ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Boosters, A Trustee, and Radio color man, and Cal

Your missing the point. Why are a Pitt Trustee and the Pitt radio color broadcaster sitting with an opposing coach right as he steals a key recruit. It's absurd.

I'll add that there is no question Cal posted the photo so the recruit could see it. These guys could have easily had dinner at a private place and not taken a photo. Fools.

Your missing the point. Why are a Pitt Trustee and the Pitt radio color broadcaster sitting with an opposing coach right as he steals a key recruit. It's absurd.

I read that Arkansas plans to have the highest payroll. If they want to pay Meleek $1.5 million or $2 million, we cant come close to that. Lets just hope we can get Thiero.

I was at a Lincoln Park this game this season where Cal and Sammy were sitting side by side.

Yeah he is quite the salesman. My point is that if you give a good player a big bag of money that player will play for your team. To add insult that photo is from a Pitt man's restuarant. Cal has zero humility

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
There is only one Italian restaurant in the entire state of Arkansas and it’s a Pizza Hut off of the major interstate. I hope that ego maniac enjoyed his dinner. Frankly who cares who he recruits and pays because they won’t win a natty while he is the head coach

There is only one Italian restaurant in the entire state of Arkansas and it’s a Pizza Hut off of the major interstate. I hope that ego maniac enjoyed his dinner. Frankly who cares who he recruits and pays because they won’t win a natty while he is the head coach
Based on what?

I read that Arkansas plans to have the highest payroll. If they want to pay Meleek $1.5 million or $2 million, we cant come close to that. Lets just hope we can get Thiero.

I was at a Lincoln Park this game this season where Cal and Sammy were sitting side by side.
Oh please, tell the source you read. That would be nice.

We’re not getting him. We’re not beating out ark for therio and we need to move on for players we can get and not waste time for a kid that is looking for the highest payday

We’re not getting him. We’re not beating out ark for therio and we need to move on for players we can get and not waste time for a kid that is looking for the highest payday

The weird thing is he didnt want to play for Cal at Kentucky so he entered the portal. This was before Cal took the Arky job. Now that Cal goes to Arkansas, he suddenly wants to play for him again? Kind of bizarre. I wonder if Thiero wasn't going to get as much money as he thought he deserved at UK with that great class coming in so he entered the portal but is now able to make big money at Arkansas.

Remember the booster who was friends with Alvarez and believed that Alvarez was trying to help the Pitt program by offering up Chryst? Not really related but kind of hits home that these boosters aren't making anyone forget the golden panthers.

More publicity for Pitt with one of the best coaches in country. The script had already been written for Thomas and Thiero. Do you really think Jay-Z wants him at Pitt vs with Cal?

More publicity for Pitt with one of the best coaches in country. The script had already been written for Thomas and Thiero. Do you really think Jay-Z wants him at Pitt vs with Cal?

Thomas was always going to be an uphill battle. Thiero was coming to Pitt until Cal came in late.

Cal used these guys like mindless puppets….how dumb and totally insensitive can you be to your own HC’s and Pitt’s position in this recruiting situation than attending a dinner with Cal and his buddy sporting Arkansas gear and then posing for a photo op. These guys are dunces and someone should make that clear to them!

Thomas was always going to be an uphill battle. Thiero was coming to Pitt until Cal came in late.
Maybe maybe not. A lot of twitter rumors about theiro/family and cal’s relationship. Theiro wanted out before Cal did. Maybe the boosters want knowledge of theiro before they pay up for him.

Maybe maybe not. A lot of twitter rumors about theiro/family and cal’s relationship. Theiro wanted out before Cal did. Maybe the boosters want knowledge of theiro before they pay up for him.
Well then call him on the phone….only a group of dunces would do what this crew did…they should have worn signs around their heads: “ I’m your puppet”.

I guess everyone who’s making this an issue wouldn’t have loved being at that table .

Pitt has a place in college Bb , but it’s never going to out recruit the big boys except in truly unique circumstances. Accept it and move on .

I guess everyone who’s making this an issue wouldn’t have loved being at that table .

Pitt has a place in college Bb , but it’s never going to out recruit the big boys except in truly unique circumstances. Accept it and move on .
I wouldn't have been that stupid and tone deaf to be at that table regardless of my past relationship with Cal. How insecure do you have to be in your own skin to rub elbows with this guy at the expense of your own school?

Other than folks on here, who is it a bad look to? Do you think that the recruits care one bit who Cal has dinner with in Pittsburgh?

bad look for the university. You think it's okay that probably 2 hours earlier Cal is trashing Pitt to Thiero telling him why he shouldn't go there and then yucking it up over dinner with some of the more prominent representatives of Pitt?

Don't think the local cuckold would consider their situation getting out as "publicity".

Reactions: Saboteur II
I wouldn't have been that stupid and tone deaf to be at that table regardless of my past relationship with Cal. How insecure do you have to be in your own skin to rub elbows with this guy at the expense of your own school?
If you think for one second that any recruit gives a shit about who has lunch with who you’re kidding yourself . ( unless it’s some sport or music icon ) . Cal has friends that he established while he was a coach for Pitt , god forbid that he has maintained relationships with the them .

These kids care about two things , how much and can you get me to the next level .

Reactions: 1Skeets
Thiero listed Arkansas from the beginning and played for Cal already. No shadiness here. No different than Cal coming to watch Thomas. Would it be awful if Capel and Cal sat next to each other at a game? Wasn’t thiero already visiting Arkansas at said time of photo? What was exact time frame of these ghastly events. And if Pitt cares so much, something tells me if Pitt matched Arkansas’s offer for Cal, he very well would coach here given ties.

Thiero would also mean more to Pitt than Arkansas. If you truly get 5 mil, not sure he would be a top priority when you can basically buy a more thorough roster. If FAU guy got 1 mail, no where Thiero gets that much.

If you think for one second that any recruit gives a shit about who has lunch with who you’re kidding yourself . ( unless it’s some sport or music icon ) . Cal has friends that he established while he was a coach for Pitt , god forbid that he has maintained relationships with the them .

These kids care about two things , how much and can you get me to the next level .
It's barely about Thiero, this is more about the tone defness of our donors.

Be friends with Cal, have lunch. Just don't do it when he's on a literal recruiting visit with a player who just visited. Ignoring the messaging behind this and the decades of ignorance of this university's local footprint is the point. Not Thiero, not the lunch, it's the mentality.

Just goes to show you how a bunch of otherwise smart guys get chumped by celebrity worship.
It’s effing typical Pittsburgh. “Hey, we were just a (insert noun here; goal, punch, first down, out) away from glory.
If I were Capel I would be on the phone right now with my agent and put a sign on my front porch “Get off my porch”.
Only in Pittsburgh does this shat happen.

It's barely about Thiero, this is more about the tone defness of our donors.

Be friends with Cal, have lunch. Just don't do it when he's on a literal recruiting visit with a player who just visited. Ignoring the messaging behind this and the decades of ignorance of this university's local footprint is the point. Not Thiero, not the lunch, it's the mentality.
Arkansas was able to pay Cal 7 mil/yr and get him 5 mil in NIL money in a blink of an eye , think Pitt could’ve ? They want to win and are willing to do whatever it takes . Pitt has plenty of large donors ( as evidenced by their endowment fund ) they just don’t seem to prioritize the Fb and Bb programs like some other schools

I don’t think the big donors to the university care if Cal had a nice lunch with some old friends nor will they lose any sleep if Thiero goes to Arkansas or Kansas. Pitt chased away the Golden Panthers yrs ago and have never emphasized winning at all costs since then . The athletic department has made so many bad decisions over the yrs why would anyone allocate large sums of money to them ?

If Cals lunch angers you or the large athletic boosters money talks , Cal has it JC doesn’t .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1Skeets
Just goes to show you how a bunch of otherwise smart guys get chumped by celebrity worship.
It’s effing typical Pittsburgh. “Hey, we were just a (insert noun here; goal, punch, first down, out) away from glory.
If I were Capel I would be on the phone right now with my agent and put a sign on my front porch “Get off my porch”.
Only in Pittsburgh does this shat happen.
Maybe they're just reluctant to pony up the absurd NIL extortion money and are thanking Cal for getting them off the hook.

Funny how a lot of posters here are telling big donors how best to support the program.

You decline a dinner with Cal until the recruitment of a very important target is over. Same thing is if Pitt and Arky were playing on a Saturday, you decline a Friday dinner invite. Meet up after the game.

Although this is a bad look, it really doesn't hurt Pitt in any way, its just a bit demoralizing for us regular joe's that we are out here hoping we get an important piece of the puzzle while those close to the program are having dinner with the one guy trying to prevent that from happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT