ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Barnes to the Selection Committee

Its unfathomable that this guy has made tens of millions of dollars in college athletics despite being an incompetent buffoon.
I mean … he has to do something right, doesn’t he? It’s just hard to know what it is. Dixon didn’t like him from the get go … I know that to be true.

Maybe he interviews well?

Take a look at his Wikipedia page. It basically fails to mention his time at Pitt.

I mean … he has to do something right, doesn’t he? It’s just hard to know what it is. Dixon didn’t like him from the get go … I know that to be true.

Maybe he interviews well?

Take a look at his Wikipedia page. It basically fails to mention his time at Pitt.

He seems like a good schmoozer and ass kissser. Is that enough? Even his education, JUCO then a Cal State school (which the University of California system looks down upon) and no grad school has to rank near the bottom of sitting P6 AD's.

Unbelievable how he keeps getting jobs and promotions and committees for doing a crap job

Although not his fault, an entire conference crumbled and his team couldn't get into the B12 or ACC over the likes of Cal, Stanford, Utah, Duplicate Utah, or Duplicate Arizona. How is that not a total failure?

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Although not his fault, an entire conference crumbled and his team couldn't get into the B12 or ACC over the likes of Cal, Stanford, Utah, Duplicate Utah, or Duplicate Arizona. How is that not a total failure?

How is that on the AD?

What kind of magic dust can an AD at Washington State or Oregon State pull out of their ass to make their school look attractive to the Big 10, Big 12, or ACC? Seriously, what do they offer?

What kind of magic dust can an AD at Washington State or Oregon State pull out of their ass to make their school look attractive to the Big 10,
I guess the notion of taking over an Athletic Department and through skill, hard work and time, building it into a profitable attractive commodity is not in you and Barnes vision, my question why pay big money to someone to manage mediocrity?

Lol. Oregon State & Washington State are established brands. They will never be attractive commodities. They don't have the resources or support.

Just the same as no AD can takeover at Pitt and make it as attractive to the Big 10 as PSU. Some things are beyond the scope of an AD.

How is that on the AD?

What kind of magic dust can an AD at Washington State or Oregon State pull out of their ass to make their school look attractive to the Big 10, Big 12, or ACC? Seriously, what do they offer?

Florida State desperately wanted Oregon State in the ACC for some odd reason as they said in their lawsuit. What are they paying an AD for? How did SMU get in? Selling your program over Cal, Stanford, SMU, Duplicate Utah, and Duplicate Arizona is not some impossible task.

How is that on the AD?

God, I knew you’d be on here. You have a spidey sense to defend anything Barnes and stallings

Florida State desperately wanted Oregon State in the ACC for some odd reason as they said in their lawsuit. What are they paying an AD for? How did SMU get in? Selling your program over Cal, Stanford, SMU, Duplicate Utah, and Duplicate Arizona is not some impossible task.

Lol. If you can't see the difference between Oregon State, Washington State, and schools like Stanford, Cal, SMU, and Arizona State, you need your head examined.

Most of the Big 10 plays in a stadium that seats more than the combined population of Corvallis & Pullman.

God, I knew you’d be on here. You have a spidey sense to defend anything Barnes and stallings

Barnes at least saw Oregon State make an Elite 8 in basketball. That pretty much matches Jamie's high water mark in the NCAA Tournament.

I think they might have won a Natty in baseball, but I really don't care enough to look it up.

Lol. If you can't see the difference between Oregon State, Washington State, and schools like Stanford, Cal, SMU, and Arizona State, you need your head examined.

Most of the Big 10 plays in a stadium that seats more than the combined population of Corvallis & Pullman.

Stanford, Cal, SMU, and Duplicate Utahs and Arizonas aren't legendary programs where its impossible to get an invite over them. And we hear FSU desperately wanted Oregon State. Barnes failed on this. Period.

Stanford, Cal, SMU, and Duplicate Utahs and Arizonas aren't legendary programs where its impossible to get an invite over them. And we hear FSU desperately wanted Oregon State. Barnes failed on this. Period.

They bring a lot more revenue, interest, and are in considerably more populated
areas.

The only thing FSU desperately wants is to get the hell out of the ACC.

They bring a lot more revenue, interest, and are in considerably more populated
areas.

The only thing FSU desperately wants is to get the hell out of the ACC.

I dont necessarily disagree. I'm saying that you cannot be paying a leader of your athletic department $1 million or whatever he's making and the conference crumbles before his eyes AND he's unable to sell the ACC or B12 on Oregon State over at least 1 of the 2 Bay Area teams, 1 of the 2 Arizona teams, G5 SMU, or a Utah team in a duplicate market. It would have surprised no one had the B12 taken Colorado, AZ, ASU, and Oregon State instead of Utah. The easy rationale is "we already have the Salt Lake City market. Oregon State is 84 miles from Portland and gives us a presence there." By the same token, had they taken Utah, Colorado, Oregon State, and 1 Arizona, the thinking could have been that both AZ and ASU bring the same state-wide AZ market so they didnt need both.

I dont necessarily disagree. I'm saying that you cannot be paying a leader of your athletic department $1 million or whatever he's making and the conference crumbles before his eyes AND he's unable to sell the ACC or B12 on Oregon State over at least 1 of the 2 Bay Area teams, 1 of the 2 Arizona teams, G5 SMU, or a Utah team in a duplicate market. It would have surprised no one had the B12 taken Colorado, AZ, ASU, and Oregon State instead of Utah. The easy rationale is "we already have the Salt Lake City market. Oregon State is 84 miles from Portland and gives us a presence there." By the same token, had they taken Utah, Colorado, Oregon State, and 1 Arizona, the thinking could have been that both AZ and ASU bring the same state-wide AZ market so they didnt need both.

No AD can sell a conference on jack shit. Everyone knows what Oregon State & Washington State offer and they aren't wanted. They bring nothing to the table, and there isn't a thing in the world the AD can do about it.

No AD can sell a conference on jack shit. Everyone knows what Oregon State & Washington State offer and they aren't wanted. They bring nothing to the table, and there isn't a thing in the world the AD can do about it.
Scott Barnes is an egotistical jackass (ask anyone who watched him with his son who was supposed to be the next Bill Walton) who thought he was a basketball genius. Meanwhile, he’s proven to be a basketball simple jack.

Minus Todd Graham, Barnes and Stallings are the two worst things that have happened to Pitt athletics in the 21st century. You don’t think it’s odd that you defend them both so vehemently?

FSU wanted them badly. Even if it mostly wasn't his fault, he is at least partly responsible and should have been fired long ago.

Scott Barnes is an egotistical jackass (ask anyone who watched him with his son who was supposed to be the next Bill Walton) who thought he was a basketball genius. Meanwhile, he’s proven to be a basketball simple jack.

Minus Todd Graham, Barnes and Stallings are the two worst things that have happened to Pitt athletics in the 21st century. You don’t think it’s odd that you defend them both so vehemently?
Graham, Barnes, and Stallings are nothing more than a blip on the radar at Pitt. There's a whole world of college athletics outside of Pitt.

SMF's whole premise is stupid. He's asking AD's at Oregon State and Washington State to do something they is beyond their power. It's akin to holding a Pitt AD responsible for filling up Heinz/Acrisure or The Pete... or to fundraise at the level of Louisville, Clemson, UVA, UNC, or FSU. No AD is going to make that happen.

Graham, Barnes, and Stallings are nothing more than a blip on the radar at Pitt. There's a whole world of college athletics outside of Pitt.

SMF's whole premise is stupid. He's asking AD's at Oregon State and Washington State to do something they is beyond their power. It's akin to holding a Pitt AD responsible for filling up Heinz/Acrisure or The Pete... or to fundraise at the level of Louisville, Clemson, UVA, UNC, or FSU. No AD is going to make that happen.

It would be like if the SEC added UVa and VT instead of Pitt. Maybe those 2 are a better fit but if we are paying you good money to be the caretaker of Pitt athletics, we better not get left behind on your watch while a like program gets picked. Utah was in the Mountain West 10 years ago and surpassed Oregon State. That's on Barnes. Its partly his fault why his program got left behind.

It would be like if the SEC added UVa and VT instead of Pitt. Maybe those 2 are a better fit but if we are paying you good money to be the caretaker of Pitt athletics, we better not get left behind on your watch while a like program gets picked. Utah was in the Mountain West 10 years ago and surpassed Oregon State. That's on Barnes. Its partly his fault why his program got left behind.
That's absurd. So you're holding the AD responsible for geography?

Who cares when Utah joined the Pac-12?
That isn't relevant. Six years before that, Louisville was in Conference USA. They would be ahead of Pitt in the pecking order of a SEC raid.

That's absurd. So you're holding the AD responsible for geography?

Who cares when Utah joined the Pac-12?
That isn't relevant. Six years before that, Louisville was in Conference USA. They would be ahead of Pitt in the pecking order of a SEC raid.

If the SEC picks a duplicate Kentucky school over Pitt, everyone associated with the University, including professors should be fired.

If the SEC picks a duplicate Kentucky school over Pitt, everyone associated with the University, including professors should be fired.
Well, they absolutely would. This idea has been tossed around ad nauseum by the media in SEC country. The 3 least attractive ACC schools is always same, Pitt, Syracuse, and BC. See if you can figure out why.

Well, they absolutely would. This idea has been tossed around ad nauseum by the media in SEC country. The 3 least attractive ACC schools is always same, Pitt, Syracuse, and BC. See if you can figure out why.

Its about TV markets. You said it yourself. SMU/Dallas. I'm not even concerned that the SEC would pick a duplicate Kentucky market over Pitt. There's less than a 0% chance Louisville gets an SEC invite. Barnes wasnt able or didnt even try to sell the B12 on their presence in the Portland market over Duplicate Salt Lake City. He needs to go.

Its about TV markets. You said it yourself. SMU/Dallas. I'm not even concerned that the SEC would pick a duplicate Kentucky market over Pitt. There's less than a 0% chance Louisville gets an SEC invite. Barnes wasnt able or didnt even try to sell the B12 on their presence in the Portland market over Duplicate Salt Lake City. He needs to go.
You REALLY think B12 leadership doesn't know what Oregon State would bring in or dilute in terms of TV revenue?

They would definitely take duplicate Kentucky over Pitt. Duplicate South Carolina and duplicate Florida is at the top of the pecking order.

You REALLY think B12 leadership doesn't know what Oregon State would bring in or dilute in terms of TV revenue?

They would definitely take duplicate Kentucky over Pitt. Duplicate South Carolina and duplicate Florida is at the top of the pecking order.

B12 leadership talked openly about adding UConn and Gonzaga so they aren't the brightest. So, no I do not think they took a deep dive into Oregon State/Portland. If it were me, with or without Barnes, I take Oregon State over Duplicate Utah.

The SEC may take Duplicate Florida and Duplicate South Carolina because those are almost blue bloods and it keeps the B10 out of the south. But they sure as heck aint taking Duplicate Kentucky.

B12 leadership talked openly about adding UConn and Gonzaga so they aren't the brightest. So, no I do not think they took a deep dive into Oregon State/Portland. If it were me, with or without Barnes, I take Oregon State over Duplicate Utah.

The SEC may take Duplicate Florida and Duplicate South Carolina because those are almost blue bloods and it keeps the B10 out of the south. But they sure as heck aint taking Duplicate Kentucky.
Louisville is WAY on down the pecking order for sure. They aren't even in the discussion. They would be above Pitt though.

Louisville is WAY on down the pecking order for sure. They aren't even in the discussion. They would be above Pitt though.

You are hilarious. Duplicate Kentucky isnt in the Top 50 for SEC selection. They dont even want FSU or Clemson but will take them to keep the B10 out. Its

1. UNC
2. UVa or VT (not both)
3. Colorado
4. 1 of the Arizonas
5. FSU
6. Clemson
7. Pitt or WVU
8. Duke (maybe due to bball)
9. Cincinnati
10. Syracuse
11. BC or UConn
12. Kansas

You are hilarious. Duplicate Kentucky isnt in the Top 50 for SEC selection. They dont even want FSU or Clemson but will take them to keep the B10 out. Its

1. UNC
2. UVa or VT (not both)
3. Colorado
4. 1 of the Arizonas
5. FSU
6. Clemson
7. Pitt or WVU
8. Duke (maybe due to bball)
9. Cincinnati
10. Syracuse
11. BC or UConn
12. Kansas
Where are you getting that garbage?

Did you pull that out of your ass?

Todd Graham took over a 7-5 program and went 6-6 which which was followed by 6-6 season after he left. He was bad, but the dynamic duo of Barnes and Stallings is an entirely different level.

Barnes and Stallings took a NCAA program that had 16 straight winning seasons, all with post-season appearances, to an immediate losing record, followed by the program's first ever winless conference record, which then took four subsequent losing seasons to get back to any form of respectability.

Barnes is the Whitey Hagan of the 21st Century. He absolutely destroyed the basketball program. It is not even close.

Todd Graham took over a 7-5 program and went 6-6 which which was followed by 6-6 season after he left. He was bad, but the dynamic duo of Barnes and Stallings is an entirely different level.

Barnes and Stallings took a NCAA program that had 16 straight winning seasons, all with post-season appearances, to an immediate losing record, followed by the program's first ever winless conference record, which then took four subsequent losing seasons to get back to any form of respectability.

Barnes is the Whitey Hagan of the 21st Century. He absolutely destroyed the basketball program. It is not even close.

"Winning seasons" 😂

Pitt's drastic basketball declined started under Jamie's watch.

I'm sorry, I don't buy the notion that Scott Barnes just walked through the door and wanted to push Jamie out. I'm pretty certain some monied booster was dissatisfied with the product that Jamie put on the floor his last 5 years, declining attendance, the mediocre/bad recruiting, and overall direction of the program. Had Jamie been performing at high level, they certainly wouldn't have urged him to leave.

Nobody is trying to push Bill Self, Scott Drew, Danny Hurley, Matt Painter, Bruce Pearl, or Nate Oats out the door. Why is that?

"Winning seasons" 😂

Pitt's drastic basketball declined started under Jamie's watch.

I'm sorry, I don't buy the notion that Scott Barnes just walked through the door and wanted to push Jamie out. I'm pretty certain some monied booster was dissatisfied with the product that Jamie put on the floor his last 5 years, declining attendance, the mediocre/bad recruiting, and overall direction of the program. Had Jamie been performing at high level, they certainly wouldn't have urged him to leave.

Nobody is trying to push Bill Self, Scott Drew, Danny Hurley, Matt Painter, Bruce Pearl, or Nate Oats out the door. Why is that?

It was a bit of both. Jamie was growing frustrated with the fanbase's turn towards him, he didnt like the ACC, and he didnt like Barnes so it was a mutual parting of ways but if you are Barnes, you dont let him walk without a buyout unless you are sure you will upgrade.

Does anyone else find it painful that one poster keeps defending a guy who single handedly destroyed our top 25 program in less than a year (or two) before he just upped and left us to live in the abyss for almost a decade since???

Last edited:
Reactions: gilligan 3
Does anyone else find it painful that one poster keeps defending a guy who single handedly destroyed our top 25 program in less than a year (or two) before he just upped and left us to live in the abyss for almost a decade since???

Blaming Barnes for Oregon State getting left out of the Big 12 or ACC is just ridiculous.

Barnes has been gone 7 years. He's no more responsible for Pitt basketball currently wandering around in "the abyss" than he is for Pitt football posting a 3-9 record in 2023.

And tbh, Pitt wasn't a top 25 program when Jamie left.

Dixon only won 7 out of his last 18 games at Pitt. In what universe is that a quality basketball?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT