ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt - Miami Game Thread

That was a safety. They’d get the ball around the 40 with 4 mins to go. Good chance of winning with those circumstances.
How are you so certain it was a safety? Wish I had whatever broadcast you were watching that clearly showed it was a safety.

I sure wish it was a safety but I can’t honestly say it was with any certainty.

• Haha
Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
I just can't believe they couldn't rattle a true freshman. Is this guy that good his 3rd start ?

He’s a redshirt FR. With COVID last year and really no cupcakes due to the shortened season, he probably didn’t have much of a true freshman season. So it’s probably close to a distinction without a difference, but still.

How are you so certain it was a safety? Wish I had whatever broadcast you were watching that clearly showed it was a safety.

I think it was probably a safety.

But you’re right. There was no camera angle that should it for sure was a safety.

Hallet was worse Id say. Mathis just got beat a few times, he didnt play his best game, but he didnt blow plays, just played a bit conservative
Definitely worse, but I don't view Hallet very highly at this stage of his career. There's certainly room to improve.

No, but I expect more from 21. Simply horrible all around tackling from just about everyone.
Yeah, I’ll give you that, we expect more from 21 based on his resume and rep.

And unfortunately, no one can deny the horrible tackling. In many cases, just horrible angles such that they even didn’t get a hand/arm on the ball carrier to attemp a tackle.

I think all the broadcast clearly showed it. His feet clearly never crossed the line and the replay at the goal line showed he never completely crossed the line. He would have been lucky to even have touched the line not alone completely cross it.

And, this all is not to even mention what the ACC studio crew said after the game, that the RB clearly made a 'football move' after the initial play, so he should have been spotted after that move, which is clearly a safety

I think all the broadcast clearly showed it. His feet clearly never crossed the line and the replay at the goal line showed he never completely crossed the line. He would have been lucky to even have touched the line not alone completely cross it.

And, this all is not to even mention what the ACC studio crew said after the game, that the RB clearly made a 'football move' after the initial play, so he should have been spotted after that move, which is clearly a safety
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the rule. I thought it was only the ball that needed to cross the line, not his feet also?

And your 2nd point, no way they take that forward progress away from him.

Lot of blame to go around for this loss. Defense and coaches of the defense seemed unprepared for this new QB, but they did a decent job of adjusting at half.

Kenny really played well 93% of the game, but unfortunately made some costly mistakes in that 7% of not playing well.

Narduzzi called an unnecessary TO that hurt Pitt’s chance of a shot at the end, but he also showed guts needed from a HC by going for it on 4th down when his team had momentum.

The refs were okay for much of the game, but the few questionable calls that did have (including the non- safety call) may ultimately have created just enough additional adversity to keep Pitt from winning today.

The camera crew was okay most of the game but was atrocious the last 7 minutes- the fact that there was no camera angle that could show definitely whether the Miami player for out of the end zone or not is unacceptable.

Last edited:
I just can't believe they couldn't rattle a true freshman. Is this guy that good his 3rd start ?
He's a 5-star that nearly everyone wanted. If he finishes the season like he's played the past 3 games, he would be a Heisman favorite as a sophomore.

Miami fans are now laughing about Pickett's moment a few years ago when he beat them as a frosh. Van Dyke is gonna kick the crap out of us these next 2 years most likely.

Lot of blame to go around for this loss. Defense and coaches of the defense seemed unprepared for this new QB, but they did a decent job of adjusting at half.

Kenny really played well 93% of the game, but unfortunately made some costly mistakes in that 7% of not playing well.

Narduzzi called an unnecessary TO that hurt Pitt’s chance of a shot at the end, but he showed guts for going it on 4th down.

The refs were okay for much of the game, but the few questionable calls that did have (including the non- safety call) may ultimately have created just enough additional adversity to keep Pitt from winning today.

The camera crew was okay most of the game but was atrocious the last 7 minutes- the fact that there was no camera angle that could show definitely whether the Miami player for out of the end zone or not is unacceptable.

The incompetency of the camera angles was perfectly summed up on the next play after the safety. The announcers are taking about what a great throw it was, first down Miami, and the camera man is watching the QB the entire play. We didn’t even see it. They had to show it a couple of plays later when they realized nobody at home saw the play.

Perhaps Pitt might have benefitted from a larger and more vociferous crowd.
Maybe everyone was sitting at home playing with themselves on free message boards of team's that they don't root for similar to you? Who could blame them? It's what people that have their lives together tend to do.

Was it me or did it look like Krull could have practically fallen forward for a TD on that goofy assed play??
I don’t think he would’ve quite made it, but if he gets down to around the 2 yard line it certainly makes it much easier to go for it on 4th down.

I looked at the running backs feet. They were clearly about a foot or two in the end zone. I’m pretty sure he was not holding the ball several feet in front of his feet.

Again, super dumb thing to say. Miami missed a ton of tackles too. That happens every game. Obviously in a one score game, completely missed calls do affect the outcome of a game.

Burned deep? What? What play are you talking about? Are you saying that if a team ever gets burned deep in a game they should lose? Alabama gets burned deep nearly every game with their aggressive defense.
Gave up 38 points to a 3 win team, and i have eyeballs that work.

He played a pretty good game. Rambo is a big-time receiver and he pretty much held him in check. The big plays were against the safeties and LB's. I think Bates was out-coached. He rarely went 5 DB's (is there an injury we don't know about... seems like Bright was out there the entire game) and seemed to use the WMU game plan in the fist half - NEVER blitz. NC State did the exact same thing and were burnt. Bates must of missed that. He gots to GO!

Reactions: gary2

And unfortunately, no one can deny the horrible tackling. In many cases, just horrible angles such that they even didn’t get a hand/arm on the ball carrier to attemp a tackle.

The defense just isn’t athletic or fast. Tackling is frequently about how fast can you get to the point of attack to put yourself in a physically good situation to make the tackle. It’s why slow LBs frequently bounce off RBs, because they are too slow to fill the hole and get their body in position to make the tackle.

It takes our guys so much to even get to the point of attack, that players bounce right off of them.

I don’t think he would’ve quite made it, but if he gets down to around the 2 yard line it certainly makes it much easier to go for it on 4th down.
Yeah, he wouldn’t have come close to a TD, maybe the 3 or 2 yard line, and maybe that would have swayed them to go for it on 4th.

But if you have 3rd down inside the 5 and are willing to go for it on 4th, I don’t call a gimmick play. A little bit of after the fact armchair QB’ing here, but I’m not a big fan of gimmick plays. Great when they work, but….??

I would have kept the ball in the hands of the guy that got you there, roll him out with option to run or pass.

Was it me or did it look like Krull could have practically fallen forward for a TD on that goofy assed play??
Not just you. I was think the same thing. Not worth throwing that pass - Just tuck it and try to man your way into the end zone.

Went back and watched a few missed calls by the ref including a crucial missed pass interference call during a 2 and 10 on Pitt’s own 35 with about 11:55 in the 4th when a Miami DB hits Stovall before the ball gets to him. Instead of an automatic 1st down, Pitt is left with. a 3 and 10 which they do not convert.

There were just enough missed calls and plays called in Miami’s favor that were either not reviewed by the refs (like the last INT by Kenny) or strangely unable to to be proper see on any cameras (like the no safety call) to keep Pitt from winning this game.

Went back and watched a few missed calls by the ref including a crucial missed pass interference call during a 2 and 10 on Pitt’s own 35 with about 11:55 in the 4th when a Miami DB hits Stovall before the ball gets to him. Instead of an automatic 1st down, Pitt is left with. a 3 and 10 which they do not convert.

There were just enough missed calls and plays called in Miami’s favor that were either not reviewed by the refs (like the last INT by Kenny) or strangely unable to to be proper see on any cameras (like the no safety call) to keep Pitt from winning this game.
If you’re watching replays, was the ineligible man down field call against us legit? That was a big play. Can’t recal who caught that 15 or so yard pass but the penalty nullified the 1st down in Miami territory and killed that drive.

If you’re watching replays, was the ineligible man down field call against us legit? That was a big play. Can’t recal who caught that 15 or so yard pass but the penalty nullified the 1st down in Miami territory and killed that drive.
I believe that was the one where the ref got the number wrong-The ref called it against number #70 from Pitt’s offense when there was no 70 on the field -the refs then didn’t even attempt to correct it. It was ridiculous. I didn’t remember exactly when that happened in the game, but I will go back and look. I am not sure if there was any evidence one way or the other on TV or any attempt to reply it.

I believe that was the one where the ref got the number wrong-The ref called it against number #70 from Pitt’s offense when there was no 70 on the field -the refs then didn’t even attempt to correct it. It was ridiculous. I didn’t remember exactly when that happened in the game, but I will go back and look. I am not sure if there was any evidence one way or the other on TV or any attempt to reply it.
I'm not sure if they replayed it or not, but there was no #70 on the field.

That last Pickett INT, the DB lost control IMMEDIATELY, why was it not an incomplete pass? They go from the "control the ball through the process" extreme, to the ''who cares if control was a split second" extreme.

One blown call I missed but saw on highlights was the RT false starting on the big play downfield to Addison that got us rolling again. It’s a pretty clear as day offsides, on a play that completely changed the momentum in the game.

I don’t think everything balances out. But I also don’t think the calls were so insanely one way as others are describing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT