ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Warren - Yikes!

Now your reply is to compare him to arguably the two best in the history of the game.
Again - I don't think anyone thinks Justin Fields or Russ Wilson are 2 of the best QB's to ever play the game. That.is.the.comparison. We are not comparing Kenny to Manning or Brady.

We are saying the act of getting with your receivers whether on or off the field is an act of leadership.

We are saying when a QB gets with his receivers whether on/off the field he can absolutely help with route running, timing, leverage, coverage identification, leverage, etc.

Sorry if I missed this, but here's the video with Warren.

Looking at that, I think it is very reasonable to highlight everything after the first sentence.

There is too much smoke about things to not believe KP didn't handle things well as last season unfolded.

I think it is clear a lot of teammates lost confidence in him. But in these instances it would be better for every one if Warren gave KP a tip of the cap, "KP did the best he could under less than ideal circumstances" or "KP helped win some games" vs how how pantsed him w night and day.

It's piling on instead of moving on.

Reactions: pittmeister
I saw all of them. Kordell made the freaking pro bowl. He was nowhere near what I would call a great QB but Kenny isn't even one of the top 25 QB's in the league. He's thrown 13 TD's in 2 seasons. In Kordel's 1st season as a starter, he threw for 21 TDs and rushed for 11 in his 1st year as a season - 32 total TD's.

Kent Graham was terrible and he only started 5 games for the Steelers.

Mark Malone was really bad too but his TD% is still higher then KP.

Who was it said that "Kenny Pickett is a singles hitter but is batting cleanup because he's the QB?" I think it was Steve Young last year, not sure though.
Bubby threw 20TD passes in a season and won a playoff game.

I hope like hell that Kenny somehow becomes the starter for the Eagles this year, and that he takes them deep into the playoffs! I would also like to see him beat the snot out of the mighty Steelers when they meet!

Because this is the company line. Warren knows not to speak out of turn - look at just what happened to Najee.
What “happened”? He hasn’t been much more than a middling player. At the salary number a case could be made to keep him, but nothing “happened”. And It’s a position where the value has taken a nosedive.

It’s a knock on their drafting. They haven’t picked up the 5th year for anyone since Watt in 2017.

What “happened”? He hasn’t been much more than a middling player. At the salary number a case could be made to keep him, but nothing “happened”. And It’s a position where the value has taken a nosedive.

It’s a knock on their drafting. They haven’t picked up the 5th year for anyone since Watt in 2017.
You don’t think him coming out and taking shots at the lack of discipline and structure didn’t factor into that decision of declining his option? If you don’t you haven't been paying attention.

You don’t think him coming out and taking shots at the lack of discipline and structure didn’t factor into that decision of declining his option? If you don’t you haven't been paying attention.
No not really. What he said wasn’t all that bad and didn’t rise to the level you’re suggesting. Maybe we’ll find out differently eventually but I think it was nothing more than a business decision.

Again - I don't think anyone thinks Justin Fields or Russ Wilson are 2 of the best QB's to ever play the game. That.is.the.comparison. We are not comparing Kenny to Manning or Brady.

We are saying the act of getting with your receivers whether on or off the field is an act of leadership.

We are saying when a QB gets with his receivers whether on/off the field he can absolutely help with route running, timing, leverage, coverage identification, leverage, etc.
Hey at least Russ gets with his receivers. I guess.

Here is the interview. The Kenny and Wilson talk starts at the 9:30 mark.

Russell Wilson…Yikes!!!

Last edited:

Russell Wilson…Yikes!!!

lol. Based on that im not sure it’s a good thing he’s telling receivers how to run routes.

lol. Based on that im not sure it’s a good thing he’s telling receivers how to run routes.
I mean it’s not good. Kenny had two below average seasons with the worst OC in the history of the game. Russell Wilson had a bad year with Nathaniel Hackett, which he gets a mulligan for. But then he had a rough year with one of the great offensive minds in the NFL. Does that get a mulligan too? What do the haters think?

As Adidi said and I 100% agree…the bigger move for the Steelers wasn’t acquiring Wilson, agreeing to trade Kenny and then trading for Fields…it was bringing in Arthur Smith.

Bubby threw 20TD passes in a season and won a playoff game.

Kenny had two below average seasons with the worst OC in the history of the game.
Bubby Brister had more int.'s than TDs in 2 of his three years as the full time starter.
11-14 '88, 9-10 '89
Who would you rather have.... Bubby Brister at QB with Matt Canada as OC or
Kenny Picket at QB with Tom Moore as the OC?

Bubby Brister had more int.'s than TDs in 2 of his three years as the full time starter.
11-14 '88, 9-10 '89
Who would you rather have.... Bubby Brister at QB with Matt Canada as OC or
Kenny Picket at QB with Tom Moore as the OC?
Any time you insert Matt Canada as part of a question, it makes the decision easy. We are talking about someone who is regarded as perhaps the worst of all time. Not the worst in a 32 team league…but the worst anyone has ever seen.

Every discussion should begin and end with Matt Canada.

Russell Wilson…Yikes!!!

Aditi is very naive. I'll leave it at that. She's bringing up Jameis and Teddy as examples of Payton's prowess as a QB whisperer, when Russ in his "down year" produced better.
Russell Wilson had a bad year with Nathaniel Hackett, which he gets a mulligan for. But then he had a rough year with one of the great offensive minds in the NFL. Does that get a mulligan too? What do the haters think?
In his "rough year" he threw for 26 TDs and 8 ints.

Reactions: Burgh15
Sean Payton seems like a petty enough guy to leak BS like that. If his offense is so complicated that a ten year veteran can't comprehend the lingo that is probably not a good reflection on his coaching!

Wilson is not a good in structure QB. Hasn't ever been one. The path for him to succeed is not asking him to drop back 30 times a game like Denver did and Seattle did his last few years. You want him hitting shot plays off play action, not throwing short passes all day like he is Drew Brees. If he has anything left in his legs he will be a huge upgrade on Pickett. If not, Fields is starting by week 7.

Aditi is very naive. I'll leave it at that. She's bringing up Jameis and Teddy as examples of Payton's prowess as a QB whisperer, when Russ in his "down year" produced better.

In his "rough year" he threw for 26 TDs and 8 ints.
And his coach paid tens of millions to get him as far away from his locker room as possible. But remind me of your point in the OP again?? Yikes.

Sean Payton seems like a petty enough guy to leak BS like that. If his offense is so complicated that a ten year veteran can't comprehend the lingo that is probably not a good reflection on his coaching!

Wilson is not a good in structure QB. Hasn't ever been one. The path for him to succeed is not asking him to drop back 30 times a game like Denver did and Seattle did his last few years. You want him hitting shot plays off play action, not throwing short passes all day like he is Drew Brees. If he has anything left in his legs he will be a huge upgrade on Pickett. If not, Fields is starting by week 7.
Gotta love ynzer stiller fans. The rejects no other team wanted in a league where competent qbs are at a premium will magically transform the stillers

Denver thought so much of Wilson that they were willing to eat millions of dollars to get rid of him but I’m sure it’s all Sp just being petty

Chicago trades up to draft Williams at 11 only to dump him for next to nothing. But I’m sure he’ll throw fewer game changing pics with the stillers

Only question is how many games it will take for the ynzers to be rooting for the third string qb

Yeah this steeler offense can be good for Wilson. Let’s hope it is. The horses up front are arriving. Would have been good for Kenny too for the reasons you said. Kenny is a good play action QB but it wasn’t what Matt Canada does and the Steelers might have gone play action less than any team in the league? So Wilson way better than Pickett? No. But better than Pickett? Perhaps.

Gotta love ynzer stiller fans. The rejects no other team wanted in a league where competent qbs are at a premium will magically transform the stillers

Denver thought so much of Wilson that they were willing to eat millions of dollars to get rid of him but I’m sure it’s all Sp just being petty

Chicago trades up to draft Williams at 11 only to dump him for next to nothing. But I’m sure he’ll throw fewer game changing pics with the stillers

Only question is how many games it will take for the ynzers to be rooting for the third string qb
Yinzers are so shallow they don’t understand the impact of the worst coordinator in the history of the game. To them it’s no different than having a sub par TE or OG. To them a player should be able to overcome it with ease. I have no affinity to Kenny. Absolutely none. I don’t care what he does in Philly, just like I don’t care what any Pitt player does in the NFL…and just like I don’t care what college Friemuth, Peezy Jr and Frazier went to. I just have to react when these folks show their football ignorance.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Yinzers are so shallow they don’t understand the impact of the worst coordinator in the history of the game. To them it’s no different than having a sub par TE or OG. To them a player should be able to overcome it with ease. I have no affinity to Kenny. Absolutely none. I don’t care what he does in Philly, just like I don’t care what any Pitt player does in the NFL…and just like I don’t care what college Friemuth, Peezy Jr and Frazier went to. I just have to react when these folks show their football ignorance.
Same. KP isn’t a particularly charismatic or likable guy and he doesn’t appear to be a bad guy either

Just trying to be objective about his talent and his poor performance as a Steelers Qb.

Hes clearly not a franchise Qb. Anyone who knows anything about football never thought he was going to carry the Steelers or any team like BR and the other greats do. He needs to have the talent around him which he never did. Compounding the lack of talent was the fact that he had arguably the worst OC in the history of the nfl.

He might be a qb who a team can win with but the jury is out on that. It’s not like he didn’t show signs of being decent as he had more late game drives to win games than most qbs do early in their career But he did show signs of the weaknesses he had earlier in his Pitt career. ( happy feet)

I’m just curious to see what he can do with a real OC and an Ol where there’s not a jail break every Other play. We saw some of that when Canada was fired. Wast great but played much much better

And perhaps Wilson and or fields will throw more TDs. But in the end will that result in more Ws? Again there’s a reason their prior teams who had heavily invested in them cut them loose Should be an intersting season to follow

Anyone outraged about how Sean Payton and possibly leaks that came from the Broncos (seems likely but don’t follow it) have trashed Wilson? I seem to recall stuff coming from the Seahawks towards the end as well.

Reactions: 303vND
Anyone outraged about how Sean Payton and possibly leaks that came from the Broncos (seems likely but don’t follow it) have trashed Wilson? I seem to recall stuff coming from the Seahawks towards the end as well.
The piling on, yes, but it wasn't a secret that Payton didn't think much of Wilson. You don't pay a guy that much money to play for another team if you only slightly dislike him.

Reactions: pittbb80 and 303vND
Same. KP isn’t a particularly charismatic or likable guy and he doesn’t appear to be a bad guy either

Just trying to be objective about his talent and his poor performance as a Steelers Qb.

Hes clearly not a franchise Qb. Anyone who knows anything about football never thought he was going to carry the Steelers or any team like BR and the other greats do. He needs to have the talent around him which he never did. Compounding the lack of talent was the fact that he had arguably the worst OC in the history of the nfl.

He might be a qb who a team can win with but the jury is out on that. It’s not like he didn’t show signs of being decent as he had more late game drives to win games than most qbs do early in their career But he did show signs of the weaknesses he had earlier in his Pitt career. ( happy feet)

I’m just curious to see what he can do with a real OC and an Ol where there’s not a jail break every Other play. We saw some of that when Canada was fired. Wast great but played much much better

And perhaps Wilson and or fields will throw more TDs. But in the end will that result in more Ws? Again there’s a reason their prior teams who had heavily invested in them cut them loose Should be an intersting season to follow
I agree with every syllable.

And his coach paid tens of millions to get him as far away from his locker room as possible. But remind me of your point in the OP again?? Yikes.
It's crazy to think in his "down year" where he threw 28 TD's and 9 ints, that his coach would pay millions of dollars to see him gone. Good grief, what would Payton do if he had Kenny - ship him and donate part of his coaching salary along with the transaction?

The bottom line is - the current group of Steeler players and coaches didn't think Kenny had what it took to be a franchise QB. It's quite obvious the team didn't support him because as they say "real recognizes real." Just about every national and local "expert" agrees that the Steelers upgraded the position.

Reactions: Pitt79
It's crazy to think in his "down year" where he threw 28 TD's and 9 ints, that his coach would pay millions of dollars to see him gone. Good grief, what would Payton do if he had Kenny - ship him and donate part of his coaching salary along with the transaction?

The bottom line is - the current group of Steeler players and coaches didn't think Kenny had what it took to be a franchise QB. It's quite obvious the team didn't support him because as they say "real recognizes real." Just about every national and local "expert" agrees that the Steelers upgraded the position.
Yep...upgraded the position of OC - as noted, that's the biggest upgrade the Steelers made. And last time I looked the wise guys still had the Steelers over/under win total at the same number - it didn't move one tick with the additions of Wilson and Fields.

Every national expert gets their news from the “local” experts, which frankly is an oxymoron…because the local experts as we know have agendas. Most national “experts” also only see what’s going on on the field via their tv sets but aren’t detailed enough to know anything beyond the QB position. Most national experts don’t see poor route running and junior high play design. Most national experts don’t see that Canada ran play to run plays…and not run plays to set up other plays.

Most local media unprofessionally cheered openly when Canada was fired as they saw him as the biggest problem. The local media was close enough to see the big problem first hand. It was a terrible look for them. It’s one thing for fans to cheer, but when the media did it, it was an awful awful display. Then Kenny played well after it happened as many expected. But then all of a sudden, the rhetoric changed and the rhetoric shifted against Pickett when nothing happened but improved performance. Well, except for Dulac’s lies that became mainstream.

When Canada gets another OC job, keep me informed.

Yep...upgraded the position of OC - as noted, that's the biggest upgrade the Steelers made. And last time I looked the wise guys still had the Steelers over/under win total at the same number - it didn't move one tick with the additions of Wilson and Fields.
And an improved Ol

Reactions: 303vND

Was that the product of the offense and the playmakers making plays or Wilson’s great qb play

The data suggests he dinked and dunked his way to the 26 tds

Maybe SP knows a bit more than the experts

I have no idea lol but their line was a joke
Fields is actually younger than Pickett. In the context of potential, Fields has 5x more so than Pickett. He may never work out in the NFL, just as Pickett may never pan out--but the ceiling is far higher for Fields. Fields with Chicago had all the same excuses that Pickett does for underperforming and then some, as the Stillers were unquestionably a better team and franchise with better coaches and front office than Da Bears during his time there. And if someone here wants to make the argument that Matt Eberflus is a better head coach than Tomlin, please do so, I could use a good laugh today.

So taking emotions out of it and looking at it on paper, most would say the Steelers have upgraded their QB situation significantly.

Fields is actually younger than Pickett. In the context of potential, Fields has 5x more so than Pickett. He may never work out in the NFL, just as Pickett may never pan out--but the ceiling is far higher for Fields. Fields with Chicago had all the same excuses that Pickett does for underperforming and then some, as the Stillers were unquestionably a better team and franchise with better coaches and front office than Da Bears during his time there. And if someone here wants to make the argument that Matt Eberflus is a better head coach than Tomlin, please do so, I could use a good laugh today.

So taking emotions out of it and looking at it on paper, most would say the Steelers have upgraded their QB situation significantly.
A tandem of Wilson and Fields is certainly a lot sexier than Pickett and Rudolph but that’s a given considering Wilson’s career means that he’s a big name and Fields was a top player coming out of a top college program. But I’m sure one can use plenty of data points to craft an argument on either side. For example, Kenny had the fear of God in him not to turn the ball over…while Fields didn’t and therefore did it a ton. If I were starting a franchise and had those 4 to choose from, I’d take Fields myself…but plenty of people don’t think he has an upside more than Pickett. I personally do though. But both need way more talent and coaching they had with their last teams. Way more.

But both need way more talent and coaching they had with their last teams. Way more.

Can’t argue with that statement.

Good thing their QBs will do that since the Steelers don't employ a RB coach, WR coach, TE coach or any other position coach to watch film and teach the players the responsibilities of their position which should include coverage identification. As far as timing goes...that is what weekly practice is for along with a game plan.

If players making millions can't run precise routes or checkdowns perhaps they should look for backup employment.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Good thing their QBs will do that since the Steelers don't employ a RB coach, WR coach, TE coach or any other position coach to watch film and teach the players the responsibilities of their position which should include coverage identification. As far as timing goes...that is what weekly practice is for along with a game plan.

If players making millions can't run precise routes or checkdowns perhaps they should look for backup employment.
spoken like a weekend warrior..

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/20...es-welker-the-timeline-start-time-tv-channel/

So a throwing session on an empty field with nobody covering them or tracking their routes teaches coverage identification, and precise route running under duress. I got it.

Did I mention leverage...whatever that means.
At least you admit you haven't played the sport.

At least you admit you haven't played the sport.
Not in the NFL.

You completely avoided my counterpoint to your absurd observations as to the benefits of QB-Receiver off season workouts. Sure...gaining familiarity for a connection between a QB and his receivers has some merit...just not the ones you so boldly claimed. Then you follow it up with a video that does nothing to bolster those claims.

Quit while you are behind.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT