ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: Coaching trees - 17 years

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
Two coaches, one in the NFL the other in the NCAA, after 17 years have this to show for their coaching "tree". I realize the bizarre nature of this comparison; yet, Tomlin seems to be revered by almost anyone connected with the NFL you'd care to ask. As is Saban in the NCAA circles.

The biggest difference I see (after comparing their 17 year won-loss record and champi
onships won) between Saban and Tomlin is who in their coaching fraternity not only tutored and succeeded with Tomlin and/or Saban, but also went on to become a successful head coach. The list (and names) are staggering.

Mike Tomlin from the Steelers:

Nick Saban @ Alabama:

So is it the coach who should get the credit and/or fault, or the organization? I know that historically the Steelers like to promote from within. And in the past, Alabama found it clever and supportive to give former Crimson Tide guys the HC position. One organization found a 17 year reign that not only thrived, but also produced a plethora of good coaches who moved on and became great coaches/mentors

A lot of good names on Saban's coaching tree, though some of the names listed at the end are a stretch. I think to be a true branch off the tree a coach should establish their scheme or make a name for themselves while working under that coach.

Tomlin's coordinators have been bad lately. Fichtner didn't get another job. Canada won't get another job in the NFL. Austin probably won't be a DC for another team when he's eventually let go.

A "coaching tree" is not the purpose of hiring assistant coaches and coordinators. Also, college has always been more of a stepping stone in coaching ranks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT