ADVERTISEMENT

Is Marion leaving???

The only assistant coach that would be irreplaceable is Partridge. I don't understand the complaints about social media. A lot of young coaches are active on social media. The players seem to love the guy. We should pay up to get a more proven OC but that's never really been the Pitt way, so we will get some average retread who will suck if the QB is bad, and look great if the QB is good, just like every other Pitt OC of the last 45 years.

The sky isn't falling. Good assistants come and go. It's the HC's job to make sure he has good people doing things the way he wants under him. That's his job and it's difficult to argue that he's done poorly. This is college football. Coaches bounce around. Always have.
Yep. It's only concerning when assistants are coming and going because they are failing, not succeeding. If they are being promoted or getting unmatchable pay raises elsewhere then you can live with that and it's likely a good sign.

When did Marion become a hotshot coordinator? He only has two stints as an OC at Howard and William and Mary. He runs a gimmick offense. We have a chance to return to the ACC championship and people want to give the reins to an inexperienced coordinator that will install a new offense that has not been shown to be effective in D1. Nuts
“Nuts”. You quoting the general from the battle of the bulge….lol. Love it

I too think it is a bit early for Marion to be OC at P5. I think he will be good in time. But him rushing into an OC job that isn't set up for immediate success will set him back. If he would sit tight another year or two he'll have his pick of OC positions. He could take one with the talent in place to succeed immediately.

I too think it is a bit early for Marion to be OC at P5. I think he will be good in time. But him rushing into an OC job that isn't set up for immediate success will set him back. If he would sit tight another year or two he'll have his pick of OC positions. He could take one with the talent in place to succeed immediately.
I agree. He shouldn't jump at any OC job just to take it. I know he wanted/wants this one, but Colorado stunk this season. I don't know what they have coming back, but Pitt has a bunch on offense. If he doesn't get the OC job here, then he should sit tight for another year or two, continue to improve the receivers, then look to get one, like you mentioned.

Reactions: yinzersteve433
Brandin Knight has been a major college basketball assistant for 13 years now. From 2008 to the present. He has recruited some really good players and worked with multiple strong basketball minds.

There is no comparison here unless you want to talk back about Brandin in like 2010 or so. Brandin Knight has a real resume at this point. Brennan Marion, not so much.

Brandin Knight has been a major college basketball assistant for 13 years, and he's still merely a middle-chair guy at a low level P6 program. His one and only qualification to get a head coaching gig in the ACC is that he is an alum of the school. No other ACC school would even give him a second thought if their head coaching job came open and he expressed an interest.

I think some of you might be reading into the social media a bit much. But, even if he were to leave, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. I could go either way with Marion as OC or Marion leaves. Plenty of OC’s to choose from if you pay them….Brady, Mullens. But Marion would come relatively cheap and the bowl game could be a nice audition. Plus he is local and one would assume he might stick around for a bit if successful. I think he could run a nice offense/has talent for gogo returning. I see nothing wrong with promoting from within. That said, I don’t think Salem is the guy that should be running the offense.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Brandin Knight has been a major college basketball assistant for 13 years, and he's still merely a middle-chair guy at a low level P6 program. His one and only qualification to get a head coaching gig in the ACC is that he is an alum of the school. No other ACC school would even give him a second thought if their head coaching job came open and he expressed an interest.
An alum of the school?

i think his number is retired. How many other “an alum of the school” hold that distinction?

Number retired: meaningless. If only he could have been something like associate head coach at maybe Howard for a year.

Last edited:
An alum of the school?

i think his number is retired. How many other “an alum of the school” hold that distinction?

Number retired: meaningless. If only he could have been something like associate head coach at maybe Howard for a year.

Three (four if you want to count Lorri Johnson).

Are you advocating for any of the other three (Johnson passed away, so it probably wouldn't be her) to be the head coach simply because their number has been retired? Why on earth would the fact that his number is retired have anything at all to do with his qualifications to be the head coach?

Duke just hired a new basketball coach. They have several former players who have had their numbers retired who are currently coaching, including at least a couple with P6 head coaching experience. And yet they didn't pick any of those guys to be their next head coach. Odd that they didn't think that picking someone who had their number retired there was all that important.

North Carolina just hired a new basketball coach. They have retired the numbers of 8 players (and they have some pretty strict requirements to retire a number). They also have another 45 former players with what they call "honored jersey numbers". And yet when they hired a new coach they didn't pick ANY of those 53 honored former players. Odd that they didn't think that something like that was important either.

Retired numbers ARE, in fact, meaningless as to whether or not someone is qualified to be the head basketball coach of a P6 school.

An alum of the school?

You got to the correct conclusion. Retired number = meaningless. If there were 2 candidates who are otherwise completely equal in theory (other than the other’s number being retired), that would have ZERO weight. Might as well flip a coin.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Mike Sanford is new Colorado OC.
His father appears to be thrilled for him

im-coming-fred-sanford.gif

Three (four if you want to count Lorri Johnson).

Are you advocating for any of the other three (Johnson passed away, so it probably wouldn't be her) to be the head coach simply because their number has been retired? Why on earth would the fact that his number is retired have anything at all to do with his qualifications to be the head coach?

Duke just hired a new basketball coach. They have several former players who have had their numbers retired who are currently coaching, including at least a couple with P6 head coaching experience. And yet they didn't pick any of those guys to be their next head coach. Odd that they didn't think that picking someone who had their number retired there was all that important.

North Carolina just hired a new basketball coach. They have retired the numbers of 8 players (and they have some pretty strict requirements to retire a number). They also have another 45 former players with what they call "honored jersey numbers". And yet when they hired a new coach they didn't pick ANY of those 53 honored former players. Odd that they didn't think that something like that was important either.

Retired numbers ARE, in fact, meaningless as to whether or not someone is qualified to be the head basketball coach of a P6 school.
Concentrate on the just an alum aspect. That was my focus. I found it unnecessarily Disrespectful.

If you had said his accomplishments were as a player, not a coach, I would not have commented.

Last edited:
Concentrate on the just an alum aspect. That was my focus. I found it unnecessarily Disrespectful.

If you had said his accomplishments were as a player, not a coach, I would not have commented.

You found it disrespectful that I pointed out the fact that an alum was an alum, and that the fact that he was an alum was the one and only reason why anyone would ever think he should be given the Pitt job?

That's really, ah, weird.

Would I be disrespecting myself if I also said that I was an alum and that I was also unqualified to be Pitt's head basketball coach?

It's like he's throwing a twitter tantrum over not being promoted to OC.

I can envision a discussion like that RB Salahuddin had with Duzz. Coach, I'm not happy with my role and thinking about transferring... Duzz: We'll get your transfer papers together.
Reminds me of a story Bill Walton likes to tell.

Bill reported to the first practice after being named as a 1st Team All-American the previous season. I don't remember if he reported with a beard or long hair, but whatever, he was violating one of Wooden's team rules.

When challenged, Bill told Wooden that it is his "right" to express himself freely.

Wooden replied, "Yes, Bill, you are right. And we are going to miss you!"

Bill said that he ran out the gym, jumped on his bicycle, pedaled to the barber shop and was back in the gym on time for the beginning of the first practice! 😁

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure he is taking credit for “ the fake slide”. Kenny try this you start to slide then go full throttle . Killer Kenny killer”

It's like he's throwing a twitter tantrum over not being promoted to OC.

I can envision a discussion like that RB Salahuddin had with Duzz. Coach, I'm not happy with my role and thinking about transferring... Duzz: We'll get your transfer papers together.
He sure is like many have mentioned. Acting like a teenager on Twitter. The guy inherited Addison thanks to Beatty and acts like he made him but forgets Addison was already a freshman all American. Plus the improvement of KP helped a ton as well.

He has jumped jobs every single year of his coaching career except one time he was at a job 2 years. I’ll say it again and again PN WAS THE ONLY COACH IN THE NATION TO GIVE HIM A P5 JOB! The guy started coaching at a JC 11 years ago…took him 11 years and a bunch of Twitter crap to finally reached the P5 level thanks to PN! If he is as great as he thinks he is why didn’t any other P5 coach hire him??? Now since he’s not getting the OC job he removes Pitt from his twitter and goes on another twitter rant. Don’t let the door hit ya in your Twitter self promoting azz on the way out.

Many of us have left jobs before but most of us handle it as professionals with class. This guy is very immature and needs to grow up.

Interesting Marion liked and commented to this Tweet

Immature and classless by him. PN has helped many coaches get promoted or moving on to better jobs. I’ll give a few examples. Beatty got an upgrade as NFL WR coach which is clearly better than college WR coach. Beatty left with class and thanked PN for everything he did for him. There is a reason that there are rumors of him being a candidate for the OC job. PN still speaks highly of him today.

Our last LB coach Harley got a DC position and was thankful to PN for his help.

Conklin got a head coaching job and said this would have never happened if not for the help of PN.

Canada (PN may not have liked how he left) but he had his best season ever and got a huge pay raise after working for PN. Plus PN did all he could to keep him offering a big raise but no way we can offer LSU $. PN actually let’s his guys coach and Canada found this out when he got to LSU.

There are other examples as well.

Should I do it again???? Yes I will lol…For the 100th time PN was the first and only P5 coach to give Marion a P5 job!

Anyone see Marion's IG stories today? I read he had some up about teams using his GOGO offense but then deleted them.

Anyone else amused by people complaining about one's use of social media from their use of social media?

• Haha
Reactions: caleco's
Do you really want a coach with no big time experience running a new style offense these kids have never run? That is a recipe for disaster next year
Right on. Seems like Marion is a "me" person, not a "we" person. Good "up and coming" position coaches are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: 4upmc and gary2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT