ADVERTISEMENT

Dior confirms SMF was right and Gabel kicked him out

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

"According to Johnson and his family, he was advised to take a plea deal by the athletic administration at the time for a misdemeanor to put this situation behind him and return to the court at Pitt. As promised, he made his debut on the Panthers' foreign tour in the summer of 2023, proving to be a future star in Pittsburgh with his debut across the pond. Upon returning, however, he found news that he was no longer allowed to be a student at Pitt after a change in campus administration. The new administrators found that his plea violated the school's code of conduct. Johnson met with the coaching staff at Pitt and they advised him that his best bets would be to play overseas or find a junior college and get back on the court as soon as possible."

Another W for the 🐐. Wished BballinsiderfromPepperdine was still here for this.

Guys, this was so easy. Its just common sense. They werent going to let him back in school and BACK ON THE TEAM AS A FULL MEMBER even traveling with the team while he awaited some year-long university disciplinary process. It was done. He was back. Then we got a new Title IX Coordinator in April and a new President a few months later.

I'm surprised Gabel wasnt at the Cal dinner putting a good word in for Thiero.

"According to Johnson and his family, he was advised to take a plea deal by the athletic administration at the time for a misdemeanor to put this situation behind him and return to the court at Pitt. As promised, he made his debut on the Panthers' foreign tour in the summer of 2023, proving to be a future star in Pittsburgh with his debut across the pond. Upon returning, however, he found news that he was no longer allowed to be a student at Pitt after a change in campus administration. The new administrators found that his plea violated the school's code of conduct. Johnson met with the coaching staff at Pitt and they advised him that his best bets would be to play overseas or find a junior college and get back on the court as soon as possible."

Guys, this was so easy. Its just common sense. They werent going to let him back in school and BACK ON THE TEAM AS A FULL MEMBER even traveling with the team while he awaited some year-long university disciplinary process. It was done. He was back. Then we got a new Title IX Coordinator in April and a new President a few months later.

"According to Johnson and his family . . ." They may be right, but they are hardly unbiased observers. By the way, I heard that she put out a contract on Cal at that dinner, but someone put the gun in the women's room by mistake.

Reactions: Las Panteras
"According to Johnson and his family . . ." They may be right, but they are hardly unbiased observers. By the way, I heard that she put out a contract on Cal at that dinner, but someone put the gun in the women's room by mistake.

The old administration let him back in school, in the dorms, on the team, traveling with the team, and we lost that kid to UGa because he didnt want to compete with Dior. It was done. He was back on the team. Now Dior is straight up saying this. He's not lying. The timeline of events absolutely leads to his status changing when new leadership took over. And now he is saying it.

You are a really a hoot.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
The old administration let him back in school, in the dorms, on the team, traveling with the team, and we lost that kid to UGa because he didnt want to compete with Dior. It was done. He was back on the team. Now Dior is straight up saying this. He's not lying. The timeline of events absolutely leads to his status changing when new leadership took over. And now he is saying it.
How many men do you know personally that have:

held a woman against her will at an apartment, slapping and punching her and pushing her face into a bed, making it difficult for her to breathe.

Reactions: JD1976

Funny, but I don't see Gabel's name in that article at all.

His appeal process was moving to the end when the team was overseas and the change in administration coincided with that. Also, the new Title IX administrator was in place before Gabel.

Funny, but I don't see Gabel's name in that article at all.

His appeal process was moving to the end when the team was overseas and the change in administration coincided with that. Also, the new Title IX administrator was in place before Gabel.

You are hopeless. Pitt did not admit Dior back in school and back on the team while some year-long appeal process that he was likely to lose played out. Do you know how ridiculous that is? I said all along that he was back as a full member and then the new admin kicked him off. Now Dior is saying exactly that. I guess he is lying though.

Spoiler alert -
His felony conviction got him expelled !

You are hopeless. Pitt did not admit Dior back in school and back on the team while some year-long appeal process that he was likely to lose played out. Do you know how ridiculous that is? I said all along that he was back as a full member and then the new admin kicked him off. Now Dior is saying exactly that. I guess he is lying though.
Nahhh....he's a terrific kid. He'd never lie about something that might protect his future.
I'm a bit miffed that Capel kept him around. And the process followed was explained here.
At least he's going to have a fine coach and role model who will take care of the young man.

SMF's first T-ball at bat... 👇 👇

• Haha
Reactions: bhoover and 303vND
Let's set the record straight - the kid that went to Georgia wasn't because he didn't want to compete with Dior - he just thought minutes would be limited.

You always stick with your narrative over the facts.

Uhhh, Johnson lies. Water is wet.

You always stick with your narrative over the facts.

Facts?

He was allowed back in school.

He was a full participant on the basketball team despite being suspended from gameplay. He was even traveling with the team.

Now he is saying that the new administration changed his status. Could he be lying? Sure, I guess but the timeline of events, which I have said all along certainly makes it seem like he is telling the truth. Even if Pitt allowed him back in school pending some year-long student code of conduct appeal process, they would not have let him back on the team and went into recruiting not attempting to replace him. They certainly wouldn't have taken such a "high risk" kid to Europe if they believed he was gone.

Guys, stuff like this happens. I'm sorry. I know you hate that I was right. But I was. We can debate whether or not Gabel should have done that or if Gallagher/Lyke should have but there's no debate that he would have still been here if Gallagher was.....well unless he got into trouble again.

Reactions: bhoover
Facts?

He was a full participant on the basketball team despite being suspended from gameplay. He was even traveling with the team.

Now he is saying that the new administration changed his status. Could he be lying? Sure, I guess but the timeline of events, which I have said all along certainly makes it seem like he is telling the truth. Even if Pitt allowed him back in school pending some year-long student code of conduct appeal process, they would not have let him back on the team and went into recruiting not attempting to replace him. They certainly wouldn't have taken such a "high risk" kid to Europe if they believed he was gone.

Guys, stuff like this happens. I'm sorry. I know you hate that I was right. But I was. We can debate whether or not Gabel should have done that or if Gallagher/Lyke should have but there's no debate that he would have still been here if Gallagher was.....well unless he got into trouble again.
Dior was definitely not traveling with the team at any point during the 2022-23 season. And it’s odd to refer to him as a full participant in the same sentence that you said he was suspended from game action. From the minute his charges were disposed of, it is clear that there was a solid amount of administrative discomfort with him being a playing member of the team - which is clearly the implication with him not being allowed to actually dress or play in games.

Dior was definitely not traveling with the team at any point during the 2022-23 season. And it’s odd to refer to him as a full participant in the same sentence that you said he was suspended from game action. From the minute his charges were disposed of, it is clear that there was a solid amount of administrative discomfort with him being a playing member of the team - which is clearly the implication with him not being allowed to actually dress or play in games.

I was in Dayton and Greensboro and he was absolutely there. In Dayton, he and Jeffress were out on the court during pregame warmups clapping it up.

He was a full member of the team serving a season-long suspension from gameplay.

I was in Dayton and Greensboro and he was absolutely there. In Dayton, he and Jeffress were out on the court during pregame warmups clapping it up.

He was a full member of the team serving a season-long suspension from gameplay.
Why wasn’t he on the bench for any of those games like Jeffress was?

Facts?

You are full of crap that you just make up.

Ok, just so we are clear, you believe that Dior Johnson lied in that article?
I have no idea. I know that he had motives to push the blame away from himself. I also know that Gabel wasn’t the only administration change her name was never mentioned.

Gabel claimed she had no input at the time. Do you believe that she lied?

I have no idea. I know that he had motives to push the blame away from himself. I also know that Gabel wasn’t the only administration change her name was never mentioned.

Gabel claimed she had no input at the time. Do you believe that she lied?

I didnt see any direct quote from Joan Gabel. Link the quote and I will tell you whether or not she is lying.

I didnt see any direct quote from Joan Gabel. Link the quote and I will tell you whether or not she is lying.

Let's see. Dior Johnson says something and Joan Gabel says something. Which one has a higher probability of being a lie? Hmmmm, between a dumb jock who couldn't stay in school anywhere and a respected university Chancellor. Man, this is a tough one. o_O

Reactions: JD1976
Let's see. Dior Johnson says something and Joan Gabel says something. Which one has a higher probability of being a lie? Hmmmm, between a dumb jock who couldn't stay in school anywhere and a respected university Chancellor. Man, this is a tough one. o_O

Here's the thing though. Joan Gabel didnt say anything. You really think she made a public comment about this?

He traveled to Spain with the team.

Why wasn’t he on the bench for any of those games like Jeffress was?

Ok, I went back and looked at the highlights from Dayton. You are correct in that he wasnt on the bench. However, I dont think he would have been allowed to be because he probably wasnt on the tournament roster. Miss St had 2 guys in uniforms (probably walk-ons) sitting in the 1st row of bleachers next to actual fans like it was Covid so Im guessing maybe they werent on the tournament roster either. That said, Dior didnt seem to be in the stands behind the bench either so my guess is that he sat with player families during the game. I remember he and Jeffress were out with the team during warm-ups. I remember because I was surprised he was there. I watched him specifically how he interacted with the team. As far as Greensboro, I didnt actually see him there but I wasn't looking either. So I shouldn't have said that part.

Reactions: singregardless
Why is there still any debate about this guy?

Recruiting him was a mistake and it’s a gift he never put on a Pitt jersey.
Yeah, my biggest complaint about the administration (and Capel for that matter) in this whole mess is that they didn't just conclusively expel him when he pleaded guilty to domestic assault. Looking back on this, that's what I find most irritating.

Yeah, my biggest complaint about the administration (and Capel for that matter) in this whole mess is that they didn't just conclusively expel him when he pleaded guilty to domestic assault. Looking back on this, that's what I find most irritating.

Yep. At the time, I said he should be kicked off and I am who totally hates "double punishment." Steal a laptop, we have laws to deal with that. That shoule be a 0 game suspension. But what Dior did was bad. It was a bad decision to keep him. And then it was another bad decision to kick him after he was re-admitted to school and the team. It was handled very poorly all the way around. And you wonder if Gabel didnt kick him off or if Capel kicked him off after the incident (and we got a good replacement like Noah Thomasson) if we make the NCAAT.

Yeah, my biggest complaint about the administration (and Capel for that matter) in this whole mess is that they didn't just conclusively expel him when he pleaded guilty to domestic assault. Looking back on this, that's what I find most irritating
Dior also had the backing of HL. The timing of throwing him off 3 days before the fall semester was just complete incompetence. He served his suspension and the girl was still with him. Unfortunately at Pitt there is still inner fighting between athletics and academics. Pitt is its own worst enemy.

Dior also had the backing of HL. The timing of throwing him off 3 days before the fall semester was just complete incompetence. He served his suspension and the girl was still with him. Unfortunately at Pitt there is still inner fighting between athletics and academics. Pitt is its own worst enemy.

With the B10 going fully professional, Joan probably tried to get the eff out of there as fast as she could and found a landing spot at a place that only tolerates athletics.

OK. I didn't fully remember correctly. But the PG stated it.

"From the moment his departure was made public, rumors on social media surfaced stating that Johnson’s dismissal came at the hands of the university’s new chancellor, Joan Gabel. However, the Post-Gazette’s examination of the University of Pittsburgh’s student code of conduct shows that Gabel had no connection with Johnson’s dismissal."

Johnson's dismissal explained

The article makes clear that it was an administration decision resulting from the Student Code of Conduct Policy. So Johnson was correct. But the Chancellor has no role in the process in the adjudication of student conduct. Your assumption that the "administration" was Gabel was incorrect, just as I've been saying all along. The process worked through the administration as it should and was decided by the University Review Board consisting of five faculty members elected by the University Senate, five graduate and professional students appointed by the Graduate and Professional Student Association, and five undergraduate students.

Reactions: Parkview57

"From the moment his departure was made public, rumors on social media surfaced stating that Johnson’s dismissal came at the hands of the university’s new chancellor, Joan Gabel. However, the Post-Gazette’s examination of the University of Pittsburgh’s student code of conduct shows that Gabel had no connection with Johnson’s dismissal."

The article makes clear that it was an administration decision resulting from the Student Code of Conduct Policy. So Johnson was correct. But the Chancellor has no role in the process in the adjudication of student conduct. Your assumption that the "administration" was Gabel was incorrect, just as I've been saying all along. The process worked through the administration as it should and was decided by the University Review Board consisting of five faculty members elected by the University Senate, five graduate and professional students appointed by the Graduate and Professional Student Association, and five undergraduate students.
"...and I will tell you whether or not she is lying."

What a sad "pretend know-it-all"...SMF is hopeless.

Thank you for confirming I was correct. There is no quote from Gabel. She took office and all of a sudden, the university realized that Gallagher and Lyke made a mistake interpreting the student code of conduct? Who do you think had the final call on Dior? Some random professor? Maybe a janitor or cafeteria worker?

This article was influential and when Gabel learned of this situation, she ousted him. And Dior says it. But he's lying I guess.

Thank you for confirming I was correct. There is no quote from Gabel. She took office and all of a sudden, the university realized that Gallagher and Lyke made a mistake interpreting the student code of conduct? Who do you think had the final call on Dior? Some random professor? Maybe a janitor or cafeteria worker?

This article was influential and when Gabel learned of this situation, she ousted him. And Dior says it. But he's lying I guess.

You continue to completely make things up even when the facts betray you. You have zero credibility.

I remember that article but I don’t think it proves the point you’re trying to make.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT