ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penguins

Much needed performance! What a difference to have Marino and Dumoulin back. Instead of Jack Johnson getting 23 minutes on the top pairing, our two studs are back and he can move down to a more appropriate role. Time to pay back Buffalo on Thursday!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Much needed performance! What a difference to have Marino and Dumoulin back. Instead of Jack Johnson getting 23 minutes on the top pairing, our two studs are back and he can move down to a more appropriate role. Time to pay back Buffalo on Thursday!
Yeah.....people just forget how good these two are. I cannot believe how smooth and seasoned Marino looks.

Yeah.....people just forget how good these two are. I cannot believe how smooth and seasoned Marino looks.

Marino is clearly the kind of prospect hit this team had to have in order to continue being a legit contender. Excellent work from the front office - a core building block player - out of thin air basically.

Marino is clearly the kind of prospect hit this team had to have in order to continue being a legit contender. Excellent work from the front office - a core building block player - out of thin air basically.
That's exactly it. What separates say the Pens from the Kings or Hawks is while the Pens have given up most of their 1st rd picks over the past decade, guys like Murray, Guentzel, Rust, and now Marino have basically performed like top 10 draft picks at affordable rates.

That's exactly it. What separates say the Pens from the Kings or Hawks is while the Pens have given up most of their 1st rd picks over the past decade, guys like Murray, Guentzel, Rust, and now Marino have basically performed like top 10 draft picks at affordable rates.

And on top of that - a couple handfuls of useful system players like Blueger, Sheary, Lafferty, Das Kuhn, etc....

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love it if JR would hold on to a few more picks than he likes to, BUT the NHL’s draft system allows for teams to make up the difference with college free agents. And with more and more talent filtering through NCAA hockey than ever before — combined with the draft age being 20 — there are always going to be players available from the college level that are 1st or 2nd round caliber talents and can step right in and play.

It is interesting that the Penguins have gotten a lot from a group of internally developed players because it seems like their prospect pool has not been highly ranked for a very, very long time. The front office (last 2 regimes) has clearly done some good work in these areas.

One of Crosby's best and most important goals in a while makes it 4-2 vs. Buffalo.
Need more of this.
Great backhand.
That was an amazing goal. The Pens played an excellent game tonight. They seem to be back on track. The Caps and Canes back-to-back this weekend. Both have been struggling so let’s hope that continues.

In other news, the Rangers are now only 2 points out of a wild card after an OT win over the Caps. Zibenejad scored 5 goals including the winner. He is only the 3rd player in NYR history with 5 goals in a game. Considering they have been around 100 years, that’s amazing.

The Rangers are 50/50 to make the playoffs this year, but whether they make it or not, they are going to be a problem for years to come. Good mix of star talent and great young players. They just need to solve the Lundqvist issue, but their hands are tied there.

Philly came outta now wheres and is now tied for first , my guess they eek into the 2nd wildcard, if the NHL is still calling it that these days.

Philly came outta now wheres and is now tied for first , my guess they eek into the 2nd wildcard, if the NHL is still calling it that these days.
The Islanders, Carolina and Columbus are treading water right now and none of them are as dangerous as Philly or the Rangers so I am now a believer in both, as much as that pains me.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
In other news, the Rangers are now only 2 points out of a wild card after an OT win over the Caps. Zibenejad scored 5 goals including the winner. He is only the 3rd player in NYR history with 5 goals in a game. Considering they have been around 100 years, that’s amazing.

The Rangers are 50/50 to make the playoffs this year, but whether they make it or not, they are going to be a problem for years to come. Good mix of star talent and great young players. They just need to solve the Lundqvist issue, but their hands are tied there.
Z had 5 goals?? Wow! I can proudly say I have seen a player score 5 goals live, twice. Same guy, Same building. Same team.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Listened to the game on the road on XM tonight, and two thoughts:

1. I know their play-by-play guy has had some good calls over the years but my goodness is he over the hill. Hoarse, scratchy voice all game.

2. Sounds like we’re close to where we were before the slump. Nice pressure early on. Hopefully we can take advantage of the struggling Caps and Canes this weekend and make a move for a top two seed in the Metro.

1. I know their play-by-play guy has had some good calls over the years but my goodness is he over the hill. Hoarse, scratchy voice all game.

2. Sounds like we’re close to where we were before the slump. Nice pressure early on. Hopefully we can take advantage of the struggling Caps and Canes this weekend and make a move for a top two seed in the Metro.
I heard the Buffalo announcer too, thought he might croke between periods/ was the worst voice I ever remember and had to turn on Bob Errey who isnt much better.

Well right now, it is just a matter of where they finish. It is pretty obvious, barring a collapse by any of the 3, it looks like the Pens are set with either a Philly/Wash or Wash/Philly opening to the playoffs. Just what is in play, is who has home ice. Even a 4th place finish is going to yield one of those two opponents.

Lange's voice really is deteriorating, but he isn't helped by the absolutely awful sound quality on those broadcasts. It often sounds like listening to a baseball game on AM radio on an old transistor radio back in the day. Except frequently even worse than that.

Zibenejad is a GOOD hockey player.

Lange's voice really is deteriorating, but he isn't helped by the absolutely awful sound quality on those broadcasts. It often sounds like listening to a baseball game on AM radio on an old transistor radio back in the day. Except frequently even worse than that.
You’re not wrong. I feel like his problem isn’t necessarily how he projects his voice but how he’s slowed down a bit in his projection, making it harder to follow the play.

But still, this Buffalo guy was like 100x worse. Going to be a sad day when Lange retires.

Surprised yinz are so upbeat after Murray stole us a game. He made what - half a dozen amazing saves? No defense means no shot in the playoffs.

Surprised yinz are so upbeat after Murray stole us a game. He made what - half a dozen amazing saves? No defense means no shot in the playoffs.
I am upbeat on the fact that a goalie did in fact "steal us a game". That has to be done occasionally and we haven't seen it for awhile.

Nonetheless, some of the same extended zone time in our defensive end was concerning.

I am upbeat on the fact that a goalie did in fact "steal us a game". That has to be done occasionally and we haven't seen it for awhile.

Nonetheless, some of the same extended zone time in our defensive end was concerning.

It certainly feels good to win a couple. Need to get back to that groove we had in January. Play like that again and anything is possible.

Last edited:
This is putting the wagon before the horse, but entertain me for a second:

- Let’s assume the Pens make it to the second round and all forwards are healthy, meaning we get Guentzel back.
- Let’s also assume the top two lines would be Zucker/Crosby/Sheary and Marleau/Malkin/Guentzel, and the two wings on the third line would be McCann/Rust.

1. Does Bjugstad return to 3C or does Blueger remain there?
2. Going off of that, how would you fill the fourth line out? One of the two mentioned above would be at center and Hornqvist would likely be at RW, leaving the LW vacant. Options are Aston-Reese, Tanev, Rodrigues, and Simon (I guess, I know he’s a RW). Does one stand out among the rest as being a better fit?

Correct. Murray and Fleury have stolen games in the playoffs. It’s almost needed to make a deep run/win the cup.

And I can’t recall the name but the didn’t the 3rd stringer basically steal one too a few years back. Against the Rangers maybe?

This is putting the wagon before the horse, but entertain me for a second:

- Let’s assume the Pens make it to the second round and all forwards are healthy, meaning we get Guentzel back.
- Let’s also assume the top two lines would be Zucker/Crosby/Sheary and Marleau/Malkin/Guentzel, and the two wings on the third line would be McCann/Rust.

1. Does Bjugstad return to 3C or does Blueger remain there?
2. Going off of that, how would you fill the fourth line out? One of the two mentioned above would be at center and Hornqvist would likely be at RW, leaving the LW vacant. Options are Aston-Reese, Tanev, Rodrigues, and Simon (I guess, I know he’s a RW). Does one stand out among the rest as being a better fit?

First, let me say that I don’t believe that Jake Guentzel will be back at all this season regardless of how far the Penguins advance. In fact, I think that’s a major part of the reason why they traded for a rental in Marleau in the first place.

However, for the sake of this exercise, let’s assume that I’m wrong and we have a full lineup. I think it would probably look something like this — at least at least to start.

L1: Zucker/Crosby/Sheary
L2: Guentzel/Malkin/Rust
L3: McCann/Bjugstad/Hornqvist
L4: Tanev/Blueger/Aston-Reese
Extras: Marleau, Simon, Rodrigues

D1: Dumoulin/Letang
D2: Pettersson/Marino
D3: Johnson/Schultz

G1: Murray
G2: Jarry

Rationale:
1.) I actually think Guentzel is going to play with Crosby when he comes back (next year). I think he is the perfect player to complement Crosby because Guentzel is such a smart player and he can think the game at the same level. The only other winger Crosby has ever had that was like that was Chris Kunitz. Also, I think Zucker and Rust would be really good wingers for Geno because their speed would create room for him.

2.) If he can stay healthy, I actually like Bjugstad better than McCann in the middle of the third line. You need a right handed center iceman and he’s the only one on the entire roster.

3.) Patrick Marleau is obviously a Hall of Fame player and he too is a very intelligent player. He’s always in the right spot. However, I’m still not sure exactly where he fits here? I’m not convinced that they have found his niche just yet. I would love for it to be on the second line with Malkin and Rust, but that’s primarily because I really like Rust on the right side better than on the left side.

4.) Hornqvist is playing his best hockey in a couple of years and if he continues to create chances like he has a a few months now, he too is going to get more and more playing time. He has to have it — his play demands it.

5.) I would not touch that fourth line. They’ve been the Penguins’ most consistent line all season long and they are ideal for their role.

6.) I agree with Cougs that last night was not the Pens’ best game. Honestly, I thought the previous game against Ottawa was also very sloppy. However, it shows you a lot about their talent that they can play pretty poorly and still win fairly comfortably. They probably still have a few more games to break in these players and then they are going to have to clamp down. There are now just 16 regular season games left and the money is now on the table.

7.) i’ve never really cared about winning the division. I don’t think home ice advantage is a big deal at all and the division title is meaningless to me too.

However, I do think it would be meaningful this year because after watching Washington and Philadelphia play the other night, I think that series would be an absolute war and a really good team would get knocked out the first round. I don’t think the Islanders, the Hurricanes or the Rangers are quite at that level. They are definitely all good enough to beat the Penguins, but none of them are good enough to beat the Penguins four out of seven if the Penguins are playing well.

Last edited:
Reactions: CougarClaws
First, let me say that I don’t believe that Jake Guentzel will be back at all this season regardless of how far the Penguins advance. In fact, I think that’s a major part of the reason why they traded for a rental in Marleau in the first place.

However, for the sake of this exercise, let’s assume that I’m wrong and we have a full lineup. I think it would probably look something like this — at least at least to start.

I'd be surprised if they played ZAR over a health-scratched Marleau in a playoff game.

You know, I would not. I could certainly see them scratching Sheary for Marleau, but not Aston-Reese. I just would not touch that fourth line if I didn’t have to and I also believe that Aston-Reese is the best defensive forward on the entire team.

ZAR is just a really responsible player in all three zones and he is excellent along the wall. Crosby is the only player on the team better along the boards than Aston-Reese. ZAR also kills penalties very well. That is why I just don’t believe that he would be scratched if he was healthy. I think it’s too much of a risk.

Reactions: CougarClaws
The Buffalo announcer is Rick Jeanneret. He has been doing Sabres games since their 2nd season of existence (which means he’s been with the Sabres about 3 years longer than Lange with the Pens). He was a pretty good and entertaining announcer in his heyday and his goal calls are pretty fun to listen to if you go on YouTube. They are ever bit as fun as Lange’s but a lot more natural and spontaneous than Mikey’s canned sayings.

He definitely has fallen off the cliff as an announcer, but like Lange and Hillgrove and others, Father Time is a son of a bitch.

Last edited:
You know, I would not. I could certainly see them scratching Sheary for Marleau, but not Aston-Reese. I just would not touch that fourth line if I didn’t have to and I also believe that Aston-Reese is the best defensive forward on the entire team.

ZAR is just a really responsible player in all three zones and he is excellent along the wall. Crosby is the only player on the team better along the boards than Aston-Reese. ZAR also kills penalties very well. That is why I just don’t believe that he would be scratched if he was healthy. I think it’s too much of a risk.

Fair point. I think Bjugstad is the other guy I question. His ability to play center and his size will keep him in there. I think they like McCann on the wing, but he could be moved inside to allow Marleau to be swapped in.

Rationale:
1.) I actually think Guentzel is going to play with Crosby when he comes back (next year). I think he is the perfect player to complement Crosby because Guentzel is such a smart player and he can think the game at the same level. The only other winger Crosby has ever had that was like that was Chris Kunitz. Also, I think Zucker and Rust would be really good wingers for Geno because their speed would create room for him.

2.) If he can stay healthy, I actually like Bjugstad better than McCann in the middle of the third line. You need a right handed center iceman and he’s the only one on the entire roster.

3.) Patrick Marleau is obviously a Hall of Fame player and he too is a very intelligent player. He’s always in the right spot. However, I’m still not sure exactly where he fits here? I’m not convinced that they have found his niche just yet. I would love for it to be on the second line with Malkin and Rust, but that’s primarily because I really like Rust on the right side better than on the left side.

4.) Hornqvist is playing his best hockey in a couple of years and if he continues to create chances like he has a a few months now, he too is going to get more and more playing time. He has to have it — his play demands it.

5.) I would not touch that fourth line. They’ve been the Penguins’ most consistent line all season long and they are ideal for their role.

6.) I agree with Cougs that last night was not the Pens’ best game. Honestly, I thought the previous game against Ottawa was also very sloppy. However, it shows you a lot about their talent that they can play pretty poorly and still win fairly comfortably. They probably still have a few more games to break in these players and then they are going to have to clamp down. There are now just 16 regular season games left and the money is now on the table.

7.) i’ve never really cared about winning the division. I don’t think home ice advantage is a big deal at all and the division title is meaningless to me too.

However, I do think it would be meaningful this year because after watching Washington and Philadelphia play the other night, I think that series would be an absolute war and a really good team would get knocked out the first round. I don’t think the Islanders, the Hurricanes or the Rangers are quite at that level. They are definitely all good enough to beat the Penguins, but none of them are good enough to beat the Penguins four out of seven if the Penguins are playing well.
Remember that window closing back in 2015?

Look above. The Pens basically are going to have that entire lineup for the next 2 years after this one. That's unbelievable. Jim Rutherford has really done a great job in extending this run. Of course, Sid and Geno's health. Next year, obviously Schultz will be gone, Marleau, and likely one of the goalies will be moved for some assets.

So....they are going into next year essentially losing nothing and gaining Guentzel back.

ZAR is the Pens best defensive forward this year, and it's not even close IMO. And Coach has an almost irrational love afair with him to begin with. Sully is all-in on Zach Aston-Reese, they would mos def sit Sheary ahead of ZAR or Marleau.

Remember that window closing back in 2015?

Look above. The Pens basically are going to have that entire lineup for the next 2 years after this one. That's unbelievable. Jim Rutherford has really done a great job in extending this run. Of course, Sid and Geno's health. Next year, obviously Schultz will be gone, Marleau, and likely one of the goalies will be moved for some assets.

So....they are going into next year essentially losing nothing and gaining Guentzel back.

Sweet work from JR for sure - I never expected the window to go this long. Need to get lucky with another D next year, and hope Poulin and his complete CHL game is ready. And I hope they don't cave on McCann for 3mil+, nobody is going to offer-sheet him at this point.

Can you imagine what would happen if Murray got hot again for these playoffs? What an offseason it would be, JR dealing with that....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT