ADVERTISEMENT

New name for Wrestling job

Agreed, Piranha doesn't know wtf he is talking about, so there is no sense in arguing with him.
Pitt's boosters and administration have not been committed to wrestling since Rex Peery. Greatness comes with a price. Good facilities cost $, a good HC costs $, good assistants cost $.

Just offer Terry Brands 300 a year and be done with it.
thom67, are you confident Santoro was not offered a better salary than Lehigh? I've been told he was actually offered 75K more to take the Pitt job. It wasn't a salary issue.

Pitt's boosters and administration have not been committed to wrestling since Rex Peery. Greatness comes with a price. Good facilities cost $, a good HC costs $, good assistants cost $.
The University does not fully fund the wrestling program. That becomes a recruiting disadvantage to those that do. Big 10 and Big 12 schools are fully funded which is a huge recruiting advantage to out of state recruiting. You can be successful with out the University fulling funding(i.e. Cornell), where a guy like Dake, who was never on a full ride, wanted to wrestle for Koll. It could be a roadblock to getting a coach that is high caliber like Terry Brands. Just an FYI...Lehigh is fully funded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piranha
The ACC $$$ can fix all these things. It already has started for other minor sports. Also, they have been working for months to line up Santoro and lined up some big potential donors that are all going to disappear now that she blew it.

Reactions: guyutethepig
The University does not fully fund the wrestling program. That becomes a recruiting disadvantage to those that do. Big 10 and Big 12 schools are fully funded which is a huge recruiting advantage to out of state recruiting. You can be successful with out the University fulling funding(i.e. Cornell), where a guy like Dake, who was never on a full ride, wanted to wrestle for Koll. It could be a roadblock to getting a coach that is high caliber like Terry Brands. Just an FYI...Lehigh is fully funded.

Explain what you mean by the university not fully funding wrestling

Scholarships for wrestling have been fully funded.

Reactions: guyutethepig
Virginia Tech just hired Frank Molinaro to be an assistant coach. NCAA champ, 2016 Olympic team member. Assistant coaching experience at PSU and Rutgers. Part of the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. (2) high profile assistant coaches hired today that are way more well known than the latest potential head coach candidate.
It appears Pitt is indifferent as to whether or not the wrestling program prospers or dies on the vine.

The new AD is either incompetent or executing the administrations plan.

Here's my two cents as a former college wrestler and youth wrestling coach.
Unlike other sports i.e. football or basketball a wrestling coach must have high end wrestling experience and be able to that that on the mat experience and pass it on to others.
The high end wrestling pedigree also helps with recruiting.
So maybe is ISU wrestling experience will translate to good coaching recruiting?

I think that facilities and budget were an issue. But Santoro and Flynn were ready to come or they wouldn't have interviewed. Part of the blame goes beyond Lyke. The big guys took too long to hire an AD. The timing sucked for wrestling. We should have had an AD and a budget before NCAA's. The AD should have been in St. Louis, and the new coach should have been at the PWC. They had since January to line up financial support, and it is out there. She is tip of the Incompetence Iceberg.

Explain what you mean by the university not fully funding wrestling
Pitt funds 9.9 scholarships. In state tuition only..they do not take in to account the max for out of state tuition in those 9.9. Penn state is fully funded so if the out of state tuition is 40,000 per student athlete. They will take 9.9x 40,000. Pitt only funds 9.9 X in state which may be 20,000. You see that not all scholarship amount's are same. Schools can give academic scholarships that don't count toward that number. Nolf at PSU is a 4.0 academic all American. Very little money if any is needed for an athlete who is also a top academic performer. Pitt uses in-State tuition only in their calculation of 9.9. Penn State is fully funding that means it will pick up out of state tuition dollars x 9.9. Hope that helps

Last edited:
Scholarships for wrestling have been fully funded.
It's a play on words..here is a well written explanation. All of the Big 10 and Big 12 schools are fully funded. Also, some private schools like American and Lehigh are fully funded.

Some schools will say they are fully funded but that is only because their athletic department only budgeted for in-state students. Basically they are saying you can recruit out of state but it better be worth it because they will use 1.5 scholarship.

Some schools use scholarship equivilants that are self imposed. For example, Rutgers offers 9.6 scholarships and I head it didnt mater if they were in state or out of state students. I think this figure is used because it balances the mens and womens sports.

Other schools give flat dollar amounts. A school might say you have $100,000 in scholarships and you can use it however you want but in-state students cost 10,000 and out of state students cost 25,000.

Private schools have a two edged sword. The scholarship figures are easier to figure because all students have the same sticker price since it doesnt matter if they are in state or out of state students but academic scholarship for a student on athletic scholarship still count.

For instance, at a state school the school would say tuition is 30,000 but the state is giving you 10,000 in aid and we will give you a 20,000 athletic scholarship. The NCAA will count that as a 1/3 scholarship since it came from federal financial aid even though it was a scholarship based on grades so the program would be left with roughly 9.6 scholarships. At a private school they might give a 10,000 scholarship for good grades and then a 20,000 athletic scholarship but the NCAA says we dont care what budget you took the money from the school is only allowed to give 9.9 scholarships on athletic support. If a student had a Pell grant it wouldnt be counted but school supported scholarship would be counted. However if the private school gave the kid 10,000 in an academic scholarship and no athletic scholarship it wouldnt count as anything because his aid would be the same even if he quit the sport. Pitt budgets for in-state tuition.

Also, the program budget never came close to the top competitive programs. The majority of you on here bi;:%ch about Stottlemyer's tenure at Pitt, but he NEVER had money to work with and then you turn around and brag about how you withheld $ from the program. When Jack Spates was here as the assistant we beat Lehigh for the first time in a long time. We ended up having a great year that year. He was making around $10,000 with 4 children. He wanted to stay here. He went to the administration and begged for a better salary so that he could stay. He was refused; Army offered him a better salary and he left. We could not keep good coaches on the salaries Pitt offered. There are numerous ways for a program to be fully funded.

It's a play on words..here is a well written explanation. All of the Big 10 and Big 12 schools are fully funded. Also, some private schools like American and Lehigh are fully funded.

Some schools will say they are fully funded but that is only because their athletic department only budgeted for in-state students. Basically they are saying you can recruit out of state but it better be worth it because they will use 1.5 scholarship.

Some schools use scholarship equivilants that are self imposed. For example, Rutgers offers 9.6 scholarships and I head it didnt mater if they were in state or out of state students. I think this figure is used because it balances the mens and womens sports.

Other schools give flat dollar amounts. A school might say you have $100,000 in scholarships and you can use it however you want but in-state students cost 10,000 and out of state students cost 25,000.

Private schools have a two edged sword. The scholarship figures are easier to figure because all students have the same sticker price since it doesnt matter if they are in state or out of state students but academic scholarship for a student on athletic scholarship still count.

For instance, at a state school the school would say tuition is 30,000 but the state is giving you 10,000 in aid and we will give you a 20,000 athletic scholarship. The NCAA will count that as a 1/3 scholarship since it came from federal financial aid even though it was a scholarship based on grades so the program would be left with roughly 9.6 scholarships. At a private school they might give a 10,000 scholarship for good grades and then a 20,000 athletic scholarship but the NCAA says we dont care what budget you took the money from the school is only allowed to give 9.9 scholarships on athletic support. If a student had a Pell grant it wouldnt be counted but school supported scholarship would be counted. However if the private school gave the kid 10,000 in an academic scholarship and no athletic scholarship it wouldnt count as anything because his aid would be the same even if he quit the sport. Pitt budgets for in-state tuition.

Yes, I understand that is how it was the last several years of the EWL. I was under the impression that was changed at Pitt in the last couple of years, which also corresponded to Peters' first highly ranked class. In other words, I was of the belief Pitt wrestling is fully, fully funded now.

Last edited:
Also, the program budget never came close to the top competitive programs. The majority of you on here bi;:%ch about Stottlemyer's tenure at Pitt, but he NEVER had money to work with and then you turn around and brag about how you withheld $ from the program. When Jack Spates was here as the assistant we beat Lehigh for the first time in a long time. We ended up having a great year that year. He was making around $10,000 with 4 children. He wanted to stay here. He went to the administration and begged for a better salary so that he could stay. He was refused; Army offered him a better salary and he left. We could not keep good coaches on the salaries Pitt offered. There are numerous ways for a program to be fully funded.

Speaking of Spates - his kid would be an interesting choice...

Yes, I understand that is how it was the last several years of the EWL. I was under the impression that was changed at Pitt in the last couple of years, which also corresponded to Peters' first highly ranked class. In other words, I was of the belief Pitt wrestling is fully, fully funded now.

Yeah - I thought the same.

Peters told me that Pitt was fully funded. I have heard nothing from anyone in the program that has said otherwise.

thom67, are you confident Santoro was not offered a better salary than Lehigh? I've been told he was actually offered 75K more to take the Pitt job. It wasn't a salary issue.
I have no idea what anybody was offered. I just said to offer Terry that much because I believe he would take it.

I don't know what 33 Rocks is talking about. There is an NCAA limit on the number of scholarships any school can offer. For years, Pitt didn't offer all the scholarships it could. Recently, it has. Fully funded has nothing to do with the costs of attending school beyond the scholarships. A scholarship is all the school can offer. Most wrestlers only get partial scholarships and have to fund the rest of their educations themselves. If he is suggesting that Pitt should fund that portion of their college educations, that would be a clear violation of NCAA rules.

Getting back to who is to blame for the colossal train wreck that our wrestling hire has become, I don't think it is correct to blame the search committee. They had both Santoro and Flynn ready to take the job. I don't think either would have agreed to an interview had they not been assured that the University was ready to financially commit to the needed upgrade in facilities and the additional funds to upgrade the staff. And I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that Juhl would have given those assurances without the prior consent of the Chancellor.

All the new AD had to do was confirm those commitments and offer Santoro the job. She chose not to. Instead, she inexplicably chose to ignore the committee and go after Roselli -- and apparently didn't even contact him until after she had met with Santoro and given him the accurate impression that he was not her choice for the job.

She screwed the pooch, big time. Now, she is reduced to interviewing a coach who was fired at Army and now is in an administrative post at WVU. She needs to pack her bags and return to EMU immediately.

I don't know what 33 Rocks is talking about. There is an NCAA limit on the number of scholarships any school can offer. For years, Pitt didn't offer all the scholarships it could. Recently, it has. Fully funded has nothing to do with the costs of attending school beyond the scholarships. A scholarship is all the school can offer. Most wrestlers only get partial scholarships and have to fund the rest of their educations themselves. If he is suggesting that Pitt should fund that portion of their college educations, that would be a clear violation of NCAA rules.

Getting back to who is to blame for the colossal train wreck that our wrestling hire has become, I don't think it is correct to blame the search committee. They had both Santoro and Flynn ready to take the job. I don't think either would have agreed to an interview had they not been assured that the University was ready to financially commit to the needed upgrade in facilities and the additional funds to upgrade the staff. And I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that Juhl would have given those assurances without the prior consent of the Chancellor.

All the new AD had to do was confirm those commitments and offer Santoro the job. She chose not to. Instead, she inexplicably chose to ignore the committee and go after Roselli -- and apparently didn't even contact him until after she had met with Santoro and given him the accurate impression that he was not her choice for the job.

She screwed the pooch, big time. Now, she is reduced to interviewing a coach who was fired at Army and now is in an administrative post at WVU. She needs to pack her bags and return to EMU immediately.

All because she botched the hiring of the wrestling coach? There might be twenty people total who follow Pitt Wrestling.

Let's judge her on Football and Basketball before we tell her to go back to EMU

Not sure anyone can convince me that an AD a week on the job can walk in and undercut what Juhl and Gallagher gave assurances to. If someone undercut me I just hired they would be gone. And if they did give consent to committing money to the program guessing Lyke can't take that away this quick. Too much info coming from "I know a guy". Who knows maybe the funding was to take place over too long a period for the candidates liking and they took themselves out of the running so the rumors blame the AD.

Reactions: pittdan77
All because she botched the hiring of the wrestling coach? There might be twenty people total who follow Pitt Wrestling.

Let's judge her on Football and Basketball before we tell her to go back to EMU
It's admittedly maximum hyperbole, but you're saying that someone who couldn't take care of a goldfish should be in charge of a children's daycare center?

I think that facilities and budget were an issue. But Santoro and Flynn were ready to come or they wouldn't have interviewed. Part of the blame goes beyond Lyke. The big guys took too long to hire an AD. The timing sucked for wrestling. We should have had an AD and a budget before NCAA's. The AD should have been in St. Louis, and the new coach should have been at the PWC. They had since January to line up financial support, and it is out there. She is tip of the Incompetence Iceberg.
BINGO! A man with a brain!
PITT approached the timing for hiring an AD like they were hiring someone to bag burgers at Burger King. No sense of URGENCY! No organizational speed!
It's interesting PITT took forever to hire an AD and they still might have f'd it up??
We'll see!

It's admittedly maximum hyperbole, but you're saying that someone who couldn't take care of a goldfish should be in charge of a children's daycare center?

No one on here has any idea on exactly what happened, it's all stories from I know a guy, I had heard this and so on.

Did anyone sit in on the interview? No one knows for sure exactly what is going on.

And I'd rather have the person running my daycare to have their eyes on the most important prize, the children, than worrying about the goldfish in the corner.

Not sure anyone can convince me that an AD a week on the job can walk in and undercut what Juhl and Gallagher gave assurances to. If someone undercut me I just hired they would be gone. And if they did give consent to committing money to the program guessing Lyke can't take that away this quick. Too much info coming from "I know a guy". Who knows maybe the funding was to take place over too long a period for the candidates liking and they took themselves out of the running so the rumors blame the AD.
This seems more likely than a lot of the speculation about this hire.

Mike - I feel like you can save yourself a crap-ton of typing by just posting this each time you have a comment:

D7fUMHb.jpg

Reactions: persp
To be fair you do not know what she was given to work with to get a new coach. You can offer Flynn and Santoro a high salary but unless the money is there to commit to assistants and upgrades they are not coming.

New to the board but a lifelong Pitt fan and wrestling fan from PA. From the outside looking in, this search is maddening. Santoro and Flynn pass, possibly using Pitt simply for leverage unless the rumors about the lack of admin commitment are true. Other names tossed in the mix fall flat except Brands, who isn't coming. So frustrating considering the built-in advantages that are sitting on the table like recruiting in the region, Young Guns, etc.
Any good news to pass this way?

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Why should we say anymore? People think it's gossip, they aren't comprehending and still insist that the coaches who were interviewed were doing it for leverage, that Pitt wasn't offering enough, etc. I never said I knew a guy. I said I talked with the horses. That means I got my facts straight from the horses' mouths! I'm done wasting my time on here.

Why should we say anymore? People think it's gossip, they aren't comprehending and still insist that the coaches who were interviewed were doing it for leverage, that Pitt wasn't offering enough, etc. I never said I knew a guy. I said I talked with the horses. That means I got my facts straight from the horses' mouths! I'm done wasting my time on here.

Cat ..... keep posting what you find out, some of us appreciate the information.

I feel your pain. With so much bad news, I'm at a crossroads of trying to decide which is worse: more bad news, or no news at all?

To be fair you do not know what she was given to work with to get a new coach. You can offer Flynn and Santoro a high salary but unless the money is there to commit to assistants and upgrades they are not coming.
Does this problem sound familiar???
When your roof falls down you look at it, understand the problem and fix it so its doesn't fall down again.
This has happened over, and over again in different PITT sports.
Isnt it time to fix the "freakin" roof once and for all!

I actually am beginning to think PITT admin doesn't understand the problem or D1 U sports management??

This is the point I've reached too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT