ADVERTISEMENT

“We’ve got to make him better”

snaphook297

Freshman
Dec 19, 2020
Pittsburgh
Is duzz ready to open up the qb spot . By this point we all know slovis looks to be indecisive with the ball . Perhaps he never mentally recovered from the ass beating Tenn put on him . He sure looks like he has “ happy feet now .

slovis is bad but i dont think the timing is right. lets take the bye to get Izzy and Hammond going, we'll get some players healthy too..

With that said, i dont think it's crazy to start having that conversation and the leash should be pretty short. the good thing is we should have not only izzy but hammond and we can just run and run and run and maybe throw a few sideline patterns in there to keep them a tiny bit honest.

it's not like we are going to ask him to go out there and put the team on his shoulders and win a game for us..

the good thing is we should have not only izzy but hammond and we can just run and run and run and maybe throw a few sideline patterns in there to keep them a tiny bit honest.

it's not like we are going to ask him to go out there and put the team on his shoulders and win a game for us..
Sure some sideline patterns should be sprinkled in, but I'd like to see Pitt run, run, and run, and once the running game is clicking, play action and throw it deep down the field. Also, if we are running well, opposing LBs will get sucked in and Bartholomew should have some monster games.

The problem is, at some point we are going to have ask Slovis to go out there and win a game for us. Heck, we were kinda already in that situation against GT. Hopefully we can use the running game success to take some pressure off of Slovis and get him feeling more comfortable in there. We are going to need him (or at least need a QB -- whether it's Slovis or someone else).

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Sure some sideline patterns should be sprinkled in, but I'd like to see Pitt run, run, and run, and once the running game is clicking, play action and throw it deep the down field. Also, if we are running well, opposing LBs will get sucked in and Bartholomew should have some monster games.
yeah, that's the theory and i agree, if we have a back getting it 30 times a game, the play action should work. just not sure why it's not.

slovis is bad but i dont think the timing is right. lets take the bye to get Izzy and Hammond going, we'll get some players healthy too..

With that said, i dont think it's crazy to start having that conversation and the leash should be pretty short. the good thing is we should have not only izzy but hammond and we can just run and run and run and maybe throw a few sideline patterns in there to keep them a tiny bit honest.

Now there’s what we need, more sideline patterns, better yet, let’s make them short sideline patterns….thrown a few yards short of the sticks on 3rd down. Oops, thought we were talking about the Steelers…pre-Pickett.

Now there’s what we need, more sideline patterns, better yet, let’s make them short sideline patterns….thrown a few yards short of the sticks on 3rd down. Oops, thought we were talking about the Steelers…pre-Pickett.
well we need to have better Wrs and a QB that isnt stuck on "slow" but we dont so you have to do what you can do.

Watch the Tennessee first half and you will see a totally different quarterback. He might have been the best player on the field for us in the first half. If not for drops we are up big and maybe have enough of a lead to hang on. And he was getting drilled regularly.

I want that guy back because he was good enough for us to meet this seasons goals. Is that guy gone forever?

Is duzz ready to open up the qb spot . By this point we all know slovis looks to be indecisive with the ball . Perhaps he never mentally recovered from the ass beating Tenn put on him . He sure looks like he has “ happy feet now .
The only spot that needs to be opened up is the OC spot that frank cignetti currently holds. He is the one calling the plays, not Slovis. I truly believe that we haven't seen any where the Kedon Slovis that played at USC. cignetti's offense has allowed very few throws down the field, especially down the middle of the field. The run first mentality that cignetti brings is old school. If you want your focus to be on the run, fine. Use the passing game to open up the run.
I am attaching a 2020 video of Kedon Slovis playing for USC. For those who think he "is slow in his reads" or "he is holding onto the ball to long", the video will indicate otherwise.
For football fans in the City of Pittsburgh, I have to ask, is there something in the water here? The Pitt Panthers and Pittsburgh Steelers both have conservative play calling OC who have not put their teams in the best position to win.
Hopefully I can do this the right way, so here is the video....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmNEKXfGb2w

Reactions: gary2
I thought it was telling watching the locker room video after the game as the players were celebrating the win. Slovis was pretty much back at the edge of the group and looked like he didn't want to be there.

Pitt was tossing the ball all over the field against Tennessee and now struggles to throw anything over 7 yards. I really feel like Slovis' confidence is shattered. Can blame the OC if it makes you feel better but there were times on Saturday that I couldn't even tell who Slovis was throwing to. Receivers didn't seem to know, either.

Reactions: rmf05 and 4upmc
The only spot that needs to be opened up is the OC spot that frank cignetti currently holds. He is the one calling the plays, not Slovis. I truly believe that we haven't seen any where the Kedon Slovis that played at USC. cignetti's offense has allowed very few throws down the field, especially down the middle of the field. The run first mentality that cignetti brings is old school. If you want your focus to be on the run, fine. Use the passing game to open up the run.
I am attaching a 2020 video of Kedon Slovis playing for USC. For those who think he "is slow in his reads" or "he is holding onto the ball to long", the video will indicate otherwise.
For football fans in the City of Pittsburgh, I have to ask, is there something in the water here? The Pitt Panthers and Pittsburgh Steelers both have conservative play calling OC who have not put their teams in the best position to win.
Hopefully I can do this the right way, so here is the video....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmNEKXfGb2w
so we should ignore what we see on the field with him in a pitt uniform this year and just sit around and watch his USC highlight reels from 2020?

I thought it was telling watching the locker room video after the game as the players were celebrating the win. Slovis was pretty much back at the edge of the group and looked like he didn't want to be there.

Pitt was tossing the ball all over the field against Tennessee and now struggles to throw anything over 7 yards. I really feel like Slovis' confidence is shattered. Can blame the OC if it makes you feel better but there were times on Saturday that I couldn't even tell who Slovis was throwing to. Receivers didn't seem to know, either.
Saw the same thing with the locker room video, and agree his confidence is shattered. He was balling against Tenn now ranked #7. I’m not thrilled with the OC but he can’t force the kid to throw to wide open WR’s. What he can do is keep a short leash on him. If he keeps playing with this mental block, fear or whatever it is and doesn’t make the right throws then you have to bench him.

Saw the same thing with the locker room video, and agree his confidence is shattered. He was balling against Tenn now ranked #7. I’m not thrilled with the OC but he can’t force the kid to throw to wide open WR’s. What he can do is keep a short leash on him. If he keeps playing with this mental block, fear or whatever it is and doesn’t make the right throws then you have to bench him.
I can't really rag on an OC when your RB is out there breaking and NFL HOF'er's records. What I don't know is if Patti is healthy enough to come in, or not. Doubt there is another good option but teams are going to stack the box if Pitt can't threaten defense's with the pass.

I can't really rag on an OC when your RB is out there breaking and NFL HOF'er's records. What I don't know is if Patti is healthy enough to come in, or not. Doubt there is another good option but teams are going to stack the box if Pitt can't threaten defense's with the pass.

I'm pretty sure Pitt had one of the most, or perhaps the most, dominant performances in history against VT in 2018 (between two P5 teams). I forgot what the stat was that measure that: Yards per play, maybe?

But that didn't make Watson a good OC. You have to be able to throw the football to win. I'm sure it's some combination of the QB, WRs, OL, and OC. But, like someone said, I guess if Izzy just goes for 320 every week we'll be fine.

I felt that if Patti were healthy enough in the past two weeks, they have gone to him in at least one of those to try to get a spark. So, since these are the only tea leaves our coaches spare us trying to guess who is available and who isn’t, I have to say Patti was too badly injured to count on. No idea of right now or future weeks, and precedent suggests we will be the last to know.

Reactions: pittdan77
No chance. Might happen eventually but absolutely not happening now.

If there was ever a time to think about making a change it would be now during the bye week. We don't have any room for error during the stretch run and whoever is under center needs to be the guy who gives us the best chance to win. If that's ultimately Slovis then so be it, but i think the coaches will be taking a really close look at things the next 2 weeks.

so the alternative is to play patti and wait til the second series when he is hurt again. no thanks on that.

i'd be ok going with Yarnell IF Slovis continues to play poorly after the L'ville game. that would be 2 ACC losses with miami, unc and now cuse still to go so at that point, there may be not much to lose and you are playing to see what you have for '23 anyways..

I say it begrudgingly, but Slovis is still our best chance to win... and I don't think it's particularly close. I've seen enough of Patti to know what he can and can't do. And let's be honest: Yarnell handled himself well at WMU, but he wasn't asked to do a whole lot. There's going to be a learning curve there even if he is a solid P5 quarterback. I might find a way to work him in for a series here and there to find out, though.

Reactions: Skip74

Slovis is light years better than Patti and Yarnell. Let's be serious here. His biggest issue is that his WRs are never open, especially his first read and he has trouble getting through his progressions.

Reactions: Celtsfan and Skip74
If we ever play Yarnell again, and we should, it will be a sign that the staff is getting ready for next year. It looks like we'll be relying on the running game a lot going forward and not counting on much from the QB and WR's. The caveat is that Izzy won't be going for 320 yds. every game. A good game from him is 100+, occasionally getting over 200. And that won't win many games without the threat of a passing game.

Slovis, like Pickett, with the Steelers, is handicapped by an OC too willing to run on first and second down, resulting in third and 8. A QB deserves to passing chances to convert 1st downs.

Slovis, like Pickett with the Steelers, has been hurt because his teceivers have a number of drops.

Slovis, like Pickett with the Steelers, is hurt by the overall schemes, both offense and defense.

Is it certain he had a concussion (and only a concussion - some thought shoulder/collarbone)?

Slovis is light years better than Patti and Yarnell. Let's be serious here. His biggest issue is that his WRs are never open, especially his first read and he has trouble getting through his progressions.
His receivers were plenty open last week, and I don't think he was touched until the sack where he kneeled down later in the 2nd half. He's not light years better than anyone the last 2 games.

Reactions: 4upmc
Slovis, like Pickett, with the Steelers, is handicapped by an OC too willing to run on first and second down, resulting in third and 8. A QB deserves to passing chances to convert 1st downs.

Slovis, like Pickett with the Steelers, has been hurt because his teceivers have a number of drops.

Slovis, like Pickett with the Steelers, is hurt by the overall schemes, both offense and defense.
7 of the first 9 plays against GT were passes, and they threw the ball 45 times, plus the passing attempts that were sacks. He's been bad, and he deserves most of the blame for his poor play.

Reactions: FireballZ and 4upmc
7 of the first 9 plays against GT were passes, and they threw the ball 45 times, plus the passing attempts that were sacks. He's been bad, and he deserves most of the blame for his poor play.
So after nine ineffective passing plays in one game, that is it?

Stick a fork in him,he is done?

The kid can play. Better tailor the offense around him, you need to.

Does anyoner really think Izzy is going to run For 300 and 6 Tds in many remaining Games? That is not sustainable. It was a timely Fluke.

Last edited:
  • Haha
If we ever play Yarnell again, and we should, it will be a sign that the staff is getting ready for next year. It looks like we'll be relying on the running game a lot going forward and not counting on much from the QB and WR's. The caveat is that Izzy won't be going for 320 yds. every game. A good game from him is 100+, occasionally getting over 200. And that won't win many games without the threat of a passing game.
Slovis has another year of eligibility, doesn't he? This staff must be thinking he will be our QB next year, too.

So after nine ineffective passing plays in one game, that is it?

Stick a fork in him,he is done?

The kid can play. Better tailor the offense around him, you need to.

Does anyoner really think Izzy is going to run For 300 and 6 Tds in many remaining Games? That is not sustainable. It was a timely Fluke.
You're complaining that they don't let him throw. I pointed out 7 of the first 9 plays against GT were passes and they threw it 45+ times.

He was awful vs Virginia Tech. I don't believe it's too much to ask of a QB to find guys who are running open when you have no pressure. Or run to an empty side of the field to get an easy first down.

You're complaining that they don't let him throw. I pointed out 7 of the first 9 plays against GT were passes and they threw it 45+ times.

He was awful vs Virginia Tech. I don't believe it's too much to ask of a QB to find guys who are running open when you have no pressure. Or run to an empty side of the field to get an easy first down.
With a big lead he was (in my mind with the score and time) reluctant to throw a deep pass that might bounce off our receivers hands as frequently happens (Bradley and Means) and give ball and time away.

Both of those longh holds were late in the game. Weren't they Back to back?

He could have run for the first on his long pass from out of the pocket that fell incomplete. i was there up high. I thought the play would be a TD. The receiver was open early. The ball died a bit in the wind. The receiver could have given more of angle to throw to by moving a bit towards the middle of the field. That would have increased chances for success.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I think a lot of people here do indeed think this, sadly.

Yes I know Izzy has some long TD runs this year; why should I care how the big plays happen? I don’t. I’m happy to cheer an 80 yard Izzy run time and again, if it were to repeat itself each week. I’d be fine never passing again if the team can guarantee 45 points a game. But I’m going out on a limb and proclaim it won’t happen like that every week, maybe not at all again in any upcoming week, now that everyone in the ACC is aware to that Izzy is our sole player to key on.

It reminds of the short lived V’Lique Carter phenomenon. It wasn’t sustainable. Izzy is a more legitimate player than Carter but it’s a similar case. Hopefully the coaches know this, and will use the off week to devise a plan to leverage the threat of Izzy for clever play action or other similar plays, perhaps, gasp, jet sweeps (like Carter’s) that will open up. Then after a couple of those plays pop, the D relaxes on Izzy and he can make some more hay. Please, please, please Duz and Cig, don’t fall into the trap that you think this is sustainable.

I'm pretty sure Pitt had one of the most, or perhaps the most, dominant performances in history against VT in 2018 (between two P5 teams). I forgot what the stat was that measure that: Yards per play, maybe?

But that didn't make Watson a good OC. You have to be able to throw the football to win. I'm sure it's some combination of the QB, WRs, OL, and OC. But, like someone said, I guess if Izzy just goes for 320 every week we'll be fine.
Izzy's performance doesn't make Cignetti a good OC. I just find it difficult to complain about him when Pitt's QB can't throw catchable balls.

Reactions: 4upmc and H2P-2007

I’m certainly not high on either of those 2 OCs.

But the receivers, com’n man, I don’t know how many times I’ve read on here from a variety of different posters that the Steelers had/have a decent if not top end group of receivers. And before this season started, how Pitt was going to be fine without Addison.

At least Pickett has decent receiving options. Although on the other hand, Slovis has a much better rushing attack to help him.

I’m certainly not high on either of those 2 OCs.

But the receivers, com’n man, I don’t know how many times I’ve read on here from a variety of different posters that the Steelers had/have a decent if not top end group of receivers. And before this season started, how Pitt was going to be fine without Addison.
The Steelers do have a decent group of WRs. Nor top end, but decent. Pitt does not. The preseason hype was not warranted- these guys are bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT