ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guilty pleasure movies......

Barfly with Faye Dunaway and Mickey Roarke. I also loved Kickass a movie everyone I knew hated.

I hope you didn't like Boogie Nights because of Dirk Diggler. ;)

One of my favorites is Animal House. It was really ripped by the 'critics', but made millions.
Well it wasn't because of Amber Waves or Chest Rockwell (one of the most classic names ever in cinema), that's for sure.

The Notebook
BMX Bandits
Sgt. Bilko
The Warriors

I'm not a big movie guy and I don't really get why people would watch a movie because it's bad. That seems counterintuitive to me.

However, some films that I like that others seem so-so on - or flat out dislike - include:

The Beach
What About Bob
So, I Married an Ax Murderer
There Will Be Blood
Barcelona
Four Weddings and a Funeral
The Other Guys

I'm sure there are others but those immediately spring to mind.
I love So I Married an Ax Murderder-that cracks me up. Also love the old flick Airplane.

Commando and The Brady Bunch movie are two that come to mind. I thought Peter's Health teacher was so hot in that movie.

Tombstone is a fantastic western. Val Kilmer's best role, Powers Booths and Michael Boehm are great, and Sam Elliott and Charlton Heston with Robert Mitchum narrating? Plus so many great lines!

Anyhow, real guilty pleasures:

Weekend at Bernies
Weekend at Bernies II
Flashdance
Road House
Any Transporter movie
Any Luc Besson movie
Rumble in the Bronx
Die Hard -,the original or the one with the Apple guy

Roadhouse and point break are 2 great ones. Patrick swayze and john candy, 2 great actors that were taken way too early.

Roadhouse and point break are 2 great ones. Patrick swayze and john candy, 2 great actors that were taken way too early.

Oh yeah, musts......but Sam Elliott and Ben Gazarra in Roadhouse and Gary Busey and John McGinley in PointBreak were the scene stealers. Both are definitely guilty pleasures and I have to at least watch some parts when they are on.

By the way, I was kidding about Mannequin.

Let's see.......Bfast Club. Revenge of the Nerds Part I (yinz said "guilty", right?), Pushing Tin, Empire Records (again, you said "guilty" but killer soundtrack) and especially.....DAZED AND CONFUSED. And Clerks.

Tombstone is a fantastic western. Val Kilmer's best role, Powers Booths and Michael Boehm are great, and Sam Elliott and Charlton Heston with Robert Mitchum narrating? Plus so many great lines!

Anyhow, real guilty pleasures:

Weekend at Bernies
Weekend at Bernies II
Flashdance
Road House
Any Transporter movie
Any Luc Besson movie
Rumble in the Bronx
Die Hard -,the original or the one with the Apple guy
No need for "Roadhouse" to be considered a guilty pleasure. I've never met a guy who didn't include it in their personal Top Ten.;)

Blades of Glory, so dumb it was funny.
National Lampoon's Vacation...

Edit: I just realized my original response sounded a bit strange..editing.

Last edited:
No love for Sharknado???

And one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures - "Can't Buy Me Love" with Patrick Dempsey.

Several of the movies mentioned I'm sure were a critical success.

Comedies: D.C. Cab, The Money Pit, Most any Sandler movie, MacGruber, Dodgeball, Eurotrip, Hall Pass, Couple's Retreat, Year One, Johnny Dangerously
Others: 2012, Battleship, Clash of the Titans, Tank, The Last Star Fighter, King Solomon's Mines (w/ Richard Chamberlain) Armageddon, Tango & Cash, The Day After Tomorrow

I'm not a big movie guy and I don't really get why people would watch a movie because it's bad. That seems counterintuitive to me.

However, some films that I like that others seem so-so on - or flat out dislike - include:

The Beach
What About Bob
So, I Married an Ax Murderer
There Will Be Blood
Barcelona
Four Weddings and a Funeral
The Other Guys

I'm sure there are others but those immediately spring to mind.

Haha. Well, you don't watch the movie because its bad. You watch it because you find it entertaining. You know its crap, yet for whatever reason, you like it. ...Its like watching several college football on any given Saturday, people find some games wildly entertaining even though the quality of play is crap.

I guess I'm just not a huge fan of film. Too often they just bore me to tears.

Until I met my wife, I don't think I ever watched any movie more than once. Once you know the outcome, what's the fun in watching it again? That's why I'm not real big on the conference channels or ESPN Classic. I mean why on earth would anyone re-watch the 2011 Independence Bowl?

Nowadays, I will stop and re-watch certain comedies but again, not often.

What I really don't get - and will probably never get - is the zombie thing. I mean seriously, what the hell is that all about? It just seems so bizarre that an entire industry has been built around something that everyone acknowledges up front is ridiculous. Again, I just can't get into that mentality. It's cool that other people do but it's just not for me.

I guess I'm just not a huge fan of film. Too often they just bore me to tears.

Until I met my wife, I don't think I ever watched any movie more than once. Once you know the outcome, what's the fun in watching it again? That's why I'm not real big on the conference channels or ESPN Classic. I mean why on earth would anyone re-watch the 2011 Independence Bowl?

Nowadays, I will stop and re-watch certain comedies but again, not often.

What I really don't get - and will probably never get - is the zombie thing. I mean seriously, what the hell is that all about? It just seems so bizarre that an entire industry has been built around something that everyone acknowledges up front is ridiculous. Again, I just can't get into that mentality. It's cool that other people do but it's just not for me.

Yeah, I am not into Zombies or even all of these Superheroes. I mean Batman and Superman was fine, Stars Wars was fantasy and great....just don't need every comic book character ever made to be made into a feature length movie.

I love all the X-men movies, because I'm a geek.

Of course, I'm someone who will also reread books I enjoy several times, same with movies and TV shows.

Hell, I've obsessively been rewatching all the NYPD Blue's in HD which are re-airing on Audience, even though I've watched most of the series probably 5-6 times.

Several of the movies mentioned I'm sure were a critical success.

Comedies: D.C. Cab, The Money Pit, Most any Sandler movie, MacGruber, Dodgeball, Eurotrip, Hall Pass, Couple's Retreat, Year One, Johnny Dangerously
Others: 2012, Battleship, Clash of the Titans, Tank, The Last Star Fighter, King Solomon's Mines (w/ Richard Chamberlain) Armageddon, Tango & Cash, The Day After Tomorrow

"You farging icehole". Love Johnny Dangerously. Good call.

I watch scenes from Slapshot on Youtube all the time. I laugh every time. Shawshank redemption is a movie that I can watch over and over, but hard to call such a great film a guilty pleasure.

I always watch Dumb and Dumber if it is on....I can't help it.

As for Zombies...I'm usually not into Zombies, but Zombieland is another movie that I will watch if it is on.

I watch scenes from Slapshot on Youtube all the time. I laugh every time. Shawshank redemption is a movie that I can watch over and over, but hard to call such a great film a guilty pleasure.

I always watch Dumb and Dumber if it is on....I can't help it.

As for Zombies...I'm usually not into Zombies, but Zombieland is another movie that I will watch if it is on.
Zombieland is a great flick - "tippity top".

Whenever I can, especially when I need to be cheered up, a guilty pleasure is Revolutionary Road. Just great fun, one liners and comedic genius.

I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry
Tropic Thunder
I know who I am! I'm the dude playin' a dude, disguised as another dude!

Reactions: USN_Panther
If I see Smokey and the Bandit on TV, and its not too edited, I have to watch it. Its hard to find it on premium channels any more.

Agree - Smokey and the Bandit.

Also the first half of Cannonball Run is a must watch every time for me.

Tom cruise in tropic thunder might be his greatest acting performance ever

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT