ADVERTISEMENT

Your Top 5 Candidates for HC

Panther_in_Kentucky

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2001
With your reasons for their consideration + 3 Long Shots.

Dave Wannstedt:. Pitt man. Was screwed over by Steve and Nerdy, Good recruiter. He's 68 but could rebuild Pitt to turn it over when he's done.

Rich Rodriguez:. Not a Pitt guy but knows the area Big Time. Had WVU rolling and could do the same at Pitt.

Butch Jones:. Successful at Cincinnati. OK at Tennessee but Tennessee is a hard place to win in the SEC. Presently coaching at Alabama under Saban. He could win at Pitt in the ACC.

Curt Cignetti:. Presently HC at JMU. Took JMU to FCS National Championship game last year. 14-2 record at JMU. Also had success at IUP. Previously an assistant at Pitt. Coached under Nick Saban at Alabama. Smart. Could recruit and win at Pitt.

Matt Canada:. Brilliant Offensive Mind. Ready for a HC position. Commitment an issue.

Long shots:
Louis Riddick. Loves Pitt. Played the game at the highest level. Pitt would benefit from a smart black coach in recruiting. Maybe bring him in under Wanny for a few years and then turn the program over to him.

Charlie Partridge:. Great Coach. The only bright spot on the team. Best recruiter. Could be successful. 100 x smarter than Narduzzi. Maybe Pitt's Dabo Sweeney?

Eric Kasperovich:. Great HS Coach ( Gus Mahlzan was a HS Coach ) . Played at Pitt. Could be a reach but won't be worse than Narduzzi.

Dave Wannstedt:. Pitt man. Was screwed over by Steve and Nerdy, Good recruiter. He's 68 but could rebuild Pitt to turn it over when he's done.

Rich Rodriguez:. Not a Pitt guy but knows the area Big Time. Had WVU rolling and could do the same at Pitt.

Butch Jones:. Successful at Cincinnati. OK at Tennessee but Tennessee is a hard place to win in the SEC. Presently coaching at Alabama under Saban. He could win at Pitt in the ACC.

Curt Cignetti:. Presently HC at JMU. Took JMU to FCS National Championship game last year. 14-2 record at JMU. Also had success at IUP. Previously an assistant at Pitt. Coached under Nick Saban at Alabama. Smart. Could recruit and win at Pitt.

Matt Canada:. Brilliant Offensive Mind. Ready for a HC position. Commitment an issue.

Long shots:
Louis Riddick. Loves Pitt. Played the game at the highest level. Pitt would benefit from a smart black coach in recruiting. Maybe bring him in under Wanny for a few years and then turn the program over to him.

Charlie Partridge:. Great Coach. The only bright spot on the team. Best recruiter. Could be successful. 100 x smarter than Narduzzi. Maybe Pitt's Dabo Sweeney?

Eric Kasperovich:. Great HS Coach ( Gus Mahlzan was a HS Coach ) . Played at Pitt. Could be a reach but won't be worse than Narduzzi.

That's one of the worst lists I have ever seen.

It's no surprise that you'd put together a list of eight guys, of which seven have no more of a chance of being the next head coach than Jock Sutherland does, and the eighth would be a long shot at best.

All of these guys would be WAY, I mean WAY better than Narduzzi. I want a coach with HC experience that has been successful at some point in his career. Most of my suggestions check those boxes.

I actually like Curt Cignetti. I also asked about Loius Riddick. I guess the rest of the guys would rather keep Duzz and go 6-6 every year

Reactions: columbus mike
I guess the rest of the guys would rather keep Duzz and go 6-6 every year

Right, because the only two choices are Narduzzi and 6-6 every year or the guys on this simpletons list.

But yeah, let's hire a guy who has literally never been a football coach at any level of the game. What could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: taintpunch
I mean, if I’m playing, I’d say:

1) Dan Lanning (Was at Pitt for a year, worth a call)
2) Tony Elliot
3) Brett Venables
4) Joe Moorehead
5) Joe Brady (Longshot sure but maybe he wants to get back into college game?)

2) Tony Elliot
3) Brett Venables
4) Joe Moorehead

I realize Moorehead is the outlier here as compared to relatively young assistants, but I’m willing to convince myself that Mississippi St was just an awful fit. Interested to see how he does at Oregon. I think he’d recruit well here, and an offensive coach.

Reactions: daminals76

Long shots:

Will you pony up the buyout?
I mean we all know how much of a cash surplus most college programs will have after this season.

By the way you are entitled to your own opinion, but out of your list at least for me there is only 1 guy who might and a big might be considered. Rich Rod.

2) Tony Elliot
3) Brett Venables
4) Joe Moorehead

I’m down for #4

If Joe Moorhead wasn’t from Pittsburgh, then you guys wouldn’t even mention him. Step outside the box for once.

Yea; that’s why I said I think he’s the outlier, and it’s a bit of a cop out for me to put him on the list, but I just don’t think we’re getting a P5 coach here, and it’s not crazy to hire someone with local ties (that’s not just at Pitt). I’m sure some people at Wisconsin probably said 6 years ago “if Chryst wasn’t from Wisconsin, he wouldn’t get a look with his record at Pitt”. It’s about fit, I think the fit here could work.

I would absolutely go the young assistant route, which is why I’d go Lanning/Elliot 1-2.

Maybe they’ll find someone better, or maybe he won’t be interested... but Curt Cignetti absolutely has to be reached out to. Saw what he did at IUP up close, he brought a very Alabama like approach from there to IUP with him. Not surprising at all the success he’s had early on at JMU.

Maybe they’ll find someone better, or maybe he won’t be interested... but Curt Cignetti absolutely has to be reached out to. Saw what he did at IUP up close, he brought a very Alabama like approach from there to IUP with him. Not surprising at all the success he’s had early on at JMU.
I’d be fine if they went in that direction. He’s won everywhere he has been. Certainly helps that he has learned from the best.

Reactions: Pittx9
He is 60 years old, has never been a HC at this level, and the people at WVU were probably thinking the same thing when they hired his dad.

They MUST hire a younger coach.

Reactions: CaPAPITT76 and BFo8

Long shots:

I would prefer Clemson's or Alabama's water boy

Reactions: Ski11585 and cpc247
Curt Cignetti would definitely be an interesting candidate for sure. Got to interview him while I was a student at IUP for a sports journalism guy. Was very nice.

Joe Moorhead is also interesting. Moorhead went 8-4 in year one and then 6-7 in year two but had a bunch of players suspended due to like cheating on a test or something like that. There's no question it wasn't a great fit at Miss St.

Alex Van Pelt has been group up. After watching the pro schemes that Whipple is running it just seems like it's too much for a college team/players to take in. Could be good because of his pro ties and experience.

Jamey Chadwell is definitely the hottest name on the market. He played at East Tennessee St so he's not someone who you'd have to worry about leaving for their alma mater.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Curt Cignetti would definitely be an interesting candidate for sure. Got to interview him while I was a student at IUP for a sports journalism guy. Was very nice.

Joe Moorhead is also interesting. Moorhead went 8-4 in year one and then 6-7 in year two but had a bunch of players suspended due to like cheating on a test or something like that. There's no question it wasn't a great fit at Miss St.

Alex Van Pelt has been group up. After watching the pro schemes that Whipple is running it just seems like it's too much for a college team/players to take in. Could be good because of his pro ties and experience.

Jamey Chadwell is definitely the hottest name on the market. He played at East Tennessee St so he's not someone who you'd have to worry about leaving for their alma mater.
Chadwell is the only intriguing name on that list.

I wouldn't say he's the only intriguing name on the list. I would say he's the MOST intriguing name on the list for sure. If I was ranking them in order of best to worst, I'd say:

1. Chadwell
2. Moorhead
3. Cignetti
4. Van Pelt

There are definitely a few G5 head coaches worth considering if they move on from Narduzzi. Chadwell, Charlotte’s Will Healy, and Louisiana’s Billy Napier to name a few. Maybe even Kent State’s Sean Lewis as well.

Reactions: VJJPUNISHER
There are definitely a few G5 head coaches worth considering if they move on from Narduzzi. Chadwell, Charlotte’s Will Healy, and Louisiana’s Billy Napier to name a few. Maybe even Kent State’s Sean Lewis as well.
Now we’re talking. I would have them on the radar.

I would hire a young coach, but if you want a head coach with experience that has done a good job then Bill Clark is a realistic option.

There is not one single solitary FCS coach that would not be interested in a P5 job. Absolutely zero.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Cmon man admit it, you’d be psyched for Locksley.

I apologize for bringing that up by the way, I know you were a big advocate of his and I was even more of a detractor.

Just frustrated with the state of the program and felt the need to lash out against something. There are certainly a hell of a lot of lousy coaches out there at every level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT