ADVERTISEMENT

Narduzzi’s biggest failure to date at Pitt.

Jun 3, 2023
I was sitting here thinking about how in 2 years, the program went to being an ACC champion, to getting our asses kicked on a weekly basis in embarrassing fashion.

In my opinion, Narduzzi’s biggest failure was not recruiting a stud QB after Pickett left. If you wanted to have a 1 year fill in to transition between Pickett and your new 4 star QB, then so be it. But, Narduzzi and his staff have absolutely failed miserably bringing in a quality replacement to Kenny. Next season will mark the 3rd year without Kenny and none of know who will behind center to open next season.

This is also why it’s critical for Narduzzi to have his mind made up about Cignetti now. This way, after the final snap against Duke, he can relieve Cignetti of his duties and immediately begin to consider others. Perhaps an OC with ties to some decent QB’s.

One thing I would advise against is considering a recently fired OC. If it didn’t work elsewhere, it likely won’t work here and why try? But, we all know Narduzzi well enough to know that the next OC will probably be a run first relic from Youngstown Ohio.

This is a repeat of what I said yesterday but yea he needs to change philosophically as well. College football has changed. What good QB is gonna want to play in this style of offense? For a head coach who fired an O coordinator who succeeded because he didn’t like how much they threw the ball? He’s his own worst enemy when it comes to QB.

And he gets credit for Pickett. He recruited and landed him. But he wasn’t big time as a recruit and it was a stroke of luck he got that extra year. If nothing changes he’s gonna need to get lucky again.

Doesn’t need to be the Atlanta Falcons or Oilers throw it all over the lot. But if you get a stud QB you gotta let him do his thing. And as it stands I’m sure that level of recruit is gonna think he’ll be restricted.

Scheme is so overrated... Cigs' issue isn't his system in recruiting, it's his reputation as a QB developer. Who has he developed that kids have seen play on Sunday?
I don’t know Cigs’ history but I don’t doubt what you’re saying there.

And I still think Narduzzi was foolish in saying what he said. I don’t believe it’s to anyone’s benefit to have a pre conceived number of runs or passes. Do whatever’s working/take advantage of strengths/weaknesses. Kinda like Syracuse ramming it down Pitt’s throat including a TE with a buck+ in rushing yardage.

Agreed. No more failed hacks like Watson and Cig. Must be a dynamic and highly successful OC from a winning G5 or FC team, who can also bring his QB and other skill players along as transfers.

As the guy above said, the scheme itself really doesn’t matter (other than it can’t be Ground Chuck like Duz would prefer; that can’t work for us).

This is vital. Lyke has to be insistent on this or make it clear; we won’t fire him but life will be made miserable for Narduzzi until he himself quits.

It's hard to recruit stud QBs. I asked why Jimbo failed at A&M then I saw his QB list and understood why. What Pitt need to do is quit recruiting these statues at QB, whether it's a HS recruit one one from the transfer portal. You need a guy who can extend plays in the passing game and occasionally move the chains with his legs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT