ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers acquire Justin Fields for a 6th round pick

Honestly, they traded up from Kenny. Although i liked our Pitt guy, i think they made this move to give them more potential upside. That said only time will tell if it was the right move.
By trade value , which is a market price, Pickett > Fields and it's not even close. That means many GMs see Pickett as having the higher ceiling and it's easy to see why. Fields does not make good consistent quick decisions in the pocket. He is much better at making things happen outside of the pocket. That leads to an inconsistent offense.
The Steelers moves tell me they do not understand how to judge qbs. Neither Fields nor Wilson is known to be consistent executors that play with the structure of their offense. They are both known for their ability to make plays when things breakdown. The Steelers offense next year will be inefficient next year and probably more turnover prone. How does that lead to more victories??

Fields is garbage. But they didn’t give up anything. Steelers go dumpster diving for the most important position on the field
Well….they are paying more $ to Fields to be a backup which will limit Free Agent options and will have to decide by the end of May if they want to commit 25+ mil to Fields for his option year.

Reactions: pittbb80
By trade value , which is a market price, Pickett > Fields and it's not even close. That means many GMs see Pickett as having the higher ceiling and it's easy to see why. Fields does not make good consistent quick decisions in the pocket. He is much better at making things happen outside of the pocket. That leads to an inconsistent offense.
The Steelers moves tell me they do not understand how to judge qbs. Neither Fields nor Wilson is known to be consistent executors that play with the structure of their offense. They are both known for their ability to make plays when things breakdown. The Steelers offense next year will be inefficient next year and probably more turnover prone. How does that lead to more victories??
Maybe that will work since we know the Oline is shit

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
Neither Fields nor Wilson is known to be consistent executors that play with the structure of their offense. They are both known for their ability to make plays when things breakdown.
There was a guy who made a living off of doing the same thing down at Heinz.. He's going to Canton.

There was a guy who made a living off of doing the same thing down at Heinz.. He's going to Canton.
Please don't compare Wilson or worse, Fields to Ben.

Ben made a living in the pocket. He could make great plays outside of the pocket as well, but he killed it as a pocket passer as well. You don't have three 500 yard plus games and not be a consistent pocket passer.

Fields will cost the Steelers $25 million to have under contract for the 2025 season. They have to decided that by 5/2.
I’d be real surprised if they spend anymore than a couple seconds on that decision.

All they gave up was a 6th round pick for Fields, doubt very much if they made that trade planning to immediately commit to another $25 mil for next year.

If they don’t pick up option what was point of trading for him? and if they do pick up his option, they are picking up the $25mm+ option on a qb they don’t think can beat out a washed up locker room cancer.
The most negative post of the year right here!!

Pickett wasn't going to be the guy without it being a perfect scenario.

Everyone knew that.

Blame Canada (Rightfully). Blame Tomlin for sticking with Canada (Rightfully as well).

This is my written response:

I can better describe this botched job (Colbert included), through radio call ins but I'll leave it here.

Pickett wasn't the answer, he was the "HOPE"!!!..Canada was straight garbage, as all us football knowledgeable fans knew...it led to Tomlin slow playing Pickett's development (wasn't the intent).

The offensive play makers became then distraught (Diontae Johnson), which led to Pickens becoming distraught as well.....Terrible locker room leadership. Things became unraveled.

In steps Mason Rudolph who provided a sense of business like approach..he went out there and won games, with getting everyone involved. Offense now happy!!!

Now it's the 2024 off-season...Mitch proved his cut potential. Mason proved his worth throughout the league, and Pickett proved he wasn't willing to play the slow game anymore.

Hope it works for him (Pickett)!!

Now the future is with Justin Fields. I'm ready and willing to see where this goes. I'm excited, and nervous...but more excited. Especially knowing Arthur Smith can make things happen

They can't negotiate a different deal?
Fields has no incentive prior unless you given him a longer deal.

The most likely outcome this year is that who ever plays qb for the Steelers this year will at best put up average to slightly less than average results. The good news is the Steelers can easily part ways with Fields and WIlson. I don’t view either as a long-term solution.
The bad news is we are looking at having the same problem at qb next off-season. We need a quality qb to win the AFC North, and we don’t have it.

Please don't compare Wilson or worse, Fields to Ben.

Ben made a living in the pocket. He could make great plays outside of the pocket as well, but he killed it as a pocket passer as well. You don't have three 500 yard plus games and not be a consistent pocket passer.
If you took out Ben's ability to extend plays especially early on his career when every DC in the league knew he was average in the pocket, he would've been out of the league by year 5.

He eventually became a good not great pocket passer.

Steve Young used to crucify Ben because of his inability to process information in the pocket. But, it was Ben's physical traits that allowed him to be more than effective as a QB.

Case in point - watch a prime Ben where he was leading the league in YPA. He was phenomenal between the 20's. Inside the 20's where pocket passing and execution are critical, he was often average or below average.

Fields will cost the Steelers $25 million to have under contract for the 2025 season. They have to decided that by 5/2.
They don’t have to pick up the option to keep him. They could decline the option and sign him to another contract for a few years. If he doesn’t see the field then I guess he wouldn’t have many interested teams since we only gave a sixth round pick for him

Reactions: Farnox
Fields has no incentive prior unless you given him a longer deal.

The most likely outcome this year is that who ever plays qb for the Steelers this year will at best put up average to slightly less than average results. The good news is the Steelers can easily part ways with Fields and WIlson. I don’t view either as a long-term solution.
The bad news is we are looking at having the same problem at qb next off-season. We need a quality qb to win the AFC North, and we don’t have it.

Your scenario where the Steelers and Fields part ways would seem to me to be incentive. Not sure how much he would expect to make if he doesn't play this year and then is a free agent. I'll admit I could be wrong, but I suspect they'll work something out, seems like it would be in the best interest of both parties.

They don’t have to pick up the option to keep him. They could decline the option and sign him to another contract for a few years. If he doesn’t see the field then I guess he wouldn’t have many interested teams since we only gave a sixth round pick for him
They don’t have to pick up the option. If they don’t, just realize they will not have an qb on the roster now under contract beyond this year. We are opening this year with the 3rd different starter at qb since Ben left. I suspect 2025 will make it 4 years with a different starter on opening day.

Just note, that‘s a trend that is almost Cleveland like. 😱

Well….they are paying more $ to Fields to be a backup which will limit Free Agent options and will have to decide by the end of May if they want to commit 25+ mil to Fields for his option year.
No way they’re exercising his fifth-year option, is there?

No you don’t understand. He has so much upside the bears could only get a 6th round pick from a team desperate for a qb. lol.

Mike Tomlin the qb whisperer will get the most out of fields with his innovative offense
We gave up 2 years of rookie deal of Kenny for 1 year of a rookie deal of Fields .

Listen- Russ was going to be the starter -
But now we have zero QBs signed for 2025.

This isn’t the master stroke folks are claiming. At least they could have signed Mason cheap since his market value also sucked to have some consistency

Dude, we got a flat 12-pack of Fresca for Kenny Pickett and gave up freezer-burned Screwball that a raccoon bit into and stole the gumball at the bottom for Fields. Let's not act like the difference was drastic. And if Fields gets 51% of the snaps the total given up grades out almost exactly the same, per the draft value chart, in spite of Pickett having one more year of control.

Reactions: pittmeister
We gave up 2 years of rookie deal of Kenny for 1 year of a rookie deal of Fields .

Listen- Russ was going to be the starter -
But now we have zero QBs signed for 2025.

This isn’t the master stroke folks are claiming. At least they could have signed Mason cheap since his market value also sucked to have some consistency

Consistency with what? We have a new OC.
Why is having zero QBs for 2025 an issue? Not like there's 2 drafts and countless veteran FA backups between now and then.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
At least this will be interesting. And now they at least have a younger option on the roster, I'd still pick a QB in the middle or late rounds, or at least sign an undrafted FA, they need at least one more

Reactions: SteelerPittFan87
And Kenny was accurate and reading defenses? I didn't want Fields and I didn't really want to trade Kenny yet but quit with the fantasy that Kenny has been good and only Canada was at fault.
Kenny is gone
He has nothing to do with my posts, ya OCD Tourette tic of a human !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT