ADVERTISEMENT

who is the most overrated Pittsburgh athlete ever?

He's not overrated to me! He can't be overrated if you can't remember him?

I guess, I barely do remember him, but not as someone any good? What position did he play?
well it was kind of a joke. the guy was a marketing tool, with a bad ass poster.. this for a player who was terrible. that's kind of the joke.. not to be taken serious.

damn pitt79, im starting to think you just like to take the opposite side of the majority, no matter what the topic is, just to argue.. im all for the contrarian poster and all but you take it to a new level.

from the guy that has not watched a baseball game since 1992...got it.

But before '92 I was watching, and this guy's career was before '92. The Pirates 3 year playoff run, '90-'92 where the last years I actually watched baseball. '92 I moved to Baltimore, Pirates let the good players walk, then I realized if the Pirates aren't good I don't care, and quit watching. But I did go to a lot of games at Camden Yards in the '90s, for the social aspects.

well it was kind of a joke. the guy was a marketing tool, with a bad ass poster.. this for a player who was terrible. that's kind of the joke.. not to be taken serious.

damn pitt79, im starting to think you just like to take the opposite side of the majority, no matter what the topic is, just to argue.. im all for the contrarian poster and all but you take it to a new level.
I actually did remember the name when I read your post, just didn't remember how he played? I don't remember the poster and the Rambo nickname.

from the guy that has not watched a baseball game since 1992...got it.
I tried to watch baseball last night for some reason, the batter was up, taking pitch after pitch, fouling balls off, and the one guy was having a discussion with Rick Sutcliffe about interviewing people, and Rick was talking about how he used to get so nervous that he almost quit broadcasting, and after about 8-10 pitches, the batter drew a walk, lol, and I was like why in the hell do people like this? and flipped the channel to ANYTHING ELSE.

I actually did remember the name when I read your post, just didn't remember how he played? I don't remember the poster and the Rambo nickname.
its one of those things as a young swerve, I thought he was a bad ass, mainly due to that poster. saw him as this home run threat. finally looked up his stats and had to laugh.. I guess the pirates in mid 80's didnt' have much to market. Madlock, Parker, Jason Thompson must have all been gone and this was before Barry and Bonilla were around..

he did not play poorly and he is leading the league in playoff points as he has been since the first series, idiot

you continue to ride fleury's jock, who as i predicted ended up being the weak link and is on the bench where he belongs as the pens advance
You clearly do not know what weak link means.

i don't live on forums like you do and i was not silent, i said fleury had been their playoff mvp at that point

and how am i the joke when i was proven right, in the end fleury was proven to be the weak link

the joke is you being such a fanboy you can't even see it while he sits the bench LOL
The entire team was trash that game...blaming Fleury is stupid.

Reactions: Pittx9
The thing is, is there anyone out there who actually doesn't think he is the worst player in pirates history? I think everyone was always in agreeance he was absolutely pathetic.

Bad, but I don't think he can top Lastings Milledge in that regard.

Looked up Milledge's stats . . . apparently he performed better than I recall . . . would fit right in with the Pirates' lineup these days

Looked up Milledge's stats . . . apparently he performed better than I recall . . . would fit right in with the Pirates' lineup these days
Honestly if you would've just said lastings milledge, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I just knew nobody has ever been nearly as bad as Derek bell lol.

George Hendrick might have something to say about that.
Before my time but I looked at his numbers with Pittsburgh, the '01 pirates would've killed to have him on the team over Derek bell. Actually the only guys almost anywhere close to as bad as bell were some of his teammates, pat meares and warren Morris.

uhhhhhh.........

Tony Watson?????
He was one of the best relievers in baseball for a decent while. Right now though, as a closer, he legit might be the worst closer we've had here in many, many years. The second blown save of back to backs against the o's was almost unbelievable, like I really didn't think he could be THAT bad every single night. The pirates flat out are not trying to win right now if they're throwing him out there in that role continually.

The entire team was trash that game...blaming Fleury is stupid.

the coach pretty much put all the blame on him, sending him to the bench despite him being their mvp at their point

the coach hasn't been wrong yet, he reminds me of me LOL

people are literally crying over fleury leaving, that is why he is overrated, who the hell cries over career mediocrity?

Actually, the other thread about the most UNDERrated athlete got me to thinking, and caused me to change my earlier nomination and go with this guy as the most overrated:

Elroy Face

People talk about his "remarkable" 18-1 W/L season coming out of the bullpen, but now many of those were actually blown saves that the Pirates came back and won for him, crediting the win to his record? Of course, back then blown saves wasn't a concept anyone had come up with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT