ADVERTISEMENT

These guys are relentless - WTF?

Looks to me that this was a swap of KP for JF.
The Steelers look at Fields size, arm strength, running ability and general athleticism and like him in Smith's offense more than they liked KP.
So, they made the move.
KP had plenty of chances here, but failed to seize the job for a variety of reasons.
Clearly, the Steelers think Fields > Pickett.
Time will tell if they are right.

KP being from Pitt was always in the cross hairs of a lot of Steeler fans. As people point out, there is a lot of Ped Staters and Hoopies in this fan base. There are also a lot of Tomlin haters who are prepared to jump on anything he touches.
There is also a segment of the Media, Madden and others, who are sour on Tomlin AND Pitt. Shock Jocks who just toss hating takes out there for effect and hits.

Nothing anyone can do about them. Just hope KP latches on somewhere where he can prove the wrong. KP seems like a good guy, and he certainly had a nice Sr. season at Pitt. He's still in the NFL, which in and of itself is a big deal.

probably one of the most rational posts in this thread

Reactions: pittmeister
The Steelers look at Fields size, arm strength, running ability and general athleticism and like him in Smith's offense more than they liked KP.
So, they made the move.
KP had plenty of chances here, but failed to seize the job for a variety of reasons.

KP being from Pitt was always in the cross hairs of a lot of Steeler fans. As people point out, there is a lot of Ped Staters and Hoopies in this fan base. There are also a lot of Tomlin haters who are prepared to jump on anything he touches.
There is also a segment of the Media, Madden and others, who are sour on Tomlin AND Pitt. Shock Jocks who just toss hating takes out there for effect and hits.

Nothing anyone can do about them. Just hope KP latches on somewhere where he can prove the wrong. KP seems like a good guy, and he certainly had a nice Sr. season at Pitt. He's still in the NFL, which in and of itself is a big deal.
I think thats a fair assessment. Id only add that from "reports" they appeared to be interested in fields all along and pulled the trigger quickly once they off loaded Picket. This is conjecture on my part but I think they told him Russ was going to be the starter in hopes of him asking to be traded. No big deal its a business and KP is still in the league pulling down big bucks.

Not sure what KPs cap hit is versus fields but it appears they may also have gotten more room to sign free agents needed at other positions.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
what other stuff you got besides that (which is very debatable about being true. DK has said it isn't, and the ones saying it is true are the Pickett haters like Madden and Dulac)? For a "die hard" fan you sure like to put down one of our own
I don't really care that much; I just get annoyed at the defend Kenny at all cost Pitt homers and the types who believe there is an anti-Pitt conspiracy. I very badly wanted the Steelers to draft Kenny, but he didn't play well enough as a Steeler and at that point, as a die-hard Steelers fan I prefer better QB play than he was delivering, so I'm fine with trying someone else. and yes I'm a die-hard Pitt football fan. usually go to one or 2 games per year for the last 35 years, that's a lot, I doubt the majority of Pitt fans have gone to that many and haven't missed a game I could watch on TV probably since the 70s, so yeah, I'm a die-hard fan. Give an example of me sticking up for PSU?

So, they made the move.
This ^^^ plus sorry but it's true, Kenny didn't play well enough.

I don't really care that much; I just get annoyed at the defend Kenny at all cost Pitt homers and the types who believe there is an anti-Pitt conspiracy. I very badly wanted the Steelers to draft Kenny, but he didn't play well enough as a Steeler and at that point, as a die-hard Steelers fan I prefer better QB play than he was delivering, so I'm fine with trying someone else. and yes I'm a die-hard Pitt football fan. usually go to one or 2 games per year for the last 35 years, that's a lot, I doubt the majority of Pitt fans have gone to that many and haven't missed a game I could watch on TV probably since the 70s, so yeah, I'm a die-hard fan. Give an example of me sticking up for PSU?

I'm tired of debating, you made you feeling known quite often. time will tell whether yinzer nation made the right decision running Pickett out of town. I thought he deserved one more year under a new OC and being healthy to prove his worth. He was 7-4 before the injury, and I think with him playing the Steelers don't lose those two terrible games and would win the same three that Mason did.

I posted earlier I think Tomlin may be under the gun to win a playoff game or else. He hasn't signed an extension and perhaps thinks Wilson gives him a better shot at winning immediately than Pickett does. Guess we'll see.

Mason's agent went to the Steelers HQ to sign a contract that essentially matched what Trubitsky had gotten....and when they got there, were told about the Steelers plan to sign Russell Wilson.
I heard this somewhere on here before. Id there an article or something? Where is this coming from?

If you don't think that tub of goo Madden doesn't have a hard on for Pitt, you haven't been paying attention.

Look at his article today slamming the Pitt BB team. He ridicules Pitt at every opportunity and his Twitter feed is constant bashing Pitt and KP, who he absolutely reviles.

There are others, but he is the worst.
Not acknowledging there are haters, just makes you look like a closed minded fool.

If you don't think that tub of goo Madden doesn't have a hard on for Pitt, you haven't been paying attention.

Not acknowledging there are haters, just makes you look like a closed minded fool.

Yohe is a very close second. He might actually be 1B with Madden 1A. Dulac, Benz, Adamski aren't far behind. You could also include non-active media like Hagman, Biertemfel, Smizek and Cook in that list as well.

Yohe is a very close second. He might actually be 1B with Madden 1A. Dulac, Benz, Adamski aren't far behind. You could also include non-active media like Hagman, Biertemfel, Smizek and Cook in that list as well.
Yohe and Kaboly are trying to set themselves up as the post madden era stooges. The problem I see is that all 3 look to be in pretty rough health so who knows who outlasts who.

Look at his article today slamming the Pitt BB team. He ridicules Pitt at every opportunity and his Twitter feed is constant bashing Pitt and KP, who he absolutely reviles.

He’s a troll. It’s how he gets most of his audience to pay attention. He know Pitt fans will take the bait

Reactions: brickfhouse
I'm tired of debating, you made you feeling known quite often. time will tell whether yinzer nation made the right decision running Pickett out of town. I thought he deserved one more year under a new OC and being healthy to prove his worth. He was 7-4 before the injury, and I think with him playing the Steelers don't lose those two terrible games and would win the same three that Mason did.

I posted earlier I think Tomlin may be under the gun to win a playoff game or else. He hasn't signed an extension and perhaps thinks Wilson gives him a better shot at winning immediately than Pickett does. Guess we'll see.
Yinzer Nation didn't "run Pickett out of town" that's just the rantings of Pitt paranoia, people who are out of their minds and think a cabal of evil Nitters run coordinated smear campaigns against Pitt, he just plain didn't perform very well at all, he just wasn't very good. I can't believe you don't see the obvious?

The whole world is against Pitt? Is there anyone that doesn't hate Pitt?

So, they made the move.

I think reality hates much of what Tomlin touches more than any “haters.” Unless you like not winning in the playoffs and a constant recitation of senseless platitudes.

Yinzer Nation didn't "run Pickett out of town" that's just the rantings of Pitt paranoia, people who are out of their minds and think a cabal of evil Nitters run coordinated smear campaigns against Pitt, he just plain didn't perform very well at all, he just wasn't very good. I can't believe you don't see the obvious?

He was 7-4 as a starter in his second year. Yet you are ready to give up on him, even with the hiring of a new offensive coordinator.

This time I'm through responding to you on this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
Who is moving the goal posts. If Wilson was such a great starting option, some team other than the Steelers would have been interested and offered him a better contract. The fact is NO OTHER TEAM wanted him as a starter. The Steelers did and had no competition signing him. In a league where winning Qbs are at a premium, no one signs a starting QB for the league minimum unless NO other team sees him as a starter. This isnt hard.

Yeah right. Any GM who passed up higher trade returns to do a player a favor is flat out dumb and would be fired on the spot. clearly you believe everything you read. This is basic logic 101.

No one denies KP was hated by the media and fans. The organization also decided he wasnt part of their plans so he decided to leave a toxic situation and move on. Its a business. The steelers did what they think is best and KP did what he thinks is best for him He didnt bad mouth the organization and went about his business professionally. Yet Yinzer nation is all but hurt he didnt stick around
When you say they're only paying him the league minimum, you're just saying you don't understand how he's getting paid in 2024.

The Broncos owe Wilson his $39 million salary for 2024 minus whatever he'd sign for with another team. He's making $39 million no matter what. The only difference is where that money comes from. If the Steelers were to pay him $10 million, then the Broncos would only have to pay him $29 million. Even if he was Tom Brady in his prime, it would make absolutely no sense for any team to pay him more than the minimum. The Steelers are getting a free $38 million salary and cap space from the Broncos.

If Wilson was a free agent with no guaranteed salary from his previous team, he would command much more money on the open market.

When you say they're only paying him the league minimum, you're just saying you don't understand how he's getting paid in 2024.

The Broncos owe Wilson his $39 million salary for 2024 minus whatever he'd sign for with another team. He's making $39 million no matter what. The only difference is where that money comes from. If the Steelers were to pay him $10 million, then the Broncos would only have to pay him $29 million. Even if he was Tom Brady in his prime, it would make absolutely no sense for any team to pay him more than the minimum. The Steelers are getting a free $38 million salary and cap space from the Broncos.

If Wilson was a free agent with no guaranteed salary from his previous team, he would command much more money on the open market.
I’m well aware of that. He was on the OPen maket . The point is he’s getting the league minimum because there was no completion for his services. If there were he’d be making more. And I can guaren dam tee you if it was Tim Brady m his prime there would have been almost all NFL teams bidding for his services and he would not be playing for the minimum. Hes making the league minimum because NO ONe else wanted him Supply and demand isn’t a hard concept

I’m well aware of that. He was on the OPen maket . The point is he’s getting the league minimum because there was no completion for his services. If there were he’d be making more. And I can guaren dam tee you if it was Tim Brady m his prime there would have been almost all NFL teams bidding for his services and he would not be playing for the minimum. Hes making the league minimum because NO ONe else wanted him Supply and demand isn’t a hard concept
I'm not even trying to argue his value, I'm trying to explain his contract situation. You don't get it it. The Steelers paying more than the league minimum would have no impact on his salary other than helping the Broncos to pay less and hitting the Steelers cap instead of the Broncos. The new team paying the league minimum is not indictive of value in in any. His value on the open market is somewhere in between the minimum and $39 million, but cannot be determined because of his guaranteed salary.

Another way to look at it is if the Browns offered him $15 million and the Steelers offered him $1.21 million. In this case there is no difference. He doesn't get a penny more by going to the Browns. He still gets paid $39 million total either way. In that case the Browns are just stupid because their using their own capssoace and money when they don't have to.

Can you give a legitimate reason why a team would pay more money in this situation? Let's say the Steelers owed KP $39 million for 2024 and several teams were vying for his services because the Steelers were releasing him. Why does a team pay more than the minimum for him? And how would that entice KP to go to that team knowing that he's locked in at a $39 million paycheck for 2024? Let's say the Giants offer him the minimum of $1.21 million and the Chiefs offer him $38 million. Who does he go to and why?

I'm not even trying to argue his value, I'm trying to explain his contract situation. You don't get it it. The Steelers paying more than the league minimum would have no impact on his salary other than helping the Broncos to pay less and hitting the Steelers cap instead of the Broncos. The new team paying the league minimum is not indictive of value in in any. His value on the open market is somewhere in between the minimum and $39 million, but cannot be determined because of his guaranteed salary.

Another way to look at it is if the Browns offered him $15 million and the Steelers offered him $1.21 million. In this case there is no difference. He doesn't get a penny more by going to the Browns. He still gets paid $39 million total either way. In that case the Browns are just stupid because their using their own capssoace and money when they don't have to.

Can you give a legitimate reason why a team would pay more money in this situation? Let's say the Steelers owed KP $39 million for 2024 and several teams were vying for his services because the Steelers were releasing him. Why does a team pay more than the minimum for him? And how would that entice KP to go to that team knowing that he's locked in at a $39 million paycheck for 2024? Let's say the Giants offer him the minimum of $1.21 million and the Chiefs offer him $38 million. Who does he go to and why?
What the broncos owe him has nothing to do with what he gets paid on the open market

You’re arguing that his next context is capped by what the broncos owe him and I’d be shocked if that were true

Once the. broncos cut him he’s a free agent and can negotiate a new contact with any team that is not limited by what the broncos owe him. So IF other teams were interested they would be bidding for his services against eachother. He’d have ended up getting paid more than the league minimum

What the broncos owe him has nothing to do with what he gets paid on the open market

You’re arguing that his next context is capped by what the broncos owe him and I’d be shocked if that were true

Once the. broncos cut him he’s a free agent and can negotiate a new contact with any team that is not limited by what the broncos owe him. So IF other teams were interested they would be bidding for his services against eachother. He’d have ended up getting paid more than the league minimum
Thats totally wrong and that's what I'm trying to tell you. Go look it up.

It's not capped though. If the Steelers wanted to pay him $56 million for 2024 and make him the highest paid play in the league, they could, and the Broncos would pay nothing in that case. So if you're argument is nobody paid him more than $39 million, that's valid, its just a very poor argument because $39 million already makes him a top 10 salary in the league and it would require a team to be dumb enough to waste $39 million of their own cap space when they don't have to.

It's not capped though. If the Steelers wanted to pay him $56 million for 2024 and make him the highest paid play in the league, they could, and the Broncos would pay nothing in that case. So if you're argument is nobody paid him more than $39 million, that's valid, its just a very poor argument because $39 million already makes him a top 10 salary in the league and it would require a team to be dumb enough to waste $39 million of their own cap space when they don't have

"nObOdY wAnTeD fIeLdS"
Source: Trust me bro.

Ian Rapoport:

Inquired. If they wanted him they would have traded for him. Sounds like his agents are trying to put a happy face on being traded for nothing. He can’t refuse shit

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

It's not capped though. If the Steelers wanted to pay him $56 million for 2024 and make him the highest paid play in the league, they could, and the Broncos would pay nothing in that case. So if you're argument is nobody paid him more than $39 million, that's valid, its just a very poor argument because $39 million already makes him a top 10 salary in the league and it would require a team to be dumb enough to waste $39 million of their own cap space when they don't have to.
From what I read there was nothing stopping teams from offering more if there were competition for his services In your example if it were Brady he wouldn’t be playing for the minimum. Teams would have been lining up to out bid for him.

Inquired. If they wanted him they would have traded for him. Sounds like his agents are trying to put a happy face on being traded for nothing. He can’t refuse shit
So you think Ian Rapoport, who has built his career and reputation around being one of the most reliable league sources decided to roll the dice and put it all on the line for a Justin Fields tweet? If you can find a source that refutes that other than your own mind, let me know.

From what I read there was nothing stopping teams from offering more if there were competition for his services In your example if it were Brady he wouldn’t be playing for the minimum. Teams would have been lining up to out bid for him.

You can offer him more but it means nothing. He still gets paid $39 million it just hits your cap space instead of the Broncos. It's called an offset.

Please cite your source that refutes that. Here's one of about 100 explaining my argument:

Reactions: ncyajleel
So you think they just are using him as a stopgap, one year backup? Believe what you want, I think their intent or hope is that he develops into a long-term option, they probably intend to have at least a package of plays for him to get him on the field this year regularly.
I believe he was the body available that they could bring in and hope for the best with very low expectations. If they can make it work financially, there isn't much risk other than it betrays the notion that they are operating with a "win now" mentality.

So you think Ian Rapoport, who has built his career and reputation around being one of the most reliable league sources decided to roll the dice and put it all on the line for a Justin Fields tweet? If you can find a source that refutes that other than your own mind, let me know.
I get what you're saying but how does a guy on a rookie deal block a trade? I suppose it could be in the contract (Rookies get that now?) or that the Bears were kind enough to let him pick but on face value seems far fetched.

All Ian Rapoport said was that Fields requested not to be traded to other teams that allegedly inquired. That's it. Did those other teams even make an offer? Was the offer more valuable to the Bears? It sure seems like the Fields camp is spinning as to why he didn't command much value in the marketplace. But in any case, there is absolutely nothing in Rapoport's tweets or that article that says other teams offered more for Fields than the Steelers did. Nothing.

In order to offer him more a team would have had to go above what Denver was already on the hook for. And there is absolutely no chance that was ever gonna happen.

It’s clear you can’t see it but you’re looking at this incorrectly. Again in theory a team could have have offered him 60 million and you’d be correct. That was never gonna happen. So there’s no reason to offer him more than the minimum. It’d be pissing money away.

And just so it’s clear - he’s not getting the minimum on top of what Denver owes. Whatever money he got is deducted from what Denver owes him.

I believe he was the body available that they could bring in and hope for the best with very low expectations. If they can make it work financially, there isn't much risk other than it betrays the notion that they are operating with a "win now" mentality.
I'd love it if they'd drop the "win now" mentality and just commit to a total ground up rebuild.

I'd love it if they'd drop the "win now" mentality and just commit to a total ground up rebuild.
There's too much talent on the roster to not try to win.
EciAYQJX0AAFPPA.jpg

There's too much talent on the roster to not try to win.
EciAYQJX0AAFPPA.jpg
I'm not even sure about that, that's what they tell us, but it doesn't look great. Maybe it looks bad because of bad QB play and a horrible, gutless, play scared offensive philosophy from the 70s.

Slick - I gave up on him pages ago. Don't burn anymore cycles on him.

Slick - I gave up on him pages ago. Don't burn anymore cycles on him.
Don't waste your time, I'm right about everything and you've been unable to disprove it. You are mainly Pitt homers, wearing blue- and gold-colored glasses and refusing to look at things objectively and on top of that you have a paranoia that the media world is all evil Nitters with a coordinated anti Pitt agenda, that in reality just doesn't exist.

THE TEAM, ESPECIALLY THE DEFENSE WAS 7-4
It's funny how Yinzers blame the QB first and foremost when a team loses but give them zero credit when the team wins. Yinzers are just so predictable about that.

But OK Yinzer79, leaving the most important thing aside (wins and losses are what count most, after all), if you honestly don't think QB play improved greatly after Canada's departure then you aren't serious.

Pickett with Canada as OC last season:
60.5% completion percentage and a passer rating of 79.2

Pickett after Canada was fired:
72.1% completion percentage and a passer rating of 95.9

His post-Canada passer rating (with the same putrid offensive line) would have ranked him 12th among all NFL QBs.

It's funny how Yinzers blame the QB first and foremost when a team loses but give them zero credit when the team wins. Yinzers are just so predictable about that.

But OK Yinzer79, leaving the most important thing aside (wins and losses are what count most, after all), if you honestly don't think QB play improved greatly after Canada's departure then you aren't serious.

Pickett with Canada as OC last season:
60.5% completion percentage and a passer rating of 79.2

Pickett after Canada was fired:
72.1% completion percentage and a passer rating of 95.9

His post-Canada passer rating (with the same putrid offensive line) would have ranked him 12th among all NFL QBs.
He had games of 97.1 and 108.5 with Canada, still with very little offensive production in the way of POINTS and TD Passes. If he played for a team with a bad defense and needed to score 25-30 points regularly for a win, would he be 7-4? With a D that often holds the other teams to 20 or less and scores TDs themselves {2 defensive TDs in a 26-22 win over the Browns, did KP win that one?) it's a little easier to get away with not being able to score. For the TD passes don't matter crowd, what was the last NFL Championship team, after 1940, to win a title with a primary QB that averaged 0.5 TD passes per game.

Last edited:
All Ian Rapoport said was that Fields requested not to be traded to other teams that allegedly inquired. That's it. Did those other teams even make an offer? Was the offer more valuable to the Bears? It sure seems like the Fields camp is spinning as to why he didn't command much value in the marketplace. But in any case, there is absolutely nothing in Rapoport's tweets or that article that says other teams offered more for Fields than the Steelers did. Nothing.
The "Fields camp" owns Ian Rapoport. Obviously. He has no integrity. Obviously. There must be SOME evidence of that somewhere? It's funny you think that much effort was put into a conspiracy to make a backup QB trade look better.

Also, I was refuting the point that nobody else was interested. You're arguing the value of different trade offers. Clearly two different things. Maybe you're right and no specific offer was made from other teams or no better offer was made. My point still stands that other teams were interested. Anything else your source is 'thin air'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT