ADVERTISEMENT

“Corky” PITT stadium

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
That is what I am hearing as of this week. Anybody else hear the same thing? This has legs.

MV5BM2QwYjFmM2ItMmM1NS00NTAyLTkzNzQtNDdiMzg5ZjAwODdiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Reactions: AllegeneeGenacGenac
That is what I am hearing as of this week. Anybody else hear the same thing? This has legs.

Except Pitt had made certain to use the possible space for other things, so that they can say "there is no room".

I think it’s the city’s move if they want to get this done. Definitely some roads being changed in the area behind Cost field where it was explained to me.

Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers
I think it’s the city’s move if they want to get this done. Definitely some roads being changed in the area behind Cost field where it was explained to me.
Anndddd I am willing to bet the city isn't interested in the traffic nightmares this will create.

Just gotta squeeeeeeeze it in there…
Pitt%2BStadium%2B3.jpg

Pitt%2BStadium%2B2.jpg
That sorta looks like Franklin Field in Philly, at least the side with the second deck does. That stadium was built like 100 years ago, I think stadium design has evolved quite a bit since then -- it would have a very small upper concourse by modern standards, I see obstructed view seats, etc.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It actually makes sense. They are looking at the area behind Trees field. PITT has centralized and expanded parking in that area substantially in the past 3 years and it would centralize the sports complex. It could also be a staring contest with Heinz field to ensure their rent is not ridiculous for the next 20 years.

Man. What times. I’m not sure what is more exciting, this certain to happen new stadium or the first time I get to enter the new volleyball arena for a … match? game?

I don’t know if there are the actual concepts listed above because it’s not loading for me.

But a few thoughts. Oakland is landlocked, but as we have said, we don’t need a 70k seat stadium.

45k is fine. So less space, but a few requirements to be worth it;

1) Design to make it loud AF.
2) Feasible to get to.
3) Modern look and amenities that give it a wow factor.
4) Some kind of open view to the cathedral so you can tell it’s “on campus”.
5) Some shit to do around it (or open space to pregame). Has to feel like a party spot.

Those should be the guiding principles.

I got to believe you need the infrastructure with parking and road closures in and out before you consider this. If shuttles or high speed tram get you to downtown in 5 mins or something like that, then I would consider this a real possibility. But until you deal with the parking traffic issues, heinz and/or a downtown stadium is the best option for pitt.

I got to believe you need the infrastructure with parking and road closures in and out before you consider this. If shuttles or high speed tram get you to downtown in 5 mins or something like that, then I would consider this a real possibility. But until you deal with the parking traffic issues, heinz and/or a downtown stadium is the best option for pitt.

This is a big reason why Pitt should have kept the Pitt Stadium site and built the basketball arena at the original location. The city would have to work with Pitt on the traffic issues, but now they will cause all hell if Pitt tried to build a new stadium. Idiots at the helm for decades casued this.

Oh this definitely has legs. It's a freaking centipede. Totally more legit than the last 19,846 rumblings people have heard.

I'll state my token response: No thanks to a stadium in Oakland. It's difficult enough getting in and out of a basketball game there. Right now, I can leave about an hour before game time and make kickoff most weeks. Getting in and out of Oakland is an all-day affair. Most of my memories of Pitt Stadium when I was younger involve sitting in standstill traffic and walking up hills.

I will tell you how it was explained to me. PITT is landlocked currently. Slumlords rule south Oakland, North Oakland is Carnegie Mellon, no viable or affordable real estate in Oakland. The area PITT would like to expand and "gentrify" is the middle Hill District Area up to Centre Ave. There is reasonable amounts of non-developed land and PITT already owns part of the tract they would need. It could eventually open the area up to more student housing....which PITT needs desperately. There is no other option.

I hate overly playing into OCS posts, but I do have a question...

What is the fate of Trees Hall and The Fitzgerald Fieldhouse? I read that Wrestling was moving into the new building going up next to the Pete and S&D was going to a new building somewhere on O'Hara St.

It seems everyone is targeting the OC Lot as the new OC stadium location, but space is a huge concern. I'm wondering if they may just redevelop that entire area to make room for an OCS. That would include the Cost Center, The OC Lot, The Fitzgerald Fieldhouse, Trees Hall, Allequippa Street Parking Garage, and closing the section of Allequippa St between Sunderland Drive and Robinson. That's a nice chunk of land to develop everything you'd need for a stadium if it's up for grabs. Plenty of parking space too to go along with the existing Trees Field parking lot.

I hate overly playing into OCS posts, but I do have a question...

What is the fate of Trees Hall and The Fitzgerald Fieldhouse? I read that Wrestling was moving into the new building going up next to the Pete and S&D was going to a new building somewhere on O'Hara St.

It seems everyone is targeting the OC Lot as the new OC stadium location, but space is a huge concern. I'm wondering if they may just redevelop that entire area to make room for an OCS. That would include the Cost Center, The OC Lot, The Fitzgerald Fieldhouse, Trees Hall, Allequippa Street Parking Garage, and closing the section of Allequippa St between Sunderland Drive and Robinson. That's a nice chunk of land to develop everything you'd need for a stadium if it's up for grabs. Plenty of parking space too to go along with the existing Trees Field parking lot.
The pool in Trees Hall isn’t going anywhere. The building you’re talking about on O’Hara is the new student rec center, which will have a pool for student and faculty use, but it isn’t for athletics. It’ll basically just kick the students and faculty out of Trees Pool, and let athletics have it full time.

Reactions: Timmeh45
Corky Cost left money to the University contingent on using it to build an on campus stadium. The university already knew about this gift when the created the master plan a few years ago. Since then, they have built more parking and shifted construction to other areas leaving a space near Cost Field to develop.
Has this been confirmed by a legit source?

Rumblings of it has been mentioned from some posters that have legit sources on the paid board. I don’t pay attention to the free board that often but I don’t think it’s coincidental this continues to be a topic of conversation beyond the “we need an on campus stadium” musings we have grown accustomed to throughout the years.

We know that the original version of the Victory Heights plan was published in 2019, and envisioned the indoor track, the new arena, the new lacrosse field, and the performance complex to all be located on the space that’s currently the OC lot and the Cost Center.

Then, in 2020, the athletic department formally announced Victory Heights, which moved the arena and sports performance complex to the Pete lawn instead of the OC lot, and moved the indoor track down to the sports dome site where Trees Field used to be. The only thing left on the OC lot/Cost Center site was the new lacrosse field.

Then, in fall 2021, Pitt announced that women’s lacrosse would be playing at Highmark Stadium on the south side under a multi-year agreement, and a new locker room facility would be constructed over there for Pitt to use.

At some point after fall 2021, the proposal for a lacrosse field on the OC lot site disappeared from the Victory Heights plan, and Pitt doesn’t seem to have a plan to build it anymore.

That leaves…nothing…currently in the plan for the OC lot and the Cost Center. All of that space is open.

I will tell you how it was explained to me. PITT is landlocked currently. Slumlords rule south Oakland, North Oakland is Carnegie Mellon, no viable or affordable real estate in Oakland. The area PITT would like to expand and "gentrify" is the middle Hill District Area up to Centre Ave. There is reasonable amounts of non-developed land and PITT already owns part of the tract they would need. It could eventually open the area up to more student housing....which PITT needs desperately. There is no other option.
We need some peloton athletes to citizen arrest and imminent domain those housing options !

The Mayor doesn’t make the call -
The city council does .
Good luck with that
I know. Still beats having Peduto going to bat for you. That dude probably would propose to have a Joe Pa statue erected at Heinz field before he ever supported a new on campus stadium for pitt.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
We know that the original version of the Victory Heights plan was published in 2019, and envisioned the indoor track, the new arena, the new lacrosse field, and the performance complex to all be located on the space that’s currently the OC lot and the Cost Center.

Then, in 2020, the athletic department formally announced Victory Heights, which moved the arena and sports performance complex to the Pete lawn instead of the OC lot, and moved the indoor track down to the sports dome site where Trees Field used to be. The only thing left on the OC lot/Cost Center site was the new lacrosse field.

Then, in fall 2021, Pitt announced that women’s lacrosse would be playing at Highmark Stadium on the south side under a multi-year agreement, and a new locker room facility would be constructed over there for Pitt to use.

At some point after fall 2021, the proposal for a lacrosse field on the OC lot site disappeared from the Victory Heights plan, and Pitt doesn’t seem to have a plan to build it anymore.

That leaves…nothing…currently in the plan for the OC lot and the Cost Center. All of that space is open.
Corky didn't have the kind of money it would take to do this. The plans were changed because they were idiotic and if anything were going to happen in the future they needed that space.

Corky Cost left money to the University contingent on using it to build an on campus stadium. The university already knew about this gift when the created the master plan a few years ago. Since then, they have built more parking and shifted construction to other areas leaving a space near Cost Field to develop.
That’s what I figured. Don’t hold your breath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT