ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey

I’m glad you said that about Bacot. I’ve had that discussion with people quite a bit recently. They made a big deal about him passing up Larry Miller this year in a game near the end of the season. Miller played three years and 40+ less games than Bacot.
Bacot does not have an NBA game and build. He's a below the rim big man who's small and slow by NBA standards.

Reactions: TreesHero
Yeah I agree. I think Clingan is actually the guy who can translate. Much more nimble and athletic than Edey.
This is true. I think Clingan can become an effective face-up scorer which he will have to be to make it in the NBA. Edey is a true old school back to the rim post man. But in head to head competition on the biggest stage at the NCAA level with the NCAA rule book Edey totally dominated him at both ends. It wasn't until Hurley started running his offense around and behind Edey instead of at him that UCONN pulled away. He can defend any one college post man as he did Clingan, but he can't defend 2 very talented guys on a spread out floor cutting behind him and to the weak side off screens. Nobody can. And as UCONN made obvouos, Edey's supporting cast of plowhorses couldn't hang with UCONN's thoroughbreds.

The modern NBA is essentially a different sport than college hoops. One that I don't care for in the slightest.

Reactions: USN_Panther
He cant make "real" NIL as an International. But he CAN make "pay for play" NIL through a booster collective. If the Arksansas chicken man wants to pay him $5 million through their collective, they can.
Edey was complaining about the US laws preventing him from making money, so this must have affected him pretty significantly.
I thought it was rich how he thinks he is so important that the US should change immigration laws and policies for him. He should just stay home and "play" (work) in his own country. We don't need no more foreigners.

Edey was complaining about the US laws preventing him from making money, so this must have affected him pretty significantly.
I thought it was rich how he thinks he is so important that the US should change immigration laws and policies for him. He should just stay home and "play" (work) in his own country. We don't need no more foreigners.
where is he from?

He could have made more with real NIL endorsements, but not much more. A college center isnt that marketable. He maybe could have made an extra 100K-200K which is nothing compared to what he made through his pay for play NIL through the Purdue boosters.

He could have made more with real NIL endorsements, but not much more. A college center isnt that marketable. He maybe could have made an extra 100K-200K which is nothing compared to what he made through his pay for play NIL through the Purdue boosters.
Again, you make unsubstantiated assumptions.

Again, you make unsubstantiated assumptions.

How much money do you think Edey would have made from "real" NIL? Nevermind, I know your answer. You have a cardinal rule to never take educated guesses in free message boards

I wouldn't be so sure about collectives running pay for play payments through a foreign agent to pay to a player "working" in the US via a foreign financial entity.
The IRS would see that as tax fraud, and the INS would see that as a visa violation. He is not entitled to work for pay on a student visa.
I'd love to see one of these NIL collectives try. The chicken people don't mind cheating at sports, but they probably wouldn't want to go to prison.

How much money do you think Edey would have made from "real" NIL? Nevermind, I know your answer. You have a cardinal rule to never take educated guesses in free message boards
That was not the point of my comment. But you needed to avoid that point by making stuff up.

You have no idea how much, if anything, Edey made through "pay for play NIL". None. Zero. Nada.

If Aaron Gray was able to stick in the NBA for years
So will Edey who is much better than he was .

Bacot will as well because he’s a very good rebounder and can make free throws . He’s a high motor energy guy. Every roster needs someone like that

I wouldn't be so sure about collectives running pay for play payments through a foreign agent to pay to a player "working" in the US via a foreign financial entity.
The IRS would see that as tax fraud, and the INS would see that as a visa violation. He is not entitled to work for pay on a student visa.
I'd love to see one of these NIL collectives try. The chicken people don't mind cheating at sports, but they probably wouldn't want to go to prison.

He can do "real" NIL while back home in Canada. As I said, pay him $1 million to run a kids camp, another $1 million to visit a hospital. Stuff like that. How did Fede get 6 figures?

But really, none of this is needed. Think of the Pitt NIL signees, what did any of them actually do besides filming a video or 2 for instagram? Its just pay for play. So the Purdue boosters can pay Edey a few million and call it passive income because they can put his image on a billboard or make a t shirt with his likeness. I promise you that Edey made a ton of money from the Purdue boosters this past year. There are ways to do it.

He can do "real" NIL while back home in Canada. As I said, pay him $1 million to run a kids camp, another $1 million to visit a hospital. Stuff like that. How did Fede get 6 figures?

But really, none of this is needed. Think of the Pitt NIL signees, what did any of them actually do besides filming a video or 2 for instagram? Its just pay for play. So the Purdue boosters can pay Edey a few million and call it passive income because they can put his image on a billboard or make a t shirt with his likeness. I promise you that Edey made a ton of money from the Purdue boosters this past year. There are ways to do it.
More pure speculation.

More pure speculation.

I think you dont understand what a message board here. Do you expect that there be no opinions or educated guesses and everything posted must be a 100% fact? It is extremely obvious to everyone
that international players make just as much money as US players do in their booster NIL deals. The difference is that US players can also make a little bit extra in real NIL while International players cannot. Why is this so impossible for you to comprehend. Do you really think Edey made $0 this past year?

Here is a video that the Purdue Collective made showing Edey doing "work" in Canada and what appears to be China. There are workarounds and I promise you Edey made a boatload of money through the Purdue collective.

Last edited:

Bacot will as well because he’s a very good rebounder and can make free throws . He’s a high motor energy guy. Every roster needs someone like that
The game has changed in the past 20 years. Although I agree Edey is better and he will probably stick around a few years. If Gray was drafted into today's NBA, I'm not sure he would last long at all.

That was back in the good old days when the NBA still resembled basketball.

NBA games are just glorified track meets now. The lead footed, back to the basket big guys who can't run the floor like a guard, jump through the roof and/or play facing the basket have no place in it. Nobody cares a bit about free throw shooting. It's probably at an all time low for NBA big men, they really aren't required to have any offensive skills at all.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski11585

NBA games are just glorified track meets now. The lead footed, back to the basket big guys who can't run the floor like a guard, jump through the roof and/or play facing the basket have no place in it. Nobody cares a bit about free throw shooting. It's probably at an all time low for NBA big men, they really aren't required to have any offensive skills at all.
Nicola Jokic would like to have a word with you. He is not athletic and barely jumps at all. What he can do is play basketball at an extremely high level.

Jokic doesn't have the explosive athleticism that helps you jump high but I think he has very good core strength and spectacular coordination for his size. Maybe our definition of "athletic" is too limited. I think you could say the same about a lot of guys who played many years generally avoiding injury exactly because they didn't jump a lot/land badly: Paul Pierce, Steve Nash, Boris Diaw, Andre Miller, Tim Duncan (of course he did have the one bad early injury) etc. Did you ever see people try to back down Pierce even later in his career? He was like a fire hydrant. But "old, slow, unathletic" etc.

Did you see where Tuesday night, the Celtics went an entire game without getting to the free throw line? And the Milwaukee Bucks, their opponent, only had 2 FTs. Crazy.

Today, big men who score in the post are also extremely versatile. They can pass, knock down 3s, and have really good footwork. They run the floor really well for their size. Jokic, Embiid, Porzingas. Incredible skill for their physical build.

Did you see where Tuesday night, the Celtics went an entire game without getting to the free throw line? And the Milwaukee Bucks, their opponent, only had 2 FTs. Crazy.

Today, big men who score in the post are also extremely versatile. They can pass, knock down 3s, and have really good footwork. They run the floor really well for their size. Jokic, Embiid, Porzingas. Incredible skill for their physical build.

Is anyone saying Edey will be a star? He's going to play 8-10 years in the NBA in some role, probably as a reserve.

Is anyone saying Edey will be a star? He's going to play 8-10 years in the NBA in some role, probably as a reserve.
There's no way he's playing that long in the NBA, he'll be playing overseas in four years, in a league that'll allow him to do what he did in college.

Nicola Jokic would like to have a word with you. He is not athletic and barely jumps at all. What he can do is play basketball at an extremely high level.
back to the basket big guys who can't run the floor like a guard, jump through the roof and/or play facing the basket

Comprende?

There's no way he's playing that long in the NBA, he'll be playing overseas in four years, in a league that'll allow him to do what he did in college.

He is 7'3 and has some skill. There is room for him on an NBA bench as long as he is healthy.

His skill doesn't translate to today's NBA, plus he's going to be a massive liability on defense for the few minutes he's on the court.
If you ignore rebounding and blocks as defense ,
Listen he will be a role player -with a long career if he is healthy .
But you guys are being silly
Blair played 7 years as a 6’6” center and he couldn’t even guard people in college away from the hoop

7’4” with good hands is still 7’4”

I think you dont understand what a message board here. Do you expect that there be no opinions or educated guesses and everything posted must be a 100% fact? It is extremely obvious to everyone
that international players make just as much money as US players do in their booster NIL deals. The difference is that US players can also make a little bit extra in real NIL while International players cannot. Why is this so impossible for you to comprehend. Do you really think Edey made $0 this past year?

Here is a video that the Purdue Collective made showing Edey doing "work" in Canada and what appears to be China. There are workarounds and I promise you Edey made a boatload of money through the Purdue collective.
Even a message board post requires some basis in reality if the poster wants to have any credibility.

Yet another example is your statement about China. What in that video led you to that nutty assumption?

No. Dudes could skate by with no skill whatsoever in the 80s and 90s. Now bigs need actual talent and skill at basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: NTOP and FireballZ
Even a message board post requires some basis in reality if the poster wants to have any credibility.

Yet another example is your statement about China. What in that video led you to that nutty assumption?

I thought the clip about the Chinese basketball camp may have been China but on 2nd look, its Canada. The point is the same, the dude made a boatload of money from the Purdue boosters by doing fake work in Canada. Are you really denying this?

I thought the clip about the Chinese basketball camp may have been China but on 2nd look, its Canada. The point is the same, the dude made a boatload of money from the Purdue boosters by doing fake work in Canada. Are you really denying this?
Typical. React based on assumptions.

I have no idea how much money he made. Neither do you. Edey himself said he has lost out a lot of money. Yet you want to disagree with the man himself.

I'm just tired of your narrative that you put forth here every day without a shred of evidence.

Typical. React based on assumptions.

I have no idea how much money he made. Neither do you. Edey himself said he has lost out a lot of money. Yet you want to disagree with the man himself.

I'm just tired of your narrative that you put forth here every day without a shred of evidence.

I said he did lose out on a lot of money. 100K-200K. I also said he made a boatload of money through the Purdue boosters. Do you disagree that he made a lot of money through the booster collective?

No. Dudes could skate by with no skill whatsoever in the 80s and 90s. Now bigs need actual talent and skill at basketball.
I couldn't disgaree more.

Every year for at least the past 10-15 years, A bunch of 7 foot guys who have no low post footwork/moves, can't dribble, shoot, pass or execute a simple reverse pivot drop step are drafted first round because they don't have to be able to do anything but run the floor, set screens, rebound, and alter shots at the rim. Steve Adams is an excellent example of that type of player. Robert Williams from Boston, Looney, Jarrett Allen, Jalen Duren. Those kind of guys ended up working at Enterprise car rental, or if they were fortunate, playing overseas when their college careers ended in the 80s and 90s. Now they're first round draft picks.

There simply is no more half court, outside in basketball played in the NBA. I'm not talking about the Jokic/Giannis types, those are incredibly skilled, rare, face-up big men with guard skills. They are more comparable to Kevin Durant--one of the first of their kind along with Dirk N--than Kevin McHale

Reactions: TD_6082
If you ignore rebounding and blocks as defense ,
Listen he will be a role player -with a long career if he is healthy .
But you guys are being silly
Blair played 7 years as a 6’6” center and he couldn’t even guard people in college away from the hoop

7’4” with good hands is still 7’4”
Blair was drafted in 2009 and by his Wizards years was playing 6 minutes a year. Currys first title was 2015 and the league even in the nine years since has shifted greatly in defensive strategy. Edey may get some spot minutes but he's cooked against any 5 out offense and will be abused on the pick and roll. You'd be forced to blitz every time which coaches hate to do.

I said he did lose out on a lot of money. 100K-200K. I also said he made a boatload of money through the Purdue boosters. Do you disagree that he made a lot of money through the booster collective?
I have no idea what "a lot of money" is. He made some amount greater than 0.

Blair was drafted in 2009 and by his Wizards years was playing 6 minutes a year. Currys first title was 2015 and the league even in the nine years since has shifted greatly in defensive strategy. Edey may get some spot minutes but he's cooked against any 5 out offense and will be abused on the pick and roll. You'd be forced to blitz every time which coaches hate to do.
And every offense in the NBA is 5-out, high ball screen pick and roll. Possessions last 12-15 seconds at most

Which is why it's essentially an unwatchable product IMO.

And every offense in the NBA is 5-out, high ball screen pick and roll. Possessions last 12-15 seconds at most

Which is why it's essentially an unwatchable product IMO.

Ski acts like its stupid to watch lesser talented college ball but to me its so much more entertaining. The fact that they arent as good makes it so because watching the NBA is like watching a video game. Its just too easy to score......because they're too good and no one puts in effort on defense.

Reactions: Pitt79
Ski acts like its stupid to watch lesser talented college ball but to me its so much more entertaining. The fact that they arent as good makes it so because watching the NBA is like watching a video game. Its just too easy to score......because they're too good and no one puts in effort on defense.
Or they do put effort into defense and it’s just really hard.

But hey, if you and @thebadby2 want to convince yourselves that untalented college kids trying real hard is more fun than good basketball, more power to you!

But hey, if you and @thebadby2 want to convince yourselves that untalented college kids trying real hard is more fun than good basketball, more power to you!
My wife likes white wine better than red wine. I like the opposite. Neither of us are "wrong".

Reactions: Ski11585

untalented college kids trying real hard

I guess you haven't been around many D1 athletes. For every 100 kids that play a high school sport, maybe 1-2 might end up as a D1 athlete. If you find that to be "untalented", I'd say you have some fairly unreasonable views on what constitutes talent.

Its hard to defend NBA players, yes. But the effort level on defense is also much lower than college guys play.

Let me make you a comparison although its not a good one. Lets say you love watching field goal kicking. NFL kickers are far far better than college kickers. But they are so automatic that its boring. College kickers are going to miss some gimmes and make some crazy long ones. There's more unpredictability. That's more interesting to me. If I was a big fan of FG kickers, I wouldn't tune into the NFL to see these great kickers nail a routine 45 yarder. I know they are going to make it. I want the unpredictability factor. D1 college basketball is the perfect blend of unpredictability but also a high enough talent level so it doesnt look like men's league ball.

According to this forbes article be can only do "normal NIL deals". Whether that means US-based collectives paying or not, I don't know. That said, it would be very easy for someone to set up a collective IN Canada to give him the "camps" money.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackma...-revenue-is-out-of-his-reach/?sh=37c269f646c3

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT