ADVERTISEMENT

UCF is going to get in a P5 conference

Actually, it does. Otherwise you can’t explain Nebraska to the Big Ten, TCU and WVU to the Big 12, or Louisville to the ACC. It is one factor, and it is why Pitt is in the ACC and not Temple, Rutgers, or UConn.

Is Nebraska really a net drain on revenue for the Big 10? They average fourth in the conference in football home attendance at around 90,000 per game.

The Rutgers argument is a little confusing to me as well. Assuming we agree they're in the Big 10 because of TV market primarily, is your argument that the Big 10 had lower football standards than the ACC?

Just waltzed right past the second half of that post, didn't you?

I don’t follow you. Clearly each conference has had different strategies for expansion with each move they have made. Strength of programs is one factor considered in every invite, but is weighed differently depending on the particular conference’s goals and how it complements existing membership or fulfills particular “needs”.

Is Nebraska really a net drain on revenue for the Big 10? They average fourth in the conference in football home attendance at around 90,000 per game.

The Rutgers argument is a little confusing to me as well. Assuming we agree they're in the Big 10 because of TV market primarily, is your argument that the Big 10 had lower football standards than the ACC?

UNL is no drain. To your second point, no that is not my point, but yes, the Big Ten obviously gave less weight to program strength/pedigree in their last expansion than the ACC or Big 12.

In his presser, Narduzzi said they are going to get into a P5 league for whatever that's worth.

As I said, if they keep winning at this kind of rate, there's no way they will remain in the American Athletic. The Big 12 and Big 10 are most likely IMO. People will say no chance for the Big Ten but its the only P5 league without a school in 1 of the Big 3 recruiting states (FL, TX, CA). Ultimately though, the Big 12 is most likely.

Actually, Pitt's average SAT for 2018-19 was 1348, with an average composite ACT of 30.5. UCF's average SAT was 1181 with a composite ACT of 26. That is from the respective schools' own Common Data Sets.

US News rankings determine whether a school is a diploma mill or not. Diploma mills are institutions that over prioritize revenue coming from large enrollments thereby losing quality control of the degrees they award. WVU isn't one because their historic mission to educate any willing student in one of the poorest states in the union which dictates that they'll never be able to climb rankings of arbitrary methodologies. Much higgher ranked schools than WVU are absolutely diploma mills. There are many ways they hide their true institutional admissions numbers in pursuit of tuition revenue and game the rankings.

But undergraduate admissions scores are only one very small aspect of a major university. A large part of the academic reputation of a research institution like Pitt is made on the graduate level, where the overall faculty reputation is based on research productivity and impact. And in research fields, even undergraduates are advantaged by being in an environment with a plethora of diverse, cutting edge opportunities. To that end, Pitt is the 16th largest academic R&D complex in the nation, the 9th most competitive for the most prestigious funding sources, and is the 4th most in the biomedical health sciences. For comparison, UCF is 98th, 113th, and 225th, respectively. What that 181 extra years also gets you is a $4.2 billion endowment, which goes a lot further with Pitt's smaller enrollment than UCF's $0.0002 billion endowment. It also lets you achieve top 10 reputations in academic fields like philosophy and the health sciences that take decades and decades to build, not to mention allows you to collect a few national championships along the way. And even with UCF's significant advantages in state public subsidization, over a time period of public support that is only two years shorter than Pitt's, there is little danger of a significant narrowing of those gaps any time soon.

UCF's average SAT score according to the 2018-2019 CDS is actually 1240.

In his presser, Narduzzi said they are going to get into a P5 league for whatever that's worth.

As I said, if they keep winning at this kind of rate, there's no way they will remain in the American Athletic. The Big 12 and Big 10 are most likely IMO. People will say no chance for the Big Ten but its the only P5 league without a school in 1 of the Big 3 recruiting states (FL, TX, CA). Ultimately though, the Big 12 is most likely.
The Big 10 would poach Florida State and Georgia Tech before any thought of UCF crossed their minds.

The Big 10 would poach Florida State and Georgia Tech before any thought of UCF crossed their minds.

And Miami and Clemson, UNC, UVa, etc. But it takes 2 to tango. With the ACCN and GOR, I don't know that those schools would keave the ACC. Don't be surprised if UCF winds up in the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT