ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Lamont Wade 5*

FWIW, the only schools out there that require more than the minimum GPA and SAT score to get into are Duke, Stanford, Vandy, and NW and even those schools have greatly reduced their requirements for football players. As long as you meet the minimum, you'll have no problem getting into Michigan, UVa, Berkeley, etc for football. The idea that Michigan didnt offer Baldwin because of grades is ridiculous. Nobody cares about grades anymore. If he was a partial or non-qualifer, that's different but he wasnt.

This is an incredibly simplistic view of admission standards for athletes by university. Sure you can cite individual examples of athletes meeting the minimum standards at pretty much ANY D1 P5 institution, I can assure you that it is far more complex than what you are laying out. Grades DO matter at many places and are assuredly a part of the recruiting process at Michigan. There are all kinds of factors in play that you are dismissing, but it is entirely possible for a school like Michigan (or Pitt, for that matter) to back off a athlete because of grades, when that student may have grades that are similar to another athlete that is accepted in another year, another sport, another individual situation. I'm not saying this is the case with Baldwin, I have no idea what the situation was, but it is entirely possible.that academics were an issue in his recruitment.

FWIW, the only schools out there that require more than the minimum GPA and SAT score to get into are Duke, Stanford, Vandy, and NW and even those schools have greatly reduced their requirements for football players. As long as you meet the minimum, you'll have no problem getting into Michigan, UVa, Berkeley, etc for football. The idea that Michigan didnt offer Baldwin because of grades is ridiculous. Nobody cares about grades anymore. If he was a partial or non-qualifer, that's different but he wasnt.
I didn't say they wouldn't have taken him if he committed and got eligible. However, he didn't commit when they originally gave him an offer and then he was continually not allowed to visit. He was moved down their board because his status as a qualifier was very much in question. Same happened with ND. It wasn't a secret 7 years ago.

I don't. I thought an offer meant a scholarship offer but now I'm finding out an offer can sometimes mean an offer but sometimes a recruit can't commit despite rivals saying he has an offer. Plz explain to me how it works Jrip because I no longer know what an offer is. BTW, when can we expect your annual list of undergrad pitt players that need to move onto their "life's work."
No problem, Pghfan. These sites require very little in regards to confirmation of an "offer" so essentially all the kid needs to do is say he has been offered and have some backup for that in his recruiting process. Many, many kids are "offered" for spot commitments. However, for a variety of reasons, many of those kids do not commit when they are offered. Because of that, many, many kids later find out they no longer actually can commit to that school because the school has other commitments or priorities.

It is a very simple concept to understand and happens at every school and with every level of recruit. And you know it very well, Pghfan, but I am happy to lay it out so other folks can understand it. You have been around a long time.

Didn't realize I was trying to one up you in the retorts, but judging from your posts the "nuh uh" one may go right over your head...
Haha,guy with 4 post trying to be an Internet tough guy. It was a really poor 4th post man, gotta give the Italian guy that.
Well I like your post, keep up the good info

classy... just go back to your board.

I mean, you say academics may have played a role in Baldwin's recruitment, when Michigan offered Baldwin... of course intelligence and grades play a role to a degree. But the original point was it plays a smaller role when it comes to the 5 star guys. Anyways, you seem too immature to argue with.

classy... just go back to your board.

I mean, you say academics may have played a role in Baldwin's recruitment, when Michigan offered Baldwin... of course intelligence and grades play a role to a degree. But the original point was it plays a smaller role when it comes to the 5 star guys. Anyways, you seem too immature to argue with.
Me? This is my board. I was here far before you came around.

Baldwin had academic (I believe it was with getting a qualifying score) issues and it affected his recruitment. Everyone that followed it, knows that. You not wanting to accept it or just flat out not having a clue what you are talking about doesn't change that. Luckily he qualified and came to Pitt to have a very good career.

And someone brought up Shayne Hale. You should bring up that recruitment, offers, and his ultimate options. That should be hilarious to hear. "His Rivals/Scout/ESPN/Whichever works for my argument now profile says..."

Huh? no the dicemen person obviously, I dont think I even responded to you. And, I was on the locker room having a great time way back like 10 years ago??? So, you may have beat me and kudos on that, but who cares.

And... about Baldwin... I really dont know what you are arguing? I clearly have stated over and over that the issue is stars not grades. Like anything in life you weigh the pros and cons... with 5 star guys you take a chance on lower grades, with lower stars you dont. I just brought up Wade has 5 stars, and it would be great to land him, the rest of the thread was hijacked by grades, and how Conner and Baldwin were only offered by Pitt because no one else wanted them due to grades, and you wrote that Baldwin didnt have a UM offer... which I showed using this site that he did. Sorry that bum hurt you dude. I am not a Jonathan Baldwin fan, but he played well and was a first round pick even though he shoulda stayed in school.

Me? This is my board. I was here far before you came around.

Baldwin had academic (I believe it was with getting a qualifying score) issues and it affected his recruitment. Everyone that followed it, knows that. You not wanting to accept it or just flat out not having a clue what you are talking about doesn't change that. Luckily he qualified and came to Pitt to have a very good career.

And someone brought up Shayne Hale. You should bring up that recruitment, offers, and his ultimate options. That should be hilarious to hear. "His Rivals/Scout/ESPN/Whichever works for my argument now profile says..."

Huh? no the dicemen person obviously, I dont think I even responded to you. And, I was on the locker room having a great time way back like 10 years ago??? So, you may have beat me and kudos on that, but who cares.

And... about Baldwin... I really dont know what you are arguing? I clearly have stated over and over that the issue is stars not grades. Like anything in life you weigh the pros and cons... with 5 star guys you take a chance on lower grades, with lower stars you dont. I just brought up Wade has 5 stars, and it would be great to land him, the rest of the thread was hijacked by grades, and how Conner and Baldwin were only offered by Pitt because no one else wanted them due to grades, and you wrote that Baldwin didnt have a UM offer... which I showed using this site that he did. Sorry that bum hurt you dude. I am not a Jonathan Baldwin fan, but he played well and was a first round pick even though he shoulda stayed in school.
Jonathan Baldwin did not have a commitable offer to Michigan. Not Notre Dame either. It doesn't matter what Rivals.com profile says. It was clear during his recruitment. He tried to schedule official visits to Ann Arbor and he was not allowed. Was that the only reason he came to Pitt? No way, but it certainly didn't hurt Pitt's chances. Pitt would have taken their time and had him prep as a commitment, if that is what he would have needed. Luckily he became eligible and was a very good player for Pitt.

I am not "bum hurt" by that. I am just relaying the truth. There is no need for revisionist history to make us feel better.

you have said this many times but curious on your source. Twitter? Connection in the neighborhood? His coach?

Not to criticize, but you are usually not one to "scoop" where recruits are headed.

Well... if you say so. He still looks like he loves Pitt to me. I would say Pitt/OSU. Hamlin likes OSU too, but it is funny on his twitter he put O$U

i can see hamlin coming to pitt. but we need a much bigger haul, hamlin is not enough by himself. wade will most likely not be coming our way. psu has a better shot than we do.

Well... if you say so. He still looks like he loves Pitt to me. I would say Pitt/OSU. Hamlin likes OSU too, but it is funny on his twitter he put O$U
i've heard the same thing. but he will be a national recruit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT