ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Koontz decommitted

If this year continues to spiral down hill,you will see some more kids jump ship.There are some questionable offers.I am not naming the player,but one committed player is from my area and is on the defensive side of the ball.I have seen him play 3 times and I still don't know what Pitt is thinking.This kid would be a project for a couple of years at a good PSAC school.The reality is one aweful recruiting class will set your program back a few years.I don't like the direction this program is heading.

That's why you cut bait, but but but we can't just accept the next coach they shove down our throats, unless it's a quality hire. We need to make sure Pitt does the RIGHT thing for a change. I for one dont want to hear, whoever they hire , we have to give them four years. If the hire is a bad one, I nor anyone else has to give them a month!

Per PSN he basically said Pitt does not pass the ball to their tight ends which is true.

This seems like a kid a staff should be able to keep by saying, “Yes we don’t throw to the TEs on the roster, because they don’t have the skills we need. You do and here is what we are going to do with you.”

You can say that stuff if you have an OC and coach on the same page and creative enough to use a TE in different ways.

You can't blame a kid after all it's his future . If he's having a good yr and getting interest from better programs he'd be a fool not to open up his recruitment . If he was stinking up the joint Pitt wouldn't hesitate to pull the offer .

If this year continues to spiral down hill,you will see some more kids jump ship.There are some questionable offers.I am not naming the player,but one committed player is from my area and is on the defensive side of the ball.I have seen him play 3 times and I still don't know what Pitt is thinking.This kid would be a project for a couple of years at a good PSAC school.The reality is one aweful recruiting class will set your program back a few years.I don't like the direction this program is heading.
Buzz theres a recruit down here in Wva that I don't think could play for my Alma Mater(Cal U). Narduzzi sees something in him that I don't.I hope the kid becomes an AA and proves this old high school coach wrong.

He played the whole 2017 season and
Well his chance in the NFL was always going to be as an undersized slot receiver so he should have worked on that aspect of his game...catching the ball with his hands, Running precise routes, getting into and out of his breaks etc. He didn't and that was that.
Couldn’t care less about Q’s NFL prospects. I’m talking about Pitt. As he proved in 2016, he was a huge weapon-a home run hitter- at the college level when properly utilized. In 2017 you never even noticed if he was on the field.

1. What information do you have that he wasn’t working to develop his receiving skills? I think you’d have to have been at practice every day for that to be anything but an unfounded assumption on your part.

2. He caught all of 17 balls in 2016 and probably wasn’t targeted more than 25 tines in the passing game the whole damned season. Hard to produce when you don’t get the ball thrown to you.

3. He was a weapon in space. Canada understood that and ran a variety of plays to get him the ball where he could exploit his talent. Not a lot of precision route running or great hands necessary to catch a 7 yard bubble, slant or drag. His 2017 production was less than half of 2016-and his 2017 touches were way down.

As Mike Leach famously described his offensive philosophy, “throw it short to people that can score.” There are dozens of ways to get the ball to an explosive playmaker in space. Canada showed us most of them.

He played the whole 2017 season and

Couldn’t care less about Q’s NFL prospects. I’m talking about Pitt. As he proved in 2016, he was a huge weapon-a home run hitter- at the college level when properly utilized. In 2017 you never even noticed if he was on the field.

1. What information do you have that he wasn’t working to develop his receiving skills? I think you’d have to have been at practice every day for that to be anything but an unfounded assumption on your part.

2. He caught all of 17 balls in 2016 and probably wasn’t targeted more than 25 tines in the passing game the whole damned season. Hard to produce when you don’t get the ball thrown to you.

3. He was a weapon in space. Canada understood that and ran a variety of plays to get him the ball where he could exploit his talent. Not a lot of precision route running or great hands necessary to catch a 7 yard bubble, slant or drag. His 2017 production was less than half of 2016-and his 2017 touches were way down.

As Mike Leach famously described his offensive philosophy, “throw it short to people that can score.” There are dozens of ways to get the ball to an explosive playmaker in space. Canada showed us most of them.

It's the OC

Buzz theres a recruit down here in Wva that I don't think could play for my Alma Mater(Cal U). Narduzzi sees something in him that I don't.I hope the kid becomes an AA and proves this old high school coach wrong.
I played at Ship. This kid wouldn’t sniff
I played at Ship.This kid would struggle against quality PSAC teams.It scares me when a kid has 2 or 3 power 5 offers besides Pitt.

And won 2 National Championships. And got a degree. And got the best possible coaching, training, and care while in college. And got to be around Alabama coeds for 5 years.
And maybe Foster would have more than 2 catches for 30 yards in the NFL if he caught more than 35 balls in college. Boyd caught 85 his freshman year, and 26 in his first 4 games this year. Foster has 2.

I played at Ship. This kid wouldn’t sniff

I played at Ship.This kid would struggle against quality PSAC teams.It scares me when a kid has 2 or 3 power 5 offers besides Pitt.
Wvu didn't offer him and from his chemistry class you can see Wvu's campus!Speaking of the Psac how about my Vulcans beating #2 IUP Saturday!

You have to love the narrative. Foster would have better off if he didn't win two national championships at Bama, and stayed home to play for mediocre teams. The fans saying this are the same ones who were anointing Pickett as a savior a few months ago, and as a washed up scrub now. The same fans who thought Narduzzi was a coaching genius a few months ago, and who want him canned now ASAP. Or some of the same ones who think it's a good idea that Wanny is rehired.

Given that Foster could have left Bama at any time and transferred away, but instead stayed for 5 years, pretty much tells you that he was happy there. If he couldn't catch enough passes there to get drafted, there is no reason to think that surrounded by worse QB's and worse talent at Pitt that he would have done any better. It's lunacy to think that.

Foster won two national championships, got his degree, and is in the NFL. I'd say that is more than 99.99999% of people here will ever accomplish.
It's lunacy to believe that playing football early in college increases your likelihood of being drafted? I wonder if Antonio Brown gets drafted if he were on scholarship at Bama. My guess is he'd be working at footlocker.

This isn't a great recruit, but his comments are worrisome. He has watched what Pitt does and it is clear the scheme wouldn't use him as anything more than a 6th OL. Now, many of our recruits won't have better options, so they basically cannot decommit, but the ones who can may see the schemes and the lack of success and be worried how they can be successful at Pitt.
I think it's part of the reason they never commit to begin with my dude

I think it's part of the reason they never commit to begin with my dude
Of course it is, but how many of the current commits were even really being recruited hard by Pitt during the last football season? If they weren't being recruited hard by Pitt how many of them do you think watched 2 Pitt games before they committed?

And maybe Foster would have more than 2 catches for 30 yards in the NFL if he caught more than 35 balls in college. Boyd caught 85 his freshman year, and 26 in his first 4 games this year. Foster has 2.
Boyd is in his 3rd season. Foster may never get there. Foster struggled with injuries and the playbook at Alabama. He started for multiple years. He wasn't buried on the depth chart.

You have to love the narrative. Foster would have better off if he didn't win two national championships at Bama, and stayed home to play for mediocre teams. The fans saying this are the same ones who were anointing Pickett as a savior a few months ago, and as a washed up scrub now. The same fans who thought Narduzzi was a coaching genius a few months ago, and who want him canned now ASAP. Or some of the same ones who think it's a good idea that Wanny is rehired.

Given that Foster could have left Bama at any time and transferred away, but instead stayed for 5 years, pretty much tells you that he was happy there. If he couldn't catch enough passes there to get drafted, there is no reason to think that surrounded by worse QB's and worse talent at Pitt that he would have done any better. It's lunacy to think that.

Foster won two national championships, got his degree, and is in the NFL. I'd say that is more than 99.99999% of people here will ever accomplish.
What about the fans who think we missed the boat on DiNucci? They deserve special mention as well.

After reading the story, it is kind of mind boggling that the Pitt coaches don't get it. He obviously wants to be more involved in the passing game. Based on what he said, other than the fact that Salem came to visit, he wasn't very enthused. Looks like he could be Georgia bound if they offer.

At least we don't lie to a kid to get his commitment, then have him leave after 1 or 2 years. I can respect he tells the truth to kids.

Ehh..every school has guys who change their minds.

Do yourself a favor and stop paying attention to the recruiting circus. It's a manufactured fake industry. The "experts" don't know any more than my dog. It's a big con job
That’s a bingo......

Guys running those recruiting services don’t know their arse from their elbow about judging high school kiddies. They can find out who the Alabama and Buckeyes of college are recruiting priorities, but aside from that it’s all poppycock.

It’s like monkeys throwing 15 darts at the WSJ.....they’d end up with portfolios as good as the suits doing it for a big chunk of your money.

I'm all for being honest but frankly, that article was comical. That explains why our recruiting is so uninspired bordering on bad. This staff is just incompetent. Why recruit TE's at all? Just throw another T out there like we've done with 87. Why even recruit the kid if you're too stupid to understand what he's looking for and too arrogant to even listen to him? This entire staff seems to have a very low ceiling and very low intelligence.

Deeper question is how does a team that struggles badly to pass the ball not utilize the easiest receiving option in the passing game--at all?

We did try to earlier in the season, we had like 5 drops? Our TEs were pretty bad. Amazing how well we passed to Orndoff, 600 yards receiving in 2016.

It is a silly thing to say. Smart people utilize the skill set they have as best they can while trying to get into their system.

Dude Orndoff played under Canada and before that under Chaney. Two well respected OC's. Now we did try to pass to the TE last year and he dropped a bunch. Our pass game looks best on play action roll out. Kenny doesn't seem comfortable reading defenses in the pocket. He sees the rush and takes his eyes from down field and starts running around with no intention of passing. Watson is no genius but Kenny looks traumatized out there; he has no faith in his line and he is regressing like another poster said. That has hurt the passing game more than anything. I don't like Salem either he just seems very weird. Mine as well let him go since TE is a linemen in our office and hire a passing game coordinator to help Watson. He run game stuff is okay.

We did try to earlier in the season, we had like 5 drops? Our TEs were pretty bad. Amazing how well we passed to Orndoff, 600 yards receiving in 2016.

It is a silly thing to say. Smart people utilize the skill set they have as best they can while trying to get into their system.

Throwing 3 balls to the TE is not trying.

We didn’t utilize the TE last year either.

I'm all for being honest but frankly, that article was comical. That explains why our recruiting is so uninspired bordering on bad. This staff is just incompetent. Why recruit TE's at all? Just throw another T out there like we've done with 87. Why even recruit the kid if you're too stupid to understand what he's looking for and too arrogant to even listen to him? This entire staff seems to have a very low ceiling and very low intelligence.
Yes, even the biggest coaching sycophants should be willing to admit the article paints them in a bad light and casts some doubts/ suspicions on why there's difficulty in recruiting. Now, it's possible "quotes were taken out of context" or our guy can't comment on current recruits blah blah so maybe there's another side of the story ... but don't think it's overtly negative to note this much based solely on the article.

Reactions: pittdan77
Have to say it’s a head scratcher the recent interview with Koontz. Why waste time recruiting if you know he prob won’t sign unless he feels he will get the ball...

With that being said Salem can recruit. Most players, coaches & families seem to really like him. He is our NJ/NY lead recruiter. He also has played a good role with FL (Partridge is our main FL guy).

He was the lead recruiter for recent Fl guys Brandon Hill & Khadry Jackson.

The lead recruiter for Bryce Nelms who has lots of upside.

He was the lead recruiter for a number of key players. Obviously KP has to do better but Salem was the main recruiter. He was the main recruiter for our starting MLB Reynolds. He was the main recruiter for Pinnock. The main guy for Brightwell.

NJ coaches praised the boss move he made showing up to a photo shoot of the top NJ players with guys like Phil Campbell and Ffrench.

Yes he was the lead recruiter for Ffrench who is really good.

In short he can recruit.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Yes, even the biggest coaching sycophants should be willing to admit the article paints them in a bad light and casts some doubts/ suspicions on why there's difficulty in recruiting. Now, it's possible "quotes were taken out of context" or our guy can't comment on current recruits blah blah so maybe there's another side of the story ... but don't think it's overtly negative to note this much based solely on the article.

Cant deny based on what the kid said that Salems alleged focus on run blocking was incredibly tone deaf at best. Whats puzzling is if you listened to Vucovans video, he said the visit went great and thought Koonz would eventually sign with Pitt.....Go figure. Duzz is also planning to visit the kid so perhaps he'll reassure him. A head scratcher none the less because Salem has been one of PItts better recruiters.

Dude Orndoff played under Canada and before that under Chaney. Two well respected OC's. Now we did try to pass to the TE last year and he dropped a bunch. Our pass game looks best on play action roll out. Kenny doesn't seem comfortable reading defenses in the pocket. He sees the rush and takes his eyes from down field and starts running around with no intention of passing. Watson is no genius but Kenny looks traumatized out there; he has no faith in his line and he is regressing like another poster said. That has hurt the passing game more than anything. I don't like Salem either he just seems very weird. Mine as well let him go since TE is a linemen in our office and hire a passing game coordinator to help Watson. He run game stuff is okay.
A QB who is not comfortable in the pocket is by DEFINITION not a QB

Have to say it’s a head scratcher the recent interview with Koontz. Why waste time recruiting if you know he prob won’t sign unless he feels he will get the ball...

With that being said Salem can recruit. Most players, coaches & families seem to really like him. He is our NJ/NY lead recruiter. He also has played a good role with FL (Partridge is our main FL guy).

He was the lead recruiter for recent Fl guys Brandon Hill & Khadry Jackson.

The lead recruiter for Bryce Nelms who has lots of upside.

He was the lead recruiter for a number of key players. Obviously KP has to do better but Salem was the main recruiter. He was the main recruiter for our starting MLB Reynolds. He was the main recruiter for Pinnock. The main guy for Brightwell.

NJ coaches praised the boss move he made showing up to a photo shoot of the top NJ players with guys like Phil Campbell and Ffrench.

Yes he was the lead recruiter for Ffrench who is really good.

In short he can recruit.

Cant be he's old and white........and none of the players you mentioned were 5 stars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT