ADVERTISEMENT

Does Michigan State come calling for Narduzzi?

If they think they can "do better" than Narduzzi they are crazy. He's the perfect head coach for them (and most programs) and I think he would be threatening for conference titles every year. I hope they are dumb enough to think they can do better.

Reactions: TD_6082
It seems crazy anyone would want Narduzzi taken away or fired. Not that Pitt couldn’t do better. We certainly can, if we cared to. Heck anyone other than maybe 3 or 4 schools could “do better”. But the important words are “if we cared to”. We most certainly don’t care to.

Remember: it’s not just who you get rid of, it’s who you replace him with. We stink at the latter part of that. Why? We never care to do better than what we had.

Duz himself was a crap shoot. He was a fairly decently regarded coordinator who has never been a HC at our level. He was good enough for our brass anyway. It’s actually a surprise he worked out…usually that doesn’t.

Fortunately (and it is fortunate) we are in kind of a sweet spot with him. We can still afford the guy (albeit maybe barely) and he is good for us. He’d be upgrades for a lot of programs similar to us, but they wouldn’t be able to pay a whole lot more to make it with his while. But those who COULD afford to pay him a great deal more to tempt him to leave, seem to think very little of him to bother doing so (or frankly, he’d have been gone after 2021). So we seem safe in that regard.

Narduzzi isn’t really the type of hire that big time schools are making anymore.

Today upper tier schools want coaches with a proven track record of P5 elite star ranking recruiting, since ADs put so much stock in recruiting rankings, and training on how to be a CEO style coach under elite CEOs.

Essentially the Saban model: elite recruiting rankings and run every aspect of the program right down to how long it takes players to walk from class to the practice field.

So schools aren’t as interested in G5 coaches. They aren’t as interested in lower level P5 coaches.

They’d rather go out and hire a coordinator from Saban or Smart who has no experience, but whose all time recruits landed list on 247 is a bunch of studs.

Narduzzi doesn’t really fit that. He’s just a football guy. Loves the game, and just wants to be a coach. Like Campbell at Iowa State.
Do you consider Michigan State a big time football school? Just wondering. Back when I lived in Knoxville, one of the Tennessee beat writers & talk show hosts was a MSU grad. He was adamant that it wasn't, and that it was impossible to have any sustainable success in East Lansing. Dantonio had a really nice run there though. Beat writer was Mike Griffith. He's been covering Georgia for the last few years.

Simply plucking off the Saban/Smart tree is lazy hiring, imo. A few of those have turned out to be disasters. If you put enough money in the program, (NIL, etc) you should be able to find guys that can play. I'd rather have a solid coach with some experience.

If I were Michigan State, the first two calls I would make would be to Mike Elko & Lance Leipold.

Good comparison of Duzz and Campbell. I think I have read before that neither one have an agent.

Do you consider Michigan State a big time football school? Just wondering. Back when I lived in Knoxville, one of the Tennessee beat writers & talk show hosts was a MSU grad. He was adamant that it wasn't, and that it was impossible to have any sustainable success in East Lansing. Dantonio had a really nice run there though. Beat writer was Mike Griffith. He's been covering Georgia for the last few years.

Simply plucking off the Saban/Smart tree is lazy hiring, imo. A few of those have turned out to be disasters. If you put enough money in the program, (NIL, etc) you should be able to find guys that can play. I'd rather have a solid coach with some experience.

If I were Michigan State, the first two calls I would make would be to Mike Elko & Lance Leipold.

Good comparison of Duzz and Campbell. I think I have read before that neither one have an agent.
Good post. Agree with almost all of it, especially this:

I don't see the Dooz/Campbell comparison though.

Do you consider Michigan State a big time football school? Just wondering.

The type of money the Big Ten pays, almost every job is a big time job in regards to what coaches they can get. Look at how much Mel Tucker would have made if he just kept it in his pants, off of one good season.

In terms of a national title big time program? No, but I think MSU sees itself as potentially that. And are going to hire as of they are.

I’d have USC, Oregon, UM, PSU, and OSU all clear cut above MSU just due to their recruiting class ranking ceilings.

I’d put MSU with UW, UCLA, Nebraska, and maybe MD at the bottom end of that as the next tier.

There is no Luke Fickell, Tom Herman, or another superstar up-and-coming coach at the G5 level to poach, or even in the ACC/Big 12/Pac-12 (unless you think they can get Coach Prime). For assistant coaches, Brian Hartline seems like the only name that would be a candidate to go from offensive coordinator straight to Big Ten head coach.
This is rumor, but I have heard that the P5 aren't all that keen right now on hiring head coaches from G5 schools, and I heard that Colorado's offensive coordinator wants to a be a P5 head coach someday and that's why he left a G5 head coaching position for a P5 OC position. So it very well could be that MSU would be looking for either another P5 coach (Narduzzi perhaps), or a P5 coordinator.

I don't Pat going in that direction. No matter who follows, the recruiting class is likely to be gutted and the roster itself isn't good. They are fortunate that divisions will be gone next year, but it's still going to be a very hard rebuild. They are better off with a younger more energetic guy.

The type of money the Big Ten pays, almost every job is a big time job in regards to what coaches they can get. Look at how much Mel Tucker would have made if he just kept it in his pants, off of one good season.

In terms of a national title big time program? No, but I think MSU sees itself as potentially that. And are going to hire as of they are.

I’d have USC, Oregon, UM, PSU, and OSU all clear cut above MSU just due to their recruiting class ranking ceilings.

I’d put MSU with UW, UCLA, Nebraska, and maybe MD at the bottom end of that as the next tier.
I think that's fair.
I also think MSU fans can have reasonably high expectations because from 2010 to 2015 they won 11, 11, 7, 13, 11, and 12 games and finished top 10 in the country four times. They were briefly in a national title hunt. So they view a ceiling probably above where their typical season has been since then.

I’d love to see you try explaining to someone in 2003 that Michigan State, UCLA, Nebraska, and Maryland are all on the same tier for Big Ten coaching jobs… oh, and Rutgers is below them! :oops:

Narduzzi isn’t really the type of hire that big time schools are making anymore.

Today upper tier schools want coaches with a proven track record of P5 elite star ranking recruiting, since ADs put so much stock in recruiting rankings, and training on how to be a CEO style coach under elite CEOs.

Essentially the Saban model: elite recruiting rankings and run every aspect of the program right down to how long it takes players to walk from class to the practice field.

So schools aren’t as interested in G5 coaches. They aren’t as interested in lower level P5 coaches.

They’d rather go out and hire a coordinator from Saban or Smart who has no experience, but whose all time recruits landed list on 247 is a bunch of studs.

Narduzzi doesn’t really fit that. He’s just a football guy. Loves the game, and just wants to be a coach. Like Campbell at Iowa State.
That might all be true but Mel Tucker wasn't exactly the guy you're describing.

If they think they can "do better" than Narduzzi they are crazy. He's the perfect head coach for them (and most programs) and I think he would be threatening for conference titles every year. I hope they are dumb enough to think they can do better.
i dont believe pitt thinks they can do better but if MSU wants him, they can easily poach him. IF that happens, it doesnt matter if we think we can do better or not, we got to replace him regardless.

Lincoln Riley says hold my beer for a minute..

When was he considered some kind of killer on the trail?

At best, a journeyman who spent most of his career in the NFL.

He was under Saban for 4 years and had a reputation as being an elite recruiter.

Tucker is exactly the hire you make during the latest hiring trend.

Especially in a world where your options are limited due to the timing.

Tucker was at Bama for one season.
I think he’s counting the two years he spent under him at Michigan State (as a GA) and one at LSU.

Edit: Just want to clarify that I had to go to Wiki for this- I did not know his coaching history off the top of my head! :D

Last edited:
I think he’s counting the two years he spent under him at Michigan State (as a GA) and one at LSU.

Edit: Just want to clarify that I had to go to Wiki for this- I did not know his coaching history off the top of my head! :D
Okay. I guess. I somehow imagine that Michigan State didn't exactly have a big list to choose from when trying to get someone to jump ship in February but sure, I suppose they looked at GA credentials.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT