ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USFL ??

Phillypanther2

Freshman
Oct 19, 2013
I’ll admit, I don’t pay much attention to the USFL and don’t know much about it.
But I accidentally turned on the Michigan - Houston game, and there are about 75 people in the stands. What’s that about?
It’s not a Covid thing, are they only allowing family members into the games? If so why.
If all of the games are neutral sites with no fans in attendance, why not just call them team A,B,C, etc.
Maybe there’s a different plan, I’m not aware of. I hope so 😊

I’ll admit, I don’t pay much attention to the USFL and don’t know much about it.
But I accidentally turned on the Michigan - Houston game, and there are about 75 people in the stands. What’s that about?
It’s not a Covid thing, are they only allowing family members into the games? If so why.
If all of the games are neutral sites with no fans in attendance, why not just call them team A,B,C, etc.
Maybe there’s a different plan, I’m not aware of. I hope so 😊

Nobody is ever going to go to these games. It is purely for TV. This is why you will probably never see a Maulers game in Pittsburgh. Its a low-cost league where they house all the players in a few cities to take advantage of bulk housing discounts. Its like the Sam's Club of football.

Reactions: jctrack
i watched the maulers game last night, there were 25 people in the stands, i kid you not..

Nobody is ever going to go to these games. It is purely for TV. This is why you will probably never see a Maulers game in Pittsburgh. Its a low-cost league where they house all the players in a few cities to take advantage of bulk housing discounts. Its like the Sam's Club of football.
They’ve been pushing tickets to the Michigan Panthers hard here in Detroit, not sure if they include Philly Stars games that are played the same day, tickets are $10 to $40.

They seem to be attempting at drawing some sort of crowd, if it was purely a football version of "Studio Wrestling" the Maulers would be at Highmark Stadium.

i watched the maulers game last night, there were 25 people in the stands, i kid you not..
It might sound funny, but I’ve given up on trying to follow the Maulers after they threw out the first pitch at a Guardians game instead of a Pirates game (although I understand it might be because they’re playing their “home” games in Canton). They may have Pittsburgh in the name and their colors may be black and gold, but they just don’t feel like a Pittsburgh team to me.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
It might sound funny, but I’ve given up on trying to follow the Maulers after they threw out the first pitch at a Guardians game instead of a Pirates game (although I understand it might be because they’re playing their “home” games in Canton). They may have Pittsburgh in the name and their colors may be black and gold, but they just don’t feel like a Pittsburgh team to me.

They arent a Pgh team. They are owned by the USFL and have no affiliation with the city other than using its name. They could have named these teams the Anchorage Anchors or the Honolulu Hakas or the Maine Lobsters and it would be the same thing.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don't know the "end" game as far as exposure/money making that NFL wants from USFL. But compared to the XFl which i loosely watch. I could watch it and with the latter some crowds better than others in most cases right sized venues and crowd looks better and more interest. Playing at neutral sites with todays economy nobody wasting time following/traveling. Failing if tickets/viewership is the end game. As far as Mauler-USFL I personally would go to a reasonably priced game at Highmark. Product would look and feel better even in a local high school stadium than in a central site cavern. If NFL is funding they may progress to that next year as 1 last try to drum up any interest.

Reactions: pierre93
I was at my Son in laws house in Charlotte and turned on the Maulers game. It was as empty as I’ve ever seen. The attendance was putrid. We lost, but damn those Uni’s looked “Shaaaaaarp”.

I was at my Son in laws house in Charlotte and turned on the Maulers game. It was as empty as I’ve ever seen. The attendance was putrid. We lost, but damn those Uni’s looked “Shaaaaaarp”.
Empty yes but probably get good TV ratings. I'm hoping it succeeds

Reactions: bschulter
I don't know the "end" game as far as exposure/money making that NFL wants from USFL. But compared to the XFl which i loosely watch. I could watch it and with the latter some crowds better than others in most cases right sized venues and crowd looks better and more interest. Playing at neutral sites with todays economy nobody wasting time following/traveling. Failing if tickets/viewership is the end game. As far as Mauler-USFL I personally would go to a reasonably priced game at Highmark. Product would look and feel better even in a local high school stadium than in a central site cavern. If NFL is funding they may progress to that next year as 1 last try to drum up any interest.
I agree play it at Highmark for a few games etc.

Reactions: bschulter
We.......That's funny. With all the Brawndo induced pronoun craziness going around these days you would think there would be a new one for local USFL allegiances.

Reactions: Pitt1975
The USFL = XFL = LMNOPFL = Any other professional football league that is not the NFL = Almost impossible to watch.
I've been watching the XFL lately and they have been playing some entertaining games. the no XP kicks and 1-2 or 3 point conversions makes it interesting. of course in my world, college basketball is over, the Pens are eliminated so I won't watch anymore hockey and I don't really watch baseball or NBA so there aren't any sports on this time of year other than maybe a random soccer game I might watch.

I've been watching the XFL lately and they have been playing some entertaining games. the no XP kicks and 1-2 or 3 point conversions makes it interesting. of course in my world, college basketball is over, the Pens are eliminated so I won't watch anymore hockey and I don't really watch baseball or NBA so there aren't any sports on this time of year other than maybe a random soccer game I might watch.

You are also the ultimate television masochist and would Slippery Rock and Cal U than Alabama at Oklahoma, lol.

You are also the ultimate television masochist and would Slippery Rock and Cal U than Alabama at Oklahoma, lol.
It's not masochism if you really enjoy it more. Nothing I hate more than watching college sports blue bloods with the announcers felating them for 3 hours, well, unless they're playing Pitt.

At some point you run out of leisure viewing time. I used my usfl/xfl time for watching star wars and marvel series

At some point you run out of leisure viewing time. I used my usfl/xfl time for watching star wars and marvel series
that wouldn't work for me, to me Star Trek>Star Wars not even close, I haven't seen any Star Wars after the original first 2, and I hate all Super Hero, Marvel, DC comics stuff, I only like the 1960s TV Batman with Adam West, anything after that I don't like.

Reactions: NTOP
It’s somehow fitting for these times that all their teams have cities associated with the team names, but don’t play in those cities.

It would be kinda cool and different if they listed other random cities for the teams. They will never play there so it doesnt really matter.

Myrtle Beach
Bronx
Honolulu
Anchorage
Reno
Bozeman (playing off a Yellowstone theme)
Selma (historical signifance)
Gettysburg (historical significance)

Or do a Game of Thrones theme

Kings Landing
Winterfell
Qarth
Dorne
Dragonstone
Essos
Valyria

It would be kinda cool and different if they listed other random cities for the teams. They will never play there so it doesnt really matter.

Myrtle Beach
Bronx
Honolulu
Anchorage
Reno
Bozeman (playing off a Yellowstone theme)
Selma (historical signifance)
Gettysburg (historical significance)

Or do a Game of Thrones theme

Kings Landing
Winterfell
Qarth
Dorne
Dragonstone
Essos
Valyria
That would be more like that Spring League they had a few years ago where the teams just had names and no city, like the Aviators or the Alphas. The USFL is actually the Spring League, they just bought the trademarks and logos of the USFL and it did kind of give them a little cred.

It's like working remote.
It may as well be like watching ESPN when it shows video games competitions. “Virtual Unreality” was a term I’d heard somewhere for all this kind of crap. I’m sure the guys play hard and the injuries they get are very real but nothing else about it is.

That would be more like that Spring League they had a few years ago where the teams just had names and no city, like the Aviators or the Alphas. The USFL is actually the Spring League, they just bought the trademarks and logos of the USFL and it did kind of give them a little cred.

Yea but The Bronx Aviators sounds better than just the Aviators. I dont know, I'd be more interested in a Honolulu vs Anchorage game than Pittsburgh vs New Jersey

It may as well be like watching ESPN when it shows video games competitions. “Virtual Unreality” was a term I’d heard somewhere for all this kind of crap. I’m sure the guys play hard and the injuries they get are very real but nothing else about it is.
Actually, it is real football, and several players got to the NFL from there, the USFL's MVP from last year, I think it's DeVonte Turpin, made the NFL pro bowl as a KR after signing with the Cowboys, so it is a developmental league for guys that don't want to give up the dream..

Actually, it is real football, and several players got to the NFL from there, the USFL's MVP from last year, I think it's DeVonte Turpin, made the NFL pro bowl as a KR after signing with the Cowboys, so it is a developmental league for guys that don't want to give up the dream..
I hear Him Hate Me is on the verge of a signing. Package deal with Rock Richmond and Pig Smith.

I kinda miss the old World League.

London Monarchs
Rhein Fire
Frankfurt Galaxy
Barcelona Dragons

Something about watching 9AM football in April on Fox in an empty stadium

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT