ADVERTISEMENT

The Scott Frost farewell tour is officially

Dixon didn’t want to coach in the ACC. It didn’t matter what the fans thought; he was leaving on his own.

Reactions: 303vND
I still contend the 2 programs most hurt in all the conference reshuffling to the ACC and b10 etc, changing leagues etc

nebraska football
pitt basketball

WVU football in the conversation
What is funny though.....you can make an argument outside of Hoops, Pitt's Athletic Department may have had the biggest step up of any program who switched conferences the last 20 years.

Dixon/Pitt was a relationship that needed to end. It ran its course for all parties. It is not Jamie, nor the fans nor anyone aside from Scott Barnes and Pat Gallagher for hiring Kevin Stallings who was ready to be fired at Vandy. That was the ultimate crash and burn decision. It was like replacing Mike Gottfried with Paul Hackett.

That’s total bullshit
You are welcome to believe whatever you choose, but he made lots of comments about recruiting difficulties leaving the Big East for the ACC.

Jamie didn’t want to leave the Big East.

“CBS college basketball insider Jon Rothstein appeared on CBS Sports Radio's "Tiki and Tierney" Monday.

"Jamie has told confidants that he feels it is time to move on from Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh's geographic recruiting footprint has changed a lot since Pitt went from the Big East to the ACC," he said.”

You are welcome to believe whatever you choose, but he made lots of comments about recruiting difficulties leaving the Big East for the ACC.

“CBS college basketball insider Jon Rothstein appeared on CBS Sports Radio's "Tiki and Tierney" Monday.

"Jamie has told confidants that he feels it is time to move on from Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh's geographic recruiting footprint has changed a lot since Pitt went from the Big East to the ACC," he said.”

He is playing in the B12 with a far worse recruiting footprint at a terrible program .
It’s a silly premise
The recruiting territory didn’t change .

Reactions: CrazyPaco
He is playing in the B12 with a far worse recruiting footprint at a terrible program .
It’s a silly premise
The recruiting territory didn’t change .
You can call him silly if you want, but he said it on more than one occasion. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Jamie Wooden has failed to make it past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament for 12 straight years.

He's at a place where the fans will probably appreciate bubble teams and first weekend exits. He should be able to milk those type of results for at least a decade at TCU.

While it is true that Jamie didn't want to leave the Big East, no Big East coach did. Dixon also said that if Pitt had to leave a conference, it should be for the ACC. The ACC move had zero...absolutely zero to do with Dixon's departure.

Dixon's exit was actively expedited by Barnes. And after 16 straight winning seasons and post-season tournaments, Pitt has accumulated 6 straight losing seasons to show for it.

While it is true that Jamie didn't want to leave the Big East, no Big East coach did. Dixon also said that if Pitt had to leave a conference, it should be for the ACC. The ACC move had zero...absolutely zero to do with Dixon's departure.

Dixon's exit was actively expedited by Barnes. And after 16 straight winning seasons and post-season tournaments, Pitt has accumulated 6 straight losing seasons to show for it.
That may be true, but after the success Pitt had for a decade, he really let the program slide. The product was stale and wasn't winning at a high level.

.500 conference records, barely qualifying for the tourney, and repeated early exits don't cut it.

That may be true, but after the success Pitt had for a decade, he really let the program slide. The product was stale and wasn't winning at a high level.

.500 conference records, barely qualifying for the tourney, and repeated early exits don't cut it.
Agreed. Let's not pretend that things were good and getting better. The trend was in the wrong direction.

I certainly was not one of those who wanted him gone or was happy that he was ousted--as a matter of fact I was stunned by that and never saw it coming. There was no valid basis to justify pushing him out. After it happened, my mindset was, OK, the program was stagnant and stuck in neutral, the right hire could breathe some life into it. And then the Stallings news dropped, along with my hopes that maybe we would hire someone dynamic and on the rise.

Jamie was never going to be be the glory days Jamie again, but he would have kept the program alive, more competitive than not, and worth watching. The disaster that the program became was one of Pitt's own making. A bungling of the highest order.

And please, let's not pretend that the NIT or worse yet the CBI should count as part of the "16 straight postseason tournaments." Let's not pretend that an established P5 basketball team that doesn't make the NCAA tournament had a successful season. Every coach, player, administrator and fan considers that a failure.

LMFAO. I'd take barely qualifying for NCAA tournament. Never paid attention to how other programs with much greater pedigree go through mediocre stretches I guess. Honestly, Pitt fans with this attitude, still espousing this attitude after the last six disastrous years, deserve every one of the last six seasons and counting.

Last edited:
Agreed. Let's not pretend that things were good and getting better. The trend was in the wrong direction.

I certainly was not one of those who wanted him gone or was happy that he was ousted--as a matter of fact I was stunned by that and never saw it coming. There was no valid basis to justify pushing him out. After it happened, my mindset was, OK, the program was stagnant and stuck in neutral, the right hire could breathe some life into it. And then the Stallings news dropped, along with my hopes that maybe we would hire someone dynamic and on the rise.

Jamie was never going to be be the glory days Jamie again, but he would have kept the program alive, more competitive than not, and worth watching. The disaster that the program became was one of Pitt's own making. A bungling of the highest order.

And please, let's not pretend that the NIT or worse yet the CBI should count as part of the "16 straight postseason tournaments." Let's not pretend that an established P5 basketball team that doesn't make the NCAA tournament had a successful season. Every coach, player, administrator and fan considers that a failure.
Yes, I'd take sniffing an NIT or a even CBI championship with wins at Hinkle and at Washington State. LMFAO at fans that did and continue to turn up their nose at those tournaments like Pitt was too good for the CBI, but Washington, UVA, Cincy, Colorado, Utah, St. John's, Butler, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, Purdue, Texas, Texas A&M, etc, were not.

Last edited:

Yeah 3/4 ncaa tournament appearances is quite the slide .
Then your boy set the program on fire

LMFAO. I'd take barely qualifying for NCAA tournament. Never paid attention to how other programs go through mediocre stretches I guess. Honestly, Pitt fans like you deserve every one of the last six seasons and counting.
That's you.

When it comes to sustained mediocrity or flat out sucking, I don't really find either one worth supporting. I'm content to pass on both.

Yeah 3/4 ncaa tournament appearances is quite the slide .
Then your boy set the program on fire
45-45 conference record - 1 NCAA Tourney win in 3 appearances his last 5 years.

Dixon was well on his way to being shitcanned and taking the program another rung down in 2 more years all by himself. I'm glad he found a landing spot where mediocrity is appreciated. He's a good fit there.

45-45 conference record - 1 NCAA Tourney win in 3 appearances his last 5 years.

Dixon was well on his way to being shitcanned and taking the program another rung down in 2 more years all by himself. I'm glad he found a landing spot where mediocrity is appreciated. He's a good fit there.

similar to when walt lost Morelli & Johnson, once Dixon lost Herron & Rowan his recruiting mojo was gone (it was never that strong to begin with).

This isn't a mutually exclusive thing. it wasn't bad to move on from Dixon and also admit that the subsequent strategy was badly bungled (again with the football analogy, not bad to move on from Wannstedt but also acknowledging that there was no plan in place to improve on him).

But this is three days away from the biggest opening game in over 15 years, so it's kind of funny this is even being discussed now.

similar to when walt lost Morelli & Johnson, once Dixon lost Herron & Rowan his recruiting mojo was gone (it was never that strong to begin with).

This isn't a mutually exclusive thing. it wasn't bad to move on from Dixon and also admit that the subsequent strategy was badly bungled (again with the football analogy, not bad to move on from Wannstedt but also acknowledging that there was no plan in place to improve on him).

But this is three days away from the biggest opening game in over 15 years, so it's kind of funny this is even being discussed now.

I have absolute no inside information, but I'm of the belief that had Jamie wanted to force the issue and remain at Pitt, he most likely could have. TCU opened up and it became a landing spot that just made too much sense, and agents that work behind the scenes made that happen.

You have to totally turn a blind eye to the 5 year trend, as well as the state of the roster/recruiting to think that it was going to end well for Jamie had he stayed.

Also, the irony of the outrage over the Stallings hire is lost on Dixon supporters, as Stallings last 5 years at Vandy pretty much mirror Dixon's last 5 at Pitt.

There really is no such thing as succession planning in these matters. Even when there is, it often gets blown up. Too much money and the situations are always fluid. Once the plug is pulled, these schools are winging it 99% of the time.

Go Pitt!

Yes, I'd take sniffing an NIT or a even CBI championship with wins at Hinkle and at Washington State. LMFAO at fans that did and continue to turn up their nose at those tournaments like Pitt was too good for the CBI, but Washington, UVA, Cincy, Colorado, Utah, St. John's, Butler, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, Purdue, Texas, Texas A&M, etc, were not.
Every one of those programs and fanbases considered it a failed season when they didn't make the NCAAs. For several of those teams a failed season is not making a deep tournament run; not making it at all is disaster. LMFAO at anyone who disagrees with that.

Anyway, it's not the point. The point is I don't think anyone was happy about JD leaving even though all but a few JIGers felt his program had stagnated and was not trending the right way. I KNOW nobody was happy with what happened after he left. After pushing Dixon out, which was a laughable F-up by any measure even before the Stallings hire was announced, Pitt at least had an opportunity to try to pump a little energy back into the program with the right hire. They butchered it. When Stallings was announced I have no doubt that every Pitt fan's heart sank.

Every one of those programs and fanbases considered it a failed season when they didn't make the NCAAs. For several of those teams a failed season is not making a deep tournament run; not making it at all is disaster. LMFAO at anyone who disagrees with that.

Anyway, it's not the point. The point is I don't think anyone was happy about JD leaving even though all but a few JIGers felt his program had stagnated and was not trending the right way. I KNOW nobody was happy with what happened after he left. After pushing Dixon out, which was a laughable F-up by any measure even before the Stallings hire was announced, Pitt at least had an opportunity to try to pump a little energy back into the program with the right hire. They butchered it. When Stallings was announced I have no doubt that every Pitt fan's heart sank.

Every one of the coaches and players from those programs grabbed the opportunity to extend the season, compete, get experience, and win something. People who thought Pitt was too good for the CBI, or even the NIT, were wrong then, and are still wrong now. If you have a chance to play, you take it, because that is what a competitor does and any coach worth a damn will take the opportunity to teach a little longer. Taking that Pitt team on the road to win at Hinkle against a Brad Stevens coached team coming off the national championship game alone was worth it.

Dixon's program had dipped. We have no idea if it stagnated. Most programs go through cycles, and down cycles can be fixed with one recruiting class. Having top 5 seeds, and Pitt's general 15 year level of consistency was unbelievably rare, and not at all the norm, nor should it have been expected to be maintained indefinitely. If anyone actually follows college basketball outside of Pitt, they'd realize even hall of fame coaches have stretches where there teams level off or fall out of the post-season. The masses calling for Dixon to be replaced were clearly stupid idiots then, and history has not been kind to them since. Nor was Pitt going to get any coach with any pedigree near what those fans wanted, for many reasons, but especially it wasn't going to happen in the wake of how Dixon was treated...and don't doubt for a second that the coaching community took notice of what happened...so what Pitt got in Stallings was exactly the kind of has-been washout anyone following the sport should have predicted. The best thing to happen to Pitt, in retrospect, was Barnes picking up an leaving as soon as he did.

Every one of the coaches and players from those programs grabbed the opportunity to extend the season, compete, get experience, and win something. People who thought Pitt was too good for the CBI, or even the NIT, were wrong then, and are still wrong now. If you have a chance to play, you take it, because that is what a competitor does and any coach worth a damn will take the opportunity to teach a little longer. Taking that Pitt team on the road to win at Hinkle against a Brad Stevens coached team coming off the national championship game alone was worth it.

Dixon's program had dipped. We have no idea if it stagnated. Most programs go through cycles, and down cycles can be fixed with one recruiting class. Having top 5 seeds, and Pitt's general 15 year level of consistency was unbelievably rare, and not at all the norm, nor should it have been expected to be maintained indefinitely. If anyone actually follows college basketball outside of Pitt, they'd realize even hall of fame coaches have stretches where there teams level off or fall out of the post-season. The masses calling for Dixon to be replaced were clearly stupid idiots then, and history has not been kind to them since. Nor was Pitt going to get any coach with any pedigree near what those fans wanted, for many reasons, but especially it wasn't going to happen in the wake of how Dixon was treated...and don't doubt for a second that the coaching community took notice of what happened...so what Pitt got in Stallings was exactly the kind of has-been washout anyone following the sport should have predicted. The best thing to happen to Pitt, in retrospect, was Barnes picking up an leaving as soon as he did.
People who thought Pitt was too good for the CBI, or even the NIT, were wrong then, and are still wrong now. If you have a chance to play, you take it, because that is what a competitor does and any coach worth a damn will take the opportunity to teach a little longer.

Not disagreeing with that at all--don't confuse me with those posters who thought we should turn down the CBI invite, that's not what I was talking about nor is it even readable between the lines from my post. You play any chance you can in the postseason, that's a no-brainer. All I'm saying about that is that a CBI bid or for that matter an NIT bid is a disappointing consolation prize for a disappointing regular season. I doubt there could be much disagreement about that.

2 or 3 years are a dip. 5 years & there was really nothing in the recruiting pipeline to suggest better days were ahead. It was stagnant, boring, and going to get much worse. Jamie was smart to take the lifeline thrown by TCU.

2 or 3 years are a dip. 5 years & there was really nothing in the recruiting pipeline to suggest better days were ahead. It was stagnant, boring, and going to get much worse. Jamie was smart to take the lifeline thrown by TCU.
Your boy sucks and your other boy is 0.500 his last two seasons

We know you’re a vandy fanboy
Yeah, absolutely. His Vandy teams were fun to watch & I spent several years in Nashvegas. Why would I not be? Stallings had a nice 15+ year run at Vandy.

I'm a big Jamie fan too.

I wasn't in favor of either school moving on when they did, but it was obvious both guys had tenures that had ran their course and the best days were in the rear view mirror. And neither are tournament coaches, which is a huge black mark on both resumes since college basketball is a tournament sport.

For full disclosure, I'm a big fan of Pitt football first and foremost. That's what I care about. I follow Pitt hoops some, but I can take it or leave it. I'm on the UVA bandwagon now, as I live in UVA & my kids have become huge Wahoo fans. (which I strongly encourage for basketball - I'm still trying to turn him for football)

I wouldn't call the people who were calling for Dixon to be replaced "masses". It was a vocal minority.

I really think losing those two guys is what contributed the most to the program falling off. You can't ever expect guys to stick around forever so you need to find the next guy that can recruit places like NYC and Philly.

We know you’re a vandy fanboy
Yeah, absolutely. His Vandy teams were fun to watch & I spent several years in Nashvegas. Why would I not be? Stallings had a nice 15+ year run at Vandy.

I'm a big Jamie fan too.

I wasn't in favor of either school moving on when they did, but it was obvious both guys had tenures that had ran their course and the best days were in the rear view mirror. And neither are tournament coaches, which is a huge black mark on both resumes since college basketball is a tournament sport.

For full disclosure, I'm a big fan of Pitt football first and foremost. That's what I care about. I follow Pitt hoops some, but I can take it or leave it. I'm on the UVA bandwagon now, as I live in UVA & my kids have become huge Wahoo fans. (which I strongly encourage for basketball - I'm still trying to turn him for football)
I never knew Vandy had fan boys.

I have a buddy who did his masters there, not sure he even knows they have a football or basketball team.

I never knew Vandy had fan boys.

I have a buddy who did his masters there, not sure he even knows they have a football or basketball team.

I used to do some business in Nashville. I think they have it worse than us. Competing with a pro team. I went to the Opry springs mall and was surprised at the amount of Vols gear at the stores, probably more than Vandy. I asked a local who was with us about this and he said that no one really cares that much about Vandy football. He was also disappointed that Franklin left and said they would have built a statue of him had he stayed since they never saw that many wins before.

Reactions: TD_6082
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT