Reyna
Musah
Adams
Jedi (?)
Long
Zimmerman
??
Steffen

Whoa! See that!! I switch over to hoops and missed the post game. Thanks. I feel better about Sunday now.

When they were interviewing him after the game they asked if they would bring someone else in because of the suspensions. He said yes, and when they asked who he said Shaq Moore. So I guess that means Moore would be the only one, but there's got to be a pretty good chance he starts on Sunday.

When they were interviewing him after the game they asked if they would bring someone else in because of the suspensions. He said yes, and when they asked who he said Shaq Moore. So I guess that means Moore would be the only one, but there's got to be a pretty good chance he starts on Sunday.
Still don’t know why he didn’t call in Sargent when he lost Aaronson. Unless he called someone else up that I didn’t hear.

Unless he called someone else up that I didn’t hear.

They did not. I guess they decided that since they theoretically had a few more players than a full roster they didn't need another one.

If it were me, knowing that you have a bunch of guys on a yellow who could get suspended I've have brought in a ton of extra guys. Maybe I wouldn't have taken them all to Mexico, but they would have been in Orlando waiting for the team to get back.

BTW, doesn't it seem sort of excessive (if that's the right word) that if you get only two yellow cards over the course of 13 games you get suspended for a game? That seems awfully harsh. It should be something like two cards over any six game stretch or something like that.

They did not. I guess they decided that since they theoretically had a few more players than a full roster they didn't need another one.

If it were me, knowing that you have a bunch of guys on a yellow who could get suspended I've have brought in a ton of extra guys. Maybe I wouldn't have taken them all to Mexico, but they would have been in Orlando waiting for the team to get back.

BTW, doesn't it seem sort of excessive (if that's the right word) that if you get only two yellow cards over the course of 13 games you get suspended for a game? That seems awfully harsh. It should be something like two cards over any six game stretch or something like that.
Yeah. Especially in concacaf. Lol

I have to admit though, the guy tonight was good. I held my breath those two times Mexican players went down in the box and he called them both correctly, even giving a yellow to Mexico on the one, which doesn’t always get called.

The beauty of soccer is how marginalized countries and people are brought up to equal status of the elites. Maybe some calls are as you say "Concafed" but let's be honest most of these people are "CONCAFED" in life. So if the US or Canada has to struggle and overcome some injustices, well that kind of brings everyone all up to the same level. I think it is beautiful.

Yeah. Especially in concacaf. Lol

I have to admit though, the guy tonight was good. I held my breath those two times Mexican players went down in the box and he called them both correctly, even giving a yellow to Mexico on the one, which doesn’t always get called.
Yeah credit to him on that late one in the box to not only not call Morris, but to give the Mexican player a yellow.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Go find the second yellow on twitter. It's a joke. Canada got CONCACAF'd. Two guys walking past each other way away from the ball, they bump into each other and the Costa Rican player drops like he was shot by a sniper. And the ref, who I guarantee did not see it at all, gives the Canadian his second yellow.
That card was a freakin joke and where VAR could have taken care of that BS situation. That was a classic example of baiting the ref when he wasn’t looking.

Anyone know the scenario now? What results Sunday clinches WC for USAMNT?

How about Italy? Missing 2nd WC losing to North Macedonia. Those fans are feeling like Pitt Basketball about now :)

Anyone know the scenario now? What results Sunday clinches WC for USAMNT?
Not sure if you read this thread, but if the USA wins Sunday, they’d have to get blown out by Costa Rica on Wednesday not to make it. If we can’t beat Panama at home we don’t deserve qualification.

Reactions: Pitt79
Not sure if you read this thread, but if the USA wins Sunday, they’d have to get blown out by Costa Rica on Wednesday not to make it. If we can’t beat Panama at home we don’t deserve qualification.
Thanks, didn't go back and read it, and fell asleep by halftime last night! Saw it ended 0-0 so that's a point at Azteca. Had to get up early and after watching an entire basketball game, I kept dozing off :)

Thanks, didn't go back and read it, and fell asleep by halftime last night! Saw it ended 0-0 so that's a point at Azteca. Had to get up early and after watching an entire basketball game, I kept dozing off :)
We are up 7 goals on Costa Rica. If we lose both Sunday and Wednesday, and Costa Rica wins Sunday and Wednesday, then we are tied. But they have to make up 7 goals on us as I see it. If Panama beats us, then it brings them back into the mix and it gets a little more complicated. We just need to get our 3 points in Orlando and everything should take care of itself. I’d be curious what an ESPN % likelihood of qualifying is. It has to be like 80-90%. It would take a lot of things going the wrong way for us not to.

Reactions: Pitt79
We are up 7 goals on Costa Rica. If we lose both Sunday and Wednesday, and Costa Rica wins Sunday and Wednesday, then we are tied. But they have to make up 7 goals on us as I see it. If Panama beats us, then it brings them back into the mix and it gets a little more complicated. We just need to get our 3 points in Orlando and everything should take care of itself. I’d be curious what an ESPN % likelihood of qualifying is. It has to be like 80-90%. It would take a lot of things going the wrong way for us not to.
What was our % of likelihood when we lost to T&T? :)

Exactly. Or the likelihood that Italy lose to North freaking Macedonia. Or your Greece winning Euro’s. It’s a crazy game.
You gotta admit, Greece actually followed their long shot plan through the entire tournament in 2004 and against all odds it worked :)

Exactly. Or the likelihood that Italy lose to North freaking Macedonia. Or your Greece winning Euro’s. It’s a crazy game.

I saw this morning that in the betting odds North Macedonia closed at +1700. Which means 17-1 to win. So somewhere around a 5% chance.

I have seen in the past that going into the T&T game in the last cycle the US had a 94% chance to qualify. I don't know if that was based on betting odds or ESPN's or someone else's team ratings, but given what had to happen that day that seems like it's in the ball park.

If we lose both Sunday and Wednesday, and Costa Rica wins Sunday and Wednesday, then we are tied.

That's not right. Costa Rica is three points behind us. If we lost two and they win two they auto qualify and we would need Panama to fail to win their last game so that we could edge into playoff on goal difference.

If this team can't beat freaking Panama at home they don't deserve to go to a World Cup.

That card was a freakin joke and where VAR could have taken care of that BS situation. That was a classic example of baiting the ref when he wasn’t looking.

My understanding is that VAR did not change the call because VAR can only be used to overturn red cards, not yellow cards. Since it wasn't a straight red, it was a second yellow, VAR could not reverse the call even if they wanted to.

On the other hand, I haven't seen it but supposedly the first yellow the guy got was a really bad foul and a lot of people think he should have been given a straight red for that one.

I guess I should say lose by four goals given the current goal difference. Like if the US wins by one on Sunday and Costa Rica wins by three then they would only have to beat the US by three, and so on.
They are up 7 on GD on CR. If the US wins Sunday by 1, and lets say CR wins by 3, the US would have a GD of +10 and CR of +5. So CR would have to beat us by 5 or 6 in this example.

If we draw Panama, we guarantee AT LEAST a 4th place finish and a date with NZ in the 120 degree June Qatar heat. And we'd need a draw in CR to avoid that and qualify directly.

Basically, beat Panama and you're in. Draw and you need a point in CR

They are up 7 on GD on CR. If the US wins Sunday by 1, and lets say CR wins by 3, the US would have a GD of +10 and CR of +5. So CR would have to beat us by 5 or 6 in this example.

That is not correct. In your example, if the US goes into the Costa Rica match +10 and CR is +5, you understand that CR winning by five goals would make the US +5 and CR +10, right?

No, you obviously don't. Because math is hard.

In your example, CR would have to win the game by three goals, not five or six. Because 10-3 < 5+3.

The other thing besides goal difference that is helping the US is that the next tiebreaker after goal diference is total goals scored. The US has scored 16 and CR has scored only 9. So most likely Costa Rica is going to have to beat the US on goal difference, because it's going to be hard for them to score seven more goals in the last two games than the US does.

CR is a terrible national team. You can even tell on this Spanish broadcast it was bunk. CR has a history of this kind of after action nonsense Joel Campbell did it years ago against us years back. My thoughts to stomp this crap out. Sure the official can error on the field. But that gets reviewed after the match ends. Red card rescinded on the initial recipient and red card for simulation get issued. That will stop this crap yesterday once players start picking up red cards. But no federation or FA will ever dare do that.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
CR is a terrible national team. You can even tell on this Spanish broadcast it was bunk. CR has a history of this kind of after action nonsense Joel Campbell did it years ago against us years back. My thoughts to stomp this crap out. Sure the official can error on the field. But that gets reviewed after the match ends. Red card rescinded on the initial recipient and red card for simulation get issued. That will stop this crap yesterday once players start picking up red cards. But no federation or FA will ever dare do that.

Not only that, but we will be seeing memes of that forever now, just like Neymar rolling around on the sideline at the last World Cup. And people will laugh and say the sport sucks, yada, yada, yada…and that’s fine but allowing that stuff to metastasis in the sport sucks too and it should be stomped out. Because no soccer fans like that shit.

That is not correct. In your example, if the US goes into the Costa Rica match +10 and CR is +5, you understand that CR winning by five goals would make the US +5 and CR +10, right?

No, you obviously don't. Because math is hard.

In your example, CR would have to win the game by three goals, not five or six. Because 10-3 < 5+3.

The other thing besides goal difference that is helping the US is that the next tiebreaker after goal diference is total goals scored. The US has scored 16 and CR has scored only 9. So most likely Costa Rica is going to have to beat the US on goal difference, because it's going to be hard for them to score seven more goals in the last two games than the US does.
I forgot about that part but yea, if they beat Panama, they basically cant lose to CR by 3 or 4 or whatever it ends up being. What a choke job that would be. And this is the worst CR team in at least the last 3-4 cycles. I can't believe some of those old dudes still play.

I forgot about that part but yea, if they beat Panama, they basically cant lose to CR by 3 or 4 or whatever it ends up being. What a choke job that would be. And this is the worst CR team in at least the last 3-4 cycles. I can't believe some of those old dudes still play.
Yeah. That’s what I said earlier in the thread. There’s no possible way the US fails to qualify here. It would take a number of unlikely events all happening at the same time.

but, we will always have T&T so…

I think El Salvador gets at least a draw at home against Costa Rica tomorrow and we'll have it all wrapped up by the end of the day.

I think El Salvador gets at least a draw at home against Costa Rica tomorrow and we'll have it all wrapped up by the end of the day.
Yeah. Luckily we have an American coach and a couple Americans on the roster. They’ll all be battling hard.

Yeah. Luckily we have an American coach and a couple Americans on the roster. They’ll all be battling hard.

There was a guy who called into the United States of Soccer on Friday who said he was Salvadoran and that they don't like the Costa Ricans at all, so they would be putting out their best effort to try to deny Costa Rica the win. I have no idea if he meant that Salvadorans don't like Costa Ricans just in football, or if there is some deeper, geopolitical thing going on there. Or hey, maybe that guy was just full of crap.

But El Savador is close enough as a team to Costa Rica to think that if they play well at home they can get a result.

There was a guy who called into the United States of Soccer on Friday who said he was Salvadoran and that they don't like the Costa Ricans at all, so they would be putting out their best effort to try to deny Costa Rica the win. I have no idea if he meant that Salvadorans don't like Costa Ricans just in football, or if there is some deeper, geopolitical thing going on there. Or hey, maybe that guy was just full of crap.

But El Savador is close enough as a team to Costa Rica to think that if they play well at home they can get a result.
Let’s face it, it’s football right? And it’s national pride. They are certainly geographic rivals so there’s a strong chance it’s competitive. Heck even dreadful Honduras got a result the other night.

as far as today in Orlando, not sure why but I’m feeling a comfortable USA win…maybe like 2-0 or more.

I know the ratings are a joke at times, but when we get closer to the World Cup draw, I suppose they become important. How is Belgium #1 with how things have gone in the past year? And how is Mexico still ranked ahead of the US? Surely #13 is too high for us and it’s due to the formula…but if you compare us to another team in our region who we are in a long unbeaten streak against and ahead of in the concacaf table, it doesn’t make much sense to me.

Belgium has played 15 competitive matches (qualifiers, Euros, Nations League) since the beginning of 2021. They are 10-3-2 in those games. France, to pick another highly ranked European team, has played 14 competitive matches in that same time frame. They haven't lost any of them! But on the other hand, they've only won eight of them. 8-0-6. England, on the other hand, is 14-0-4. But England surely started 2021 ranked well below both Belgium and France, so they had a lot of ground to make up. And their WC qualifying group was, well, really bad, and you don't get as much of a bump for beating San Marino (or is it Dan Marino?), Albania and Andorra twice each in qualifiers as you would actually beating teams with a pulse.

Or, long story short, who knows?

Having said that, the current system is surely better than they one that they used to use, which as Switzerland showed to good effect, actually rewarded teams for not playing friendlies. Under that system the US could play a friendly against Germany in Germany and beat them and have their number of ranking points actually go down. Which was completely insane. Their current system is a modified ELO system, so winning a game is always at least a small benefit to your ranking points and losing a game always costs you at least a small number of ranking points.

I see that little sh!t cu nt Joel Campbell has put CR ahead 2-1 against El Salvador. If we win tonight, it's a guarantee at a minimum 3rd place. I can't see Derp going down to CR and getting a +6 goal differential wiped out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT