ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting Atlanta for the Peach Bowl? Read This!

May 9, 2008
So you're coming to Atlanta for the Peach Bowl! Welcome! Atlanta is a world class city with lots to offer. I put together a brief guide to help make your stay enjoyable. Hope it is helpful.

Getting Around:

Hartsfield Jackson International Airport (Hartsfield) is the busiest airport in the United States. You should have no problem getting a flight. As a bonus, there's also no need to rent a car! We have a rapid transit system called MARTA that's pretty good if you're going straight North-South or East-West, which you are if you're coming for the game. Whether you're staying in Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, or Decatur, all are accessible by MARTA. You should plan to use MARTA as a first choice from the airport.

Seriously, DO NOT rent a car. It is not necessary and Atlanta has enough of them. MARTA will take you from the airport to your hotel in Downtown in 10 mins and Midtown in 15 mins. Buckhead is about 40 minutes. All times on MARTA are faster than driving.

Neighborhoods:

Atlanta does not have a fixed central area like Downtown Pittsburgh or Center City Philadelphia. The city is built on a series of rolling hills and there's only one minor river (the Chattahoochee) which is far from where you'll be. Atlanta also didn't become a major US city until the mid-20th century. Growth was therefore somewhat haphazard and resulted in the build-up of numerous areas, about 3 of which compare in size to Downtown Pittsburgh. The below is a rundown of the major areas where you may consider staying:
  • Downtown: offices, government services, Georgia State University, Mercedes Benz Stadium, Aquarium, College Football Hall of Fame, World of Coke, MLK park. There are some restaurants but I don't go here much because it's pretty far from me. Probably a bit more homeless here than in other areas if that kind of thing bothers you. Oakland Cemetery is cool if you're looking for an outdoor place to walk around and there are a few rooftop bars across from it to use on a nice day.
  • Midtown: Georgia Tech, plurality of the good restaurants/bars in the city, museums, Piedmont Park, etc. This is probably where I would stay but it's 10 mins from the team hotel and you'd be more on your own than you would be in downtown. You'd have to figure out more stuff for yourself. Piedmont Park is the largest park in the city, great for walking and they may have holiday stuff going on. Also a few bars and restaurants on the outskirts of the park if you want to take a break for food/drink.
  • Buckhead: financial district about 20-30 mins north of Midtown/Downtown. Lots of high end shopping and nightlife. Too far IMO if you're just coming for more than the game but it's in play if you can get a cheap hotel and you just want to go to the game.
  • Decatur: cute little town centralized on a pedestrian mall. Lots of restaurants/art. Reminds me of Shadyside. Like it here but it's a solid 20-30 mins from the stadium. Very safe if you're worried about that thing in other areas.
Restaurants/Life:

Since we have so many good restaurants and bars, you have a lot of options! That's great but it can be intimidating. Don't be afraid to leave Downtown for a bite to eat. The rest of the city has so much to offer and much of it is just a short Uber away. I think rather than describe my favorite places I'll just list places that I've been to which are great and I can easily recommend. In no particular order:

Downtown/Inman Park:
  • Superica
  • Bar Mercado
  • Kevin Rathbun Steak
  • Barcelona Wine Bar
  • Hampton & Hudson
  • Bread & Butterfly
  • Beetlecat
Midtown:
  • Two Urban Licks
  • Nine Mile Station
  • Empire State South
  • Cypress Street Pint & Plate
  • Cooks & Soldiers
  • Marcel
  • JCT Kitchen
  • 5Church
Decatur:
  • Leon's Full Service
  • The Iberian Pig
  • Revival
Buckhead:
  • Bones
  • King & Duke
  • Gypsy Kitchen
Bars:
  • Georgia Beer Garden
  • Red Phone Booth
  • Joystick game bar
  • Victory Sandwich Bar
  • Ladybird
  • Venkman's
  • Publik Draft House (next to the Fox Theater)
  • Cypress Street
  • Ormsby's
  • Little Trouble
  • Moondog's (if you want to smoke inside)
  • Five Paces/Lost Dog/Big Sky (if you want to get weird with a 24 year old)
  • Johnny's Hideaway (if you want to get weird with a woman of a certain age)
  • Twain's

What I Would Do:

I'd stay in Downtown either for the proximity to the game and team events or Midtown for the better quality of life.

Definitely MARTA or Uber. Do not rent a car. Driving here is terrible.

If you just can't get enough football: College Football Hall of Fame.
If you have kids: Aquarium, Zoo, or Botanical Gardens.
If you want to see a non-football museum: Center for Human Rights or High Museum of Art
If you want to go on a bar crawl: walk the pedestrian only "Beltline," from Krog Street Market (about a 5 min Uber from Downtown) to Ponce City Market. It is the city's best greenway. Tons of amazing restaurants and bars along the whole length. Grab lunch at 9 Mile Station at the top of Ponce City Market (make a reservation).
If you want the best nightlife: Edgewood.

Enjoy your time in Atlanta! Feel free to DM me if you want more specific advice and H2P.

Last edited:
really great post

we'll have an 8 yr old and 12 yr old and we'll be there until saturday. any advice for new years eve?

any non-chain restaurants for families you'd recommend? i hear we need to try Varsity.

I should add that we're staying at the Embassy Suites near the stadium

Last edited:
really great post

we'll have an 8 yr old and 12 yr old and we'll be there until saturday. any advice for new years eve?

any non-chain restaurants for families you'd recommend? i hear we need to try Varsity.

The standard things to do with kids are: Aquarium, Zoo, Botanical Gardens, and Fernbank Museum of Natural History.

I'd also consider walking on the Beltline. Good way for them to burn off some energy and there are small parks and art to explore on the way. Additionally, you can walk to Ponce City Market which has a small boardwalk style arcade on top with a few, expensive, games, a slide, and a big swing you can go on. Really cool views. The Beltline also lets you walk to Piedmont Park and there should be ice skating at Park Tavern.

Further out:

- There's a winter village/Santa at Atlantic Station and they have shops and a movie theater as well.
- I've never been to LEGOland in Phipps Mall but that might be cool if you kids love LEGOs.
- Stone Mountain has a New Years event and it includes tickets to a winter tubing park that I've heard is cool.
- Light show at Six Flags.

Not sure about non-chain family friendly restaurants. Atlantic Station and Ponce City Market would probably be the easiest since you can walk around and you'll have a variety of options. I don't have kids yet (first is coming on December 22) and my nephew and nieces refuse to sit and eat so that's a tougher call. IMO the Varsity is not very good but I know that out of towners like it.

Reactions: DruidTM and FatDave
lol I wasn't going to get into that but I prefer the Cheetah.
It was either last Friday or the Friday before, but Bomani Jones has Dominique Foxworth on his podcast every Friday and they probably had a 10 minute conversation about Atlanta's specific approach to developing its strip club industry.

I live in NC so it makes more sense to drive than fly, but not looking forward to the 8 lane highways again. Parking at my hotel in downtown and don't plan on moving it until I leave.

Reactions: bmz32
I'm disappointed there was no reference to Magic City here. I've heard they have great wings.
LOL...I was going to throw that out there but thought better of it due to there may be some underagers on the board. Butt yes...it's a must see if you've never been. And yes, I spelled BUTT like this for a reason.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I live in NC so it makes more sense to drive than fly, but not looking forward to the 8 lane highways again. Parking at my hotel in downtown and don't plan on moving it until I leave.
We're heading in from Raleigh but everything ive read says 'dont drive' including this thread.

The standard things to do with kids are: Aquarium, Zoo, Botanical Gardens, and Fernbank Museum of Natural History.

I'd also consider walking on the Beltline. Good way for them to burn off some energy and there are small parks and art to explore on the way. Additionally, you can walk to Ponce City Market which has a small boardwalk style arcade on top with a few, expensive, games, a slide, and a big swing you can go on. Really cool views. The Beltline also lets you walk to Piedmont Park and there should be ice skating at Park Tavern.

Further out:

- There's a winter village/Santa at Atlantic Station and they have shops and a movie theater as well.
- I've never been to LEGOland in Phipps Mall but that might be cool if you kids love LEGOs.
- Stone Mountain has a New Years event and it includes tickets to a winter tubing park that I've heard is cool.
- Light show at Six Flags.

Not sure about non-chain family friendly restaurants. Atlantic Station and Ponce City Market would probably be the easiest since you can walk around and you'll have a variety of options. I don't have kids yet (first is coming on December 22) and my nephew and nieces refuse to sit and eat so that's a tougher call. IMO the Varsity is not very good but I know that out of towners like it.
this is great information. thanks so much!

images

Reactions: mike412
So you're coming to Atlanta for the Peach Bowl! Welcome! Atlanta is a world class city with lots to offer. I put together a brief guide to help make your stay enjoyable. Hope it is helpful.

Getting Around:

Hartsfield Jackson International Airport (Hartsfield) is the busiest airport in the United States. You should have no problem getting a flight. As a bonus, there's also no need to rent a car! We have a rapid transit system called MARTA that's pretty good if you're going straight North-South or East-West, which you are if you're coming for the game. Whether you're staying in Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, or Decatur, all are accessible by MARTA. You should plan to use MARTA as a first choice from the airport.

Seriously, DO NOT rent a car. It is not necessary and Atlanta has enough of them. MARTA will take you from the airport to your hotel in Downtown in 10 mins and Midtown in 15 mins. Buckhead is about 40 minutes. All times on MARTA are faster than driving.

Neighborhoods:

Atlanta does not have a fixed central area like Downtown Pittsburgh or Center City Philadelphia. The city is built on a series of rolling hills and there's only one minor river (the Chattahoochee) which is far from where you'll be. Atlanta also didn't become a major US city until the mid-20th century. Growth was therefore somewhat haphazard and resulted in the build-up of numerous areas, about 3 of which compare in size to Downtown Pittsburgh. The below is a rundown of the major areas where you may consider staying:
  • Downtown: offices, government services, Georgia State University, Mercedes Benz Stadium, Aquarium, College Football Hall of Fame, World of Coke, MLK park. There are some restaurants but I don't go here much because it's pretty far from me. Probably a bit more homeless here than in other areas if that kind of thing bothers you. Oakland Cemetery is cool if you're looking for an outdoor place to walk around and there are a few rooftop bars across from it to use on a nice day.
  • Midtown: Georgia Tech, plurality of the good restaurants/bars in the city, museums, Piedmont Park, etc. This is probably where I would stay but it's 10 mins from the team hotel and you'd be more on your own than you would be in downtown. You'd have to figure out more stuff for yourself. Piedmont Park is the largest park in the city, great for walking and they may have holiday stuff going on. Also a few bars and restaurants on the outskirts of the park if you want to take a break for food/drink.
  • Buckhead: financial district about 20-30 mins north of Midtown/Downtown. Lots of high end shopping and nightlife. Too far IMO if you're just coming for more than the game but it's in play if you can get a cheap hotel and you just want to go to the game.
  • Decatur: cute little town centralized on a pedestrian mall. Lots of restaurants/art. Reminds me of Shadyside. Like it here but it's a solid 20-30 mins from the stadium. Very safe if you're worried about that thing in other areas.
Restaurants/Life:

Since we have so many good restaurants and bars, you have a lot of options! That's great but it can be intimidating. Don't be afraid to leave Downtown for a bite to eat. The rest of the city has so much to offer and much of it is just a short Uber away. I think rather than describe my favorite places I'll just list places that I've been to which are great and I can easily recommend. In no particular order:

Downtown/Inman Park:
  • Superica
  • Bar Mercado
  • Kevin Rathbun Steak
  • Barcelona Wine Bar
  • Hampton & Hudson
  • Bread & Butterfly
  • Beetlecat
Midtown:
  • Two Urban Licks
  • Nine Mile Station
  • Empire State South
  • Cooks & Soldiers
  • Marcel
  • JCT Kitchen
  • 5Church
Decatur:
  • Leon's Full Service
  • The Iberian Pig
  • Revival
Buckhead:
  • Bones
  • King & Duke
  • Gypsy Kitchen
Bars:
  • Georgia Beer Garden
  • Red Phone Booth
  • Joystick game bar
  • Victory Sandwich Bar
  • Ladybird
  • Venkman's
  • Cypress Street
  • Ormsby's
  • Little Trouble
  • Twain's

What I Would Do:

I'd stay in Downtown either for the proximity to the game and team events or Midtown for the better quality of life.

If you want to see a non-football museum: Center for Human Rights or High Museum of Art
If you want to go on a bar crawl: walk the pedestrian only "Beltline," from Krog Street Market (about a 5 min Uber from Downtown) to Ponce City Market. It is the city's best greenway. Tons of amazing restaurants and bars along the whole length. Grab lunch at 9 Mile Station at the top of Ponce City Market (make a reservation).

Enjoy your time in Atlanta! Feel free to DM me if you want more specific advice and H2P.

Is the Coca Cola museum really worth it for kids. A Coke attraction seems kind of stupid to me but what do I know.

Is the Coca Cola museum really worth it for kids. A Coke attraction seems kind of stupid to me but what do I know.

I'm not a huge fan TBH but other people seem to like it. You know your kids better than me. If they like outdoor stuff, take them on the Beltline and to Ponce City Market. Or do the Aquarium, Zoo, Botanical Gardens, or Fernbank.

The Center for Puppetry Arts is also apparently fun for kids but I've never been.

I'm not a huge fan TBH but other people seem to like it. You know your kids better than me. If they like outdoor stuff, take them on the Beltline and to Ponce City Market. Or do the Aquarium, Zoo, Botanical Gardens, or Fernbank.

The Center for Puppetry Arts is also apparently fun for kids but I've never been.

Not a fan of other cities' aquariums, zoos, etc. Those are a dime a dozen unless its like the best in the nation

The Botanical Gardens are great. It's not just like Phipps (which is great too) -- there is an elevated canopy walk, the largest collection of orchids in the world, more outdoor space in total.

Not a fan of other cities' aquariums, zoos, etc. Those are a dime a dozen unless its like the best in the nation

The Georgia Aquarium is the best in the country. It has the biggest tank in the world (corrected, formerly biggest in the world; current biggest is in Asia). UPS even flew in a whale shark from China. It's the only aquarium outside of Asia with a whale shark.

Great post!

Bones in Buckhead is one of the best steak joints in the country. Right up there with Peter Lugar’s in Brooklyn. Very expensive but if you really love steak it’s worth the money.

I will add some more places to eat after I discuss it with my brother, who has lived in Atlanta for 40 years.

There used to be a great but little-known strip club right inside the northern section of the beltway. Sorority girls from Auburn used to drive down and work there on Friday and Saturday nights, then drive back on Sunday. Alas, it is gone.

I am not an Atlanta expert but as I mentioned in another thread:
If you are driving to Atlanta, get a hotel near MARTA or in Downtown /Midtown and then Marta/walk/Uber until you leave town. That’s what I do every time, only use my car to get into the area and back out.

Getting Around:

Neighborhoods:

Restaurants/Life:

Downtown/Inman Park:
  • Superica
  • Bar Mercado
  • Kevin Rathbun Steak
  • Barcelona Wine Bar
  • Hampton & Hudson
  • Bread & Butterfly
  • Beetlecat
Midtown:
  • Two Urban Licks
  • Nine Mile Station
  • Empire State South
  • Cooks & Soldiers
  • Marcel
  • JCT Kitchen
  • 5Church
Decatur:
  • Leon's Full Service
  • The Iberian Pig
  • Revival
Buckhead:
  • Bones
  • King & Duke
  • Gypsy Kitchen
Bars:
  • Georgia Beer Garden
  • Red Phone Booth
  • Joystick game bar
  • Victory Sandwich Bar
  • Ladybird
  • Venkman's
  • Cypress Street
  • Ormsby's
  • Little Trouble
  • Twain's

What I Would Do:

My second favorite American city.

really great post

Check out Stone Mountain if you'll have a car and like outdoors stuff. Great way to spend a day with the kids away from the city.

really great post

Been to varsity several times with kids. It is like if the O was in a worse part of town. We enjoyed it, and the kids got a little hat to wear, but as parents we were like 'OOOOKKK... lets hurry this up" Not saying not to go there, but for a ordinary greasy burger, it is more of a landmark than a great restaurant to go to.

We like Yeah! Burger with the kids, good milkshakes too. I havent been to Atlanta since before the pandemic, but lots of great places to eat. The aquarium is a must for the kids though, they have a clear domed archway/hallway through the aquarium you can walk through and literally be in the middle of the sharks and fish. My kids were jaw-dropped. Most of our experiences have been near GT as we have been to 4 Pitt games there.

Been to varsity several times with kids. It is like if the O was in a worse part of town. We enjoyed it, and the kids got a little hat to wear, but as parents we were like 'OOOOKKK... lets hurry this up" Not saying not to go there, but for a ordinary greasy burger, it is more of a landmark than a great restaurant to go to.
Good info, sounds like we'll pass.

@lilspainishflea do you know if tickets for the College Football HOF are required to be purchased ahead of time, or are walk-ups allowed? I’ve seen conflicting information.

Getting Around:

Neighborhoods:

Restaurants/Life:

Downtown/Inman Park:
  • Superica
  • Bar Mercado
  • Kevin Rathbun Steak
  • Barcelona Wine Bar
  • Hampton & Hudson
  • Bread & Butterfly
  • Beetlecat
Midtown:
  • Two Urban Licks
  • Nine Mile Station
  • Empire State South
  • Cooks & Soldiers
  • Marcel
  • JCT Kitchen
  • 5Church
Decatur:
  • Leon's Full Service
  • The Iberian Pig
  • Revival
Buckhead:
  • Bones
  • King & Duke
  • Gypsy Kitchen
Bars:
  • Georgia Beer Garden
  • Red Phone Booth
  • Joystick game bar
  • Victory Sandwich Bar
  • Ladybird
  • Venkman's
  • Cypress Street
  • Ormsby's
  • Little Trouble
  • Twain's

What I Would Do:

I just wanna bump this so I can scroll to it easier this month

@lilspainishflea One more question for you, albeit an odd one. Is there a barber shop/shaving parlor that you’d recommend in downtown or midtown? The Shave Barber Company looks intriguing, but they’re a little outside of the city.

The Georgia Aquarium is the best in the country. It has the biggest tank in the world (corrected, formerly biggest in the world; current biggest is in Asia). UPS even flew in a whale shark from China. It's the only aquarium outside of Asia with a whale shark.
It's ok. I like the aquarium in Baltimore better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT