rank these albums, but I would say these are some of my favorite albums of the 2000s...

System of a Down-Toxicity

Smashing pumpkins-Machina, Machina II, Oceania, Atum

Silversun pickups-Canavas, Swoon

Red hot chili peppers-Stadium Arcadium

Audioslave-Audioslave

Pearl Jam-Dark Matter

Nine Inch nails-With teeth, Year Zero, Bad Witch

Foo Fighters-Wasting Light

Green Day-American Idiot

Tool-Lateralus, 10000 Days, Fear Inoculum

Royal Blood-Royal Blood, How did we get so dark

Queens of the stone age---Every album but especially songs for the deaf

Outkast-Stankonia

Run the Jewels---4, 2, 3, 1

Probably missing a few. Used to love Radiohead but their recent direction has turned me off to them but Kid A is great. So is hail to the thief.

Edit...Metallica-Hardwired

Gary clark jr---This land, JPEG raw

A perfect circle---13 step, eat the elephant

Deftones---White pony

Last edited:
Musical tastes are so subjective. I probably can't rank these albums, but I would say these are some of my favorite albums of the 2000s...

System of a Down-Toxicity

Smashing pumpkins-Machina, Machina II, Oceania, Atum

Silversun pickups-Canavas, Swoon

Red hot chili peppers-Stadium Arcadium

Audioslave-Audioslave

Pearl Jam-Dark Matter

Nine Inch nails-With teeth, Year Zero, Bad Witch

Foo Fighters-Wasting Light

Green Day-American Idiot

Tool-Lateralus, 10000 Days, Fear Inoculum

Royal Blood-Royal Blood, How did we get so dark

Queens of the stone age---Every album but especially songs for the deaf

Outkast-Stankonia

Run the Jewels---4, 2, 3, 1

Probably missing a few. Used to love Radiohead but their recent direction has turned me off to them but Kid A is great. So is hail to the thief.

Edit...Metallica-Hardwired

Gary clark jr---This land, JPEG raw

A perfect circle---13 step, eat the elephant

Deftones---White pony
This aligns much more with my taste. Don't think I could create a list in the 2000s and leave Stadium Arcadium, Audioslave, and American Idiot off.

For me, Toxicity is the best heavy metal album released since 2000.

I might add:
Tool - Lateralus
Linkin Park - Hybrid theory

Good thread, I'll learn something and hopefully pick up some new listening music.

This aligns much more with my taste. Don't think I could create a list in the 2000s and leave Stadium Arcadium, Audioslave, and American Idiot off.

For me, Toxicity is the best heavy metal album released since 2000.

I might add:
Tool - Lateralus
Linkin Park - Hybrid theory

Good thread, I'll learn something and hopefully pick up some new listening music.
I would argue audioslave debut is one of the greatest rock albums ever. Banger after banger.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Lots of diversity in this thread, so I’ll add something that may be a bit out there but certainly belongs somewhere in a list. Although I had to look and the album was released in mid 1999…so maybe it doesn’t qualify. But I’ll suggest Moby’s Play.

From there ...

20. Vulnicura – Bjork
13. Art Angels - Grimes
2. Kid A – Radiohead
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
😎

Reactions: ratking17
Lots of diversity in this thread, so I’ll add something that may be a bit out there but certainly belongs somewhere in a list. Although I had to look and the album was released in mid 1999…so maybe it doesn’t qualify. But I’ll suggest Moby’s Play.
Right - Play was 1999. And I love Moby - I’ve seen him 3 times - but his albums since Play have been uneven at best.

I really don't listen to full albums anymore. Don't buy or download. But listen to Satellite radio. Groups that I like that have come out the last 20 some years.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Courtney Barnett
Kurt Vile
the Decemberists
Cold War Kids
LCD Soundsystem

Some others just not coming to me at the moment

Reactions: USN_Panther
That's where I'm at. I haven't actually bought an album in probably around 10 years. But I listen to the SiriusXM app at work pretty much every day.
I wonder if this is a generational thing. My kids rarely listen to albums but always make Spotify Playlists. I can't just do that. I need to listen to the entire album, no skips, as the artist intended. I am absolutely sure that this is because my generation was vinyl and cassette and skipping songs was a bit of a challenge until CDs came along. And even then I am always entire album. Now my wife is the opposite and we fight all the time. If we are on a road trip and she is playing one of her artists, even if I hate the artist and want the album to be over, it irritates the hell out of me when she starts a song for 20 secs and then skips to the next.

I wonder if this is a generational thing. My kids rarely listen to albums but always make Spotify Playlists. I can't just do that. I need to listen to the entire album, no skips, as the artist intended. I am absolutely sure that this is because my generation was vinyl and cassette and skipping songs was a bit of a challenge until CDs came along. And even then I am always entire album. Now my wife is the opposite and we fight all the time. If we are on a road trip and she is playing one of her artists, even if I hate the artist and want the album to be over, it irritates the hell out of me when she starts a song for 20 secs and then skips to the next.

Years ago everything was geared towards albums and the selling of the whole album. Today, because of things like Spotify and playlists, everything is geared towards singles. Albums seem to be pretty much an after thought with many artists. I would guess there are a lot of younger people who love music but rarely or never buy a full album.

Years ago everything was geared towards albums and the selling of the whole album. Today, because of things like Spotify and playlists, everything is geared towards singles. Albums seem to be pretty much an after thought with many artists. I would guess there are a lot of younger people who love music but rarely or never buy a full album.
No I think that's exactly it. Albums don't sell but quickly pumping out a song or two over a weekend is the way to go for many artists...and those are typically the ones I ignore. That's why I said I think it is a generational thing. Both from an artist creativity perspective and from a listening perspective

I really don't listen to full albums anymore. Don't buy or download. But listen to Satellite radio. Groups that I like that have come out the last 20 some years.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Courtney Barnett
Kurt Vile
the Decemberists
Cold War Kids
LCD Soundsystem

Some others just not coming to me at the moment
On this note, I always say "I hate people who think music died in 19XX....." And then they will say "well what new music or groups do you like. And I will name the above or Modest Mouse and then laugh and realize "whoa, most of these have been around 20-25 years or longer.

Christ I am old.

Especially when CD's died. I used to listen to so many driving....had a long commute each way to work and being in West Virginia...yeah, not much on the radio. With XM, the downfall of "physical" music.......I think the last CD I bought was a "Best Of" Joy Division.

On this note, I always say "I hate people who think music died in 19XX....." And then they will say "well what new music or groups do you like. And I will name the above or Modest Mouse and then laugh and realize "whoa, most of these have been around 20-25 years or longer.

Christ I am old.

I am kind of the same way, but that said, so many of my musical idols of the 1990s keep on making tremendous music today...and there are legit good bands that are more recent.

Especially when CD's died. I used to listen to so many driving....had a long commute each way to work and being in West Virginia...yeah, not much on the radio. With XM, the downfall of "physical" music.......I think the last CD I bought was a "Best Of" Joy Division.
One thing that pissed me off is when I bought a new car last summer, no CD player. The dealer looked at me like a fool as I guess it's been years since they took them out of new cars. That said, Spotify is well worth the subscription because I can listen to any new album without having to buy it. I probably spent hundreds per year on CDs so whatever I spend on Spotify per year is cheaper.

Not in any order

Riot Act - Pearl Jam
Z - MMJ
Lateralus - Tool
Fear Inoculum - Tool
Hypnotize/Mezmerize - SOAD
Songs for the Deaf - Queens
Inflinkted - Cavelera Conspiracy
Morning View - Incubus
Black Gives Way to the Blue - AIC
Audioslave - Audioslave
Skin and Bones - Foo Fighters

Not in any order

Riot Act - Pearl Jam
Z - MMJ
Lateralus - Tool
Fear Inoculum - Tool
Hypnotize/Mezmerize - SOAD
Songs for the Deaf - Queens
Inflinkted - Cavelera Conspiracy
Morning View - Incubus
Black Gives Way to the Blue - AIC
Audioslave - Audioslave
Skin and Bones - Foo Fighters
I was thinking this the other day....... Right now......just pure musicianship, skill, ability whatever you may call it....is there any better combo of lead guitar, bass, drums than RHCP with John Frusciente, Flea and Chad Smith, or Tool with Adam Jones, Justin Chancellor and Danny Carey or Rage/Audio with Tom Morello, Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk?

I was thinking this the other day....... Right now......just pure musicianship, skill, ability whatever you may call it....is there any better combo of lead guitar, bass, drums than RHCP with John Frusciente, Flea and Chad Smith, or Tool with Adam Jones, Justin Chancellor and Danny Carey or Rage/Audio with Tom Morello, Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk?

I love this thought. The thing about the chili peppers is their weakness as a band is their singer. Live they are amazing, until Anthony starts rhyming states and countries. Love them, but Anthony leaves a lot to be desired.

I think the trio of Rage/Audioslave is absolutely killer as well. My only slight criticism is wilk sometimes just hits too hard.

Tool is probably musically above most others with Danny behind the kit. Just magically live. That said, they are a band where Maynard literally and figuratively takes a back seat to the rest of the band.

If I wanted to look at a band that performs at a high level at all parts, I would go with NIN, Foo Fighters, and Queens of the stone age.

Great discussion though

Those 3 are hard to beat.

Frusciente is my favorite guitarist when it comes to the past 25-35 years. That rhythm section is magic. Youtube - Californication Live at Slane Castle. Incredible intro between Flea and Frusciente.

Tool has been a favorite of mine since I was in 9th grade. I never heard a sound like that until they came along. Every album is a masterpiece.

RATM/Audioslave has been a favorite of mine. I like RATM's live album the best. Audioslave grew on me as the years went by. I didn't appreciate them early on.

All these bands create great grooves with awesome riffs blended in.

Those 3 are hard to beat.

Frusciente is my favorite guitarist when it comes to the past 25-35 years. That rhythm section is magic. Youtube - Californication Live at Slane Castle. Incredible intro between Flea and Frusciente.

Tool has been a favorite of mine since I was in 9th grade. I never heard a sound like that until they came along. Every album is a masterpiece.

RATM/Audioslave has been a favorite of mine. I like RATM's live album the best. Audioslave grew on me as the years went by. I didn't appreciate them early on.

All these bands create great grooves with awesome riffs blended in.
Agree 100%%%%

I didnt like what the peppers did to Josh, but he seems to have found his post chili peppers life to be quite successful...additionally you aren't going to turn away John if he wants back in the band. Tremendous player. And like many of said, his grooves with flea and Chad are magical.

I didnt like what the peppers did to Josh, but he seems to have found his post chili peppers life to be quite successful...additionally you aren't going to turn away John if he wants back in the band. Tremendous player. And like many of said, his grooves with flea and Chad are magical.
I agree. I thought Josh did a great job in the interim. The basement session they did with Josh and the percussionist (don't know his name) is phenomenal.

I love this thought. The thing about the chili peppers is their weakness as a band is their singer. Live they are amazing, until Anthony starts rhyming states and countries. Love them, but Anthony leaves a lot to be desired.
I think Anthony just fits what the RHCP are. I'll never forget sitting in 7th grade near the end of the school year. The windows were open, you could smell the fresh grass being cut, and the teacher had on "Under the Bridge." It had me daydreaming of Southern California. That entire summer of Blood Sugar Sex Magic was great. Oh to be young again.

I think Anthony just fits what the RHCP are. I'll never forget sitting in 7th grade near the end of the school year. The windows were open, you could smell the fresh grass being cut, and the teacher had on "Under the Bridge." It had me daydreaming of Southern California. That entire summer of Blood Sugar Sex Magic was great. Oh to be young again.
Yeppp ..

That said, they still produce great music. Eddie, especially live...wow...you won't find a better song.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
The crazy thing is Maynard is perfect for Tool. He's got chops and his tone fits perfectly for the type of music they produce.

Agree. Especially when he can go offstage or gimp walk in the background while Justin does his circle dance groove, and Adam and Danny just hit all the right notes. They are an absolute powerhouse band live.

From there ...

20. Vulnicura – Bjork
13. Art Angels - Grimes
2. Kid A – Radiohead

How is DAMN. not in the top 20?

I would add Frank Ocean Blonde, D'Angelo Voodoo and Outkast Stankonia somewhere in that list.

Reactions: PittPharm2002

We all have spotify and buy still buy vinyl. My kids are now buying vinyl now as well.

A trip to The Attic in Millville is a great family outing imo.

Here are my Kid's lists. They listened to over 1,500 hours of music last year.

The first list is their personal overall Top 25 -- with no Hip Hop / Rap included. The second list is just the Rap top 25. Otherwise, some of the Rap would have been in the overall Top 25 -- probably as many as the first 10.

Keep in mind that they only listed one artist per list -- just how they do things. For example, on the Rap list, Dark Twisted Fantasy is not include because College Dropout was.
  1. In Rainbows - Radiohead
  2. Turn on the Bright Lights - Interpol
  3. Melodrama - Lorde
  4. Is This It - The Strokes
  5. A Crow Looked at Me - Mount Eerie
  6. Ys - Joanna Newsom
  7. Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You - Big Thief
  8. The Glow, Pt. 2 - The Microphones
  9. To Be Kind - Swans
  10. Caligula - Lingua Ignota
  11. Bloom - Beach House
  12. Contra - Vampire Weekend
  13. Blackstar - David Bowie
  14. Carrie & Lowell - Sufjan Stevens
  15. Norman ****ing Rockwell! - Lana Del Rey
  16. Oil of Every Pearl’s Un - Insides - SOPHIE
  17. Give Up - The Postal Service
  18. Figure 8 - Elliott Smith
  19. Benji - Sun Kil Moon
  20. Antisocialites - Alvvays
  21. Drukqs - Aphex Twin
  22. The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
  23. Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
  24. Twin Fantasy - Car Seat Headrest
  25. E•MO•TION - Carly Rae Jepsen
Honorable Mentions - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit - Courtney Barnett, Lemonade - Beyoncé, Screen Violence - CHVRCHES, Nonagon Infinity - King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Future Nostalgia - Dua Lipa, Oracular Spectacular - MGMT, Be the Cowboy - Mitski, Channel ORANGE - Frank Ocean, No Shape - Perfume Genius, Third - Portishead, GUTS - Olivia Rodrigo, Strange Mercy - St. Vincent, The Origin of My Depression - Uboa, Elephant - The White Stripes, 10,000 gecs - 100 gecs

RAP List (which is a little less personal -- also includes importance)
  2. The College Dropput - Kanye West
  3. Madvilliany - Madvillian
  4. We Got It from Here.. Thank You 4 Your Service - A Tribe Called Quest
  5. Stankonia - Outkast
  6. The Blueprint - Jay-Z
  7. IGOR - Tyler, the Creator
  8. The Money Store - Death Grips
  9. GREY Area - Little Simz
  10. The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
  11. The Forever Story - J.I.D.
  12. Daytona - Pusha T
  13. Rodeo - Travis Scott
  14. Man on the Moon: The End of Days - Kid Cudi
  15. Atrocity Exhibition - Danny Brown
  16. Piñata - Freddie Gibbs
  17. Run the Jewels 3 - Run the Jewels
  18. Melt My Eyez See Your Future - Denzel Curry
  19. Some Rap Songs - Earl Sweatshirt
  20. Veteran - JPEGMAFIA
  21. Swimming - Mac Miller
  22. JEFFERY - Young Thug
  23. Visions of Bodies Being Burned - clipping.
  24. telefone - noname
  25. By the Time I Get to Phoenix - Injury Reserve

How is DAMN. not in the top 20?

I would add Frank Ocean Blonde, D'Angelo Voodoo and Outkast Stankonia somewhere in that list.

I should also add that my Kid would not support DAMN, nearly as much as even good kid, m.A.A.d city, and their opinion on Kendrick should hold much more weight than mine.

A little later, perhaps we'll do a thread of favorite/best singles of the millennium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT