ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

As a hockey fan and hater of the Boston Bruins, I would love to see them exit in the 1st round after their historically great season. What a fabulous upset this would be if Florida can pull it off. If it happens, I can't wait to see the look on the face of that weasel Marchand.
I'd like to see @goalieman thoughts on that second goal. There's a lot of net to shoot at there, but Swayman was down and moving to his blocker side well before the shot that went in high to the glove side.
I just love to see a team like this year's version of the Bruins crash and burn due to goaltending. Especially with that goofy little dancy huggy thing those guys do.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Replace the Pens with the Panthers....it's 4-2 or 5-1 to Boston. Florida was outstanding this series and well outstanding down the stretch.
Florida was pretty damn good but I thought they got plenty of help from Boston who clearly played tight and made alot of turnovers and dumb plays the entire series. Their goaltending was subpar as well, finding out that the Staney Cup Playoffs are just a bit different than the regular season.

KRAKEN BEAT AVALANCHE TO WIN SERIES !!!!!!! ..... GREAT night of Hockey !!!!!!
A friend from the ice hockey club is from Seattle and a huge Kraken fan. I haven't texted him as he watches the replays after work, so don't want to spoil that moment for him. He'll probably miss work tomorrow lol.

Madden's article in the Trib criticizes the pens for losing one of their restricted free agents who is returning to Sweden after not getting a fair chance to play with the big team. As awful as our 3-4 lines were, I have to agree with Madden on this (a rarity). Sullivan and the management team did a lousy job of assembling a team and leaving no room for their prospects to develop.

They will have to hit the undrafted free agent/college market again this year in search of prospects as the cupboard is bare and the draft capital is small thanks to some awful trades.

Last edited:
Madden's article in the Trib criticizes the pens for losing one of their restricted free agents who is returning to Sweden after not getting a fair chance to play with the big team. As awful as our 3-4 lines were, I have to agree with Madden on this (a rarity). Sullivan and the management team did a lousy job of assembling a team and leaving no room for their prospects to develop.

They will have to hit the undrafted free agent/college market again this year in search of prospects as the cupboard is bare and the draft capital is small thanks to some awful trades.
Looks like the Pirates have a brighter future than the Pens. At least the next 4 years.

Tremendous that Boston lost! Love it! Their sports fans have demonstrated that they greatly deserve painful losses. And nobody will admit it, but sports is driven by hatred of other teams and fanbases. It’s no fun seeing upstanding clean teams and polite fanbases lose.

I didn’t watch any of it, my last experience watching Boston was when they systematically destroyed the Penguins near the end of the season. The Pens had obviously quit on the season by that time but played reasonably hard for awhile. But it was still impressive how systematically good Boston was. They just patiently ground the Penguins to dust. It was tough to imagine at that time that the Bruins could be bounced so early. It was unlike in past times when the Penguins gagged in early series. The Pens usually had great talent but zero discipline and terrible defense, so in retrospect not so hard to conceive they could get upset. Boston seemed much different.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I'm sure you understand the gravity of your statement. Wow. Just wow.
Flip side is the Pens produced six champions since the last time the Pirates even produced a playoff (series) team. So they should get credit at least for being mostly competitive these thirty years or so, unlike the Pirates. But that emphasis on the Pirates crappiness does indeed give an extra bad taste to that poster’s observation.

Especially considering the team still has three HOF players who will be active, each of whom were somewhat productive last season if not their peak (geez, Malkin played every game too ). Yet the team’s prospects still legitimately seem really bad.

Then again, Florida showed that often it takes just squeaking into the playoffs and pulling your sh1t together (and competent goaltending) to bring down the top team. The Pens, as dysfunctional as they were, still nearly made it in. They certainly could again. Just make some basic intelligent moves for the bottom lines and especially with the G and you just never know…

Anyone ever think all this talk about the bottom six is a crock?

Was Archibald, Poehing and OConnor capable bottom six?

How about McGuin and Heinen the previous year?

The problem was the goalie, the inability to play with the lead, the lack of physical play, Jeff Carter and mostly Coach Sullivan.

Last edited:
Flip side is the Pens produced six champions since the last time the Pirates even produced a playoff (series) team. So they should get credit at least for being mostly competitive these thirty years or so, unlike the Pirates. But that emphasis on the Pirates crappiness does indeed give an extra bad taste to that poster’s observation.

Especially considering the team still has three HOF players who will be active, each of whom were somewhat productive last season if not their peak (geez, Malkin played every game too ). Yet the team’s prospects still legitimately seem really bad.

Then again, Florida showed that often it takes just squeaking into the playoffs and pulling your sh1t together (and competent goaltending) to bring down the top team. The Pens, as dysfunctional as they were, still nearly made it in. They certainly could again. Just make some basic intelligent moves for the bottom lines and especially with the G and you just never know…

the Pens produced 6 champions since 2013?

Devils absolutely dominant tonight. Pretty much skating rings around them. They are young and fast and we will see them in a cup soon, might even be this year, but likely a little to soon.

Devils vs Rangers: who to root for?
It's like picking between Stalin and Hitler

Anyone watching the draft lottery? Hoping Bedard ends up in Anaheim or somewhere else in the west.

Anyone watching the draft lottery? Hoping Bedard ends up in Anaheim or somewhere else in the west.
Anaheim season ticket holder here. I knew as soon as it came down to Chicago and the Ducks they were giving it to the 3rd largest market and Original Six. All about $$$$

This happens all the time. The draft lottery is a farce and why it’s done behind closed doors. If they wanted to be completely transparent the lottery drawing would be live.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Anaheim season ticket holder here. I knew as soon as it came down to Chicago and the Ducks they were giving it to the 3rd largest market and Original Six. All about $$$$

This happens all the time. The draft lottery is a farce and why it’s done behind closed doors. If they wanted to be completely transparent the lottery drawing would be live.
I do feel for Ducks fans. I have a soft spot for them because I enjoyed those Getzlaf/Selanne teams (plus you guys gave us Kunitz). They lost out to Crosby and now Bedard.

I do feel for Ducks fans. I have a soft spot for them because I enjoyed those Getzlaf/Selanne teams (plus you guys gave us Kunitz). They lost out to Crosby and now Bedard.
Oh I know. I hear it all the time. I’m a Pens fan first and foremost but my wife is Ducks fan first and foremost! Haha. But I have become a Ducks fan. You can’t help it after going to many games. Would suck to just sit there and not cheer. 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT