ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Signals Raining Down

Gonna assume one is the RB from Texas which would be nice. Need to keep adding speed on offense.

Also looks like there were a few CBs on 247 for the big WR from Florida.

The kid throws some devastating blocks. Looks like George Aston. Lines up at fullback some.

Love it and that’s fun to watch. But hopefully Krull has been just near as good as Duzz has been crowing. They desperately could use a TE who can be a threat in the passing game.

Yes the RB Che from TX is one with a nice offer sheet. That makes 2 TX commits and its great to see us recruiting that state. Marion is the reason for that. H2P!

Reactions: USN_Panther
So we know 3 / 4 at this time - right?

Cole Mitchell TE - 21
Camden Brown WR - 22
Che Nwabuko ATH - 22
?

A lot of these recruits are not that highly rated by Rivals, but…

At this point in the recruiting cycle I trust this staff.
I fully trust this staff with defensive recruiting. They have shown the ability to find and develop a ton of underrated players there. Offense has been very different…

I fully trust this staff with defensive recruiting. They have shown the ability to find and develop a ton of underrated players there. Offense has been very different…

They've shown the ability to find guys that fit the scheme in the back 7 who perform well above their rating or offers. Guys like Hallett, Dennis, Bright, Pinnock, Woods, and to a lesser extent Mathis, Davis, and Campbell as their offer sheets were a little better.

On offense, I think a lack of consistency has hurt them with all the staff turnover. Maybe Whip transitioning to Marion will help. Not sure anyone can find issue with the RB or WR commits. The OL commit is a project, but any 6'7" long armed behemoth that can move out of Florida that Pitt gets is going to be a project. Otherwise, he'd have 50 offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: gary2
They've shown the ability to find guys that fit the scheme in the back 7 who perform well above their rating or offers. Guys like Hallett, Dennis, Bright, Pinnock, Woods, and to a lesser extent Mathis, Davis, and Campbell as their offer sheets were a little better.

On offense, I think a lack of consistency has hurt them with all the staff turnover. Maybe Whip transitioning to Marion will help. Not sure anyone can find issue with the RB or WR commits. The OL commit is a project, but any 6'7" long armed behemoth that can move out of Florida that Pitt gets is going to be a project. Otherwise, he'd have 50 offers.
They have also been able to find guys on the defensive line like Patrick Jones, calijah kancey, etc Who have exceeded their offers as well.
I think you are right about staff consistency being a problem on the offense. The only player I can think of on offense who has played above his offer list is Matt Goncalves. And really it is probably still too early to tell whether he is going to be a productive player for a while for us.

I was on the plane with Nonar yesterday. He's very, very tall (I'm 6'3" and noticed her barely fit on the plane) but thin for OT. I thought he was a DE. So obviously, he needs to bulk up. But historically guys that come in at that height without a ton of extra weight are super-athletes and have great footwork so their ceiling is extremely high if they can find the mass.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
On offense, I think a lack of consistency has hurt them with all the staff turnover. Maybe Whip transitioning to Marion will help. Not sure anyone can find issue with the RB or WR commits.

I feel like there’s room for a different viewpoint when it comes to recruits with a middle of the road 3* ranking.

We rarely use a fullback in this offense. Almost no team does anymore.
As they shouldn’t. If our offense is going to consist of having a fullback on the field, the entire thing needs to be burned to the ground. There’s just no way we are going back to the Stone Age.

We rarely use a fullback in this offense. Almost no team does anymore.
This kid will make that change On short yardage and goal line. Kid is a pile driver. Will get his assigned block or first free defender.

As they shouldn’t. If our offense is going to consist of having a fullback on the field, the entire thing needs to be burned to the ground. There’s just no way we are going back to the Stone Age.
last time we had a good offense, we had a really good fullback. last time we could actually run the ball, same thing. big reason why we cant score in the red zone to save our life is the absence of a fullback..

but yeah, lets keep doing what we are doing, it's working so well. no better OC in college if you want to move the ball between the 30's than our own Whipple.

Far better indicators compared to what? And where is the evidence of that?

The lowest 4-star player in the top 250 is a 5.7 and 3-stars go from 5.7 to 5.5.

So you have some higher-end 3-star guys like Camden Brown and Jimmy Scott, who are both 5.7, that are pretty close to being 4-star recruits and their offers often reflect that (e.g., Auburn for Brown and TAMU/Ole Miss for Scott).

A lot of Pitt's playmakers in the last few years have been higher end 3-stars with high-level P5 offers, such as South Carolina (Twyman and Kancey) and Notre Dame (Addison). You want to see SEC teams and Notre Dame offering your guys and not just Boston College and some MAC schools. Typically, if the SEC offers someone, they're better than just their star ranking would indicate.

Far better indicators compared to what? And where is the evidence of that?
Far better indicators of the quality of a prospect as a potential P5-level player than the Rivals star system. Not sure what you're asking as far as "evidence" but if several high level P5 teams have offered a kid, that means their coaching staffs have evaluated him and deemed him worthy of scholarships to their programs. I think that trumps a star ranking from some website. There are very few sure things, but I think the evaluation of coaches whose livelihoods depend on bringing in talent is about as reliable as you can get. Nobody is recruiting for depth, they are all looking for starters. Players don't get offers unless coaches think they have the potential to start on their teams. And every kid who ultimately gets an offer is round-tabled and analyzed by the entire coaching staff including the HC.

last time we had a good offense, we had a really good fullback. last time we could actually run the ball, same thing. big reason why we cant score in the red zone to save our life is the absence of a fullback..

but yeah, lets keep doing what we are doing, it's working so well. no better OC in college if you want to move the ball between the 30's than our own Whipple.
For the most part the best offenses in any level of football don't use fullbacks anymore except situationally. Wisconsin is a notable outlier.

Reactions: cashisking884
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT