ADVERTISEMENT

Question for South Hills experts

Oct 25, 2021
Does anybody remember what stores/businesses used to be in the strip that is now Trader Joe's/etc. on 19?

I realize it's been a Trader Joe's for a long time now, but I swear I remember going to that strip as a kid. Can't recall what was in it, though.

Here's a South Hills question. How come we always hear about Steelers' players moving into the North Allegheny SD but I've never really heard of them locating in the South Hills? Is there a reason for that?

Because the South Hills is hard to access while the North Hills is easier with the highway.
I kind of though it was tied to logistics. Jagr was probably the most prominent athlete that I can remember living in the South Hills while he played. I believed he lived in Upper Saint Clair - no?

Reactions: TheChair
I kind of though it was tied to logistics. Jagr was probably the most prominent athlete that I can remember living in the South Hills while he played. I believed he lived in Upper Saint Clair - no?
Yeah, he used to live that way and so did Lemieux. If you think about it, it is a straight shot to the Civic Arena from USC or Lebo but it is all difficult street lights.

Some Steelers have lived in the South Hills (a few of my old acquaintances knew Ryan Clark when he lived in Baldwin, I think), but it is just a pain to navigate. The North Hills is much easier and the land usually is larger and provides more privacy.

The look recently for the young guys is to just live near the South Side facility, which makes a lot of sense for a young guy.

All the penguins lived in the south because they practiced at Mt Lebo and then practiced at Southpointe in Canonsburg. So they lived in Lebo, USC, South Fayette and Canonsburg. Maybe even Bethel. I know Bourque has a beautiful house in BP but it might as well have been USC.

But since the move to Cranberry, I think they all live up there now too.

All the penguins lived in the south because they practiced at Mt Lebo and then practiced at Southpointe in Canonsburg. So they lived in Lebo, USC, South Fayette and Canonsburg. Maybe even Bethel. I know Bourque has a beautiful house in BP but it might as well have been USC.

But since the move to Cranberry, I think they all live up there now too.
Didn't they break the Cup in Lemieux's Mt. Lebanon pool? I remember Lemieux used to be a regular or seen a decent amount at South Hills Country Club as well.

Reactions: NNFAN
Didn't they break the Cup in Lemieux's Mt. Lebanon pool? I remember Lemieux used to be a regular or seen a decent amount at South Hills Country Club as well.
Yep. He lived in a dead end street that ran perpendicular off Rt 19 in the heart of Lebo. His house was on the cul de sac and had an old English “L” in the masonry. I forget the name of the street. But he left there and went to Sewickley. I can’t remember when the move happened but it might have coincided with his retirement and thus didn’t have to drive into the south hills daily. Although, from Sewickley to Southpointe is an easy no tunnel drive down i79.

Yep. He lived in a dead end street that ran perpendicular off Rt 19 in the heart of Lebo. His house was on the cul de sac and had an old English “L” in the masonry. I forget the name of the street. But he left there and went to Sewickley. I can’t remember when the move happened but it might have coincided with his retirement and thus didn’t have to drive into the south hills daily. Although, from Sewickley to Southpointe is an easy no tunnel drive down i79.
I think he left Lebo after the first retirement. I think. I remember that around when he came back in 2000 or so, he was not seen around the South Hills much anymore. Maybe I am confusing it all. I just remember that Lemieux was a guy that you would see randomly in South Hills. It is hard to miss the 6'5" guy that everyone knows. I do not remember that happening too often after the mid/late 1990s.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I think he left Lebo after the first retirement. I think. I remember that around when he came back in 2000 or so, he was not seen around the South Hills much anymore. Maybe I am confusing it all. I just remember that Lemieux was a guy that you would see randomly in South Hills. It is hard to miss the 6'5" guy that everyone knows. I do not remember that happening too often after the mid/late 1990s.
Those guys all liked to party at the Saloon. And they were very social and didn’t look down their nose at the hoi polloi. We spent plenty of nights having beers with those guys.

Those guys all liked to party at the Saloon. And they were very social and didn’t look down their nose at the hoi polloi. We spent plenty of nights having beers with those guys.
There was a steakhouse between USC and Bridgeville that those guys used to often frequent. Do you remember the name? I am forgetting as it has been a long time since I have visited that area.

There was a steakhouse between USC and Bridgeville that those guys used to often frequent. Do you remember the name? I am forgetting as it has been a long time since I have visited that area.
I’m drawing a blank on a steak house. They did frequent L&N Seafood in the Galleria as I recall. I don’t know where there would be a steak house between USC and Bridgeville.

Here is Mario’s old house on LynnHaven Dr. I’m pretty sure this is his but I don’t see the L in the masonry but subsequent owners might have had it removed.

Reactions: NNFAN and TheChair
I’m drawing a blank on a steak house. They did frequent L&N Seafood in the Galleria as I recall. I don’t know where there would be a steak house between USC and Bridgeville.

Here is Mario’s old house on LynnHaven Dr. I’m pretty sure this is his but I don’t see the L in the masonry but subsequent owners might have had it removed.

Actually I clicked on street view in that link and sure enough the L is still there on the far left side of the dwelling.

Reactions: NNFAN and TheChair

There was/is a road/set of roads that essentially connects 19 and Washington Avenue. A common throughway that everyone travels. It had a bunch of car lots, repair shops, random shops and a steakhouse that everyone in the area knew very well. Highly regarded. That set of Penguins was known to rent out the steakhouse as were some of the Steelers. I just cannot remember the name.

The Saloon was fun. One of my buddies after college basically lived above it. We had some nice times there when I would return to town.

According to the Allegheny County Tax Map Mario didn't own this place. Ralph Cindrich did though.

There was/is a road/set of roads that essentially connects 19 and Washington Avenue. A common throughway that everyone travels. It had a bunch of car lots, repair shops, random shops and a steakhouse that everyone in the area knew very well. Highly regarded. That set of Penguins was known to rent out the steakhouse as were some of the Steelers. I just cannot remember the name.

The Saloon was fun. One of my buddies after college basically lived above it. We had some nice times there when I would return to town.
Ok. Is was thinking you might have been referring to Mcglaughlin Run Road, and I’m envisioning a possible location near the USC post office off Lesnett Rd.

Ok. Is was thinking you might have been referring to Mcglaughlin Run Road, and I’m envisioning a possible location near the USC post office off Lesnett Rd.
I just looked at a map; it was either on McLaughlin or McMurray. If you were driving towards Washington Avenue, it was on the left side of the street. It was one of the only things on the left side of the street. I am going to be thinking all day today about the name, it was one of the names that everyone knew locally like Pasta Too or Armstrong's to Tambellini's, etc.

Actually I clicked on street view in that link and sure enough the L is still there on the far left side of the dwelling.

Wow, look how much that house has gone up recently. Now $3m. Recently renovated. Looks like Mario sold the place in 1994 for $550k.

Last edited:
I remember a rumor that Mario lived in a giant looking place that you could see to the Mt. Lebo side on Swallow Hill Road as you went up the hill (past Nob Hill Apartments). Borders with Scott Twp.

According to the Allegheny County Tax Map Mario didn't own this place. Ralph Cindrich did though.

Wikipedia says that he lived in Lemieux's former home. That said, was he Lemieux's agent? It is possible that he was the Trustee of a land trust or something similar to keep Lemieux's name off of the records though he was the beneficial owner.

Wikipedia says that he lived in Lemieux's former home. That said, was he Lemieux's agent? It is possible that he was the Trustee of a land trust or something similar to keep Lemieux's name off of the records though he was the beneficial owner.
Interesting. The county tax map only gives the past 3 owners. And I didn't read that right below it states that this doesn't list all previous owners.
Lemieux must have sold it to Cindrich. I just googled and see that Mario’s brother lived there from 1989-1994.
There we go, caper solved! Google never lets us down.

• Haha
Lemieux must have sold it to Cindrich. I just googled and see that Mario’s brother lived there from 1989-1994.
Bottom line is that you are right, Mario lived there. Whether or not someone else's name was on the title isn't important. The house may have been provided as a perk for the team's franchise player.

Bunch of stalkers and star effers 🤣🤣🤣
I can't speak to where Lemieux lived specifically, but I can say that it used to be that these guys lived in the community, you saw them and everyone knew where they lived. They were neighbors. I remember being a pretty small kid in Homewood/Point Breeze and everyone knew where Mr. Stargell lived/used to live.

The South Hills were a series of small, tight knit communities. I am not sure if they still are, but everyone knew each other in/around the townships. Or at least it had that feel.

In the South Hills, like noted above, the Penguins and some Steelers were very visible. Normal guys. They would tell you where they lived because you kicked some words with them, they sensed the genuine nature of people and they knew that you lived right down the street too.

I always really thought that was/is much of the Pittsburgh charm. Most everyone is a normal guy/girl. Not that money and status did not matter, but even the stars mixed in with the normal folk. Not sure if that still exists, I am too disconnected with the city.

Reactions: 4upmc and NNFAN
A lot of those Pens lived on Southpointe’s fairways, St Clair’s, or Hickory Heights. Hockey and golf seemed to go hand in hand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT