ADVERTISEMENT

“Corky” PITT stadium

We know that the original version of the Victory Heights plan was published in 2019, and envisioned the indoor track, the new arena, the new lacrosse field, and the performance complex to all be located on the space that’s currently the OC lot and the Cost Center.

Then, in 2020, the athletic department formally announced Victory Heights, which moved the arena and sports performance complex to the Pete lawn instead of the OC lot, and moved the indoor track down to the sports dome site where Trees Field used to be. The only thing left on the OC lot/Cost Center site was the new lacrosse field.

Then, in fall 2021, Pitt announced that women’s lacrosse would be playing at Highmark Stadium on the south side under a multi-year agreement, and a new locker room facility would be constructed over there for Pitt to use.

At some point after fall 2021, the proposal for a lacrosse field on the OC lot site disappeared from the Victory Heights plan, and Pitt doesn’t seem to have a plan to build it anymore.

That leaves…nothing…currently in the plan for the OC lot and the Cost Center. All of that space is open.
It’s a fact we’re exploring the OC for a stadium. That’s not really a secret.

It’s a fact we’re exploring the OC for a stadium. That’s not really a secret.
I figured something was up when the original campus master plan showed these plans for the OC Lot:
MASTER%20athletic.jpg

Which then became this:
PittFacility-1024x571.png

And now, as Jivecat mentioned, nothing is planned there. I guess all we do now is wait to see what the powers-that-be determine…

I figured something was up when the original campus master plan showed these plans for the OC Lot:
MASTER%20athletic.jpg

Which then became this:
PittFacility-1024x571.png

And now, as Jivecat mentioned, nothing is planned there. I guess all we do now is wait to see what the powers-that-be determine…
Not joking but could you take ms paint and show me where I should be looking for a new stadium on that 2nd drawing

Just gotta squeeeeeeeze it in there…
Pitt%2BStadium%2B3.jpg

Pitt%2BStadium%2B2.jpg
This is pretty much how Imagine the scope of a "space" saving stadium. I have said many time before though I would "sacrifice" the depth of the surrounding bowl with an FIU type bowl to fit some sort of track in ( FIU Football Stadium - Google Maps ) but place it Hot Metal Bridge - Google Maps to the right of UPMC Second ave parking. The hit to traffic a little less. Game Day able bodied students can stagger and cascade down Bates. You can still park in Oakland, able bodied walk down but offer Shuttles back up. Half the crowd can park across the river in the already built parking garages/parking and hotel spaces of the South Side Flats. Just walk across the HM Bridge and you have a Grandstand facing the river across at the pretty lights of South Side Flats and UPMC Sporting facilities. That land mass has to be similar in tight quarter spacing in mid center Oakland without all the peripheral damage and urban planning for disruptions for years.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The proposed lacrosse facility will have sweeping views of both the Cathedral to the south and the Pittsburgh skyline west

A lacrosse field is also 100 (110?) Yards long.

Not to say its a perfect fit for an OCS

But if ever a stadium can and will get built thats where its going.

Absolutely no coincidence whatsoever when planning this lacrosse facility

Just imagine how awesome it would with a stadium on the hill over looking a lit COL with fireworks after Pitt scores! That would be one of the coolest scenes in college football.

new-stadium-with-COL.png

I do have one question for those who are supposedly “in the know”. When we hear “Cost”, does that mean on the current OC Lot or behind it? There seems to be conflicting messages on here between what Jivecat is saying (gentrifying Middle Hill) and what Bwh is saying (leaving OC Lot empty for a reason).

How far is the "cork" walking distance to the other side of the Mon? That's got to be over a mile uphill. You would need a massive shuttle system

If I have the scaling correct using Cincy's stadium, them a new stadium should be able to fit into that space in some configuration. I'd imaging they would built it so that an open end could face the CoL.

new-stadium.png
Need to rotate that thing ... you have it facing the WQED goalpost-looking tower, not the Cathedral of Learning.

I do have one question for those who are supposedly “in the know”. When we hear “Cost”, does that mean on the current OC Lot or behind it? There seems to be conflicting messages on here between what Jivecat is saying (gentrifying Middle Hill) and what Bwh is saying (leaving OC Lot empty for a reason).
I was told that PITT needs to acquire some property behind Cost field towards Centre Ave for a stadium. I don't know if that is parking or it is needed for the stadium itself.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Is this where we go back to thread from a few years ago about the players zip-lining to the stadium from atop the Cath?

Now entering Pitt Stadium, starting DT Aaron Donald Jr..... I've got the moves, that really move them...

hbk-shawn-michaels.gif

Reactions: ratking17
I'll state my token response: No thanks to a stadium in Oakland. It's difficult enough getting in and out of a basketball game there.

I am a women's basketball season ticket holder. I don't go to all of the games, but one of the ones I went to this past season was the Notre Dame game. Because it was Notre Dame and because it was senior day they had one of their best crowds of the season. 2,829 according to the box score. I have a parking pass for the OC lot. I was at the red light at the corner of McKee and Forbes a little over an hour before tip time. That's essentially three blocks to the OC lot. I missed the opening minute or two of the game. It took almost an hour and 15 minutes to go those three blocks. For a game that there were 2,829 people at.

What's that going to look like when 40,000 people are coming into Oakland for a football game?

I am a women's basketball season ticket holder. I don't go to all of the games, but one of the ones I went to this past season was the Notre Dame game. Because it was Notre Dame and because it was senior day they had one of their best crowds of the season. 2,829 according to the box score. I have a parking pass for the OC lot. I was at the red light at the corner of McKee and Forbes a little over an hour before tip time. That's essentially three blocks to the OC lot. I missed the opening minute or two of the game. It took almost an hour and 15 minutes to go those three blocks. For a game that there were 2,829 people at.

What's that going to look like when 40,000 people are coming into Oakland for a football game?
You would need to shut down Oakland traffic. Maybe doable on a Saturday but imagine a Thursday night game

You would need to shut down Oakland traffic. Maybe doable on a Saturday but imagine a Thursday night game

Wasn't there a game against Miami on a Thursday night in the late 90s? I don't recall it being too much of a problem then.

Wasn't there a game against Miami on a Thursday night in the late 90s? I don't recall it being too much of a problem then.
I was a student then so walking to the stadium was a different experience. I never had the experience of having to drive to a game in Oakland.

But you are correct. Sept of 1997

I was a student then so walking to the stadium was a different experience. I never had the experience of having to drive to a game in Oakland.

But you are correct. Sept of 1997

I was a student then too, and I'm pretty sure I rode in with some friends from east of the city for this game, and there was no problem. I don't recall how long I was in Oakland afterwards. I'm sure there was a lot of traffic but I think it's genrally overstated. Oakland can handle a lot of people coming and going.

Thats just because there were too many people attending who had no idea what they were doing. It isn't that bad for Pitt men's basketball games.

40K+ came to games for many, many years prior to the move to the Northside. And there wasn't much parking in Oakland in those days either.

I'm going to say that if a new Pitt Stadium is built, there will be many new parking options built along with it. Yes, few will be surface options. But there will be parking. And there will be new driving patterns, traffic cops, timed lights, etc to help the flow of traffic in and out of Oakland.

Shuttles and other people moving plans will have to be a part of the plan as well.

There is a path forward. Just going to take some outside the box thinking and a willing fanbase.

Thats just because there were too many people attending who had no idea what they were doing. It isn't that bad for Pitt men's basketball games.

40K+ came to games for many, many years prior to the move to the Northside. And there wasn't much parking in Oakland in those days either.

I'm going to say that if a new Pitt Stadium is built, there will be many new parking options built along with it. Yes, few will be surface options. But there will be parking. And there will be new driving patterns, traffic cops, timed lights, etc to help the flow of traffic in and out of Oakland.

Shuttles and other people moving plans will have to be a part of the plan as well.

There is a path forward. Just going to take some outside the box thinking and a willing fanbase.
Pitt will be issuing the George Jetson "suitcase car" that doubles as a seat cushion to season ticket holders.

Parking solved!

jetsons-suitcase-car.gif

It might explain why I was told PITT needs to buy property up to Centre Ave. It would require another parking area and access to Heron Ave and and Bigelow Blvd. My guess is the stadium would be no bigger than 45k with plenty of box/club seats....but that is just my opinion.

I would not be surprised if the fraternity housing complex was moved. The fraternities have a "lease" agreement with the university that can be "revised". The entire complex only houses 150 students (max).

I go to most of the men's games. Breezed in and out to all of them including Syracuse but I think that was because I had to leave really late after youth basketball so I missed all the traffic. Still got there 5 min before tip. There was one game that took me 20 more minutes than usual.

I have said a million times that parking and traffic isnt a reason there isn't a stadium. Several hundred thousand people manage to make it to Oakland every weekday between 7AM and 9AM and manage to leave Oakland between 4PM and 6PM everyday. Oakland can handle 40K people coming to a football game 7 times per year. Nobody is going to die

Reactions: cbpitt2 and OH Pete
Hearing that the new stadium will be "open carry" and that there will be a "Hoopie Hunting Season" every other year in Oakland.

Reactions: ratking17
On Campus Stadium discussion season seems to have come a bit early this year, no?
Royal blue and Mustard yellow season soon to follow.
Love the changing of the seasons, predictable and somewhat comforting!
3san-juan-capistrano-record.jpg

I go to most of the men's games. Breezed in and out to all of them including Syracuse but I think that was because I had to leave really late after youth basketball so I missed all the traffic. Still got there 5 min before tip. There was one game that took me 20 more minutes than usual.

I have said a million times that parking and traffic isnt a reason there isn't a stadium. Several hundred thousand people manage to make it to Oakland every weekday between 7AM and 9AM and manage to leave Oakland between 4PM and 6PM everyday. Oakland can handle 40K people coming to a football game 7 times per year. Nobody is going to die

But how can I roll out and be back to Cranbery in less than 20 minutes???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT