ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Warren - Yikes!

I'm not seeing much negative stuff about Najee. But for the record, the first two were clearly problematic and the reporting on them had nothing to do with being fed anything. Those guys wrote their own stories.
Juju was not remotely problematic
The Najee stuff has already started

There was a month or so stretch where Juju's pregame antics were the biggest story surrounding the team. Whether the coverage of it was fair or not, it became a distraction and he didn't stop. He did himself no favors.

Reactions: 303vND
I gather that Zeise has been humiliated for the "scoop" he released about Najee. No surprise there.

Juju had his share of detractors in the building. But he was very good at packaging himself.

I gather that Zeise has been humiliated for the "scoop" he released about Najee. No surprise there.

Juju had his share of detractors in the building. But he was very good at packaging himself.
If by That you mean-
Gave 100% and sacrificed his stats and moved to the slot - which hurt his career and separated his shoulder as a result .
Then yes -
He packaged himself as a hard nosed team first wide receiver who ended Burfict’s career.
He was Hines without all of his off the field personal problems with women .

So what's your reasoning to think Dulac's report and all of the reports are bunk?
Dulac had agenda from the very first day. Even before Kenny was drafted, he had a strange bias. I’m not crying Nitter this or Nitter that…it’s not my style. All I’m saying is he had a bias for whatever reason and it was obvious to anyone who paid half of the attention that I paid. And frankly everyone in the media has a bias and it’s up to you to educate yourself on who is doing the reporting and decide whether reports should be taken with a grain of salt or not. You haven’t and that’s on you.

I think there were also plenty of Pitt fans unhappy that KP skipped the Peach Bowl. I understand the decision but in my mind, it was a selfish one considering it was our chance at a top 10 finish. I didn’t particularly care if he had NFL success after that. I didn’t actively root against him though.
That's been nothing about that since the draft. The usual naysayers who bitch about accepting the Bunja Munja Bowl.

If by That you mean-
Gave 100% and sacrificed his stats and moved to the slot - which hurt his career and separated his shoulder as a result .
Then yes -
He packaged himself as a hard nosed team first wide receiver who ended Burfict’s career.
He was Hines without all of his off the field personal problems with women .
There was a little more to it than that.

That said, he was far from the worst guy ever, that is for sure. Far from that. But that's not to say he was a totally selfless individual, either. Either way, he wasn't worth the big second contract in today's NFL, which is why he never got one. He did get the ring, though.

Hines was hands-off by the media in his day, no doubt.

I didn’t expect Ben, but I expected more, certainly didn’t expect him to tap out.

But why is it “blaming Kenny” to acknowledge that he wasted good?
Then just simply say he wasn't good enough. Do we need to attack his leadership, losing the locker room, quitting, and whatever else people want to report about how bad of a person he was? Frankly, a lot of it borders on being ridiculous.

I can find you a lot of quotes from the HC, WRs, and defensive players that talk about his leadership and the confidence they had in him. No different than what they'll say about their new teammates in the QB room - at least until they're gone.

Warren's loyalty is to the current guys handing and throwing him the football.

Then just simply say he wasn't good enough. Do we need to attack his leadership, losing the locker room, quitting, and whatever else people want to report about how bad of a person he was? Frankly, a lot of it borders on being ridiculous.

I can find you a lot of quotes from the HC, WRs, and defensive players that talk about his leadership and the confidence they had in him. No different than what they'll say about their new teammates in the QB room - at least until they're gone.

Dulac’s reporting bordered on blatant agenda that was meant to tear down everything about the guy. Picketts leadership and intangibles were what the Steelers absolutely loved about him and frankly had them overlooking his lack of arm strength, etc. But now those who listen to Dulac’s reporting are now being duped into believing that he’s a big POS who was disrespectful to all and disrespected by all. And that’s not the case.

Kenny's been in the league for 2 seasons and he doesn't look like a starting QB on a championship caliber team - so he probably is correct on that one. The stats show he was one of the historically worst QB's we've ever seen play the game.

Speaking of that game, I literally just went back and peaked at the highlights. Kenny was the 3rd QB in that going against 3rd teamers and UDFA's. I know we all wanted KP to shine and he's a PITT guy but c'mon..
QBs who looked like a starting QB on a championship caliber team after two years? Not a long list when you aren't picking top 10.

He's got good stats and bad stats. Lack of TD passes being his worst, and the one that gets harped on continuously. Some was his fault and the offense was to blame for some. How much for each is debatable, but water under the bridge at this point.

I will guarantee…guarantee…that if Kenny has to play this year in Philly, he will immediately look like a different QB and a couple people in this thread will be shocked. Just by being in a different offense, without handcuffs, and with better interior pass protection, it will make him appear light years better to those who weren’t sophisticated enough here to understand basic football. Will he be a superstar? I would say no at this juncture, but people here had him pegged as historically bad and that’s simply not the case.

Dulac’s reporting bordered on blatant agenda that was meant to tear down everything about the guy. Picketts leadership and intangibles were what the Steelers absolutely loved about him and frankly had them overlooking his lack of arm strength, etc. But now those who listen to Dulac’s reporting are now being duped into believing that he’s a big POS who was disrespectful to all and disrespected by all. And that’s not the case.
This was from late October 2023, right before he got hurt. But now we're to believe he tapped out.

"We're going to continually go to work on more fluid and more productive starts. But it's a component of it that's not new, and that's his ability to rise up in moments," Tomlin said of Pickett, who has won nine of his last 12 starts.

"I don't know that any of us are surprised by his ability to make the plays that he makes when it really gets thick. I just think that some people are built like that. Some people relish the opportunity. Some people really smile in the fact of adversity. Some people are competition junkies. I think he's all of those things, but that's not something that we just discovered, as I mentioned. It's something that we knew even prior to him being a Pittsburgh Steeler."

This was from late October 2023, right before he got hurt.

"We're going to continually go to work on more fluid and more productive starts. But it's a component of it that's not new, and that's his ability to rise up in moments," Tomlin said of Pickett, who has won nine of his last 12 starts.

"I don't know that any of us are surprised by his ability to make the plays that he makes when it really gets thick. I just think that some people are built like that. Some people relish the opportunity. Some people really smile in the fact of adversity. Some people are competition junkies. I think he's all of those things, but that's not something that we just discovered, as I mentioned. It's something that we knew even prior to him being a Pittsburgh Steeler."
Exactly and it’s almost as though Dulac was even more inspired after those quotes to tear down that narrative. It’s all very weird. But yeah it’s all water under the bridge now and I don’t really care because I’m not sure I saw enough in Kenny to think he’d lead this team to the promised land. My whole problem is with the people who failed to see the big picture in this offense and made him out to be the problem. He wasn’t. He was far from the problem.

This was from late October 2023, right before he got hurt. But now we're to believe he tapped out.

That's great. So why is he no longer a Steeler?

QBs who looked like a starting QB on a championship caliber team after two years? Not a long list when you aren't picking top 10.

He's got good stats and bad stats. Lack of TD passes being his worst, and the one that gets harped on continuously. Some was his fault and the offense was to blame for some. How much for each is debatable, but water under the bridge at this point.
The inability to throw TD's in this era is a huge red mark on his resume. It's the equivalent of a relief pitcher not being able to get guys out.
I will guarantee…guarantee…that if Kenny has to play this year in Philly, he will immediately look like a different QB and a couple people in this thread will be shocked. Just by being in a different offense, without handcuffs, and with better interior pass protection, it will make him appear light years better to those who weren’t sophisticated enough here to understand basic football. Will he be a superstar? I would say no at this juncture, but people here had him pegged as historically bad and that’s simply not the case.
I hope KP has a phenomenal career going forward. Maybe he turns it around like Brett Favre did going from Atlanta where he wasn't appreciated to having a great career in GB. I think his skillset from a physical standpoint is like a Ryan Fitzpatrick. Maybe he carves out a great career.
My whole problem is with the people who failed to see the big picture in this offense and made him out to be the problem. He wasn’t. He was far from the problem.
There are people in the building who think he was the problem. There are people who think Canada was the problem. Most people think they both stink. If you don't think he was "far" from the problem, I'm not sure what to say.

The inability to throw TD's in this era is a huge red mark on his resume. It's the equivalent of a relief pitcher not being able to get guys out.

I hope KP has a phenomenal career going forward. Maybe he turns it around like Brett Favre did going from Atlanta where he wasn't appreciated to having a great career in GB. I think his skillset from a physical standpoint is like a Ryan Fitzpatrick. Maybe he carves out a great career.

There are people in the building who think he was the problem. There are people who think Canada was the problem. Most people think they both stink. If you don't think he was "far" from the problem, I'm not sure what to say.
Remind me how many games he won in spite of a middle school offense (fact) and no pass protection, no top end receivers and a running game that only kicked in later in the year? The only thing I’ll concede on was his happy feet…but that was a learned behavior due to having a pathetic center who couldn’t block and who also threw the timing of every play off due to his inability to snap a football. I also think someone was tipping the defense. And who knows that could have been Kenny himself. But who knows.

Its not unlike players at all levels raving about a S&C coach or position coach and then a new Coach replaces them and they proceed to praise how the new coach has made a huge difference.

Reactions: 303vND and Fk_Pitt
Its not unlike players at all levels raving about a S&C coach or position coach and then a new Coach replaces them and they proceed to praise how the new coach has made a huge difference.
I love this thread. The OP was a big nothing burger. Not one thing of any significance was in Warrens statements. Yet it’s still going strong 220 posts later.

There was a month or so stretch where Juju's pregame antics were the biggest story surrounding the team. Whether the coverage of it was fair or not, it became a distraction and he didn't stop. He did himself no favors.
Yep...dancing on teams logos for the sake of social media. I remember the safety from the Bengals made note of JuJu dancing on their logo and he lit him up.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
It's one stat. Just like INTs, fumbles, completion %, wins, come from behind wins, and a host of others.
When people gravitate to that stat, you right away know about their agenda. Or their ignorance. And I don’t say ignorance as a slam. It just means that someone doesn’t know what they are talking about because they simply are less informed. And that’s ok because it’s just sports. I mean the fact that I’m way more informed than the others is actually not something to be proud of because it indicates that I have too much time on my hands to occupy my brain with useless sports stuff.

Remind me how many games he won in spite of a middle school offense (fact) and no pass protection, no top end receivers and a running game that only kicked in later in the year? The only thing I’ll concede on was his happy feet…but that was a learned behavior due to having a pathetic center who couldn’t block and who also threw the timing of every play off due to his inability to snap a football. I also think someone was tipping the defense. And who knows that could have been Kenny himself. But who knows.
Pickett was a huge part of that middle school offense not being able to connect for TDs and his happy feet have always been a major issue. IMO, happy feet and rushing himself into pressure were his biggest weakness entering the NFL and both those issues were huge with the Steelers.

Philadelphia is a pretty good fallback situation with a lot of talent on the offensive side, a strong OL, and generally good offensive coaching. It puts him in a good spot to bounce back and set up his second contract with another team if he ever gets any snaps during the regular season. I wouldn't have minded if he landed with the Vikings either because I thought he had a real good shot to succeed there as a starter as early as this season.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Pickett was a huge part of that middle school offense not being able to connect for TDs and his happy feet have always been a major issue. IMO, happy feet and rushing himself into pressure were his biggest weakness entering the NFL and both those issues were huge with the Steelers.

Philadelphia is a pretty good fallback situation with a lot of talent on the offensive side, a strong OL, and generally good offensive coaching. It puts him in a good spot to bounce back and set up his second contract with another team if he ever gets any snaps during the regular season. I wouldn't have minded if he landed with the Vikings either because I thought he had a real good shot to succeed there as a starter as early as this season.
We can debate how much of an issue Picket was in the offense but for sure his weakness at the very least were part of the problem.

Again its telling that once Canada left Picket performed much better against Cinci and was having a good game against the Cardinals until he got hurt.

I dont think anyone whose quote unquote defended Picket thinks hes a "franchise" QB, meaning a guy like Mahomes or Ben who single handedly can lift up a crappy offense. Those are rare birds. Picket could be (and showed some signs) a guy who you can win a super bowl with given the appropriate talent around him.

It's one stat. Just like INTs, fumbles, completion %, wins, come from behind wins, and a host of others.
It's a pretty important stat. TD's and INT's are the most important stats in football for a passer.

If you can't put the ball in the endzone, you're going to be expendable sooner than later.

When people gravitate to that stat, you right away know about their agenda. Or their ignorance. And I don’t say ignorance as a slam. It just means that someone doesn’t know what they are talking about because they simply are less informed. And that’s ok because it’s just sports. I mean the fact that I’m way more informed than the others is actually not something to be proud of because it indicates that I have too much time on my hands to occupy my brain with useless sports stuff.
If you don't think the ability throw TD's in this era is troubling - you're the one with the agenda. It pretty much means you need to have an outstanding running game and a lights out defense in order to be successful. If you're a leadoff hitter in baseball, you're main job is to get on base. When you begin to lack that ability, you no longer are valued as a leadoff hitter.

Another thing, Canada's offense was not good. Virtually everyone agrees with that. However, if you need everything schemed up perfectly, you probably can't play QB in this league. And, this is why Tomlin had it on the table to bench Kenny after the Cleveland loss not fire Canada. I'm willing to bet if you asked Canada, if he felt handcuffed a bit because of the QB - he'd probably agree. Again - neither helped the situation. The only thing I know, it looked like when Mason took the helm - the entire team was relieved including the HC in a reluctant manner.

When you've got Jackson, Burrow, and Watson in your division, you better have a guy who can put the ball in the endzone. Otherwise, your entire team (defense, offense, s/t) is going to be beyond stressed.

If you don't think the ability throw TD's in this era is troubling - you're the one with the agenda. It pretty much means you need to have an outstanding running game and a lights out defense in order to be successful. If you're a leadoff hitter in baseball, you're main job is to get on base. When you begin to lack that ability, you no longer are valued as a leadoff hitter.

Another thing, Canada's offense was not good. Virtually everyone agrees with that. However, if you need everything schemed up perfectly, you probably can't play QB in this league. And, this is why Tomlin had it on the table to bench Kenny after the Cleveland loss not fire Canada. I'm willing to bet if you asked Canada, if he felt handcuffed a bit because of the QB - he'd probably agree. Again - neither helped the situation. The only thing I know, it looked like when Mason took the helm - the entire team was relieved including the HC in a reluctant manner.

When you've got Jackson, Burrow, and Watson in your division, you better have a guy who can put the ball in the endzone. Otherwise, your entire team (defense, offense, s/t) is going to be beyond stressed.
Do a deep dive into the Canada offense and why it was always destined to fail in todays NFL. People have and published it…but if you’re not paying attention then surely you wouldn’t know. It was virtually impossible to throw touchdowns in the red zone with the play calling and philosophy and that’s why those TD numbers were what they were.

Now, your statement about Rudolph is troubling. Mind you, this is the same Rudolph that everyone bashed, outside of me and a few others, but if you believe Rudolph was solely the reason the team looked “relieved”, then you’ll believe anything. Consider this…in games that Kenny started and finished, the Steelers were 7-2. When Mitch played, the team lost. That’s just a fact. And not only lost, but lost to the worst teams in the league at home. After Canada was fired, Kenny was 24/38 for 348 yards in 5 quarters. Then he got hurt, Mitch stepped in and proceeded to lose in a historically bad way and then Rudolph stepped in. So if the team appeared relieved to you, it’s because they just lost to the worst teams on the league with Mitch at the helm. The fact is, the offense immediately changed after Canada was fired and Kenny and Rudolph were leading the team. After Canada was fired Kenny’s yards per completion instantly went up 3 yards. And you have to consider that it was still the same offense but just with different coaches running it, game planning and tweaking it. It was still a middle school offense. And yet Kenny and Rudolph performed. This is why I always felt Mason could be a good NFL QB in a good offense, and Kenny can too.

Do a deep dive into the Canada offense and why it was always destined to fail in todays NFL. People have and published it…but if you’re not paying attention then surely you wouldn’t know. It was virtually impossible to throw touchdowns in the red zone with the play calling and philosophy and that’s why those TD numbers were what they were.
Deep dive for me.. Please don't reference bloggers like Kozora.

This whole "modern" NFL scheme stuff is so overrated. Kyle Shannahan and Sean McVay run shit from 1993 over and over again. It's dressed up for sure, but there are only a few "new" concepts in offensive football.

The bottom line is Canada wasn't a good enough coach to handle KP's deficiencies and KP wasn't good enough to handle Canada's ineptitude.

One thing I do take issue with Tomlin on is the mistakes that are made that should have been totally avoidable. Let's say it is a given that KP shouldn't have been a first round pick. Given that he was right next door for all that time, the Steelers should have known what they were getting. Same with Canada, there should have been no surprises there with what he had to offer.

Whatever the process was that led to those two decisions, needs to get cleaned up.

I get KP was a reach that didn't work out. It happens. How they missed so badly with Canada I cannot comprehend.

Deep dive for me.. Please don't reference bloggers like Kozora.

This whole "modern" NFL scheme stuff is so overrated. Kyle Shannahan and Sean McVay run shit from 1993 over and over again. It's dressed up for sure, but there are only a few "new" concepts in offensive football.

The bottom line is Canada wasn't a good enough coach to handle KP's deficiencies and KP wasn't good enough to handle Canada's ineptitude.
Imagine that! A borderline first round QB wasn’t good enough to dominate 2023 defenses with a middle school offense. Glad we agree! So why all the ire?? Oh I know…it’s easy for yinzers to blame the QB.

A deep dive isn't even needed. Canada had maybe 2-3 good seasons as an OC in his career and that was college. He was destined for failure from the start and just a terrible hire by Tomlin.

Imagine that! A borderline first round QB wasn’t good enough to dominate 2023 defenses with a middle school offense. Glad we agree! So why all the ire?? Oh I know…it’s easy for yinzers to blame the QB.
"Dominate?" KP has only had 1 season in the past 7 years where he was "dominant."

Both KP and MC were not even "good." At best, both were average for small windows and most of the time they were below average.

The original point was KP did not have his share of supporters on the team both players and coaches. Even with the removal of MC, coaches and players did not believe KP was the guy. If they did, the players wouldn't have been recruiting other QBs, especially ones that have issues themselves. And, I'm not suggesting the players were in support of Canada either.

"Dominate?" KP has only had 1 season in the past 7 years where he was "dominant."

Both KP and MC were not even "good." At best, both were average for small windows and most of the time they were below average.

The original point was KP did not have his share of supporters on the team both players and coaches. Even with the removal of MC, coaches and players did not believe KP was the guy. If they did, the players wouldn't have been recruiting other QBs, especially ones that have issues themselves. And, I'm not suggesting the players were in support of Canada either.
I said dominate because I assumed that is what yinzers (not saying you) expected…being that he was 7-2 and winning games. Yet yinzers and plenty of people on these boards during the year would say Mahomes does this, Ben did that, or Allen and Burrow do this better…yada, yada, yada.

Yet the guy with the undrafted free agent Pedigree (Purdy) was an mvp candidate. Goes to show you how much a coordinator, HC, and talent means to a young QB.

The original point was KP did not have his share of supporters on the team both players and coaches. Even with the removal of MC, coaches and players did not believe KP was the guy. If they did, the players wouldn't have been recruiting other QBs, especially ones that have issues themselves.
Again that says more about the players than it does KP and explains why they have shit the bed against the worst teams in the league repeatedly over the least 4-5 years

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 303vND

This is such hogwash revisionist history. Kenny was the best player on the team for most of his tenure at Pitt.

Did he steal your girlfriend?

Snub your idol, Walt Harris?

Go root for PSU or Walt's flag football team.

I'll add that Wilson was recruited by a minority owner. You have no clue re the facts. Yinzers will believe whatever they are fed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT