ADVERTISEMENT

If Pete Rose Isn't In....

Thanks...but I would be nothing without the immortal words one the late Joseph Vincent Paterno uttered under oath....Truth is almost always stranger than fiction isn't it fellas?

The New College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta, Georgia have decided not to promote much at all of Joseph Vincent Paterno in its displays.

I used to go to it a few times on my trips back and forth from Chicago, when it was in South Bend and they a big Joe Paterno Cut Out and Quotes, and much on Penn State and Pitt.

Yet, I just read that is not the case at Georgia that took over and built the New Hall of College Football Fame. Pitt I am told, is right up there with all the great Universities that built College Football and it was like that at Notre Dame too.

Yet, Joe's Legacy has been exiled to oblivion and this why Joe cried so hard upon his Program being revealed out of compliance with NCAA Rules on Sanctions, and other Laws not followed by Penn State, and I blame Graham Spanier for it, more than Joe Paterno. And I know others will disagree with me, and that is fine, I have no whine about that either.

All I do know is that the few minutes I spent with Joe Paterno on about 3 occasions were always a learning experience and I came away smarter from listening and hearing him, and I still admire his coaching.

Yet, I use to say, and post here, in Paterno's Defense, that Pitt Fans and any other College Football Fans would be just as happy about Paterno had he did for Pitt that he did for Penn State and that was a once a fact, in my opinion!

However, I do not say that anymore because the Paterno Legacy at Penn State did end with shame to Penn State's Name, and Paterno knew it when he admitted he was sorry for making that mistake and should have done more and that was admission he knew what he did not do, and it would forever stain his legacy....as it well should and did!

Now some Penn State CULTists think it will someday be revised, but that will only be at the "Valueless Moral Windmills Of Their Own Minds" that prefer to blame Trustees, Childrens, Lawyers, PSU Presidents, and only Sandusky but know in their Hearts what happen to Disadvantage Children at Penn State and if it had been their own Child, no one can be proud of that Paterno Legacy as much as it was before, and that is just the way it is, and will always be, outside of the Hypocrisy of Happy Valley!

Anyone that thinks what Paterno did for Penn State Football is what they hope would happen to their College Football Program knowing what happen, will never understand why Two Generations if not Three will never respect Paterno like they did before the Penn State Scandal!

I was just as wrong too, and I still admire Paterno as a Coach, but not as the man he claimed because when it came to stand up for Disadvantage Children, he chose cover up, instead of doing the right thing!

Those at Penn State that love remembering all his wins, just lack the values to know they came with stains that caused nightmares in children that are now adults, and that is nothing to be proud of in any fair, objective and moral view.......nothing!

The shame brought to Penn State name will never be forgotten and that will always be part of Paterno's Legacy!

Hall of Fame should be based on stats and playing performance. If you eliminate everybody that is an arrogant bastard or of questionable character, half the people n sports hall of fames would be out.
but they are not doing that....they are eliminating a guy who was aware of a simple rule that, when broken, would keep him from the HOF and he did it anyway....

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
The baseball hall of fame isn't exactly devoid of racists, drug addicts, or wife beaters but that's not a problem, right?

I can't remember if Rose was ever accused of manipulating a game for money but teams do it for draft picks in other leagues all the time.

I can't remember if Rose was ever accused of manipulating a game for money but teams do it for draft picks in other leagues all the time.

Great point, actually. Pittsburgh fans need look no further than Eddie Johnston, who cheerfully admitted the Penguins threw as many games as they could to get the rights to Mario Lemieux. The 69 Steelers also likely bent WAY over in the final part of that season so they could get the pick that ended up as Terry Bradshaw.

I've never been bothered much by Rose's gambling, especially if he placed bets ON his own team. If anything, fans should want MORE players or coaches to bet on their own teams ... it puts a personal stake in it and makes them work harder! Especially pros, who make such insane amounts of money and hop teams so frequently, it's dubious they have much interest in who wins. If a few thou of their recreational gambling money on the line makes them motivated to put their 110% into it ... as a consumer, it's a win for me.

Now, if there's proof he bet AGAINST his teams, it's not cool ... but not much worse than what Fast Eddie and the Rooneys/Chuck Noll orchestrated.

Last edited:
but they are not doing that....they are eliminating a guy who was aware of a simple rule that, when broken, would keep him from the HOF and he did it anyway....

For the record, that is simply not true. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, the HOF did not change the rule to exclude people on the ineligible list from HOF consideration until AFTER Rose was banned. Rose knew that betting on baseball would get him permanently removed from baseball, but the HOF and MLB are two completely separate entities. There is no reason why Rose couldn't be both banned from MLB and inducted in the HOF.

(not exactly su
The baseball hall of fame isn't exactly devoid of racists, drug addicts, or wife beaters but that's not a problem, right?

Racists, drug addicts and wife beaters should all be wards of the police....If beating a wife or saying the n-word where violations (not exactly sure how they would effect the fairness and integrity of a game and thus be a concern for the baseball folks, but I'll go with it), that where known ahead of time, that would have you banned from baseball for life and you did them anyways then, sure they would cause banishment.... Simple...If you ever bet on baseball, you will be banned for life....Pete Rose bet on baseball and is banned for life....Not sure why we need to equate it with other things since it seems like the most straightforward thing in the world.....

Think that state HOF will honor Sandusky?

He did have some of the greatest college defensive teams ever. Wonder how that would go over?

Hitler did make some great highways....LOL

If they did induct Sandusky, I wouldn't bother complaining, who's in a sports hall of fame is a low priority thing in the grand scheme of things

Great point, actually. Pittsburgh fans need look no further than Eddie Johnston, who cheerfully admitted the Penguins threw as many games as they could to get the rights to Mario Lemieux. The 69 Steelers also likely bent WAY over in the final part of that season so they could get the pick that ended up as Terry Bradshaw.

I've never been bothered much by Rose's gambling, especially if he placed bets ON his own team. If anything, fans should want MORE players or coaches to bet on their own teams ... it puts a personal stake in it and makes them work harder! Especially pros, who make such insane amounts of money and hop teams so frequently, it's dubious they have much interest in who wins. If a few thou of their recreational gambling money on the line makes them motivated to put their 110% into it ... as a consumer, it's a win for me.

Now, if there's proof he bet AGAINST his teams, it's not cool ... but not much worse than what Fast Eddie and the Rooneys/Chuck Noll orchestrated.

Difference between a team tanking and Pete Rose betting is
1. The entire franchise, and it fans, potentially benefit from the results, assuming that the high draft pick meets expectations.
This is in contrast to Pete Rose really being the only beneficiary.

2. The pro leagues are set up this way. Finishing #16 usually doesn't get you anywhere. Very few teams get to that upper echelon without spending some time in the bottom echelon.
The Steelers for the past 25 years are one of the few exceptions. Unless they can outright buy players, most teams follow what the Penguins and Blackhawks did.

BTW the issue with betting on your own team, at least as a manager, is rigging the lineup. i.e. resting your starters and/or ace pitcher for the game you aren't betting on, and then playing them all the next day when you are betting on your team.

I am pretty sure Pete Rose never referred to himself as “Benevolent Dictator”. Paturdo was the mayor, police chief and coach for a state university.

Could apply the same logic to Tom Brady but he'll be in football's HOF someday.
Yes, if ball deflation was an offense that was labeled with a lifetime banishment offense tag by the NFL then I guess what you said might actually be relevant here...but alas it is not....now if we are talking about Brady betting on football games then we may be able to make relevant parallels...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT