ADVERTISEMENT

Question for South Hills experts

I can't speak to where Lemieux lived specifically, but I can say that it used to be that these guys lived in the community, you saw them and everyone knew where they lived. They were neighbors. I remember being a pretty small kid in Homewood/Point Breeze and everyone knew where Mr. Stargell lived/used to live.

The South Hills were a series of small, tight knit communities. I am not sure if they still are, but everyone knew each other in/around the townships. Or at least it had that feel.

In the South Hills, like noted above, the Penguins and some Steelers were very visible. Normal guys. They would tell you where they lived because you kicked some words with them, they sensed the genuine nature of people and they knew that you lived right down the street too.

I always really thought that was/is much of the Pittsburgh charm. Most everyone is a normal guy/girl. Not that money and status did not matter, but even the stars mixed in with the normal folk. Not sure if that still exists, I am too disconnected with the city.
I think I’ve mentioned before but we had a Cub Scout function at mt Lebanon lanes that I think pretty much all of the Penguins attended. They bowled with us and signed autographs. Dave Hannan used to run a little hockey shop in castle Shannon too that you’d see him in from time to time.

Reactions: TheChair
This would have been in the early 90s. I swear I thought I remembered a department store being on the far where (where Trader Joe's is now), but maybe I have the wrong plaza.
I think remember at one point there were some empty office buildings or whatever, but everything was torn down for what's there today. Could e been way way back though before my time

Actually, I remembered. From the bottom of the hill up it was Ground Round down at the corner, Chis Chi's, Red Lobster, South Hills Nurseries, and the Washingtonian apartment building. The Living Room restaurant was above that in Mitchell's corners, but that building is still there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan1911
Lemieux must have sold it to Cindrich. I just googled and see that Mario’s brother lived there from 1989-1994.
Mario Lemieux had the house built and was the original owner ..... he later sold it to Ralph Cindrich as noted.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This would have been in the early 90s. I swear I thought I remembered a department store being on the far where (where Trader Joe's is now), but maybe I have the wrong plaza.
At the bottom of the hill on Rt 19, the galleria mall was a Kaufmanns before it was converted into what it was in the mid 90’s to today. So on that side of the road going up the hill to where Trader Joe’s is now…it went Kaufmanns, ground round, red lobster, Chi chis (where Trader Joe’s is today).

I just looked at a map; it was either on McLaughlin or McMurray. If you were driving towards Washington Avenue, it was on the left side of the street. It was one of the only things on the left side of the street. I am going to be thinking all day today about the name, it was one of the names that everyone knew locally like Pasta Too or Armstrong's to Tambellini's, etc.
Any chance you are thinking about Fatigati's?

That was further out past bridgeville....but the Steelers certainly frequented the place

I might add it was arguably the best restaurant in the area.

That was further out past bridgeville....but the Steelers certainly frequented the place

I think it was an Italian name but not that. I literally have sat watching NFL football, reading about the Pitt OC job and thinking about the name of that restaurant most of the day today. Clearly I do not have much complication in my life presently. But still, it was a well known spot and I just cannot quite recall the name.

For some reason, I also think/recall the Penguins that were mostly at this place were Barrasso and Stevens (the latter of which would not be a surprise to anyone).

For some reason, I also think/recall the Penguins that were mostly at this place were Barrasso and Stevens (the latter of which would not be a surprise to anyone).
Do you have a location on a map? If so, what is there now?

Do you have a location on a map? If so, what is there now?
I think it was either on McLaughlin or Bower Hill heading towards Washington Ave. But, it was a well known steak/private event joint. I think that Mike Lange used to reference it often on Penguins telecasts back in the early 1990s.

I think it was either on McLaughlin or Bower Hill heading towards Washington Ave. But, it was a well known steak/private event joint. I think that Mike Lange used to reference it often on Penguins telecasts back in the early 1990s.
There was a Tambellinis right off of Bower Hill on railroad Street right before you got to 50. It's called the Railyard Grill now. I can't think of a single restaurant on either one of those roads unless your thinking of something that was in pinebridge mall along McLaughlin run all the way back in USC. Scoglio was there for a bit, but there have been a million different restaurants in there.

There was a Tambellinis right off of Bower Hill on railroad Street right before you got to 50. It's called the Railyard Grill now. I can't think of a single restaurant on either one of those roads unless your thinking of something that was in pinebridge mall along McLaughlin run all the way back in USC. Scoglio was there for a bit, but there have been a million different restaurants in there.
Question: was there ever a Ruth's Chris back around there?

And, I recall the Tambellini's fortunately, so my mind is not going to waste, I think.

Any chance you are thinking about Zingaro's?

One last thought....

There was a place in that location called the Good Wood.

Higher end place. Really excellent if I recall.

Actually, I remembered. From the bottom of the hill up it was Ground Round down at the corner, Chis Chi's, Red Lobster, South Hills Nurseries, and the Washingtonian apartment building. The Living Room restaurant was above that in Mitchell's corners, but that building is still there.
The Ground Round space was a Howard Johnson’s prior to that. Ate at both!

Reactions: mlvnsmly
A lot of those Pens lived on Southpointe’s fairways, St Clair’s, or Hickory Heights. Hockey and golf seemed to go hand in hand.
Never met Mario but saw him plenty of times when I worked summer grounds keeping at Nevillewood. His charity tourney was a busy time on the course.

I can't speak to where Lemieux lived specifically, but I can say that it used to be that these guys lived in the community, you saw them and everyone knew where they lived. They were neighbors. I remember being a pretty small kid in Homewood/Point Breeze and everyone knew where Mr. Stargell lived/used to live.

The South Hills were a series of small, tight knit communities. I am not sure if they still are, but everyone knew each other in/around the townships. Or at least it had that feel.

In the South Hills, like noted above, the Penguins and some Steelers were very visible. Normal guys. They would tell you where they lived because you kicked some words with them, they sensed the genuine nature of people and they knew that you lived right down the street too.

I always really thought that was/is much of the Pittsburgh charm. Most everyone is a normal guy/girl. Not that money and status did not matter, but even the stars mixed in with the normal folk. Not sure if that still exists, I am too disconnected with the city.
That is what I remember too. I did see Jagr on campus in the early 90's and remember going to several bars I think north of Pittsburgh and seeing other Penguins including Chris Tamer. Everyone just mixed, they felt at home and didn't have to take pictures every five seconds. What a fun time to be a student!

That is what I remember too. I did see Jagr on campus in the early 90's and remember going to several bars I think north of Pittsburgh and seeing other Penguins including Chris Tamer. Everyone just mixed, they felt at home and didn't have to take pictures every five seconds. What a fun time to be a student!
I remember seeing Jagr in the city a few times. The mullet was unforgettable. For some reason, I do not remember him being as big as he actually is.

Reactions: docpanther26
What was the name of the Rodeo place in Parkway Center? Jagr used to meet girls inside, take them outside, then go back inside again to meet more girls to take back outside. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. Although I’m guessing that technically he didn’t.

What was the name of the Rodeo place in Parkway Center? Jagr used to meet girls inside, take them outside, then go back inside again to meet more girls to take back outside. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. Although I’m guessing that technically he didn’t.
I remember it as Confetti but don’t recall what it was called for that time. Ended as an under 21 place I believe.

Because the South Hills is hard to access while the North Hills is easier with the highway.

Are there any athletes or coaches who live in the South Hills? Maybe when the Steelers build Southpointe Stadium. There's been Pitt assistant coaches, past and present, who have lived in the South Hills. And of course Todd Graham lived in Southpointe.

That was the name. I went there often. My buddies made fun of me cuz i liked country music.....

......until they went there and saw all the hotties in tight jeans and boots......
miss those days. I just spent the last hour going down a Metropol rabbit hole on YouTube.

Are there any athletes or coaches who live in the South Hills? Maybe when the Steelers build Southpointe Stadium. There's been Pitt assistant coaches, past and present, who have lived in the South Hills. And of course Todd Graham lived in Southpointe.
Dave Wannstadt lived in Mt. Lebanon when he was head coach at Pitt on Rock Haven Lane which is actually very close to the street where Mario Lemieux lived.

Reactions: NNFAN
I worked at the chi chi's there in bethel/usc. would have been in high school, 92 (ish). i liked it, cool high school job, bussing tables. they were busy back then too, always a wait on weekends. that red lobster and chi chis both did very well. would make 50-60 bucks on a friday - saturday night which was all just beer and gas money when you were in high school.

i got caught trying to steal the pitt iron city cans they had as memorabilia in the bar like 5 times by the manager. at end of night, i'd climb up on a stall to "dust" the ledge where they were out and got caught every time. chick was like' "Youve never dusted once in your life, i know you are trying to take the pitt can, please stop" and would walk away. it was one of those old time cans with pitt on it that Iron city made..

IRON CITY-Beer-355mL-PITT - BICENTENNIAL-United States

lynn swann and Teke (Tekulve) used to both live in bethel in the 80s. Steve blass and grant jackson both lived in upper st clair in 70s-80's too.

All very modest houses too, i mean very modest.

Reactions: goalieman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT