ADVERTISEMENT

Does Michigan State come calling for Narduzzi?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
Does Michigan State come calling for Narduzzi after this season? Pat runs a clean program and if they can pay $9.5 million a year for their head football coach, even if Narduzzi doesn't get that, he still will get a nice pay raise from what he's making at Pitt now. I think running a clean program is going to be a big factor in Michigan State's next head coaching choice.

I’ll preface this by saying I don’t think Coach Duzz is going anywhere, particularly Michigan State.

Apparently, Sparty reached out last time and Narduzzi’s response was essentially “what can you offer me that Pitt can’t?” For MSU, I think the equation has changed for a few reasons:

- Emerging split between B1G/SEC and everyone else
- Tucker’s extension showed they will seriously spend
- Big Ten has gone divisionless, allowing MSU to escape from B1G East Division

Again, I think Narduzzi will be the head coach here for the foreseeable future, but it’s a different situation now than it was before.

Would you if you were them?
I'd make the call and he'd certainly be on the candidates list. I'd want a coach that has experience rather than take a chance on a coordinator that's never been a head coach. Clean program - check. Head coaching experience - check. Won a conference title - check. Ties to the program - check. Four boxes checked off already.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I said this in the other thread and will say it again, Michigan State football and basketball are bankrolled by a few billionaires, they call the shots and will want to make a splash with who they hire, the Duzz doesn't fit that bill.

I said this in the other thread and will say it again, Michigan State football and basketball are bankrolled by a few billionaires, they call the shots and will want to make a splash with who they hire, the Duzz doesn't fit that bill.
Good luck with that.

Does Michigan State come calling for Narduzzi after this season? Pat runs a clean program and if they can pay $9.5 million a year for their head football coach, even if Narduzzi doesn't get that, he still will get a nice pay raise from what he's making at Pitt now. I think running a clean program is going to be a big factor in Michigan State's next head coaching choice.
I'm sure they will gage his interest.

If Mark Dantonio is involved in the process, Duzz probably politely declines behind the scenes. If Dontonio isn't, Duzz probably takes the opportunity to preemptively trash Sparty and take a few digs publicly. Or something like that.

“I’m coming”
deion-sanders-042223.jpg

He'd probably be a good hire for them, but he's not a splash hire so people would be pissed. No different from how Pitt basketball fans felt when it was leaked that Mark Schmidt was on the shortlist. Everyone wants Deion Sanders these days, because they think they can magically start out-recruiting Alabama as opposed to building a program from the ground up.

You mean line Mel Tucker? C'mon...

MSU is trying to be the SEC north. Dirty ass program. If they want a splashy hire, they will look elsewhere. Luckily for us I think, because Narduzzi (especially if he could take advantage of their big NIL money to recruit elite defensive backs) would be an excellent hire to restore some integrity up there.

Only if choices A-F reject them, and some panic sets in. But they do have time. It's not the end of the season where they have to hurry up and decide, so they will probably land someone younger and with promise.

No. They probably think they can do better. Whether they can or can't is debatable.

I'd make the call and he'd certainly be on the candidates list. I'd want a coach that has experience rather than take a chance on a coordinator that's never been a head coach. Clean program - check. Head coaching experience - check. Won a conference title - check. Ties to the program - check. Four boxes checked off already.
This also sounds like the Barry Alvarez checklist. How did hiring back his former intern work out for Barry? I don't recall ...

Out of curiosity, I looked at a few Michigan State blogs/websites about who should replace Tucker. All of them mentioned Narduzzi, but they also questioned whether he’s a “realistic option” (thought that was interesting)- whether it be due to liking where he’s at to Pitt making a play to keep him.

That goes to show the reputation that both he and the program have developed nationally, and I think that’s very good.

This also sounds like the Barry Alvarez checklist. How did hiring back his former intern work out for Barry? I don't recall ...
4 10 win seasons and 7 bowl wins since. Not a natty, but not awful considering the dude was like .500 here over three years. You take Duzz who has actually won something here and give him recruiting resources, and he probably can succeed too.

Pat's no dummy. He isn't jumping into that burning ship. The next guy in is just fodder, and Pat is old enough and wise enough to realize it.

Reactions: TD_6082
MSU has a lot of potential. Multiple billionaire boosters who give back to the program, security and stability as a member of the B1G, and now with divisions going away next year, they won’t have to face OSU, PSU, and UM annually.

That being said, this potential is why they could do A LOT better than a buffoon with no PR skills like Pat Narduzzi. If they do end up hiring him, they probably struck out with their top 5.

MSU has a lot of potential. Multiple billionaire boosters who give back to the program, security and stability as a member of the B1G, and now with divisions going away next year, they won’t have to face OSU, PSU, and UM annually.

That being said, this potential is why they could do A LOT better than a buffoon with no PR skills like Pat Narduzzi. If they do end up hiring him, they probably struck out with their top 5.
With all due respect, this is a bad take for several reasons:

• Sitting head coach with a P5 conference championship
• 2nd most wins in the ACC since taking becoming head coach, including a .500 record against Clemson and FSU
• Proven track record of sending players into the NFL, including multiple 1st round draft picks

Could he have more charisma? Sure, but Sparty could do a lot worse. If he coached any other team besides Pitt, would you make the same claim?

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

Thanks for your interest in Pitt football and Pat Narduzzi. You guys can't get enough.

I agree. Narduzzi sucks. They should go after Franklin.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Another thing I was considering regarding Narduzzi and Michigan State:

There is no Luke Fickell, Tom Herman, or another superstar up-and-coming coach at the G5 level to poach, or even in the ACC/Big 12/Pac-12 (unless you think they can get Coach Prime). For assistant coaches, Brian Hartline seems like the only name that would be a candidate to go from offensive coordinator straight to Big Ten head coach. I’m not even going contemplate them signing someone like Meyer.

All of this is to say that Narduzzi might be higher up their ranks than some might initially. It’s a ‘coach’s market’ at the moment when it comes to P5 head coaching opportunities.

Reactions: singregardless
Another thread compared letting Narduzzi get away to letting Dixon get away. I disagree. For one, Barnes waived most, if not all of the buyout for Dixon. That was stupid. If Pat leaves, we are getting a Brinks truck of buyout money to spend on a new coach. Dixon was also, at that time, a future HOF coach. He has since not lived up to that. Duzz is a good coach but hasnt reached the heights of Dixon. He did have the one Covid Kenny Championship but that's a one-off. There's a lot of guys who can go 7-5. You just hope you dont get a Chryst, who goes 6-6/5-7. Basically, you put feelers out and if you think you can upgrade, you take the buyout money and run. If you dont think you can upgrade, you do what it takes to keep him.

More than anything, Pitt needs an elite recruiting HC.

Another thread compared letting Narduzzi get away to letting Dixon get away. I disagree. For one, Barnes waived most, if not all of the buyout for Dixon. That was stupid. If Pat leaves, we are getting a Brinks truck of buyout money to spend on a new coach. Dixon was also, at that time, a future HOF coach. He has since not lived up to that. Duzz is a good coach but hasnt reached the heights of Dixon. He did have the one Covid Kenny Championship but that's a one-off. There's a lot of guys who can go 7-5. You just hope you dont get a Chryst, who goes 6-6/5-7. Basically, you put feelers out and if you think you can upgrade, you take the buyout money and run. If you dont think you can upgrade, you do what it takes to keep him.

What recruits effectively? A coach players like playing for (we have one), location (can't change that), playing time (ok), and NIL money. We need more of the later. Until then, Narduzzi does a good job getting 3 star guys who hit the NFL higher than average. You want more 4 star talent without a 4 star budget or attendance? Unlikely.

I believe you’re referring to my post. I get what you’re saying, and I said it wasn’t an apples-to-apples comparison. The point is that the grass isn’t greener on the side, and finding someone who’s better than the best head coach we’ve had in 40 years is no sure thing.

But, let’s say Narduzzi left for MSU and we hired someone like Brian Hartline, who by all accounts is one of the best recruiters in the country. Even then, my concern is whether we’d be able to attract ‘elite’ recruiting classes moving forward because 1) our NIL initiative relative to the rest of the country and 2) the growing disparity between the B1G/SEC and everyone else. Even if we did bring in those types of classes, could retain them? I’m honestly not sure.

Hartline's one of the best recruiters in the country because he's selling OSU, all of their past WR success, and he has NIL on top of that. Take away all of those enormous advantages, and you can never be sure what you'd be getting.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Harline's one of the best recruiters in the country because he's selling OSU, all of their past WR success, and he has NIL on top of that. Take away all of those enormous advantages, and you can never be sure what you'd be getting.
I tend to agree. In this hypothetical where Narduzzi leaves, I think we need to go after an established head coach. Someone who has won at multiple locations, particularly in places that might not have as many advantages as others.

I'm not sure PN would take that job. MSU is a tough place to win. They are always going to be second fiddle in Michigan, and won't be able to recruit as well. But, the expectation is that they will be better than Michigan. Kind of an informative spot unless Michigan and several other BIG teams are having down periods, which they are not.

Duzz would be an elite recruiter if he had NIL money. There is so much negative recruiting against PITT regarding NIL and lack of stability in the ACC. He has shown he can win, but future recruits want money and a chance to show their talent nationally.
Was he before NIL or the instability? Nope

Was he before NIL or the instability? Nope
NIL is just a legal way to pay players as far as the NCAA is concerned. But money and extra benefits have always been a major part of recruiting.

Was Johnny Majors an elite recruiter at Pitt in 1973? Yes. Was he at Tennessee? Yes. Was he at Pitt in 1993? 😂. What changed?

Same schools, regardless of coach, were getting the top players before NIL.

Another thing I was considering regarding Narduzzi and Michigan State:

There is no Luke Fickell, Tom Herman, or another superstar up-and-coming coach at the G5 level to poach, or even in the ACC/Big 12/Pac-12 (unless you think they can get Coach Prime). For assistant coaches, Brian Hartline seems like the only name that would be a candidate to go from offensive coordinator straight to Big Ten head coach. I’m not even going contemplate them signing someone like Meyer.

All of this is to say that Narduzzi might be higher up their ranks than some might initially. It’s a ‘coach’s market’ at the moment when it comes to P5 head coaching opportunities.

Narduzzi isn’t really the type of hire that big time schools are making anymore.

Today upper tier schools want coaches with a proven track record of P5 elite star ranking recruiting, since ADs put so much stock in recruiting rankings, and training on how to be a CEO style coach under elite CEOs.

Essentially the Saban model: elite recruiting rankings and run every aspect of the program right down to how long it takes players to walk from class to the practice field.

So schools aren’t as interested in G5 coaches. They aren’t as interested in lower level P5 coaches.

They’d rather go out and hire a coordinator from Saban or Smart who has no experience, but whose all time recruits landed list on 247 is a bunch of studs.

Narduzzi doesn’t really fit that. He’s just a football guy. Loves the game, and just wants to be a coach. Like Campbell at Iowa State.

If they're serious about giving themselves a shot at getting back to winning 10-plus games a year and beating Michigan as they routinely did under Dantonio, then, no, they don't even entertain the thought of Duzz. .

But Dantonio has stepped in to help Harlan Barnett coach the team while Tucker is going through the process of losing his job, and Dantonio and Duzz are tight. Duzz does run a clean program, hasn't embarassed his employer, to his credit, and Dantonio still draws a lot of water at MSU, so.......who knows?

Hartline's one of the best recruiters in the country because he's selling OSU, all of their past WR success, and he has NIL on top of that. Take away all of those enormous advantages, and you can never be sure what you'd be getting.
Right--Jeff Capel was considered an elite recruiter--while he was at the top program in the country.

The sledding has been a little tougher for him at Pitt.

Right--Jeff Capel was considered an elite recruiter--while he was at the top program in the country.

The sledding has been a little tougher for him at Pitt.

Capel has recruited better "on paper" than Dixon and he was selling 0-18. He isnt as good of a coach as Dixon but he was bringing in higher rated recruits than Dixon was after the 1 seeds. Didnt make sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT